Albert Breer and other NFL news outlets: Keep an eye on Matt Campbell and Joe Brady, don’t expect Kubiak.

Mogglez

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our injured players don't have catastrophic injuries.  In fact, our rookies will likely all get some experience this year. 

So to use injuries as part of your argument that "we would've won the division this year but now we're going to need 3 years" makes absolutely no sense.  I'll concede Mosley and Jamal as "unexpected" but I won't accept that they were that big of a difference.

If you want to admit you were wrong in your evaluations of GW and Sam, though, then maybe it's time for you to also admit that you were wrong about Gase.

I just want to let Adam have the full season to show us what he's capable of, that's all.  So long as our starting offense gets playing time together as a group I'm satisfied.  Let him impress me or let him suck.  I refuse to jump to conclusions at this time.  Gase is an incomplete.  The roster has been that bad since he got here.

What Gase has shown me is resiliency and creativity when faced with a challenge.  He has shown good judgment regarding Maccagnan and Bell.  He's kept the locker room together.  The offense is playing hard, it's not lack of effort that's causing the losing.  He's not responsible for Darnold's regression, its possible Darnold is just fine and is suffering from the same lack of talent around him as Gase is.

Gregg Williams, different story.  One of the only DC's in the NFL given complete autonomy and they look like sh-t.  Lots of high picks on that side of the ball doing absolutely nothing but collecting a paycheck.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

You're opinion on this one is too moronic to be real. Nobody, and I mean nobodyI, actually believes Gase is a good Head coach,
I don't care what our W-L standings are. This team is--
  • Poorly motivated
  • Poorly coached
  • Poorly Managed
  • Poorly Represented
  • Poorly Performing
Be a better fan, and stop this charade. 

I already blocked him, but now I see his posts when you quote him, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You're opinion on this one is too moronic to be real. Nobody, and I mean nobodyI, actually believes Gase is a good Head coach,

I don't care what our W-L standings are. This team is--

• Poorly motivated
  • Poorly coached
  • Poorly Managed
  • Poorly Represented
  • Poorly Performing

Be a better fan, and stop this charade. 

Sorry, perhaps its moronic, perhaps its not, I don't think Adam Gase has gotten a fair shake in the year he's been here and I don't think we can jump to conclusions because the starting roster game after game has been that bad.

If at the end of the year we've had a stretch of games where all our offensive starters are back and we still look like sh-t I'll be the first to buy a t-shirt and donate to the plane.  Until then, nothing has changed to bring anyone to the conclusion that Gase has to go. 

Yes, we're all frustrated with the franchise but picking on the head coach as if he's the reason for our troubles and acting like replacing him is going to lead to a plethora of wins is what's moronic.  The problem is a decade of bad GM performance.  Any head coach would be failing here right now.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

So as you can see below,  5 days prior to the season,  you were saying the Jets were the best team in the division.  This is post Mosley opt out post Jamal trade. The rookies you mention were already either out for game 1 or on IR already. Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith and Onwusar were already on IR. So the excuses you keep spitting out are nothing more than lies. It's pathetic and your shtick is pathetic. 

Yes, I underestimated the Bills.

SAR I

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sorry, perhaps its moronic, perhaps its not, I don't think Adam Gase has gotten a fair shake in the year he's been here and I don't think we can jump to conclusions because the starting roster game after game has been that bad.

pathetic. 

no where is anyone holding our roster against him... this is not a well coached team. the games aren't well managed. The plays aren't well called. The players aren't inspired.

You and Adam deserve each other. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Seems like you didn't predict anything accurately this year.  

Overwhelming injuries, regressing defense, regressing quarterback, I just didn't see it coming.  I felt very optimistic after the end of last season and thought the injury bug couldn't possibly happen to that degree again.

The season's not over.  Still time for injuries to heal, coaches to coach, and a quarterback to find his game.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

pathetic. 

no where is anyone holding our roster against him... this is not a well coached team. the games aren't well managed. The plays aren't well called. The players aren't inspired.

You and Adam deserve each other. 

You are right about the defense-  that group is poorly coached, undisciplined, sloppy, missing tackles, giving up huge chunk plays, taking ridiculous penalties, and uninspired.  Gregg Williams getting thrown to the curb this very day might actually improve things because the players might actually respond to someone else.  This has been Williams MO everywhere he's been.  He comes on like fire and by the second year the players tune him out.

On offense, nope.  Most times 7/11ths of that squad shouldn't be in the NFL, backups and scrubs, castoffs and roster filler, playing out of position, new to the team, no talent.  Berrios and Smith and [Random Name Here] are playing hard, they're trying to make it in this league, they just can't.  It's not coaching.  We have no wide receivers.  We have a slot receiver, a very good one.  But all over the league burners and big physical guys are making great plays, winning 50/50 balls, turning games around with massive plays.  We haven't had gamebreakers like that since Santonio Holmes, perhaps the Marshall/Decker year.  Shutting down our O is the easiest DC assignment in the NFL.  Nothing to do with Gase.  Everything to do with no players.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

My best hope is that the Jets hire a Head Football Coach who allows the coordinators to do their job and spends his time making sure the coaches have what they need to do their job well, the team is motivated, the overall game plans are sound and the in-game decisions are both smart and daring.

The problem with coaching is that these high end coordinators, many of whom are not HC material, demand to be a HC to get access to their one-sided brains. It's like the difference between a Restaurant ran by someone in the restaurant businessman or instead by a great Chef. With the restaurant businessman, he can hire a Chef, Front House Manager, etc.. and make changes if needed (i.e. hire and fire). With the great Chef you get access to his brain for food and menu, but if you let him run the whole restaurant, who the hell knows if he has the chops for that, and then if his menu becomes old and tired, you can't just get a new Chef, you need to change everything.

So, let's stay away from the brilliant O and D minds and just hire us a Head Football Coach this time around. Chef Gase's food is making me ill.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You are right about the defense-  that group is poorly coached, undisciplined, sloppy, missing tackles, giving up huge chunk plays, taking ridiculous penalties, and uninspired.  Gregg Williams getting thrown to the curb this very day might actually improve things because the players might actually respond to someone else.  This has been Williams MO everywhere he's been.  He comes on like fire and by the second year the players tune him out.

On offense, nope.  Most times 7/11ths of that squad shouldn't be in the NFL, backups and scrubs, castoffs and roster filler, playing out of position, new to the team, no talent.  Berrios and Smith and [Random Name Here] are playing hard, they're trying to make it in this league, they just can't.  It's not coaching.  We have no wide receivers.  We have a slot receiver, a very good one.  But all over the league burners and big physical guys are making great plays, winning 50/50 balls, turning games around with massive plays.  We haven't had gamebreakers like that since Santonio Holmes, perhaps the Marshall/Decker year.  Shutting down our O is the easiest DC assignment in the NFL.  Nothing to do with Gase.  Everything to do with no players.

SAR I

yea. sure thing buddy. That's why we ran a fcking TE at fullback on 3rd and 1... that's why Adam's looking at giving up play calling. 

Get the fck atta here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

No you should be smart enough throw in the towel on this juvenile game you’re playing. It’s insulting to what shred of dignity this jersey has left. Grow up. 

The only way to respond to SORE I is to ridicule him.  Do not attempt to present a logical argument or question.

His statements are idiotic and each one contradicts the previous one and when called out he lies.

SORE I

For example, he actually blamed the LOSS to the Bills last year on Fireman Ed!  

He lauded the Jets for having the best relocation packages in the league!  (Which leads me to believe he works for the team.  Probably an intern).

He claimed Chris Johnson actually made the free agent signings and conducted the 2019 draft!

Don’t take anything he says seriously.  All he deserves is ridicule.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I just want to let Adam have the full season to show us what he's capable of, that's all.  So long as our starting offense gets playing time together as a group I'm satisfied.  Let him impress me or let him suck.  I refuse to jump to conclusions at this time.  Gase is an incomplete.  The roster has been that bad since he got here.

What Gase has shown me is resiliency and creativity when faced with a challenge.  He has shown good judgment regarding Maccagnan and Bell.  He's kept the locker room together.  The offense is playing hard, it's not lack of effort that's causing the losing.  He's not responsible for Darnold's regression, its possible Darnold is just fine and is suffering from the same lack of talent around him as Gase is.

Gregg Williams, different story.  One of the only DC's in the NFL given complete autonomy and they look like sh-t.  Lots of high picks on that side of the ball doing absolutely nothing but collecting a paycheck.

SAR I

I want to let “Adam” have...  ?

Priceless!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Overwhelming injuries, regressing defense, regressing quarterback, I just didn't see it coming.

Obviously.  

I felt very optimistic after the end of last season and thought the injury bug couldn't possibly happen to that degree again.

I have no idea why you would think that, given Gase's history of excessive injuries to his rosters.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Gase's teams were riddled with injuries every year in Miami.  Now both of his teams have been riddled with injuries here.

It's not happenstance, and it's not coincidence.

The season's not over.  Still time for injuries to heal, coaches to coach, and a quarterback to find his game.

Gase will be fired.  Troll on if you must, but he will be fired.  Rightfully so, his resume is horrific as an NFL head Coach.

Your dream is dead, if it was ever anything more than the trolling I believe it was...

• Sympathy 1

Money attracts talent.

There is no logical reason why a college coach should take less money to coach in the NFL.  

The fact that colleges can actually pay coaches that much money is actually absurd.  Colleges are non-for-profit institutions of higher learning.  The NFL is a multi-billion dollar sports and entertainment business.  

But the owners spend their own money, and colleges spend the tax payers or endowments.  Most of the big money coaching jobs are for public universities.  So there goes that. 

I think, in the future, it will be harder, not easier, for colleges to pay big money for coaches.  That is what Matt Campbell is thinking.  I think Rhule concluded that there would not be a big money college job for him, and that maybe he did not need the recruiting and the rules.  

The Johnsons got a rude awakening when they had to guarantee JD over $20mm.  They were expecting half that.  They will need to pay the next coach alot more money.

The Jets will need to improve in steps.   First step is to become functional.   If the Jets really want to take the next step, they will need to pay someone Gruden money, like the Raiders did.   The best candidate for that is Harbaugh.  My prediction is that they go with more of the same-Roman, Daboll.  Maybe O'Brien.  They need to demonstrate competence.  Then maybe the Jets can hire someone transformational once they proof to the NFL that they are competent.

The Bills show that there is hope.  The Pegulas were a joke.  They hired the Jets' leftovers and did the same type of meddling.  They appeared to have cleaned up their act and now own one of the NFL's best teams.    The Jets are now at least 3 years behind them.  

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

Money attracts talent.

There is no logical reason why a college coach should take less money to coach in the NFL.  

The fact that colleges can actually pay coaches that much money is actually absurd.  Colleges are non-for-profit institutions of higher learning.  The NFL is a multi-billion dollar sports and entertainment business.  

But the owners spend their own money, and colleges spend the tax payers or endowments.  Most of the big money coaching jobs are for public universities.  So there goes that. 

I think, in the future, it will be harder, not easier, for colleges to pay big money for coaches.  That is what Matt Campbell is thinking.  I think Rhule concluded that there would not be a big money college job for him, and that maybe he did not need the recruiting and the rules.  

The Johnsons got a rude awakening when they had to guarantee JD over $20mm.  They were expecting half that.  They will need to pay the next coach alot more money.

The Jets will need to improve in steps.   First step is to become functional.   If the Jets really want to take the next step, they will need to pay someone Gruden money, like the Raiders did.   The best candidate for that is Harbaugh.  My prediction is that they go with more of the same-Roman, Daboll.  Maybe O'Brien.  They need to demonstrate competence.  Then maybe the Jets can hire someone transformational once they proof to the NFL that they are competent.

The Bills show that there is hope.  The Pegulas were a joke.  They hired the Jets' leftovers and did the same type of meddling.  They appeared to have cleaned up their act and now own one of the NFL's best teams.    The Jets are now at least 3 years behind them.  

The best college jobs are way better than NFL jobs if you don't mind recruiting. Similar salary, more control, less work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I don't really care if Gase gets the rest of this year (depending on what the locker room is like).  Yes the roster is incomplete and I wish we were healthy.  And I still think there's a difference between a HC not being able to lift up a bad (or, in this case, terrible) team as opposed to coaching a good team.  Realistically Gase's days are numbered though (hopefully the latest he's still employed here is the day the season ends).

I still don't get why you've praised Gase as a great overall HC when you think GW has full autonomy over the defense.  (And if you thought that way, then why did you give Gase credit for the 6-2 finish last year???)  Now you're grading Gase "incomplete" due to crazy circumstances.  Yet you blame a 23 year old QB whose only NFL experience has been with this absolute clusterf-ck of a franchise.  Has he made mistakes?  Of course.  But it was also Gase's #1 priority to develop him (which would lead to team success).

Gase failed to lift a crappy team (despite having experience in several other NFL organizations, including a successful one in Denver).

Gase failed to develop Darnold.

Gase had no interest in using his best weapon (Le'veon Bell).

Gase doesn't even have the team anywhere close to competing.  6 games where we've lost by 20+ points?!  11 double-digit losses in 21 games?!

To me, the Adam Gase error will be defined by the sentence "There's not a lot of good plays on 4th and 7".  

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah.   I mean they have so much success compared to Iowa and Campbell has never beaten Iowa in his tenure.  I'm just seething with rage so much I am trying to knock him down a few pegs to fans who aren't associated with either program. 

Or it's possible I know considerably more about him and his program than most do here, and I just don't see the transcendent coaching prospect. 

I wasn't criticizing you bc I know nothing about him.  It's just funny

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If at the end of the year we've had a stretch of games where all our offensive starters are back and we still look like sh-t I'll be the first to buy a t-shirt and donate to the plane.  Until then, nothing has changed to bring anyone to the conclusion that Gase has to go. 

Yes, we're all frustrated with the franchise but picking on the head coach as if he's the reason for our troubles and acting like replacing him is going to lead to a plethora of wins is what's moronic.  The problem is a decade of bad GM performance.  Any head coach would be failing here right now.

SAR I

SAR....if Gase had a track record of success a a HC before he came here, this would be an argument you could defend. He was basically Bowles, good 1st year, and got worse. He showed no ability to adjust his game to his talent, nor to develop players. He was exactly the wrong hire for this team in its current state. Players look at a coach to have answers, to make things better, to adjust. They believe in his history of being able to talk the talk and walk the walk.Gase  provides none of these things. He is severely below average as a HC. You want to absolve Gase and throw the blame on CJ for being such the idiot that he actually thought Gase could lead this team to any sort of success, you would have support . But continuing to defend a guy that looks way more lost than the Skipper and Gilligan ever did, is crazy. You always criticize SOJF....Gase is a SOJC......Same Old Jets Coach, somebody in over their head who has no answers after the 2nd chapter of a novel.

All the speculation about who the next coach should be is fun, but not productive.

The interesting question is where Joe Douglas fits into all this.

The Johnson's decision to have the coach report to the owner instead of the GM is nuts.  Will this change?

Entering the season, the read on JD was pretty positive.  However, this roster has seriously under-performed expectations.  Does that undercut JD's position within the franchise and in the broader NFL community?  If the answer to that is "no", then the Jets will be in good position to hire a new HC.

Following on, the Jets HC position is far more attractive than assumed.  Again, assuming JD is the right gm and in charge, the Jets have a strong position for building their for 2021 and especially 2022.  For 2021,they are likely to have the #1 pick.  They have 2 Round 1's, 1 Round 2's, 2 Round 3's and 5 additional picks.  In 2022, they sit with 2 Round 1's.

With the #1 pick, they can select Trevor Lawrence if they believe he is a "generational" qb or trade the pick.  One assumes that would net them more than the "value" of 3 Round 2 picks (since the Jets moved up to the #2).  With the trade, the Jets would add 12-13 players selected in the first 3 rounds over the next two years.

Added to that, the Jets salary cap positioning is among the best in the league.

Of course, we have to assume/hope/pray that JD is what we expect.  Not easy being a Jets fan.  He has to be our new Bill Parcels--only younger.

But if the JD part is real, I think we will be beating good coaches off with a stick.

4 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Can anybody give me a general scouting report on Campbell?  I don't know much about him.  Just that Big 12 fans really respect him.

Campbell and Brady represent the two types of coaches that a team can hire - a coordinator who gets elevated to HC and a HC who won't be responsible for calling plays on either side of the ball.

Brady is an excellent coordinator and has Sean McVey type upside as a play caller, however not only is he very young but he also calls the plays from the booth, not the sideline so he would need to adjust to being on the sideline.  He could even do what McVey did and hire wade phillips to handle the defense entirely on his own. The upside with someone like this is that the offense will have continuity even if the team has success as the HC has a huge impact on the play design and calling.

Campbell was an OC for one season at Toledo before becoming the HC and (to my knowledge) didnt call plays as the Toledo HC or at Iowa State.  His OC is Tom Manning who was also the Toledo OC and who has 1 year of NFL experience with the Colts as TE coach.  Id imagine he would bring Manning with him but ISU could also try to keep Manning as the HC if Campbell were to leave.  The issue with a guy like Campbell is that the coordinators become ever more important and you need to groom coaches in the event coordinators have success and get hired away. Mike Vrabel for example has been very fortunate to have Matt LaFleur as his OC and then when he left Arthur Smith kept continuity in the system.

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

F30BF212-88DB-4862-9E72-FC8A94A8B337.jpeg.757b90b11474f4820c7459935e5f5c62.jpeg

1BF5133F-80FB-42AA-9571-CC9B94B016B4.jpeg.442770c5dd527e6c9d0c3a4c1498a0f6.jpeg

uStadium is a very large Twitter presence and has broken news before.  Albert Breer is also very well connected.

I’d be thrilled with either guy.

Agreed. They broke the news that we were talking to the Colts about the 3rd overall pick in 18’.  Joe Brady would be risky but I’m almost insane enough to want it

20 hours ago, Icer said:

Matt Campbell turned us down for an interview a few years ago I thought? It must be a JD connection if he is being floated around as a possible candidate.

Joe Brady is a shot at the Sean Mcvay Kyle Shanahan mold, I'd be really happy with that bold choice but that's not the Johnsons MO

Jetsy-est thing ever: lose out on Rhule because you want to dictate who his assistants are, hire Gase and have him ruin Sam, then hire Rhules assistants to replace Gase.

If I’m an aspiring coach, I’m not sure there’s enough money you could pay me to take the Jets job.