Dwayne Haskins benched

GreekJet

I mean, I know I laughed when the Giants picked Daniel Jones over Haskins but I didn't expect Haskins to turn out this poorly.

Unfortunately there's still hope for Jones in some capacity (I say unfortunately because I detest the Giants). Testaverde was an interception machine and he turned out pretty okay in the end.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

It feels too soon to call darnold a bust. If we replace him and ship him somewhere my gut says he is going to land in that stud category.

How often has a top 10 QB that failed with one team gone to another and succeeded? Once they're ruined, they're done. 

3 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Another young QB bust?

QBs drafted high since 2015

Busts

Darnold

Rosen

Winston

Mariota 

Haskins 

Trubisky

Jury Still Out/OK

Mayfield

Jones 

Lock

Tua

Wentz

Goff

Stud

Mahomes

Watson

Allen

Jackson

Murray

Burrow

Herbert

Daniel Jones is crap. OK, with the rest of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetophile said:

I mean, I know I laughed when the Giants picked Daniel Jones over Haskins but I didn't expect Haskins to turn out this poorly.

Unfortunately there's still hope for Jones in some capacity (I say unfortunately because I detest the Giants). Testaverde was an interception machine and he turned out pretty okay in the end.

Testaverde is the ultimate "needs moar weaponiz" QB. He's basically a deity to the Darnold Bros.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index3a5c.html?p=5449 

(actually an interesting article)

Is Winston a bust?  I guess so because he was a 1st overall pick and now he's a back up but if I'm not mistaken, he's the first QB in the NFL history to throw for 4k and 20+ TD's in his first 2 seasons.  He threw for 5k and 33 TD's last season.

Idk - that doesnt seem bustish.  In fact, I wouldnt be upset if the Jets grabbed Winston in the offseason. Who knows, maybe he's learned something behind Brees and maybe bring Pete Carmichael with him.  I know one thing for sure, they'll score points. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

How often has a top 10 QB that failed with one team gone to another and succeeded? Once they're ruined, they're done. 

Not very often only one I can think of that was a top 10 pick and than won a ring was Jim Plunkett. 

Most of these guys get the David Carr effect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes but if they’re top ten they’re retained by their teams until they can’t play. There have been quite a few that started with one team got traded around and then finally became successful. Rich Gannon and Jim Plunkett for 2. Drew Brees was traded by the chargers to be replaced by Rivers. Craig Morton took the Broncos to the Super Bowl after being replaced by Staubach on the cowgirls. Right now we are seeing Nick Foles having some success while moving between teams.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Jim Plunkett

Vinny Testaverde

Alex Smith

Steve Young (not a top 10 pick, but similar) 

Ryan Tannehill

This new structure where the 5th year option needs to be guaranteed will probably open up the opportunity for a lot more. It seems guys are only getting 2-3 years max these days. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Burrow and Herbert get to skip Jury Still Out and jump right to Stud?

If I have learned anything, it is that you do not crown any player until they played two seasons at least. It is crazy how fast things change with these guys. 

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

You can't ruin a great QB, only delay him.

1. I'd agree with this statement

2. Great QBs don't fail with thier first team

3. I didn't say great, just top 10 (draft pick)

In short, what I know you're getting at and I agree...Darnold is not a great QB. He may have been good with some help, but that ship has sailed. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

1. I'd agree with this statement

2. Great QBs don't fail with thier first team

3. I didn't say great, just top 10 (draft pick)

In short, what I know you're getting at and I agree...Darnold is not a great QB. He may have been good with some help, but that ship has sailed. 

"Serviceable" is the word that springs to mind if you want to be optimistic.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Jim Plunkett

Vinny Testaverde

Alex Smith

Ryan Tannehill

This new structure where the 5th year option needs to be guaranteed will probably open up the opportunity for a lot more. It seems guys are only getting 2-3 years max these days. 

Tannehill had a problem staying healthy but when healthy he was always an above average starter.

If Darnold had Tannehill's 2015 and 2016 in Miami you'd have people here calling him the second coming.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Jim Plunkett

Vinny Testaverde

Alex Smith

Ryan Tannehill

This doesn't show what you think it does. That's like less than a 1% success rate. You had to go back to 1971 and 1984. 

• Upvote 1