Trey Lance

BCJet

While the Jets are a full on disaster, I still think getting to #1 overall, either through record or trade is gonna be difficult.  

So assuming we have a top 6 pick, JD can likely find a HC candidate like Greg Roman, Brian Daboll or Arthur Smith who can be paired with an athletic QB who needs a year of development like Lance (or Fields).  Lance in particular to me seems like an excellent developmental player who we can draft with our own 1st rounder and allow to sit for 8-12 games in 2021 while we get a look at Sam with an actual coach and can then make a decision. 

After his performance Saturday it seems like he was a bit rusty throwing the ball but ran it extremely well.  At 6'3 226 he has excellent size for the position to be able to work a few designed runs each week.  He has experience under center ant NDSU but would benefit from a year on the bench learning the pro game.

To me this seems more realistic then mortgaging the farm for Lawerence as we can use our additional first round pick to continue building the rest of the roster and then see what holes we have in the 2022 draft and address those with the 2 firsts to build around either a much improved Darnold or Lance and his ability to run, etc.

• Upvote 1

I’m done taking kids with limited college careers. Sanchez: 16ish starts; Darnold: 24ish starts but also only started playing QB in his second or third year of high school.

The reps simply aren’t there for these inexperienced guys. And as much as I hate it, it’s not enough to say, “well he’s only 21 so he has time to develop”, because (1) a lot can go wrong like hiring Adam Gase, and (2) the clock on the rookie contract starts the day you sign - regardless of your age.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 10/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, Untouchable said:

Either we get the #1 pick and take Lawrence, or we build the sh*t out of the team around Darnold with hopefully a guy like Daboll or Roman leading the way.

I’m not taking a QB just for the sake of taking one.

If we don’t get the 1st pick, then grab someone like Sewell or Chase.

This is it. The only way Sam ISN’T back next year with a new coach is if we have a shot at Lawrence.

27 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is it. The only way Sam ISN’T back next year with a new coach is if we have a shot at Lawrence.

New regimes always mean new QB's.  There is no good case to be made for Darnold being back in 2021.  The Jets are headed for a top 3 pick and this is looking like a 3-QB class.  Just saying its "Lawrence or bust" doesn't make it so.

• Upvote 2

On 10/10/2020 at 8:36 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

New regimes always mean new QB's.  There is no good case to be made for Darnold being back in 2021.  The Jets are headed for a top 3 pick and this is looking like a 3-QB class.  Just saying its "Lawrence or bust" doesn't make it so.

See what Sam does with a real head coach and WRs.  If he’s ok jets can trade him for picks at the deadline and then move on with Trevor 

• Post of the Week 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, Untouchable said:

Either we get the #1 pick and take Lawrence, or we build the sh*t out of the team around Darnold with hopefully a guy like Daboll or Roman leading the way.

I’m not taking a QB just for the sake of taking one.

If we don’t get the 1st pick, then grab someone like Sewell or Chase.

Regardless of who our QB is, we need the RIGHT head coach. But, this will be especially true if we keep Darnold.

The entire offensive system and roster needs to be built specifically to accent his skillset - Motion, rollouts, playaction, strong zone run game, middle of the field routes, and uptempo.

Lawrence will be special, but Sam still has a chance to be a good starter in this league, and with a good team and coach you can win consistently with that.

33 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Regardless of who our QB is, we need the RIGHT head coach. But, this will be especially true if we keep Darnold.

The entire offensive system and roster needs to be built specifically to accent his skillset - Motion, rollouts, playaction, strong zone run game, middle of the field routes, and uptempo.

Lawrence will be special, but Sam still has a chance to be a good starter in this league, and with a good team and coach you can win consistently with that.

Save it with Darnold 

Once upon a time the kid had a ton of promise and possessed the potential to be a legit Top 5 QB in this league for the better part of two decades.

That’s gone.

Kaput.

Maybe he resurrects his career elsewhere and becomes an Alex Smith-type. Maybe, maybe not. Who really cares, he’s done as a Jet. That’s a given.

As for the right HC? Agreed there.

And I say that you don’t dick around with another coordinator with pie in the sky aspirations.

You go get an actual program builder who can transform a franchise. That’s not Eric Bienemy. That’s not Brian Daboll. That’s not Greg Roman.

Maybe there’s an outside shot that is happens, but I’m tired of banking on that silly sh*t with no more than a hope and a prayer to base it on.

You go make a move. A big time, “we won’t take this sh*t anymore” type of move.

You go land the proven. A guy who has shown in the past that he can do it and you feel very confident in him doing it again.

Whether it be Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, trading that Seattle 1st rounder for the rights to Sean Payton...whatever.

Just get it done

Myself and many other fans of this sh*t franchise are probably within 20 or so years of kicking the bucket without having seen this dickbag of a franchise win anything of significance.

I was knee-high to a grasshopper when Namath took us there. That ‘68/‘69 run means dick to folks like me.

Go for the gold and get it done.

Finally.

Hopefully.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Save it with Darnold 

Once upon a time the kid had a ton of promise and possessed the potential to be a legit Top 5 QB in this league for the better part of two decades.

That’s gone.

Kaput.

Maybe he resurrects his career elsewhere and becomes an Alex Smith-type. Maybe, maybe not. Who really cares, he’s done as a Jet. That’s a given.

As for the right HC? Agreed there.

And I say that you don’t dick around with another coordinator with pie in the sky aspirations.

You go get an actual program builder who can transform a franchise. That’s not Eric Bienemy. That’s not Brian Daboll. That’s not Greg Roman.

Maybe there’s an outside shot that is happens, but I’m tired of banking on that silly sh*t with no more than a hope and a prayer to base it on.

You go make a move. A big time, “we won’t take this sh*t anymore” type of move.

You go land the proven. A guy who has shown in the past that he can do it and you feel very confident in him doing it again.

Whether it be Jim Harbaugh, Mike Shanahan, trading that Seattle 1st rounder for the rights to Sean Payton...whatever.

Just get it done

Myself and many other fans of this sh*t franchise are probably within 20 or so years of kicking the bucket without having seen this dickbag of a franchise win anything of significance.

I was knee-high to a grasshopper when Namath took us there. That ‘68/‘69 run means dick to folks like me.

Go for the gold and get it done.

Finally.

Hopefully.

Another reason why this is so important is because the Jets appear to be heading to a 0-1 win season. Who would want to sign up for that? Trevor Lawrence? Free agents? This franchise has a serious credibility issue now, maybe worse than ever. Having the right head coach here will make it easier for potential players to buy into the program and want to join the team. A former coordinator as a first time head coach is not gong to carry the cache needed to convince players to want to come to the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Admittedly, I have not seen Lance at all. That being said, I think he's too risky for us in the top 6 given his lack of experience...at the FCS level.

The FCS part doesn't bother me much.  The part about him only having 19 career college starts....THAT is very relevant in the evaluation process.

Lance and Zach wilson make this a bad year to pick 1.01. 

Not that trevor or fields would be bad players, but they aren't exactly elite talents. 

If you can find a similarly talented QB lower down the draft, you could do more with that first overall pick.

Imagine getting Sewell, the best o-line prospect in a long time, and trading the seahawks' pick to take Lance or wilson. 

A talented QB playing behind a rock solid offensive line built around Becton and Sewell is far more logical than breaking-in a conservative 1.01 pick behind a a makeshift OL.