As injuries mount and season slips away how many of us care?

WowOhWow

I didn't get to see the Denver game last week (UK based so middle of the night for me).

I woke up Friday morning and looked at the score. Saw "Jets 28" and I kid you not, my heart dropped as I thought we'd won with that score. Then I saw the "Denver 37" part and I actually felt better.

That's how bad the season has felt so far. Usually it's all over by Hallowe'en for our Jets, we didn't even make it to October this year.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

News of injuries to Darnold and Becton would have twisted me up in years gone by.  Now...I it's almost like a comedy it's so absurd and I hardly care.

What a cluster this franchise is and with every passing day I realize I care less than I used to.

I also realize I don't have the fight to dig in on my views of this team any more.  If the powers that be think Gase is the right guy...good for them.  I think it's patently absurd there is any belief left anywhere for this guy.  But hey.

This team moved everything away from their base in Long Island, trotted out patsy after patsy for a decade...how are there any fans left?

If I could care less I have to imagine I'm not alone.    

Team is a joke and without Darnold, Becton there is literally no reason to watch.  None.  Q is not a draw.  Who cares.  No skill players.  Literally nothing. 

The team is not worth the time I spent writing this post.

Sad.

Well, I unbelievably feel that one thing to learn is that while I know Darnold didn't have the full gamut of skill players all at one, the following can help overall if things break right:

1) If With Crowder and Smith at WR, we add back Perrimen, Mims, and Bell as skill players and they all stay healthy, if Flacco starts this week and any other games we can see if this team can have a functioning Offense with other QBs not named Darnold.

2) Then when Darnold comes back with the same players we see again does the offense function with him.

If the answer to 1 is Yes and 2 is No then it is fairly straight forward for the Jets to say Darnold is not the long term answer and we draft another QB at the top of round 1 next year as there  are 2 QBs and the Jets probably get the 1 or 2 pick overall.

If the Answer to 1 and 2 are both Yes, then it seems more straight forward to stick with Darnold and build around him moving forward as his struggles likely were due to never having ll the skill player he needed to be consistent.

The only thing I left out is the HC that one would think is going to be replaced regardless of the evaluation of the scenarios above since Gase has just not proven enough in the time he has had that he is a long term solution at HC and I know we all want thing quick, but if after the better part of 2 seasons you still have the flaws he has at the HC position and has already had one HC job he failed at in Miami, it is highly unlikely he would change enough in his areas of shortcomings to become a good HC. But that would likely be somebody elses problem if they give him another chane like was rumored with the Texans. 

I don't want to care... but I do. It's an addiction.

For several years now, I have been at the point that I sadly don't even enjoy the NFL any more. I used to be able to watch any 2 teams go at it and get 3 hours of entertainment. Now, I would rather watch paint dry. What this sport has turned into is a disgrace to football.  

I still watch and follow the Jets due to my deep seeded (inexplicable) alliance, but even that sucks. Maybe it's just a place to feel something in contrast to most of the joys that life can bring. 

• Upvote 1

When I was younger, I used to care a lot after losses. But at some point along the way here I just come here for the community and it really doesn’t bum me out anymore when they look this pathetic. 

Once you really realize that the ownership is just grossly incompetent and it doesn’t really matter who the coach and gm are It changes things for you. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well, I unbelievably feel that one thing to learn is that while I know Darnold didn't have the full gamut of skill players all at one, the following can help overall if things break right:

1) If With Crowder and Smith at WR, we add back Perrimen, Mims, and Bell as skill players and they all stay healthy, if Flacco starts this week and any other games we can see if this team can have a functioning Offense with other QBs not named Darnold.

2) Then when Darnold comes back with the same players we see again does the offense function with him.

If the answer to 1 is Yes and 2 is No then it is fairly straight forward for the Jets to say Darnold is not the long term answer and we draft another QB at the top of round 1 next year as there  are 2 QBs and the Jets probably get the 1 or 2 pick overall.

If the Answer to 1 and 2 are both Yes, then it seems more straight forward to stick with Darnold and build around him moving forward as his struggles likely were due to never having ll the skill player he needed to be consistent.

The only thing I left out is the HC that one would think is going to be replaced regardless of the evaluation of the scenarios above since Gase has just not proven enough in the time he has had that he is a long term solution at HC and I know we all want thing quick, but if after the better part of 2 seasons you still have the flaws he has at the HC position and has already had one HC job he failed at in Miami, it is highly unlikely he would change enough in his areas of shortcomings to become a good HC. But that would likely be somebody elses problem if they give him another chane like was rumored with the Texans. 

What if the outcome of both (1) and (2) is that both suck? That wouldn't help at all with evaluation of what we have (or don't have).

I also feel that both sucking is the most likely outcome. Can't see Flacco the statue succeeding with our O line as it currently stands (esp. if Becton is out a while). The only time Sam has looked any good is when he uses his mobility to escape the pocket and throw on the move. Not Flacco's forte by any means.

I used to care and take it personal in my younger days.  As I've gotten older, I care less.  It's entertainment.  I barely watch games on TV, rather be at my kids' sports or out on the boat.  I actually enjoy going to games in person.  You hear all the negative about stadium experience and all that.  There's just nothing like live FB IMO.  None of that this year, so I care even less.  

I will be a half century next year and have been watching this slop since 1st grade. I care a little less each year..

Good news is- it doesn’t ruin my day anymore like it did say 20 years ago.. 

Bad news- if they ever would to finally get their sh*t together and actually win a Championship- ( I know right!!!) ? now I’m being silly- it wouldn’t mean nearly as much as it would’ve to me way back when I actually gave a crap. But still a junkie for life and will never totally give up. Do feel awful in infected my now 15 year old son with this disease though. Sorry dude!!’

• Upvote 2

The past decade has been rough but the past five seasons have been brutal.  Since the 2015 season it’s just been awful.  I used to NEVER leave a home game early.  2016-2019 I left most games early and several in the third quarter and once even at halftime they were so bad.  I never turned a road game off early but I shut the Colts game off early.  

This organization is a disaster.  Not attending games has contributed to me losing some interest but if there was ever a season for me to stay home this is it.  The team has no emotion.  They’re terrible and also boring.  Each week I see guys playing who I never even heard of.  

• Upvote 2

For the very first time, I am rooting for the Jets to lose.  Every game.  The situation is so hopeless.  The games are unwatchable and the news just keeps getting worse every day--as hard as that is.  By the time Adam Gase is finished this season, the Jets will look like Nagasaki after the bomb dropped.

• Upvote 3

On 10/7/2020 at 1:13 PM, jamesr said:

What if the outcome of both (1) and (2) is that both suck? That wouldn't help at all with evaluation of what we have (or don't have).

I also feel that both sucking is the most likely outcome. Can't see Flacco the statue succeeding with our O line as it currently stands (esp. if Becton is out a while). The only time Sam has looked any good is when he uses his mobility to escape the pocket and throw on the move. Not Flacco's forte by any means.

maybe escaping the pocket isn't flacco's forte but he has a ton of experience and will be very decisive in throwing the ball.  he also has a really good arm and can get the ball over the top.  we'll see what happens.  if the oline keeps him clean then the jets will really have a chance.

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe escaping the pocket isn't flacco's forte but he has a ton of experience and will be very decisive in throwing the ball.  he also has a really good arm and can get the ball over the top.  we'll see what happens.  if the oline keeps him clean then the jets will really have a chance.

O line is definitely a worry, more so for Flacco. And getting the ball out quick means having targets get open quick ... we saw when they tried this vs. SF, it led to guys being tackled at / behind the line of scrimmage, when we needed 8+ yards. I expect Sunday will be more of the same.