Darnold out Sunday per Mehta

GreekJet

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And each one had dubious elements. As a rookie, it was a month-long stay on the DL with a sprained ankle where he was literally standing on the sideline for three of the weeks, then it was the mono, and now it’s a shoulder injury that he basically begged for by holding the ball for five minutes and with which he could probably play but the org is like, “nah we good.” 

#boogieboarder 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Flacco is horrible but it's amusing that he's getting Bell, Mims, and Perriman back this week. If our D wasn't terrible I'd be a little worried about winning this game but I imagine Kyler Murray will run for close to 100 yards against our undisciplined defense.

Probably closer to 150 when you add in the yardage from the late hits.

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Darnold evaluation summary;

Gotten worse since rookie season.

Bad footwork.

Inaccurate.

No balls.

Doesn't raise play of others around him.

Can't stay healthy.

Bottom line?  Draft a 1st round QB in April. 

While circumstance has greatly contributed to most if not all of your points, there is no argument with any of them.  However, do I think Darnold still needs to get a chance with a competent HC and roster before we officially throw him in the trash.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Darnold evaluation summary;

Gotten worse since rookie season.

Bad footwork.

Inaccurate.

No balls.

Doesn't raise play of others around him.

Can't stay healthy.

Bottom line?  Draft a 1st round QB in April. 

The kid sprained his throwing shoulder, went into the locker room, got shot up and played the rest of the game.  

No balls?  

If you say so ...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I believe that he will, but it really doesn't look like it's going to be here

Someone here or in the media said what Darnold really should do:  Go back out west and become the backup for either Jimmy Garoppolo or Jared Goff.   Maybe he works himself into a starting role.   But right now?   He'll never become a success with the Jets.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

The Jets have a QB with balls...his name is Morgan. I really liked him in the draft and believe if he gets a chance he'll be very good.

The problem is that it sounds like he is at the very bottom of the depth chart and isn't playing this year at all

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

You don't want to see how our skill players looks with a vet quarterback who doesn't miss the open man while making his reads? It's a good way to evaluate the skill players and even Adam Gase's play calling. Only reason Darnold gets the starts playing like he has is due to the investment the Jets made in him. Darnold needs to sit, breathe, and see how it's done by a grizzled vet like Flacco.

We have skill players?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Is Great said:

Flacco is horrible but it's amusing that he's getting Bell, Mims, and Perriman back this week. If our D wasn't terrible I'd be a little worried about winning this game but I imagine Kyler Murray will run for close to 100 yards against our undisciplined defense.

I'm so excited about starting Murray in one of my leagues. The guy's gonna single-handedly win the week for me. 

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

In one way, I would prefer tosee Morgan as well....however, the fact that he is a rookie and neverplayed even a pre-season game...gives me pause...

The potential to provide a contrast to Darnold via Flacco is actually a proper move,imho. Darnold never won a starting role in theNFL. He was gifted it and annointed savior.    

Morgan is on the team, he should be ready to play if called upon.  If he's not, rookie or not, he shouldn't be on the team IMO.

With that said, I don't generally disagree.  Seeing Flacco will be of some use in evaluating Darnold.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Morgan is on the team, he should be ready to play if called upon.  If he's not, rookie or not, he shouldn't be on the team IMO.

With that said, I don't generally disagree.  Seeing Flacco will be of some use in evaluating Darnold.

and if the O looks ok, its also shows that Gase is taking extra  heat cos his QB is flailing.

gase having to take heat is fine by me...  

oh, HC suckage...??   Gase aint close toPatrcia

Detroit went 36-28 under Caldwell.

The Lions are in a worse situation now than they were when Patricia took over. Patricia has won just 10 of his 36 games as head coach. His record is 10-25-1. 

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Arizona doesn’t have a great defense so not sure how much one game tells us. I think Sam is likely out for 2-3 weeks if the Jets are bring smart. Lock has the same injury. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

While circumstance has greatly contributed to most if not all of your points, there is no argument with any of them.  However, do I think Darnold still needs to get a chance with a competent HC and roster before we officially throw him in the trash.

In the likely event we end up with a top 2/3 pick, there's no good for reason for Darnold to still be on the roster in 2021.

Throwing him to the trash is the only real option.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In the likely event we end up with a top 2/3 pick, there's no good for reason for Darnold to still be on the roster in 2021.

Throwing him to the trash is the only real option.

I wouldn't trash him just yet. Unless some NFC team is willing to give us a good deal in a trade, I say keep him as the back-up for Lawrence (hopefully) then opt to not pick up his 5th year option.

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Maybe Flacco comes in and plays well. Then you dont need to pick a QB at all.

lol.  This would be a nightmare scenario.  Let's hope Douglas isn't fooled by some strong play from a 35-year old QB.

Strong play from Flacco would just hammer home the truth that Darnold is a bust and it's absolutely time to draft a new QB.  Even if Flacco plays well, we're still going to lose a whole bunch of games and pick in the top 3.  Our defense sucks.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I wouldn't trash him just yet. Unless some NFC team is willing to give us a good deal in a trade, I say keep him as the back-up for Lawrence (hopefully) then opt to not pick up his 5th year option.

Well then you risk losing him in free agency for nothing.  Not ideal.

We drafted James Morgan in the 4th round to be a QB2 (and hopefully some upside for more).  Let him back up the new guy.

14 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Sam is beginning to enter "made of glass" territory.  Problems in each of his three years here.   

giphy.gif

tbf, his bout with Mono was a freak occurrence. Not a nagging/ re-occurring injury. And his first benching may have been more of a mercy benching than being truly physically unfit to play.

Doesn't matter much anymore, though, as I fully believe we should be able to land a top-2 pick in the draft, and go QB, which will be the end of Darnold, regardless.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well then you risk losing him in free agency for nothing.  Not ideal.

Sure, If we get a trade offer, then we take it (rather it not be to an AFC team, though) but your wording "throwing him to the trash" made it seem like you just wanted to out-right cut him.

lol.  This would be a nightmare scenario.  Let's hope Douglas isn't fooled by some strong play from a 35-year old QB.

Strong play from Flacco would just hammer home the truth that Darnold is a bust and it's absolutely time to draft a new QB.  Even if Flacco plays well, we're still going to lose a whole bunch of games and pick in the top 3.  Our defense sucks.

Maybe or maybe not. Notice the difference between Cam and the other QBs that played for the Pats last night? It actually looked somewhat like a Jets game.

This notion that there is a small group of QBs you can win with is something made up by Jets fans. Its not true.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app