Jets HC Search Already in Trouble (Matt Miller)

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's only a handful of these jobs available every year. How many guys looking to land their first gig are actually going to put their nose up to he Jets?

I doubt many guys think this way.

I bet way more than you think.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I said if we got Trevor Lawrence, you Eeyore.  

Urban Meyer has a net worth of $30M and makes $7.5M a year from FOX which would be equivalent to being the 5th highest paid head coach in the NFL.  To talk.  On television.  One day a week.  Without a vicious media humiliating his family.  Without a joke fanbase calling for him to be fired after 4 games.

If we flip head coaches, we'll be back to getting a rookie defensive coordinator again because that's all we can attract.  No thanks.  

SAR I

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's only a handful of these jobs available every year. How many guys looking to land their first gig are actually going to put their nose up to he Jets?

I doubt many guys think this way.

I've seen this line of thinking and it's ignorant. Spoken like a true fan.

If this is your career, everything you've worked for... and your name is starting to finally circulate as a candidate for the top job?... you're god damn right they'll think twice about going to the Jets. There's no fcking rush whatsover. I can't think of a single fcking candidate worth his salt that "saw his window close" because he waited another season.

Zero.

0/100 people lost heat. 

B'elieve that story has merit. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Beyond laughable!  Pittsburgh's 4 coaches ever is completely unique in the NFL.  Marvin Lewis is an exception as well (though it's not like he won anything anyway).

You may as well bring up Bill Belichick too.  Gee, I wonder why the Pats have kept him as HC for the past 20 years?

How about Sean Payton?  John Harbaugh?  Andy Reid?  Pete Carroll? 

Do you notice a pattern?  Teams tend to not fire great HCs.  The rest of the NFL is in a constant search to find the right HC.  Let me make a bold prediction that Buffalo and Miami will keep their HC next year!

Teams PAY FOR good HC. Rhule costs money. Gruden costs money. It's not just the "Search" of finding these guys (the Jets did in fact HAVE BB under contract by the way) 

it's paying their RATE and the Johnsons have never shown an affinity for that game 

the Jets buy dollar store produce and wonder why it goes bad before they get home

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Urban Meyer has a net worth of $30M and makes $7.5M a year from FOX which would be equivalent to being the 5th highest paid head coach in the NFL.  To talk.  On television.  One day a week.  Without a vicious media humiliating his family.  Without a joke fanbase calling for him to be fired after 4 games.

If we flip head coaches, we'll be back to getting a rookie defensive coordinator again because that's all we can attract.  No thanks.  

SAR I

384757926_JetsEeyore.jpg.7a672d5e8ae38f1bd8fdb3d042b5e932.jpg

• Haha 1

Yep. As stated for years, people with options don’t come to the NY Jets. Predicting right now will be Bieniemy. Been passed over many times. Getting older. Desperate for his first HC opportunity. Basically an OC version of Rex. Got Jets written all over him.

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've seen this line of thinking and it's ignorant. Spoken like a true fan.

If this is your career, everything you've worked for... and your name is starting to finally circulate as a candidate for the top job?... you're god damn right they'll think twice about going to the Jets. There's no fcking rush whatsover. I can't think of a single fcking candidate worth his salt that "saw his window close" because he waited another season.

Zero.

0/100 people lost heat. 

B'elieve that story has merit. 

"Spoken like a true fan"?

yes - I am a fan.

What are you? 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Dolan is a great hockey owner.  The Rangers are set up beautifully right now.

I wouldn't get too  crazy about Dolan being a brilliant hockey owner. He has little interest in the game and probably can't explain icing or offsides so he leaves the hockey decisions to J.D. and Jeff Gorton and this has worked out really well. Just look at the Knicks where Dolan believes he knows what he's doing and see the results.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Three things:

1. This is why they need to fire Gase now, because every day he’s here, it reinforces the dysfunctionality of the org.

2. The Jets shouldn’t hire a rookie HC anyway.

3. I’m sure Douglas didn’t make a lot of friends in the agent community by refusing to bid on the high-end FA’s in a depressed free agent market. Maccagnan, by contrast, was a useful tool in driving up prices for every FA who hit the market

Fire Gase now. It gives us a security blanket to rehire him come next March when we can’t find anyone willing to accept the job.

These stories write themselves when you are in the midst of a disaster, and we are right now. But in 3 months if we have the right to select Lawrence, a ton of cap space, and a plethora of picks in the next 2 drafts--that narrative will change.

1 minute ago, JAFJET said:

I wouldn't get too  crazy about Dolan being a brilliant hockey owner. He has little interest in the game and probably can't explain icing or offsides so he leaves the hockey decisions to J.D. and Jeff Gorton and this has worked out really well. Just look at the Knicks where Dolan believes he knows what he's doing and see the results.

I understand all of this but I'm def not going to complain.

• Upvote 1

If the jets were smart they would fire Gase yesterday, restructure the football operations making Joe Douglas GM and Head of Football Operations - add a year to his contract to match the contract the HC that HE HIRES are on the same timetable. Begin the search formally. Start with the college ranks now.

There is not one valid reason to have Gase coach out the string. I never understood that philosophy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who got fired early in recent times?  Gase will be fired in 2 years but who besides that?  Maybe Mangini?  That was 12 years ago.

image.png.4fdfb08bafc1d7f137f949eb3ca0fd05.png

Parcells, Groh, Edwards (and even BB if you want to count him) all left on their volition. We have just as many guys give up the gig as we have to fire! 

I say BS.  So he is saying that a coach with an opportunity to coach a NFL team will turn the Jets down because they think the structure is wrong?  U think the OC of the chiefs won't come here with a contract and boat load of money? I think he would. I also don't believe the free agents are somehow "mad" at Douglas for not overpaying on some of the high end free agents. R the Jets a Super Bowl contender, no, but I have a hard time believing some guys will turn down the big dough to take less to go elsewhere.  Heck, you can look all over the league and pick out teams that I would rather not play for.  Bengals, Fish, Texans right now, Eagles, Giants, Detroit, and I'm sure. a few more.  Heck even the Cowboys and their "inept" ownership don't look great at the moment and still have to spend for a qb whether Dak or not.  Players and coaches may want the utopia and go to a loaded team with a great qb but I think the Benjamins dictate.  There will be a few exceptions of course but generally they go to where they get paid.  Logan Ryan probably had Super Bowl aspirations too. 

7 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Parcells, Groh, Edwards (and even BB if you want to count him) all left on their volition. We have just as many guys give up the gig as we have to fire! 

Parcells might've wanted to stay another year until Robert Kraft called about hiring BB.  BP immediately retired and handed the reigns to BB.  Unfortunately, our owners are complete buffoons and BB wanted absolutely nothing to do with them.  Al Groh had a shotgun wedding here for 1 year and used it as leverage to get his dream job.

Herm didn't leave on his own volition.  We traded him to the Chiefs.

It’s all going to be quite interesting. This franchise is at a crossroads like it has never been in before. Yes we have been bad before and bottom of the league embarrassing bad.

But we have a GM who is highly touted yet starting to sour a little on the fan base, along with a young QB with all the talent in the world who the fans are also souring on. 

If Douglas truly wanted this team to be his picked from top to bottom, he is about to get his wish. His own QB whether that means keeping Sam or moving on, its his/new coaches decision  / his own HC / restock the entire roster with his own players, which of course means a COMPLETE rebuild. The eternal rebuild....

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ageingjetfan said:

And btw I would find out who this agent is and never deal with him again. Some balls to say this if he did when he is an agent and has players looking for a large contract or a coach looking for a shot. If it was me he just narrowed the field. 

You can’t dump someone after they already dumped you.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Herm didn't leave on his own volition.  We traded him to the Chiefs.

He wanted to go there and they let him go. It was BB lite.

Not that anyone cared at the time - he had run his course here, but he was not fired.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the Jets are the only team offering you your first HC job, you probably say yes. But, if you are comfortable in the belief that you will get future offers (Matt Ruhle), you say no. 

Actually Matt Ruhle did NOT turn down the Jets; he turned down not being allowed to pick he own staff. If CJ/Macc had done what any sane management would do in the NFL, and let him pick his own staff, he would be our coach today.

20 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

No sh!t. How do you think we end up with these losers at GM and HC. We get the scraps. 

If this is true beyond this one source/agent...then we really only have 2 choices:

- College HC

- NFL coordinator who is “a year or two away“ from being a top candidate. Someone like Joe Brady for example.

I didn’t list a current NFL head coach as an option because I don’t see a scenario where any coach worth anything will be available. I just really hope we don’t hire another defensive coordinator - 1st year HC guy.

Hire a real offensive guru whose offense will actually be good as he grows into the HC role (if he’s not “ready” to be a HC from the get go)...or go for a CEO type who will truly oversee everything and is a program builder.

1 minute ago, viffer said:

Actually Matt Ruhle did NOT turn down the Jets; he turned down not being allowed to pick he own staff. If CJ/Macc had done what any sane management would do in the NFL, and let him pick his own staff, he would be our coach today.

Bingo! I think the gripe was that they wanted him to hire Gase as OC. Clearly Matt Rhule is a smart man who is already creating a culture down in Carolina, while our offensive genius is “ready to change things up and be physical in practice” at 0-4. Good job coach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Three things:

1. This is why they need to fire Gase now, because every day he’s here, it reinforces the dysfunctionality of the org.

2. The Jets shouldn’t hire a rookie HC anyway.

3. I’m sure Douglas didn’t make a lot of friends in the agent community by refusing to bid on the high-end FA’s in a depressed free agent market. Maccagnan, by contrast, was a useful tool in driving up prices for every FA who hit the market

Here is what I do;

Step 1: Fire Gase and Loggains right now.  The timing is perfect.  You risked the "long term future" cough cough by putting Sam back out there when clearly he wasnt healthy.  Same with Becton.  This type of negligence is a perfect way to explain "why now"? and you instantly gain credibility back that you are clearly losing by continuing to endorse Gase and the product on the field.

Step 2: Promote Williams, let Vit runs the defense and Cooter run the offense.  

The Jets dont need the next up and coming hot shot coordinator, they need a gritty grizzled veteran HC who's been dragged through the mud and proven he can overcome the ineptitude of the organization.  Someone who has overseen transition, someone who has overcome historic losing.  They need a transition coach that can build the foundation, bring respect to the organization and while you keep your eye on the next hot shot because you have made the organization more appealing. 

I present to you;

Step 3: Jim Caldwell.  He will take this job, turn the culture around, partner with Douglas to bring stability and respect.   Get this team to around 8-8/9-7 like he did in Detroit and then pass the torch.

Bring in Jameis Winston, trade Darnold, draft Fields and let Jim Bob Cooter go yolo with Winston like he did with Stafford in Detroit while you build and groom a roster around the franchise QB.

Step 4: Let me run the drafts and then we let Douglas go after Matt Campbell in 2022/23 when he's ready to leave and show him the job is much better than when Big Mac was selling him a bill of goods.

Boom!  Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If this is true beyond this one source/agent...then we really only have 2 choices:

- College HC

- NFL coordinator who is “a year or two away“ from being a top candidate. Someone like Joe Brady for example.

I didn’t list a current NFL head coach as an option because I don’t see a scenario where any coach worth anything will be available. I just really hope we don’t hire another defensive coordinator - 1st year HC guy.

Hire a real offensive guru whose offense will actually be good as he grows into the HC role (if he’s not “ready” to be a HC from the get go)...or go for a CEO type who will truly oversee everything and is a program builder.

I think there’s gonna have to be a connection to Douglas. That’s why I think Roman or Martindale will be a possibility. Other then them, no idea. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Step 3: Jim Caldwell.  He will take this job, turn the culture around, partner with Douglas to bring stability and respect.   Get this team to around 8-8/9-7 like he did in Detroit and then pass the torch.

This is one of those picks that actually makes a ton of sense but would be reviled by the fanbase.

I don't really see a point in hiring a HC you aren't confident will be the long term guy, however.