Jets HC Search Already in Trouble (Matt Miller)

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Darnold?  lol  - he's done dude

idk - the other factor is, what if Winston a year on the bench behind Brees got some osmosis type sh*t and cut the turnovers down but still threw 30 TD's and 5K yards?   This place would be a circle jerk of epic portions and I really really would enjoy an epic circle jerk.  Tough to find these days with social distancing. 

Darnold but how the hell did I butcher Darnold enough for my stupid auto correct to think i meant Dark pls

28 minutes ago, varjet said:

Gase was 23-25 with the Dolphins and was really only getting fired by Ross because he shot his way out of there.

He made the playoffs his first year and was 10-6.  

No one thought this was a disasterous hire at the time.  We were unenthusiastic, but we were hopeful that a former HC/QBC would work with Darnold.

It has been highlighted that Gase's injury history and inability to get along with and relate to his players may have be the reason he went below .500 his last two seasons with Miami, and he looks far worse with the Jets than he ever did with Miami.  

Gase needs to go.  

Bowles went 10-6 in his first year too.

I get what he is saying, but there are only so many of those positions, and the ones that open are generally in a bad position otherwise they wouldn't be available. The Jets have always been able to interview guys. They just **** it up all the time. You, as a losing organization, cannot try and dictate to a talented coach how they are going to do their job.  You offer them big money and let them do it their way if you really believe in them.

I don't understand how people think that candidates will not not rule out the Jets based on the dysfunction of the organization. If you went on a job interview and the place was totally disorganized and dysfunctional, would you take the job? Of course you wouldn't.

No coordinator with any reputation is going to take this job unless he's best buds with Douglas. So you're probably looking at someone who has been out of the league for a while, who left on his own volition, and who can be convinced to come back. I doubt Cowher would accept, but I'd be very interested in Tony Dungy if it was possible. Whoever it is, it has to be someone who can change the culture quickly.

And please, no Belichick-tree candidates. Every one of them (except Flores) has been light years worse than anyone else except Gase.

4 minutes ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I don't understand how people think that candidates will not not rule out the Jets based on the dysfunction of the organization. If you went on a job interview and the place was totally disorganized and dysfunctional, would you take the job? Of course you wouldn't.

No coordinator with any reputation is going to take this job unless he's best buds with Douglas. So you're probably looking at someone who has been out of the league for a while, who left on his own volition, and who can be convinced to come back. I doubt Cowher would accept, but I'd be very interested in Tony Dungy if it was possible. Whoever it is, it has to be someone who can change the culture quickly.

And please, no Belichick-tree candidates. Every one of them (except Flores) has been light years worse than anyone else except Gase.

Mike Vrabel

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Three things:

1. This is why they need to fire Gase now, because every day he’s here, it reinforces the dysfunctionality of the org.

2. The Jets shouldn’t hire a rookie HC anyway.

3. I’m sure Douglas didn’t make a lot of friends in the agent community by refusing to bid on the high-end FA’s in a depressed free agent market. Maccagnan, by contrast, was a useful tool in driving up prices for every FA who hit the market

Playing Devil's Advocate....what does it look like if the organization continues to fire coach after coach who fails with a suboptimal roster.  I agree that Gase has to go, but anyone looking at this job has to think to himself, "So they hire me, don't get me players, can't keep players healthy, then fire me after about 20 games if I only win 7 games with a horrible roster?  Is that how it works?"

Our dopey owners should definitely put the brakes on Gase using our few players with a future while they are banged up but at this point Gase is kind of a useful idiot. If you fire him now you run the risk of an interim coach coming in and actually winning two or even three games and blowing the draft pick. Let Gase go on and fire him at the end of the season, he's the best man for the Trevor Lawrence race to the bottom.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Playing Devil's Advocate....what does it look like if the organization continues to fire coach after coach who fails with a suboptimal roster.  I agree that Gase has to go, but anyone looking at this job has to think to himself, "So they hire me, don't get me players, can't keep players healthy, then fire me after about 20 games if I only win 7 games with a horrible roster?  Is that how it works?"

The NY Jets gave todd bowles and rex rayn an extra two years from when they started to look really bad.

this is a fable that the jets hire and fire guys willy nilly.

Anyone with a brain at all will look at gase and know he should be fired.  You can't be an offensive coach and be dead last in offesne two years in a row.

There will be a number of good coaches to choose from, its just a matter of if you go for a guy with experience or a new college whiz kid.

The jets had some good candidates there for us last time the owner just fucgged up.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh wow.  I didn't realize that.  I stand corrected.

image.png.eaa7f7deb499ec6a654d3013ec62f3bd.png

Weren't there rumors of some animosity between Belichick and Vrabel?  Or, was it just that one incident with the intentional penalties at the end of the playoff game last year?  Personally, I thought it was great watching Vrabel give Belichick a tastes of his own medicine. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Bowles went 10-6 in his first year too.

True, but then went 5-11 and 4-12 TWICE.

Gase went 6-10 and 7-9.  

Both not acceptable, but Bowles was worse.  

But actually, I now think that Bowles with JD working together would be better than Gase and JD. 

Obviously if the Jets did go 0-16 I think everything is on the table as far as Douglas being out with Gase. While it’s unfair to JD I don’t think it’s the worst idea in the world either. Start fresh and get two guys together on the same timeline. 

I am certain that Chris Johnson is not happy right now. While I don’t think he was expecting playoffs or even a winning record he wasn’t prepared for it to be this bad. 

The job Douglas has done thus far is akin to the contractor you hire to redo your kitchen when you are on a budget. Are you expecting it to be state of the art? No, but you also don’t want to see cabinets falling apart immediately afterward. 

• In the case of Bowles and Ryan, it would have been tough to fire them when things started to go South.  In the case of Ryan, he was great for two years, and a first time HC.  You don’t fire that coach after a bad year 3.  In the case of Bowles, he had a very good first year as HC, was a diverse HC, and he needed to get a chance to learn.  I actually think Bowles could end up an OK HC with a better GM.  But for Gase, there were rumblings of his flaws before.  He has shown over the last 20 games that his flaws are ingrained and not fixable despite the roster.  Darnold looks bad but I would have to think someone could come up with an offense that worked better for him.  But the bottom line is I don’t see anyone in the NFL caring if the Jets fire Gase now and try to save Darnold and the rest of the team from his medical one other mismanagement and move forward.  
  • JD has obviously made some questionable decisions, and has delivered an OL that is not working.  A lot of that has to do with the injuries.  Cameron Clark would likely be a better RG than GVR, and hopefully we see that.  But I have no doubt that JD’s ability to sign FAs this off season was influenced by the Johnsons.  

On 10/8/2020 at 10:57 AM, peebag said:

lol...like the Johnsons are going to fire Gase with 2 years left on a contract.

you don't get it....it's all about cash and they ain't gonna leave any on the table.

Gase will be back next year.

Agreed. The Johnsons always keep these bums (Edwards, Ryan, Bowles) around well past their expiration dates. And they do that because they hate paying ex-coaches to not coach. And somehow the Jets always end up with the cheapest option. And never get the high end big name coach. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Agreed. The Johnsons always keep these bums (Edwards, Ryan, Bowles) around well past their expiration dates. And they do that because they hate paying ex-coaches to not coach. And somehow the Jets always end up with the cheapest option. And never get the high end big name coach. 

I mostly agree. They hate paying ex-HCs (or GMs). They are the poster children for the sunken cost fallacy.

But they did axe Bowles with 2 years remaining. They pay him through the end of this season--there is some undisclosed cost-split with the Bucs because Bowles' contract had an off-set provision, as I understand.

So I do believe they will fire Gase. But we may have to wait to the end of the year. At least then the lucky sperm bros are only paying one ex-HC to do nothing at a time.

On 10/8/2020 at 5:17 PM, varjet said:

True, but then went 5-11 and 4-12 TWICE.

Gase went 6-10 and 7-9.  

Both not acceptable, but Bowles was worse.  

But actually, I now think that Bowles with JD working together would be better than Gase and JD. 

Bowles being an idiot was smiling ear to ear on draft day 2017 when the Jets, without a QB nor an offense, picked 2 safeties with their top 2 picks. Think about  team without an offense passing on Mahomes and Watson; infuriating incompetence. There is an institutional failure here to understand you need a real QB with a serious passing offense to score points. Pretty much form the day they were approved, the Johnsons have hired coaches who think you can win NFL games 13-10 every week. 

On 10/8/2020 at 4:49 PM, jetstream23 said:

Every coach the Johnsons have hired thinks the forward pass is evil and offense is not important. This franchise has spent 2 decades bucking trends and failing miserably. The rules as enforced beg you to pass, and put defenses in a position to fail. PI is an easy way to get upfield quick for almost nothing. The NFL right now is designed to have defenses fail several times every game no matter how good your personnel or scheme is. 

• Upvote 4

On 10/8/2020 at 4:04 PM, joewilly12 said:

At least our offense would gain some speed and excitement its been bland for years. 

Watching a NY Jets game compared to others is like watching paint dry. 

"I'm going to throw this ball up, and somebody on one of the 2 teams playing will catch it." 

On 10/8/2020 at 3:29 PM, varjet said:

Gase was 23-25 with the Dolphins and was really only getting fired by Ross because he shot his way out of there.

He made the playoffs his first year and was 10-6.  

No one thought this was a disasterous hire at the time.  We were unenthusiastic, but we were hopeful that a former HC/QBC would work with Darnold.

It has been highlighted that Gase's injury history and inability to get along with and relate to his players may have be the reason he went below .500 his last two seasons with Miami, and he looks far worse with the Jets than he ever did with Miami.  

Gase needs to go.  

What?

Plenty of us thought this was a disastrous hire.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Every coach the Johnsons have hired thinks the forward pass is evil and offense is not important. This franchise has spent 2 decades bucking trends and failing miserably. The rules as enforced beg you to pass, and put defenses in a position to fail. PI is an easy way to get upfield quick for almost nothing. The NFL right now is designed to have defenses fail several times every game no matter how good your personnel or scheme is. 

Absolutely.  The NFL is pushing for "offense wins championships".  I wish it weren't the case.  I'd love to watch ground and pound and 13-10 games where a dominant defense can win but that's just not reality right now.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:57 AM, peebag said:

lol...like the Johnsons are going to fire Gase with 2 years left on a contract.

you don't get it....it's all about cash and they ain't gonna leave any on the table.

Gase will be back next year.

They fired Bowled with 2 years left. They will fire Gase so long as Chris Johnson is willing to eat some humble pie. If CJ is gonna be stubborn we may be stuck with Gase another year.

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

They fired Bowled with 2 years left. They will fire Gase so long as Chris Johnson is willing to eat some humble pie. If CJ is gonna be stubborn we may be stuck with Gase another year.

IMO Bowles and Bates had the offense looking 10X better than under Gase!

People wanted to be the HC BECAUSE OF SAM DARNOLD and Darnold looked great at times under Bates  (See GB Game)!!!!

Now posters are saying Darnold is a BUST!!

How does Gase keep failing UP!!!!!!

• Post of the Week 1