Jets HC Search Already in Trouble (Matt Miller)

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

As per Matt Miller:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912333-jets-falcons-cant-be-patient-in-2020-nfl-hiring-cycle-after-bill-obrien-fired

The Jets, though, who knows with them because they've literally mangled every decision since Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan were given extensions [December 2017]."

Another factor that plays into this: some coaches will not want to coach for certain owners or in certain situations. Said the agent: "There are places I don't want my guys to go. Like, I'm not sending anyone to the Jets this offseason. There's no way I want my guy getting his first [head coaching] job with that organization. You only get so many chances at these things, so you need a good fit."

This doesn't bode well for the Jets, who have an unstable ownership situation and a general manager in Joe Douglas who isn't receiving rave reviews around the league for his decisions since taking the job in June 2019.

assuming they draft a qb you're probably looking at a college coach who can bring an offense to the nfl.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

As per Matt Miller:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2912333-jets-falcons-cant-be-patient-in-2020-nfl-hiring-cycle-after-bill-obrien-fired

The Jets, though, who knows with them because they've literally mangled every decision since Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan were given extensions [December 2017]."

Another factor that plays into this: some coaches will not want to coach for certain owners or in certain situations. Said the agent: "There are places I don't want my guys to go. Like, I'm not sending anyone to the Jets this offseason. There's no way I want my guy getting his first [head coaching] job with that organization. You only get so many chances at these things, so you need a good fit."

This doesn't bode well for the Jets, who have an unstable ownership situation and a general manager in Joe Douglas who isn't receiving rave reviews around the league for his decisions since taking the job in June 2019.

And people think Lawrence is coming out early to play for us

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

There's only a handful of these jobs available every year. How many guys looking to land their first gig are actually going to put their nose up to he Jets?

I doubt many guys think this way.

The Johnsons are a disaster.  They meddle in football decisions.  Not my opinion it’s the opinion of people through the nfl

The Jets are becoming a dumpster fire disaster similar to the Raiders during Al Davis’s last 10 years

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Three things:

1. This is why they need to fire Gase now, because every day he’s here, it reinforces the disfunctionality of the org.

2. The Jets shouldn’t hire a rookie HC anyway.

3. I’m sure Douglas didn’t make a lot of friends in the agent community by refusing to bid on the high-end FA’s in a depressed free agent market. Maccagnan, by contrast, was a useful tool in driving up prices for every FA who hit the market

agree about firing gase now.  it sends a message if nothing else.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Lots of draft capital.  No where to go but up.  Potential #1 pick.  Potential stud LT. A fanbase that if you win here you will be a hero for all eternity.

If a coach doesn't want this job then we don't want him.  No punks allowed.  It's going to take the right personality to win here.  Coming in scared isn't it.

Chrissy and Woody could f ck up a cup of coffee 

They are the main reason the jets have drafted HORRIBLY for 10 years

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's only a handful of these jobs available every year. How many guys looking to land their first gig are actually going to put their nose up to he Jets?

I doubt many guys think this way.

And with the (potential) #1 pick plus a lot of cap, there is a lot of opportunity here. Though I won’t blame anyone that doesn’t want to come. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

This is why we need the #1 overall. Even though Sam isn't done in this league, legit coaches aren't tying themselves to him. If we have the #1 overall and JD informs candidate's that hes going Sunshine, then the job becomes real attractive. 

there is a difference here between getting lawrence and not.  

Look, there's no doubt whatsoever that the Jets are on the lower end of desirable jobs. In a vacuum any team that is perennially bad and clearly has poor ownership is a "bad" job.

That said:

1) There's a good chance we're going to have the first overall pick and Trevor Lawrence. That makes us substantially more attractive. This is in direct contrast with tying the gig to "saving Darnold" which is one of the strongest reasons he's gone.

2) We have a ton of cap space and draft picks in the next few years. Presumably the coach will have serious input on shaping and molding the roster as he'd like. The roster stinks but he's not tied to it at all.

The interesting tidbit there is on Joe Douglas. Clearly the first offseason didn't go the way he envisioned but I'm curious if his reputation has gone from sterling to terrible in one offseason or if @T0mShane's point about agents loving the freewheeling GM over the stingy GM colors the tidbits that are being fed to guys like Matt Miller.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Lots of draft capital.  No where to go but up.  Potential #1 pick.  Potential stud LT. A fanbase that if you win here you will be a hero for all eternity.

If a coach doesn't want this job then we don't want him.  No punks allowed.  It's going to take the right personality to win here.  Coming in scared isn't it.

Such great points! You can't critique JDs draft yet, thats ridiculous. Plus, the most important part in all of this is that the Johnsons WANT Joe Douglas to pick the next Head Coach. Chris Johnson looks like a total moron right now regarding the Gase hire. It was a bad hire & the fact you hired the a loser coach fired from you same division speaks volumes. 

No one wants a pussy coach here & the fact the Jets have a lot of picks, a tradable QB, a bunch of money in a year where a lot of teams will finally be way over the cap, it's a lot better position than it appears right now.

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Johnsons are a disaster.  They meddle in football decisions.  Not my opinion it’s the opinion of people through the nfl

The Jets are becoming a dumpster fire disaster similar to the Raiders during Al Davis’s last 10 years

No one is going to deny the johnson's are awful. That doesn't dispute what I said though.

If you're a football coach your dream job is probably NFL head coach. Your already limited opportunities may not exist next year if your current team falls apart for whatever reason. 

This is so mind numbingly stupid of the agent. There are surely going to more candidates for HC positions than actual positions available. Are you telling me you would tell your client to wait another year without knowing if you will get the team you want then as well? Maybe we don't get most coveted prospect but only one team will and most likely, that is going to be a guy with no experience. The only guy I would really go all out for is Harbaugh anyway. Everyone else is a crap shoot. 

• Upvote 2

These are the types of things you see when you are 0-4 and largely noncompetitive. 

One problem with the "who cares, lose every week by 30 points, we are tanking anyway" mindset is that it perpetuates the perception of NYJ ineptitude and hopelessness around the league. 

The organization is such a laughingstock right now. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you're a football coach your dream job is probably NFL head coach. Your already limited opportunities may not exist next year if your current team falls apart for whatever reason. 

This is true but it does steer the top tier candidates away from us.

Like, the guys who have options won't pick the Jets. It's why we'll never get someone like Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley -- they can pick their NFL gig, and if you can pick your NFL gig why would you pick the Jets?

• Upvote 2

"You only get so many chances at these things" 

This reasoning goes both ways and if he were my agent, I would fire him. If one of the rarest jobs in the world opened up, and he is telling me to not interview because he thinks things MIGHT not work, he isnt working in my best interest. 

In football, someone that's a hot candidate one year could stay where they are at and be a laughingstock the very next season. It may very well be your only chance to take one of those jobs when it comes up. 

This is nonsense. 

(And even if you're slightly above average with the Jets, you're going to look like a savant) 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

These are the types of things you see when you are 0-4 and largely noncompetitive. 

One problem with the "who cares, lose every week by 30 points, we are tanking anyway" mindset is that it perpetuates the perception of NYJ ineptitude and hopelessness around the league. 

The organization is such a laughingstock right now. 

true which is why you need the #1 pick.  but they could really use a new voice in the locker room, since everyone was right about how bad gase is.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Look, there's no doubt whatsoever that the Jets are on the lower end of desirable jobs. In a vacuum any team that is perennially bad and clearly has poor ownership is a "bad" job.

That said:

1) There's a good chance we're going to have the first overall pick and Trevor Lawrence. That makes us substantially more attractive. This is in direct contrast with tying the gig to "saving Darnold" which is one of the strongest reasons he's gone.

2) We have a ton of cap space and draft picks in the next few years. Presumably the coach will have serious input on shaping and molding the roster as he'd like. The roster stinks but he's not tied to it at all.

The interesting tidbit there is on Joe Douglas. Clearly the first offseason didn't go the way he envisioned but I'm curious if his reputation has gone from sterling to terrible in one offseason or if @T0mShane's point about agents loving the freewheeling GM over the stingy GM colors the tidbits that are being fed to guys like Matt Miller.

Guaranteed the last bit about Joe Douglas was just Miller’s editorializing. He was incensed that Douglas traded Jamal Adams. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Such great points! You can't critique JDs draft yet, thats ridiculous. Plus, the most important part in all of this is that the Johnsons WANT Joe Douglas to pick the next Head Coach. Chris Johnson looks like a total moron right now regarding the Gase hire. It was a bad hire & the fact you hired the a loser coach fired from you same division speaks volumes. 

No one wants a pussy coach here & the fact the Jets have a lot of picks, a tradable QB, a bunch of money in a year where a lot of teams will finally be way over the cap, it's a lot better position than it appears right now.

Any team in the league has positives and potential.  

What makes the Jets unique is that no matter how many draft picks they have and now much cap space and a QB that was called the best in his draft class...  

So what. You still have the Johnsons pissing into your soup at every turn.

The result will be the same.  

The Jets will be serving up a sh*t stew as long as Johnson owns the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1