I was wrong about Josh Allen, and it sucks.

Jetsfan80

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Still don't think I would want him as my guy.  But I admit he is much better than I thought he was going to be and, astonishingly, has been much better than Darnold so far.

2nd best QB in the class when I had him 5th, below Josh Rosen, entering the 2020 season.  

• Upvote 2

If Josh Allen was drafted by us, he would be on a practice squad somewhere and out of the league in a year. 

Football the ultimate team sport. Unless you’re John Elway or Peyton Manning (who still took 5-6 years to go from stat king to truly elite), you need a good team and coaching to develop.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Cosign. I've never been more wrong about anything than I was about Josh Allen. Time to go sobbingly masturbate until the pain goes away

If it makes you feel any better, the great Mike Tannenbaum did a radio interview about a month ago where he said, at length, that Josh Allen was never, ever, going to be any good because of the accuracy and brain. Just totally trashed him. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If it makes you feel any better, the great Mike Tannenbaum did a radio interview about a month ago where he said, at length, that Josh Allen was never, ever, going to be any good because of the accuracy and brain. Just totally trashed him. 

So you're saying our thoughts were aligned with famed accountant Mike Tannenbaum?

That actually makes me feel worse

Thanks Tom.  The Tannenbaum reference is a good one.  That GM overachieved big-time (when Mangini was around).

• Haha 1

i wasnt convinved pre-draft... great athlete but as above the % was worrisome...     smallschool... never felt strongly...

and i didnt know why so many here were dogging him so hard....  but now i know why. 

has added finesse into his throws. npteverythingneedsabe a fastball. 

good times for bills fans. i willbe rooting for them in the afc. (went to school SUNYAB 85-89 and lived in Buffalo 1989-2000)

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Wow...for a minute there I thought you printed Mr. T's own forward to his autobiography.😁

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

"brain"?  Josh allen is a very intelligent guy, probably the MOST intelligent from that draft class.  The QB from that class who seems to have the slowest in brain working out there is Sam Darnold (Ok maybe Rosen too).  The rest, including Allen, seem 100 times smarter on the field than our rock-headed California dummy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Losmeister said:

and i didnt know why so many here were dogging him so hard....  but now i know why. 

Mostly I just felt the Bills were getting Sanchez'd, and didn't think that fanbase deserved that kind of pain.  So hating on Allen for being what I thought to be the "weakest link" on an otherwise damn near perfect roster was a natural response.  If you don't have a QB, you don't have a contender, period.  

But now he's playing like a damn MVP candidate 4 games in.  He won't maintain THAT level of play, and this will be either Aaron Rodgers' or Russell Wilson's MVP trophy to win.  But to even finish as a top 15 type of QB (much less top 10 or 5) was something I thought would be impossible for him.  It's nuts.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Potential surrounded by good coaching staff and roster usually equals success. 

Josh Allen drafted here would’ve been just as frustrating as it is with Darnold. 

Agree... If Josh Allen had been drafted by the Jets... HELL, if Mahomes had been drafted by the Jets, we'd all be talking about moving on from them now.

What SUCKS is the Jets management from Woody & CJ on down... 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Stop.  He had a very good team around him his first 2 years and sucked.

The kind of turnaround he's having in his 3rd year, especially when also factoring in his college profile, is historic and unprecedented.

He spent 4 moths quarantining with QB guru Jordan Palmer so that would explain the significant turn around. Palmer is the catalyst as this is the first offseason Allen has spent so much time with him. 

Ohhthepain

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The scouting community—especially those who do the media-aligned “scouting”—have basically missed on every QB in the past five years. They elevated guys like Darnold, Haskins, Rosen, and Trubisky, while downgrading Lamar, Mahomes, Watson, Allen, etc. There’s a real bias toward “every good QB plays exactly like Tom Brady and anyone who doesn’t can’t actually win in this league.” The model hasn’t exactly changed—you still have to do the majority of your damage from the pocket—but these fake scouts are at the point where they denigrate prospects who have the ability to move a little bit, presuming it’s because they’re too stupid to make a third read from the pocket. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mostly I just felt the Bills were getting Sanchez'd, and didn't think that fanbase deserved that kind of pain.  So hating on Allen for being what I thought to be the "weakest link" on an otherwise damn near perfect roster was a natural response.  If you don't have a QB, you don't have a contender, period.  

But now he's playing like a damn MVP candidate 4 games in.  He won't maintain THAT level of play, and this will be either Aaron Rodgers' or Russell Wilson's MVP trophy to win.  But to even finish as a top 15 type of QB (much less top 10 or 5) was something I thought would be impossible for him.  It's nuts.

as i said, i never feltstronglyabout himone way or another...    he obviously ran well and was brave,did someboneheadedthings...

ursanchez comp is decent....likea bigger faster stronger braverversion ... i didnt get the sancez pick but rooted forhim... i thought in his 3rd year he had taken a step...  butno...  soi was more just beningly nonjudgementallycurious about allen...  wouldnt have bet hed inprove so much either...   but wasnt convinced he was ONLY whatsanchez ended up being....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The scouting community—especially those who do the media-aligned “scouting”—have basically missed on every QB in the past five years. They elevated guys like Darnold, Haskins, Rosen, and Trubisky, while downgrading Lamar, Mahomes, Watson, Allen, etc. There’s a real bias toward “every good QB plays exactly like Tom Brady and anyone who doesn’t can’t actually win in this league.” The model hasn’t exactly changed—you still have to do the majority of your damage from the pocket—but these fake scouts are at the point where they denigrate prospects who have the ability to move a little bit, presuming it’s because they’re too stupid to make a third read from the pocket. 

And you're still passing and feeling pretty good about it if his clone shows up in next year's draft class. Longshots come in sometimes. This thread is embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

And you're still passing and feeling pretty good about it if his clone shows up in next year's draft class. Longshots come in sometimes. This thread is embarrassing.

Trey Lance is now a test case for this year, and they’ll be doing sight unseen.

• Upvote 1