RIP to a legend EVH

19 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks.   That is indeed Tony Levin, one of the best bass players I ever heard.  Has played with many greats including Peter Gabriel.  

Can't see the drummer.  But I think that's Jan Hammer on keys.

Wow, that is Hammer

Mahavishnu, Crimson, Beck, Keaggy, LTE, etc etc all backing EVH up

Impressive

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I was there as well. Had seats on the floor about 3/4 of the way back from the stage.

I'll never forget what happened as VH hit the stage. It involved 4 young ladies in the mezz section at the opposite end of the stadium (from the stage) who had a lot of people's attention (males especially) because they were about to flash the crowd. A lot of people were looking the other way from the stage (myself included) when VH came on.

Haha

I saw them at Oxford Plains Speedway in the pouring rain. It was so hot it was awesome. Scorpions left after 3 songs when the rain fried a couple of their amps/monitors.

Alex's drum kit was pushed onstage by 6 guys. 4 bass drums that kit was cool as hell. They finished their set by playing Rock n Roll by Zepp.

Eddie sounds like a mensch. 

Alice in Chains opened for Van Halen on the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour in 1991 and 1992 after Sammy Hagar saw the video for “Man in the Box” on TV and personally requested the band. The 99-show run was a grind for Alice in Chains at that early juncture in their career, often meeting hostile audiences who just wanted to get on with the main event.

The Van Halen camp treated Alice in Chains well and, by all accounts, were stand-up gentlemen. When Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell returned home from months on the road — he was living in the basement of his manager Kelly Curtis’s house at the time — he was surprised and elated to find a special gift from EVH. Cantrell had asked Eddie for a discount on one of his signature Ernie Ball models, but he ended up getting a whole lot more for the ultimate bargain: free.

“It was a nice sunny day. He’s like, ‘Hey, man, welcome home. Did you have a good tour? Now you can relax. By the way, do you think you can clear your sh*t out of my garage? I need to put my car in there,’” Cantrell recounts Curtis told him in a recent documentary on Cantrell by Gibson Guitars.

Cantrell didn’t recall storing anything in Curtis’s garage, so the manager went on: “‘Eddie Van Halen filled the garage with gear for you. I haven’t been able to park my car in my garage for months,’” Cantrell recalls. “He hits the clicker and [the door] goes up and it’s like a scene from a movie. The whole thing is filled with cardboard boxes.”

Watch the clip below, and the full documentary from which it came here.

Cantrell’s tribute to Eddie is just one of many that have surfaced from around the metal and rock community since the iconic guitar player died yesterday. You can catch up with those here.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/10/07/eddie-van-halen-gifted-alice-in-chains-jerry-cantrell-an-entire-garage-full-of-gear-after-early-tour/

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

Wasn't he sick for a really long time? RIP.

Eddie was a big smoker for much of his life.  He battled throat cancer for at least 10 years.  Also had part of his tongue removed for cancer as well. 

DON'T SMOKE FOLKS.

EDIT: Just found this item.

He was first treated for tongue cancer in 2000 with surgeons forced to remove a third of his tongue.

The op was a success with Eddie declared cancer-free in 2002 but sadly, the disease returned some years later.

Eddie remained hopeful, telling Billboard that he had even given up smoking - having picked up the habit at the tender age of 12.

However, the guitarist had always been adamant that cigarettes had not been the cause of his ill health and instead believed his habit of carrying a metal guitar plectrum around in his mouth had caused the cancer.

"I used metal picks – they’re brass and copper – which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer," he said.

"Plus, I basically live in a recording studio that’s filled with electromagnetic energy. So that’s one theory. I mean, I was smoking and doing a lot of drugs and a lot of everything. But at the same time, my lungs are totally clear. This is just my own theory, but the doctors say it’s possible.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/eddie-van-halens-brave-cancer-22804267

6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

morbid question time: (kind of)

so valeri tweeted that she and wolfie were able to hold him when he passed. What about his current wife? where was she? Holding him with the EX????! thats odd AF

Interestingly... I found it totally emotional and full of love.  They fell out of love but what brought them together, they never forgot.  I’m divorced almost 15 years...   I found it amazing.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Eddie was a big smoker for much of his life.  He battled throat cancer for at least 10 years.  Also had part of his tongue removed for cancer as well. 

DON'T SMOKE FOLKS.

EDIT: Just found this item.

He was first treated for tongue cancer in 2000 with surgeons forced to remove a third of his tongue.

The op was a success with Eddie declared cancer-free in 2002 but sadly, the disease returned some years later.

Eddie remained hopeful, telling Billboard that he had even given up smoking - having picked up the habit at the tender age of 12.

However, the guitarist had always been adamant that cigarettes had not been the cause of his ill health and instead believed his habit of carrying a metal guitar plectrum around in his mouth had caused the cancer.

"I used metal picks – they’re brass and copper – which I always held in my mouth, in the exact place where I got the tongue cancer," he said.

"Plus, I basically live in a recording studio that’s filled with electromagnetic energy. So that’s one theory. I mean, I was smoking and doing a lot of drugs and a lot of everything. But at the same time, my lungs are totally clear. This is just my own theory, but the doctors say it’s possible.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/eddie-van-halens-brave-cancer-22804267

That's just bizarre. I mean his take on it. So even if smoking wasn't a direct cause in his case who is to say it wasn't a catalyst? People who chew tobacco die of mouth, tongue, throat, esophageal, stomach cancer, etc. and their lungs are clear s-o-o-o . . . ? There just seems to be a level of denialism there. In the end it doesn't matter all that much. Everybody's got to go sometime and genetics are everything but why play Russian Roulette is the way I always look at it.

EDIT & Addendum: True Manic Depression will never be understood, but I bring this up for a specific tangential yet connected reason. I'm going to use Vincent Van Gogh for an example because everybody knows who that is and he obviously suffered a great deal, but what most people leave out or are not privy to was the environmental aspect of his illness. Artists used to often lick the tips of their paint brushes to point them while working. They would also grind their own pigments, which would get absorbed transdermally and also through the lungs. What's in pigment and linseed oil? High levels of lead and other neurotoxins, which he uh, ate technically. Forget about gesso made with rabbit glue, you may as well throw yourself in a vat of Cadmium. 

Heavy metals cause lunacy . . . and cancer . . . but I don't think Eddie Van Halen's guitar pick gave him cancer.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Interestingly... I found it totally emotional and full of love.  They fell out of love but what brought them together, they never forgot.  I’m divorced almost 15 years...   I found it amazing.   

Im not saying it isnt sweet, just wondering how the current wife of 10+ years fits into this scene

• Upvote 1

Valerie Bertinelli Shares Photos of Late Ex-Husband Eddie Van Halen, Including from the Night They Met

The iconic guitarist died this week following a battle with cancer

By Ashley Boucher 
October 08, 2020 11:45 PM

ADVERTISEMENT
FBTweetMore
image.jpg&w=1280&h=720&q=90&c=cc

00:37
01:21

Share: Valerie Bertinelli Shares Tribute to Ex-Husband Eddie Van Halen: 'See You In Our Next Life My Love'
Direct Link

Valerie Bertinelli is looking back on memories with her late ex-husband Eddie Van Halen, who died on Tuesday following a cancer battle.

The actress, 60, shared several throwback photos from her time with the iconic guitarist, including a snapshot from the night they met in 1980.

One photo shows Bertinelli putting her arm over Van Halen's shoulder in Shreveport, Lousiana, and in another, she hugs the rocker on Christmas in 1980.

A black-and-white photo taken at The Forum in Los Angeles in 1981 shows the couple smiling together on a couch, and in a snapshot from the Central Park carousel in 1993, the duo smile with young son Wolfgang, who is now 29.

Valerie Bertinell
Valerie Bertinelli and Eddie Van Halen

VALERIE BERTINELL/INSTAGRAM
Valerie Bertinell
Eddie Van Halen, Valerie Bertinelli

Valerie Bertinell
Valerie Bertinelli, Eddie Van Halen

On Tuesday, Bertinelli shared a heartfelt tribute to Van Halen, saying that her "life changed forever" when they met.

"40 years ago my life changed forever when I met you," the actress wrote on Twitter, also sharing an old family photo. "You gave me the one true light in my life, our son, Wolfgang."

"Through all your challenging treatments for lung cancer, you kept your gorgeous spirit and that impish grin," Bertinelli continued. "I'm so grateful Wolfie and I were able to hold you in your last moments. I will see you in our next life my love."

Bertinelli and Eddie tied the knot in 1981 and were married for more than 20 years before separating in 2001 and getting divorced in 2007. They were on good terms at the time of his death and Eddie had attended her wedding to her current husband Tom Vitale.

Valerie Bertinell
Eddie Van Halen, Valerie Bertinelli

Valerie Bertinell
Valerie Bertinelli, Eddie Van Halen and son Wolfgang

Wolfgang first broke the news on Tuesday that Van Halen had died.

"I can't believe I'm having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning," he wrote on Twitter. "He was the best father I could ask for. Every moment I've shared with him on and off stage was a gift."

"My heart is broken and I don't think I'll ever recover from this loss," he added. "I love you so much, Pop."

A source close to Van Halen told PEOPLE that the guitarist had a rapid decline in health over the days leading to his death and that cancer had "spread to all his organs."

Bertinelli, Wolf, and his current wife Janie Liszewski were all at the hospital with Van Halen at the time of his death.

https://people.com/music/valerie-bertinelli-shares-throwback-photos-of-ex-husband-eddie-van-halen-including-from-the-night-they-met/

Until about two minutes ago, I had no idea Eddie was part Indonesian.  Thought both his parents were Dutch.  But it was his father who met his future Mom in Indonesia.

Music fans around the world are mourning the loss of iconic Van Halen rock star Eddie Van Halen. And while many today honor his legacy as one of the all-time greatest guitarists, fans are also highlighting past interviews describing his encounters with painful racism and discrimination because of his mixed race in his early years.

Van Halen, who died Tuesday of throat cancer at 65, was the son of Dutch and Indonesian immigrants and spent his childhood in the Netherlands. His former bandmate David Lee Roth, a fellow rock superstar, once revealed on the podcast "WTF with Marc Maron" just how painful the experience was for the young Van Halen and his brother, drummer Alex Van Halen.

In the 2019 interview, Roth described how poorly the Van Halens' parents were treated because of their mixed-race relationship in the 1950s.

"It was a big deal. Those homeboys grew up in a horrifying racist environment to where they actually had to leave the country," Roth said in the podcast.

He added that the brothers, who were often referred to as "half-breed" in the Netherlands, still met difficult circumstances after immigrating to the U.S.

"Then they came to America and did not speak English as a first language in the early '60s. Wow," Roth told Maron. "So that kind of sparking, that kind of stuff, that runs deep."

The brothers' mother, Eugenia, met their father, Jan, a traveling musician, in Indonesia when it was under Dutch rule. Shortly after World War II, the couple decided to move to the Netherlands, where the rock stars were born.

Eugenia was treated as a "second-class citizen," Van Halen said in an interview in 2017 with music journalist Denise Quan for Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. The family packed up and left for the U.S. in 1962, making the trek by boat for nine days, before settling in the Pasadena, California, area.

Their early days in the U.S. were difficult, Van Halen told Quan. The family lived in a house shared with two other families. While his mother worked as a maid, his father picked up a job as a janitor and also maintained a music career. The environment at the time wasn't particularly inviting to the young immigrants, and Van Halen described his first day of school as "absolutely frightening."

"We already went through that in Holland, you know, first day, first grade. Now, you're in a whole other country where you can't speak the language, and you know absolutely nothing about anything and it was beyond frightening," he said. "I don't even know how to explain but I think it made us stronger because you had to be."

He told Quan that the school he attended at the time was still segregated and that because he couldn't speak the language, he was considered a "minority" student.

"My first friends in America were Black," Eddie told the journalist. "It was actually the white people that were the bullies. They would tear up my homework and papers, make me eat playground sand, all those things, and the Black kids stuck up for me."

In spite of the racism and discrimination he faced, Van Halen told Quan that looking back on his life, he was grateful for his experience as an immigrant.

"Coming here with approximately $50 and a piano, not being able to speak the language, going through everything to get to where we are, if that's not the American dream, I don't know what is," he said in the interview.

Indonesian social media users have paid tribute to Van Halen, who's seen as a source of pride for many in the community.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/eddie-van-halen-endured-horrifying-racist-environment-becoming-rock-legend-n1242663

• Sympathy 1

On 10/6/2020 at 4:52 PM, munchmemory said:

Was just talking about this.  I was there, too.  Tell me how insane it was to hear "Eruption" live for the first time.  I had no idea what was happening.  If he was playing a new instrument.

My nut drummer friend just posted pics from 1978. He is a NUT. MSG, 1978 Van Halen at MSG!

121205846_3668676676497424_2405605882179425739_o.jpg

• Sympathy 2

On 10/7/2020 at 7:23 AM, BUM-KNEE said:

I saw that concert as well.

VH, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken and Kingdom Come

Don’t remember a lot, but they actually let us bring in a cooler!!!   It was stocked with coke bottles already spiked with rum. 

I think it rained all morning then turned into a great day 

those were the days.....

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2020 at 1:06 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

F**kin f**k.

Glad I was able to see him live, even if it was just once.

Same here.  One of the most significant concerts (or even events) of my life was in 1991 when I saw Van Halen play and the opening act was this unknown band from Seattle named Alice in Chains.  There it was....the transition from hard rock / hair bands to alt/grunge happening on a single stage right before my very eyes.  I went and found the ticket the other day.

RIP Eddie.  He was a legend.  As was Layne.

IMG_3856.thumb.jpg.bdf1ef08114bb19349515f7cf2f02043.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Same here.  One of the most significant concerts (or even events) of my life was in 1991 when I saw Van Halen play and the opening act was this unknown band from Seattle named Alice in Chains.  There it was....the transition from hard rock / hair bands to alt/grunge happening on a single stage right before my very eyes.  I went and found the ticket the other day.

RIP Eddie.  He was a legend.

IMG_3856.thumb.jpg.bdf1ef08114bb19349515f7cf2f02043.jpg

seriously i hate you GIF

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2020 at 9:56 AM, munchmemory said:

What are they doing on Catalina Island?  I can see that island from some of my clients' locations in Long Beach but haven't been out there yet.

Some weird info for anyone interested...  The Island Express is a transport company that flies helicopters from LA/Long Beach out to Catalina Island.  It's also the helicopter company that crashed while flying Kobe Bryant, his daughter and others last January.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

What are they doing on Catalina Island?  I can see that island from some of my clients' locations in Long Beach but haven't been out there yet.

Some weird info for anyone interested...  The Island Express is a transport company that flies helicopters from LA/Long Beach out to Catalina Island.  It's also the helicopter company that crashed while flying Kobe Bryant, his daughter and others last January.

Sammy changed the location of his annual bithday bash from Cabo to Catalina.

hagar20201017_cover.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...