HC job for NYJ about as attractive as it gets

I mean I always hear that somehow coaching staffs and players dont want to come here but it seems to me it would be a great opportunity. I meam buffalo, Patriots hell miami all dumpster fires at one point in time where new team came and and made it respectable. Buffalo recently, but new England before it. 

I know it's not as simple as that but I don't believe the whole our search for a HC is going bad. I mean if you are a young coach looking for opportunity, or veteran coach you basically see the Jets as a home run. You literally just have to do better than bowles to seem like a rocks star. Rex for all his faults is still seen as a great coach for us. And while I agree he did great things he wasn't a great coach, hell if the team didn't bottom out due the the roster moves he probably would still be the coach.

So I do think gase gets replaced,  probably fired, before the season is done but I see the Jets as probably a great destination for an upcoming HC. They will see the background of Joe Douglas and see the contracts he has made to improve the team in 1 off season, literally set us up to go any direction with out any major contracts other than previously made ones and with the cap those shouldn't really be a problem to mold this roster towards any future HC preferred direction.

Joe D is going to be around so that gives the new coach stability and assurance that the team is stable and finally running properly. Joe is going to tell him that the potential coach is his hand picked guy and has a vision. Will let him go with darnold or draft a new qb for him and let him know what players he is going to be drafting...I e "listen I'm going to fix the line, draft some offensice skill players  and let you bring in your guys.

Then at the back of it all, the new HC knows he really doesn't have to do much to be seen as a great coach. I mean literally any professional coach knows how bad Gase play calling is, how terrible his inability to coach hinders everything and everyone on the team.

Over night the team can be decent. With luck and some talent we could be average next year and win games. Just looking competitive will be enough for the fans to embrace whoever it is.

Anyway probably nothing extraordinary about my rant but I really don't think it's that bad, well no, its Terrible, but I think Joe knows it's all fixable by replacing our coach and he plans on bringing his guy in next year, playing the team politics because gase gave him the job. 

• Haha 4

Well we already know we will, at best, be the 2nd most attractive destination.  The Texans job is much more attractive given that their roster was built to win now.  Watson has struggled but is still very much a franchise QB.  

If the Jets get the # 1 pick this job could end up pretty high on the list for certain coaches out there.  But a lot of it depends on who, exactly, is hiring the HC.  If its Douglas I'll feel a lot more confident in the process.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well we already know we will, at best, be the 2nd most attractive destination.  The Texans job is much more attractive given that their roster was built to win now.  Watson has struggled but is still very much a franchise QB.  

If the Jets get the # 1 pick this job could very easily be high on the list for certain coaches out there.  But a lot of it depends on who, exactly, is hiring the HC.  If its Douglas I'll feel a lot more confident in the process.

I dunno about that.

Losing Hopkins was a huge deal for the Texans.  Watt is way past his prime. The Texans have also done a lot of dumb stuff over the years like give Brock Osweiler a huge contract before even meeting him

But yeah no Chris and Woody so you’re right

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the Jets get the # 1 pick this job could end up pretty high on the list for certain coaches out there.  But a lot of it depends on who, exactly, is hiring the HC.  If its Douglas I'll feel a lot more confident in the process.

I'm just curious who a Joe Douglas type of coach is exactly.

Like would he want a young gun or established guy who maybe needs another shot. It will be interesting for sure.

1 think I pray is that Joe gets to pick him and the HC answers to him

• Upvote 1

It's a fairly attractive job if we land the top pick. You get to start with Lawrence, 3 more 1st round picks over the next 2 years, a ton of cap space, and JD has a good reputation around the league.

The wrench in those plans is the looming return of Woody, and the Johnson's incompetence in general.

• Sympathy 2

There's more positives than there were when Gase was hired, but a lot of going to loom on what type of restrictions are on the coach and any.. "instability" in ownership. 

If you try to tell a coach they need so and so as a coach or player, forget it. Not only do coaches not want to have a forced marriage outside of maybe the GM... it's a warning sign of a bad organization. This is also why it is imperative that they let Douglas make the hire. 

..but who are we kidding. Gase was promised he was safe before the season ever started. 

There are a few problems with this.

1. The Cap space is very misleading because the roster will have so many holes in the offseason. The Jets currently have nobody on the roster to play these positions:

CB1 CB3, CB4, SS, FS, WR 1, WR2, DT, and both Edge positions. 

2. Joe Douglas did not improve the team. The Jets aren't even competitive right now. They went from bad to awful. 

3. Getting the first overall pick is bad for Joe Douglas' long term job security. The same thing happened in Cleveland. Why would a coach work for a GM on the hot seat?

4. If the Jets don't have the first overall pick, the Jets HC job will be the worst available HC job and its not even close. Jacksonville, Houston, Denver, Detroit, and Atlanta at least have some pieces in place. Who do the Jets have to build off? Becton and maybe Quinnen, and a overpaid MLB who will be two years removed from football?

• Upvote 2

Just like Belichek found out  4 days into this millenium after a brief conversation - Johnson is a mouth breather and was too stupid to become involved with. He hasn't gotten any smarter 2 decades down the road and his brother is equally inept. No one with anything on the ball comes into this organization so long as twiddley dee and twiddly dum are ruling the roost.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Johnsons are becoming as horrific as Al Davis in his final years.  No big time coach is coming here

At least Al looked like a fun, crazy old man. The Johnson brothers just look like a pair of silver spoon, dicks wearing hats two sizes too small.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t know about “attractive”. I cant see why any coach would want to join a team with no talent. Some goof ball like Gase yeah, but anyone who’s somebody would be mad to take this roster on. The team is worst than last season; and that’s pretty bad. Tannenbaum was the last guy to address roster issues 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not to mention Texas is a much tax friendlier place....  I mean NJ????

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Not to mention Texas is a much tax friendlier place....  I mean NJ????

The only people who think the Jets are an attractive place to work are Jets fans...

I was howled at for suggesting certain agents have the Jets on blacklist for their best clients ("But their job is just to get dat money!!!").  Now we have a recent quote from a HC agent that it is indeed the case. Was obvious but sometimes you have to rub Jets fans noses in the truth like a dog who soils the carpet.

Good agents don't let their clients piss their careers away. I hope Trevor Lawrence hires P Diddy and not D Rosenhaus.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

The only people who think the Jets are an attractive place to work are Jets fans...

I was howled at for suggesting certain agents have the Jets on blacklist for their best clients ("But their job is just to get dat money!!!").  Now we have a recent quote from a HC agent that it is indeed the case. Was obvious but sometimes you have to rub Jets fans noses in the truth like a dog who soils the carpet.

Good agents don't let their clients piss their careers away. I hope Trevor Lawrence hires P Diddy and not D Rosenhaus.

This has been going on well before Woody. A former CB for , 8 year career in NFL, is a member of our club. Told me the general consensus was do NOT go to the Jets. That would have been 88-96 give or take. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Really?   0-4 team with no first or second round draft picks?

Giving a HC 3 years with JD, a top 5 pick and a second first plus 2 firsts in 2021 is VERY attractive.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn’t that depend on who they select as gm?  I doubt if they do a coach/gm again.  IMO they’ll go gm and then coach.  And the rub is much as O’Brien was a bad gm he’s still a decent coach.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

This has been going on well before Woody. A former CB for , 8 year career in NFL, is a member of our club. Told me the general consensus was do NOT go to the Jets. That would have been 88-96 give or take. 

Yet many think players and coaches are dying to get here

In think it's an attractive job from the perspective that a new HC will immediately have a lot of input in shaping the roster. This of course is due to the surplus of draft picks and the lack of any long term/large contracts.

Joe D also providing long term stability is a plus, and no, he's not on the hot seat nor is he going anywhere for at least 3 more years.

The obvious negative is our ownership and having 0 faith that they'll get the hire right and then get out of the way.

• Post of the Week 1

I don’t see Joe D as a selling point, if we have the number one pick that’s a selling point... Other than Joe having a ginormous head, I don’t see the brilliance that people think they see... 

If the Johnson’s were serious and either let Joe pick out his own coach, or brought in a proven winner, otherwise we will do this dance again in two years...

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lions:

- Stafford is old and meh.

- Will also be looking to hire a new GM which adds a whole extra dimension.

Falcons:

- Matty Ice is old.

- Will probably win enough to not get the 1st/2nd pick.

Texans:

- Watson FQB but...

- No playmakers / No draft picks.

Jax:

- Decent QB to work with

- Will have a high pick to draft FQB

- sh*tload of picks

- Cap space

NYJ:

- GM who is respected and safe for his contract duration, a potential second youngest QB in the NFL FQB...oh and if you’re not high on Sam...

- Probable high pick to draft his replacement and trade away Sam for a decent return.

- Lots of cap space and high draft picks through multiple rounds.

Most  of this will depend on Joe Douglas and how much power he will have to pick his coach and control the roster. If candidates are assured they JD will keep J&J away from meddling (truth or not it is perception), then I think we are in a good situation.

• Upvote 2

In the Johnsons’ 20 years of owning the team, what coach or executive can say that worked out well for him?

The HC job will get filled, but by the same type of guy that filled it before.  A coordinator that has not been promoted yet, likely.  Maybe a fallen former HC again, like Pederson.  Maybe he trusts JD and does not want to move his kids away.  

The Jets are not hiring a Harbaugh, Riley, Shaw type.  Not yet.  Not until the Johnsons admit defeat and hire someone else to run the team, like Leon Hess did. 

The similarities between the Johnsons and Hess’ are actually remarkable.  Both also employed mediocre types (Gutman and Hymie) to “run” the team-basically their yes men. Hymie would appear to be a bit of a lightweight. 

I do think the Johnsons would like to fire Gase but would like some comfort, even if under the table, that they will do better than him for a replacement.  I do not think that is necessarily assured, particularly if it costs $8mm to get rid of Gase. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Texans have Watson and that is pretty much it. Watt is on his last legs and they have traded away a lot of their picks. 

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Most  of this will depend on Joe Douglas and how much power he will have to pick his coach and control the roster. If candidates are assured they JD will keep J&J away from meddling (truth or not it is perception), then I think we are in a good situation.

Gase does not report to JD.  Gase and JD reach report to the Johnsons.  Actually, they may report to Hymie. 

I believe Rex reported to Tanny, then to Idzik, although Idzik was hired on the condition that he keep Rex.  Then he basically did not sign any players for Rex to make it easier to fire him.  That is why Mac and Bowles were both hired reporting to the Johnsons.  

Given that JD has four more years on his contract, if I were the Johnsons, for this round I would try JD running football and having the HC report to JD.  My guess is that it would have an improved result.  The new HC and JD would then have overlapping contracts.  

If that does not work, then they can go back to the other way, or whatever other way they want.

8 hours ago, pointman said:

At least Al looked like a fun, crazy old man. The Johnson brothers just look like a pair of silver spoon, dicks wearing hats two sizes too small.

Woody is Al without the funny

Also, Al was just scenile.  Woody is just stupid

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

In the Johnsons’ 20 years of owning the team, what coach or executive can say that worked out well for him?

The HC job will get filled, but by the same type of guy that filled it before.  A coordinator that has not been promoted yet, likely.  Maybe a fallen former HC again, like Pederson.  Maybe he trusts JD and does not want to move his kids away.  

The Jets are not hiring a Harbaugh, Riley, Shaw type.  Not yet.  Not until the Johnsons admit defeat and hire someone else to run the team, like Leon Hess did. 

The similarities between the Johnsons and Hess’ are actually remarkable.  Both also employed mediocre types (Gutman and Hymie) to “run” the team-basically their yes men. Hymie would appear to be a bit of a lightweight. 

I do think the Johnsons would let to fire Gase but would like some comfort, even if under the table, that they will do better than him for a replacement.  I do not think that is necessarily assured, particularly if it costs $8mm to get rid of Gase. 

No one can say it worked out well.

Rex had the most success here and had the best relationship with the Johnsons.  They even threw him under the bus saddling him with that stupid Tim Tebow trade in 2012 and then refusing to sign a starting caliber corner in 2014 with $30 million in cap room

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Lions:

- Stafford is old and meh.

- Will also be looking to hire a new GM which adds a whole extra dimension.

Falcons:

- Matty Ice is old.

- Will probably win enough to not get the 1st/2nd pick.

Texans:

- Watson FQB but...

- No playmakers / No draft picks.

Jax:

- Decent QB to work with

- Will have a high pick to draft FQB

- sh*tload of picks

- Cap space

NYJ:

- GM who is respected and safe for his contract duration, a potential second youngest QB in the NFL FQB...oh and if you’re not high on Sam...

- Probable high pick to draft his replacement and trade away Sam for a decent return.

- Lots of cap space and high draft picks through multiple rounds.

NYJ - Joe Douglas will lose any respect he gained if the Jets have the first pick. Sam Darnold will not have a decent return. The Jets will get a 4th round pick at best right now. They have a lot of cap space because the roster is the least talented in the NFL. How many players under contract for 2021 could be considered above average? CJ Mosley after missing two years of football, and maybe a injured Rookie LT?

DET - Matthew Stafford can still play another 5 years. You have a borderline top 10 QB. TheyIf they bring in a new GM, it will give even more job security to the new HC.

ATL - Roster has high end talent all over the field. Stable QB, good weapons and good players on defense. They are a good coach away from being playoff contenders.

HOU - Their 5th best Wideout would be a starter on the Jets even if everyone was healhty. They are playoff caliber with good coaching.

JAX - More talented version of the Jets

The Jets situation is by far the worst without Lawrence, 

1 minute ago, hamat711 said:

NYJ - Joe Douglas will lose any respect he gained if the Jets have the first pick. Sam Darnold will not have a decent return. The Jets will get a 4th round pick at best right now. They have a lot of cap space because the roster is the least talented in the NFL. How many players under contract for 2021 could be considered above average? CJ Mosley after missing two years of football, and maybe a injured Rookie LT?

DET - Matthew Stafford can still play another 5 years. You have a borderline top 10 QB. TheyIf they bring in a new GM, it will give even more job security to the new HC.

ATL - Roster has high end talent all over the field. Stable QB, good weapons and good players on defense. They are a good coach away from being playoff contenders.

HOU - Their 5th best Wideout would be a starter on the Jets even if everyone was healhty. They are playoff caliber with good coaching.

JAX - More talented version of the Jets

The Jets situation is by far the worst without Lawrence, 

Marrone should be safe.  Jags are rebuilding and he’s done a good job developing their young players

If the Jets tried to trade Darnold this past off season, what do you think they would have gotten for him?  At least a 2nd, I would have thought.  He improved from 2018 and had some decent moments.

Gase either needs to get in line or get replaced and come up with a plan to make Darnold look good, if he is healthy.  Big if.  Its the best way to help the franchise.  Either he carries that through to next season, or it increases his trade value.