RIP to a legend EVH

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

Some people don't realize he played the solo on this, RIP to a guitar god

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

Some people don't realize he played the solo on this, RIP to a guitar god

The band's manager Noel Monk,  tells a sad tale how Michael Jackson cheated EVH out of royalties for helping write "Beat It". Jackson was notorious for screwing over people for things like that. Prince was so wary he wouldn't even consider working with him, Paul McCartney got pissed when he mentioned in passing he was going to bid on the Beatles' catalogue and Jackson snuck in and outbid him. After the "Beat It" session, Monk asked EVH what percentage of royalties he was getting for songwriting credits. EVH explained  he got none, but got a really cool big screen TV from Michael instead.  Monk was furious. 

Saw them in the early 1980s, twice with Hagar and the last tour with DLR. Every time his playing was front and center,and terrific. 

RIP.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the freshest new sounds in rock in 1978. When we as young musicians thought it was all covered... Eddie came along and pushed the envelope.    

Just saw this a second ago.   RIP Eddie.  You changed how the guitar was played and expanded its sonic range/capability like only a few others have done.   You died too young and my condolences to you

RIP - this is one my favorite songs of all time. That EVH riff, unreal    

Posted Images

3 hours ago, peebag said:

This got me through basic training.

Saw them on the 1981 tour.  Loudest concert I've ever attended.

Thought "Fair Warning"  was far and away their best and most metal album, but wasn't a big seller.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Saw VH a few times, once when they opened for Sabbath on their first tour.   Won over the audience in about two seconds and blew Sabbath off the stage at will. 

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I saw them OPEN for Black Sabbath at MSG in 1978 after the 1st album.  Saw them again at the garden a year later. 

I'm incredibly jealous, and sometimes think I was born in the wrong decade.

• Upvote 3

I'm old enough to remember inking the VH logo on my canvas binder that I used for middle school. I also remember some folks that used to paint it on their Levis denim jackets.

RIP to a true legend.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Was just talking about this.  I was there, too.  Tell me how insane it was to hear "Eruption" live for the first time.  I had no idea what was happening.  If he was playing a new instrument.

Want to feel old?  The drummer in my HS band who went to the show with me is a certifiable music NUT!!!  Saves ticket stubs. He posted this on FB.  He went on to a rock career that included bars, club circuit etc. He is on 2 albums but the band never truly made it but backed up a few top bands. He then went on and is still a drum tech for bands.  Has worked with a few big names.  

120973431_3660297567335335_966910449095477207_n.jpg

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Blown Out Car Speakers of My Youth.  Good follow up.

I'll add "Destroyed Dashboard From Drumming On It Thread".   lol   First the family car (my dad went nuts) then mine.  Especially friends sitting in the passenger side, we all slammed the dash to the beat of the rock that was blasting in the car.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Want to feel old?  The drummer in my HS band who went to the show with me is a certifiable music NUT!!!  Saves ticket stubs. He posted this on FB.  He went on to a rock career that included bars, club circuit etc. He is on 2 albums but the band never truly made it but backed up a few top bands. He then went on and is still a drum tech for bands.  Has worked with a few big names.  

120973431_3660297567335335_966910449095477207_n.jpg

Wow!   I can't believe he kept the stub.   That's an incredible piece of memorabilia.   Thanks for sharing this.   And yeah, didi make me feel old.  lol

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Full geeking out on VH for the past day, my gawd what a talent.   It's nuts watching some of his solos and thinking anyone was considered better....

Said it earlier, but he truly changed how the guitar was approached and played.   Like how guitarists like Townshend, Beck and Clapton saw when Jimi hit the scene.  

There were a couple other older guys who used a similar double tapping technique.   But not the way Eddie did it.   Listen to anyone from Satriani to Vai to Dimebag and you will hear Eddie's influence in their playing.

• Upvote 2
18 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Said it earlier, but he truly changed how the guitar was approached and played.   Like how guitarists like Townshend, Beck and Clapton saw when Jimi hit the scene.  

There were a couple other older guys who used a similar double tapping technique.   But not the way Eddie did it.   Listen to anyone from Satriani to Vai to Dimebag and you will hear Eddie's influence in their playing.

I've picked back up the guitar recently, a total novice, more a camp fire strummer, tried to look at some Van Halen riffs I could learn, lol, I got a while before I can get that stuff going. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've picked back up the guitar recently, a total novice, more a camp fire strummer, tried to look at some Van Halen riffs I could learn, lol, I got a while before I can get that stuff going. 

Yeah, you might have a few more days to get the EVH riffs down. lol   Great that you're keeping up with your playing.  Don't worry about trying to copy a guitar god like Eddie.   Just have fun learning/strumming new chords and playing the rhythm parts of songs you like.  

• Upvote 2

Never was a fan of the band but I was of him, his sound and his technique.

You could tell that he loved playing, I like that

Dude sold more pedals than even Jimi with people trying to grok the brown sound. Still doing that to this day.

Tapping was insane, I never could get the hang of it. Changed eveything in modern playing. According to Hackett, he learned to do it after seeing an early Genesis concert when he was a kid

So RIP EVH. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland is bogus, but the Hall of Fame in our hearts and minds has you in a special room that holds very few.

• Upvote 2

Sammy Hagar says that he had been secretly in contact with Eddie Van Halen in the months leading up to the legendary guitarist's death.

Hagar, who previously said he hadn't spoken to Eddie since since the conclusion of VAN HALEN's 2004 reunion tour, revealed his renewed friendship with his former bandmate in a note which was read over the air this morning (Wednesday, October 6) by radio personality Howard Stern on his SiriusXM show.

Hagar wrote: "Eddie and I had been texting, and it's been a love fest since we started communicating earlier this year. We both agreed not to tell anyone, because of all the rumors it would stir up about a reunion, et cetera, and we both knew that wasn't gonna happen. But he also didn't want anyone to know about his health."

Sammy continued: "He stopped responding to me a month ago, and I figured it wasn't good. I reached out one more time last week, and when he didn't respond, I figured it was a matter of time. But it came way too soon."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-hagar-had-secretly-been-in-contact-with-eddie-van-halen-for-last-few-months-its-been-a-love-fest/

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

So awesome to see how reverential Eddie was toward Les Paul.   Eddie starts the histrionics at approx. 1:25.

So that bass player, Tony Levin maybe?  HE has the sound that I believe was missing from VH.  Never liked Michael Anthony’s tone... not enough bottom for me.   but this jam, the bass player holds his own to Eddie while giving him space.  Great find. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So that bass player, Tony Levin maybe?  HE has the sound that I believe was missing from VH.  Never liked Michael Anthony’s tone... not enough bottom for me.   but this jam, the bass player holds his own to Eddie while giving him space.  Great find. 

Thanks.   That is indeed Tony Levin, one of the best bass players I ever heard.  Has played with many greats including Peter Gabriel.  

Can't see the drummer.  But I think that's Jan Hammer on keys.

3 hours ago, Warmbrother said:

Only 2 guitarist changed things.......first jimmi then eddie. 

Nobody else in that league

I would add Chuck Berry whose double stops and unique rhythms are still the backbone of rock music being produced today.  Check section beginning at about 1:15.

• Upvote 1
On 10/7/2020 at 7:23 AM, BUM-KNEE said:

I saw that concert as well.

VH, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come

I was there as well. Had seats on the floor about 3/4 of the way back from the stage.

I'll never forget what happened as VH hit the stage. It involved 4 young ladies in the mezz section at the opposite end of the stadium (from the stage) who had a lot of people's attention (males especially) because they were about to flash the crowd. A lot of people were looking the other way from the stage (myself included) when VH came on.

• Upvote 1