If We Lose Out On...

Just now, predator_05 said:

If it's a con, we won't find out for another 3 years.

That's why you offer hope. With hope comes expectation, and discussions relating to whether those expectations will be fulfilled. The entire cycle of - is he good or not? - will play out over half a decade, which takes pressure off the owners. 

This is nothing but escapism, fandom is irrational by design. Groundhog day. The owners know this. 

let me ask the question a different way 

with no weapons, half a line etc 

wouldn't the Jets just "ruin" Trevor like they ruined Darnold? 

this is a question about team building 

there's the sanchez model where you load up everything and try to find the rookie to move resources to as he grows (there was no way Sanchez year 5 post extension was going to have the same support Sanchez year 1, it's simple cap management 

and then there's the Darnold model where you trade 3 second round picks and believe the QB will be so great he will overcome all the lack of resources around him (resources which were used to acquire him) 

the question is this: Do we believe in the Sanchez model or the Darnold model or building a team? 

13 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Giants are gonna beat washington maybe even the eagles. There a competitive team

I agree. Giants will 'be in' some games as Falcons also will. The Jets, sadly, have zero games that I can see where they will have ANY chance of winning. 0-16 is probable. Miami road win over 49ers show we wont beat then once. Jets would NEVER be able to do what Dolphins did yesterday, NEVER.

My fear is season cancelled and in true Jets luck, NFL will take winless teams and make them flip coin or something to determine #1.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, section314 said:

Early line Miami-10. Let that sink in for a minute.

Miami is a much better team but Fitz can always throw a game away and when we play them down the line this season Tua could be in and he could always come out of the gates struggling to start his career. Who knows.

Shame this is what we are left to talk about. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

let me ask the question a different way 

with no weapons, half a line etc 

wouldn't the Jets just "ruin" Trevor like they ruined Darnold? 

this is a question about team building 

there's the sanchez model where you load up everything and try to find the rookie to move resources to as he grows (there was no way Sanchez year 5 post extension was going to have the same support Sanchez year 1, it's simple cap management 

and then there's the Darnold model where you trade 3 second round picks and believe the QB will be so great he will overcome all the lack of resources around him (resources which were used to acquire him) 

the question is this: Do we believe in the Sanchez model or the Darnold model or building a team? 

I'm not sure there's a definitive model, but i can describe what the 'sweet spot' looks like:

1. A smart, innovative coaching staff that understands the game, and the QBs strengths and weaknesses.

2. A front office that drafts well and makes the right moves in free agency; steadily improving the roster whenever possible.

3. A team possessing a combination of ascending and experienced players; they'll make the QBs job easier.

4. A diverse back office consisting of competent scouts, analysts, medical department, physios, strength and conditioning.

5. Patient, unobtrusive owners, with a long-term vision. 

6. Supportive fan base and media.

7. Luck. 

Very few teams hit the 'sweet spot', as described above. The Patriots did, the chiefs recently, seahawks, the steelers to a lesser extent. 

The darnold and sanchez era were complete failures, they were nowhere near the sweet spot described above. They were half-assed attempts at achieving short-term success. 

Lawrence will succeed if, and only if, he hits that sweet spot. 

Being a cynic, my guess is that he'll fall short of expectations, just like darnold did. 

The organization is a dumpster fire; and the fire is too strong for one talented firefighter to extinguish. 

56 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Dolphins will destroy us

Now the patriots if they are starting Stidham or Hoyer — those are the potential accidental wins that keep me up at night 

LOL, the Patriots would beat us handily with Luke Falk at QB. That defense legitimately shut our offense out for two full games last year. I am terrified to see what it does to this year's version. 

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

The darnold and sanchez era were complete failures, they were nowhere near the sweet spot described above. They were half-assed attempts at achieving short-term success. 

agree with most of your post but just to be clear Mark Sanchez is the all time playoff wins leader, all happened on the road, and went to the AFC CG 2x

it was a failure in the sense it never won the big game or got there but turns out RED-YEL-GREEN wasn't the dumbest thing ever

this. This is the dumbest thing ever

not that I would pass on Lawrence per se but i suspect those looking to him for a savior are just making the same mistake with Darnold over again 

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

not that I would pass on Lawrence per se but i suspect those looking to him for a savior are just making the same mistake with Darnold over again 

Oh, for sure. We all know its gonna be a car crash. I'm just hoping for a good season or two along the way.

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Just now, southtown24th said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

At first it was fun to bust your chops. But now I think we need an intervention for your own good. Take a mental health break, bro. Love ya.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

At first it was fun to bust your chops. But now I think we need an intervention for your own good. Take a mental health break, bro. Love ya.

we good homie

living high on the hog here in the most beautiful part of the country, Southern CA.

Gainfully employed.

beautiful wife.

beautiful kids.

beautiful home.

here for one reason: to make myself laugh.

period.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, southtown24th said:

we good homie

living high on the hog here in the most beautiful part of the country, Southern CA.

Gainfully employed.

beautiful wife.

beautiful kids.

beautiful home.

here for one reason: to make myself laugh.

period.

Sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to spend less time here.

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to spend less time here.

I am here!  Ready to go! 

Until I decide to bail again.

Sad.  I feel sad for you.  Really sad.  

Bi levels are tough places to live. I get it.

Inheriting homes from your mother's brother in Plainview, LI sucks dick.

I get it.

1 minute ago, southtown24th said:

I am here!  Ready to go! 

Until I decide to bail again.

Sad.  I feel sad for you.  Really sad.  

Bi levels are tough places to live. I get it.

Inheriting homes from your mother's brother in Plainview, LI sucks dick.

I get it.

Are you bragging about yourself or trying to insult me? Anyone else needs a decoder ring here??