Jump to content

When will Joe Douglas face the media


Jet hustle
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas clearly moved on from Robbie Anderson and Jamal Adams before he even began negotiating. One certainly doesn't have to be very competent to have the off-season Joe has had in 2020. Answer this question; So far who's the best player JD brought to the Jets who didn't fall (Mekhi Becton) in his lap? 

Wait, Becton "fell into his lap"? I do not remember unanimous consent that Becton had to be the Jets pick. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct!

There can only be one of two things that happened.

1) JD was fully cleaning house - wiping out everything Mac and starting over.  That includes giving up on Sam.  Wasn't a rebuild year but a tear-down.

or

2) He believed he updated the roster and built a team that would be competitive.

__________________________________ 

#1 can live with - if this is his strategy so be it.  Let's execute on the draft and begin the rebuild this off-season.

#2 is scary.  This would mean he's entirely inept and we're in for another 4 years of garbage.

 

I want to wish it was #2 and in some ways, especially when you look at the short term contracts he handed out maybe he was thinking this way but the issue is, you cant take an entire offseason off.   Especially when you were already one of the worst Football teams in the NFL.  You cant go an entire offseason and netting 1 player of significance unless you're a primed team with no holes and player or 2 away, otherwise, you need to inject the team with talent every single offseason because everytime you miss, you just set the team further back.  And here we are, the worst this franchise has ever been.

That's not excusable.  I dont see how anyone could even begin to defend that level of incompetence.

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas clearly moved on from Robbie Anderson and Jamal Adams before he even began negotiating. One certainly doesn't have to be very competent to have the off-season Joe has had in 2020. Answer this question; So far who's the best player JD brought to the Jets who didn't fall (Mekhi Becton) in his lap? 

oh I agree.  I've been saying it all off-season.  As far as I'm concerned the only outstanding question right now is was that part of plan? or is he entirely inept?

Right now we simply don't know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bitonti said:

if we actually look at these free agent transactions without the green glasses some of them are friggin terrible

like really really bad 

Ryan Kalil 1 year 8 mil that was a JD special 

Kaare Vedvik cost them week 1 2019, not that it mattered much 

Ryan Griffin extension 29 years old going on a million 

Breshad "Milk Carton" Perriman - have you seen this child? 

the entire draft sans Becton ( who is now hurt) 

the fanbase hasn't gotten caught up to how far above his weight Joe Douglas is trying to punch 

 

 

JD fan boys will disagree with you. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I guess it was only a matter of time before some very impatient fans called JD a clown, lol. 

Here's the thing, no GM out there was going to make this team a contender overnight. You can thank Idzik and Mac for years of incompetency.

This! Thank you for making sense 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I want to wish it was #2 and in some ways, especially when you look at the short term contracts he handed out maybe he was thinking this way but the issue is, you cant take an entire offseason off.   Especially when you were already one of the worst Football teams in the NFL.  You cant go an entire offseason and netting 1 player of significance unless you're a primed team with no holes and player or 2 away, otherwise, you need to inject the team with talent every single offseason because everytime you miss, you just set the team further back.  And here we are, the worst this franchise has ever been.

That's not excusable.  I dont see how anyone could even begin to defend that level of incompetence.

 

He didn't really take it off...he traded for picks, cleared cap space and signed a bunch of one-year deals.

Now, a lot of ifs here but all reasonable -IF -

  1. We end up with Lawrence
  2. +3 first round picks in two years
  3. We'll have franchise LT in place
  4. A solid WR in Mims (we'll know soon enough about that)
  5. A ton of cap space in a year where the cap will be shrinking

Then it might all seem worth it.  It's something to work with.  Yes, he'll have to hit on picks but there's a clear future there.

Look, I'm not defending JD - just trying to understand how we got here - and hoping it was on purpose and not out of incompetence.  While it's likely the latter I'll hope for former.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD fan boys will disagree with you. 

do ya ever get the feeling like Max could pick a poster at random and that loser would do a better job? 

not even like me or you or someone with 40000 posts

just any random lurker or incontinent sports talk caller living in a basement would be better 

Ira from Staten Island would run this team better

i don't think that's hyperbole 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He didn't really take it off...he traded for picks, cleared cap space and signed a bunch of one-year deals.

Now, a lot of ifs here but all reasonable -IF -

  1. We end up with Lawrence
  2. +3 first round picks in two years
  3. We'll have franchise LT in place
  4. A solid WR in Mims (we'll know soon enough about that)
  5. A ton of cap space in a year where the cap will be shrinking

Then it might all seem worth it.  It's something to work with.  Yes, he'll have to hit on picks but there's a clear future there.

Look, I'm not defending JD - just trying to understand how we got here - and hoping it was on purpose and not out of incompetence.  While it's likely the latter I'll hope for former.

Meh, I give him credit for the haul he got for Jamal but he didnt want to do it.  Jamal forced him to but either way, we're better off for it.  

What I mean by taking the "offseason off" is, he didnt add any talent.  It's great Becton might be a long term solution at LT and I'm hopeful for Mims too but that's just hope.  As of right now, JD netted 1 positive, and he's injured and oh yeah, he let his dumbass staff play the kid when he was clearly not ready.  The bottom line is, his draft class isnt performing at all while all around the league teams are getting huge lift from rookie players. 

It's maddening. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, I give him credit for the haul he got for Jamal but he didnt want to do it.   

this is another key point

the same posters who hate Jamal, believe the team got a haul for him, don't miss him etc

are also the same jackboot authority types who would never approve of a player shooting his way out of town via social media

put it another way all JD proved was if you're good enough, and complain enough, he will trade you someplace nicer for picks 

that's not really a great precedent to set with your all pros 

you wouldn't run a 3rd grade classroom that way and it's no way to run a business 

what happens if Becton makes all pro and starts bashing the team year 3 because they don't pay him an extension? the dude is already kneeling through the anthem by the way 

this is the cycle we love these guys irrationally when they are on these terrible (for them) rookie deals (that they had no choice but to sign) 

the second they want market value we turn on these guys 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Joe Douglas clearly moved on from Robbie Anderson and Jamal Adams before he even began negotiating. One certainly doesn't have to be very competent to have the off-season Joe has had in 2020. Answer this question; So far who's the best player JD brought to the Jets who didn't fall (Mekhi Becton) in his lap? 

Most here wanted Wirfs, lol.  Some wanted Jeudy at 11.  Becton wasn't a "slam dunk" pick at all except for those who had a pretty good idea he'd be awesome.

And what trade package did you want for Adams, exactly?  Three 1st rounders?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is another key point

the same posters who hate Jamal, believe the team got a haul for him, don't miss him etc

are also the same jackboot authority types who would never approve of a player shooting his way out of town via social media

put it another way all JD proved was if you're good enough, and complain enough, he will trade you someplace nicer for picks 

that's not really a great precedent to set with your all pros 

you wouldn't run a 3rd grade classroom that way and it's no way to run a business 

what happens if Becton makes all pro and starts bashing the team year 3 because they don't pay him an extension? the dude is already kneeling through the anthem by the way 

this is the cycle we love these guys irrationally when they are on these terrible (for them) rookie deals (that they had no choice but to sign) 

the second they want market value we turn on these guys 

 

 

JN wants nice things but not if they want the Johnson's money.  Once the start asking for the trust fund babies money, they gotta go!!!  And heavens forbid the Jets spend to much of the Johnson's money for a particular player.  Oh boy.  

Not sure what the bold has do with the overall point but hell yeah!  Good for him! I like him even more now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wait, Becton "fell into his lap"? I do not remember unanimous consent that Becton had to be the Jets pick. 

Many here freaked out when that pick happened.  They called Becton "fat", "raw" or tried to compare him to other similarly-sized OL in the past who have failed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD is doing a rebuild, something we should have done a few years ago.  I said before the season started we'd be lucky to win 4 games this year.  I think I over rated the roster with that pick.  It all depends what JD does next year.  We should be able to attract a good coach with all the draft picks and cap money JD has accumulated.  The wild card is making sure we draft well with those picks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Most here wanted Wirfs, lol.  Some wanted Jeudy at 11.  Becton wasn't a "slam dunk" pick at all except for those who had a pretty good idea he'd be awesome.

And what trade package did you want for Adams, exactly?  Three 1st rounders?

I wanted Cee Dee Lamb he looks like a BEAST in Dallas. 

Becton was the safe pick and a need LT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Most here wanted Wirfs, lol.  Some wanted Jeudy at 11.  Becton wasn't a "slam dunk" pick at all except for those who had a pretty good idea he'd be awesome.

And what trade package did you want for Adams, exactly?  Three 1st rounders?

I never was one who pushed for trading Jamal. I used to think he was wrong for how he behaved, but now seeing this mess unfold in 2020 makes me want to say he made a good business decision. I would apologize to Robbie too. He's much better than I ever imagined. It's a GM's job to keep his good players and show the draft class that could be them being rewarded someday. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I never was one who pushed for trading Jamal. I used to think he was wrong for how he behaved, but now seeing this mess unfold in 2020 makes me want to say he made a good business decision. I would apologize to Robbie too. He's much better than I ever imagined. It's a GM's job to keep his good players and show the draft class that could be them being rewarded someday. 

Apologize to Robby?  He should be thanking the Jets!  He gets to play with Rhule and Bridgewater!

It's a GM's job to maximize the long-term future of the organization.  A big part of that was trading away the Box Safety who doesn't impact wins and losses.

Losing Anderson was unfortunate, yes.  The simple truth is he took less money and years to walk into a better situation.  Happy for him.  Laughable to whine about it as much as people are.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Wirfs has been good, plus locker room guy too. Lamb has been very good as well. 

I like Becton, I wanted him but part of the issue with large men like that is they're a little more injury prone.  Hopefully it wont be a career thingy with him but like I said, earlier, plenty of rookies are making significant impacts for their team while we're cant even get our draft class on the field and oh yeah, the talent level in front them are borderline NFL talents.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if we actually look at these free agent transactions without the green glasses some of them are friggin terrible

like really really bad 

Ryan Kalil 1 year 8 mil that was a JD special 

Kaare Vedvik cost them week 1 2019, not that it mattered much 

Ryan Griffin extension 29 years old going on a million 

Breshad "Milk Carton" Perriman - have you seen this child? 

the entire draft sans Becton ( who is now hurt) 

the fanbase hasn't gotten caught up to how far above his weight Joe Douglas is trying to punch 

 

 

Speaking of questionable picks, why haven't they trotted out Captain Morgan?  Flacco playing does absolutely squat for us.  He sucks.  I would rather see what we have unless...............JD doesn't want to embarrass himself ala...

christian hackenberg

deja vu all over again.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the fanbase hasn't gotten caught up to how far above his weight Joe Douglas is trying to punch

For posterity's sake I don't remember what your stance on JD coming in was.

From what I remember most of this Fan base was so infatuated with JD that they were all "Shiver me timbers and clutch my pearls, fan me vigorously Delilah I do believe I have been overtaken by the vapors."

Consensus GM Prospect we wanted at the time blah blah blah.

Seemed to pass the smell test to me.

Mentored by Ozzie... around winners etc. etc. etc.

 

Look, from my perspective I expect whatever we do in Jets land to fail. I give JD a 30% shot at success because ... C'mon look at this organization. 30% is generous.

However I find the turn on a dime overly emotional response by fans to what seems to be an intentional tear down almost as comical as our season so far. 

If you don't believe Sam is the guy which @FidelioJet seems to think is JD's position..   a position I could totally see being the reality..... then this is what a complete teardown looks like ... 

I just try to laugh at the flames and enjoy the show. I do miss the slapstick Comedy that was the Rex/Sanchez Jets when I compare it to the dark comedy that is the Gase/Darnold Jets though. I usually like a dark comedy but this level of 3 and out forever ineptitude is a bore. Give me some near competitive games dashed by pick 6's and butt fumbles.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

For posterity's sake I don't remember what your stance on JD coming in was.

From what I remember most of this Fan base was so infatuated with JD that they were all "Shiver me timbers and clutch my pearls, fan me vigorously Delilah I do believe I have been overtaken by the vapors."

Consensus GM Prospect we wanted at the time blah blah blah.

Seemed to pass the smell test to me.

Mentored by Ozzie... around winners etc. etc. etc.

 

Look, from my perspective I expect whatever we do in Jets land to fail. I give JD a 30% shot at success because ... C'mon look at this organization. 30% is generous.

However I find the turn on a dime overly emotional response by fans to what seems to be an intentional tear down almost as comical as our season so far. 

If you don't believe Sam is the guy which @FidelioJet seems to think is JD's position..   a position I could totally see being the reality..... then this is what a complete teardown looks like ... 

I just try to laugh at the flames and enjoy the show. I do miss the slapstick Comedy that was the Rex/Sanchez Jets when I compare it to the dark comedy that is the Gase/Darnold Jets though. I usually like a dark comedy but this level of 3 and out forever ineptitude is a bore. Give me some near competitive games dashed by pick 6's and butt fumbles.

Completely agree. 

And 30% is very generous given this organization's track record. Stating 30% tells me you think a lot of Douglas. As do I. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...