Honest Question: Would YOU be a better HC than Gase?

jgb

Would you, a jagoff fan be better than this schlub?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make a better HC than Gase?

• Absolutely, I'd delegate the technical aspects to good coaches beneath me and definitely make better in-game calls
    • No, it's a lot harder than it looks.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

HC? no..  I mean maybe? lol... i would give my OC and DC complete control of running their units and work managing the game - but i don't know how to make 6'5 300lb men who grew up in areas of the country I can't begin to pretend i understand - who make millions- energized. I don't have that kind of experience.

What i could do - is run laps around our last 2 GMs 

Agreed.  I’m not sure if people realize how complicated these offenses and defenses are, and how quickly you need to make decisions.   For regular Joes to think they could walk onto a sideline and be an NFL head coach is laughable.  99% couldn’t call a high school game.   What’s next?  The thread about how some of these obese middle aged posters think they can play QB as well?  

• Upvote 4

Armed with hindsight, I would go back and eliminate all the plays that failed and only use the ones that worked.  I would tell the press that I take full responsibility for the loss but I have an iron clad contract and don't give a sh*t what you or anyone else thinks.  I'm rich bitch.  

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

You'd be surprised how often it'd work.

And a surprisingly effective defensive play? Kick Return Middle.

I love special teams.

Not sure if you’re joking, but I used kick return “man” on anything over 3rd & 8 a bunch of times and it worked great.

Also, if the ball was on the two yard line or less in my own goal and I thought it was going to be a run, I always chose FG block as my defense. Can’t tell you how awesome that play is. FG block “man” was the play when I thought they might try to sneak a pass in.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

Not sure if you’re joking, but I used kick return “man” on anything over 3rd & 8 a bunch of times and it worked great.

Also, if the ball was on the two yard line or less in my own goal and I thought it was going to be a run, I always chose FG block as my defense. Can’t tell you how awesome that play is. FG block “man” was the play when I thought they might try to sneak a pass in.

That is coaching where football is going. When can you start?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Almost everyone here couldn’t organize a practice.   FOH with this thinking.   

I mean, this.

Gase sucks but the majority of the posters here wouldn’t even know the first thing about coaching an NFL team, would command zero respect, know nothing about technique, game planning, organizing practices, watching film, etc. The only argument is that they’d let other people do the work and wouldn’t **** it up which isn’t much of an argument at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Good question.  The answer is YES and NO. 

Just from HS football if you ever played. you know there is a lot involved.  Not just the leadership and organization, but the nomenclature of the offense and of course the defense.  There is a lot there.  Alignment, assignment,  and much much more.  Communicating with assistants, players, support people.  Lots and lots of moving parts. If you have been around more than one coach, you also know that each one has his own way of organizing everything and dealing with people.  It is a highly specialized job ! Think about it this way... If you opened a text book on calculus in the middle of it and tried to dig into things, you would not have a chance in hell.  However, if you started first with arithmetic (easy for everyone) and then went on to algebra (easy for most) and then on to pre calculus (more challenging, but most can do it) and then full blown calculus, (those that have the drive and need to get to that level can do it)... Well... Then you can do calculus.  Same deal with being a football coach at the professional level.  You need to start at the very beginning and build your knowledge until you are all the way up to the point where you know all the elements and can start cooking up some of your own dishes.  And that does NOT even cover your leadership style and interpersonal relationship skills.  

So... Yes... I have the aptitude and other skills needed to learn all that is needed, but... Not the massive experience or background needed.  

Gase has experience and all the accumulated knowledge that we don't have and would need to be a HC but at the same time, he has obvious limitations.  To me, it looks like Gase can hum along with the tune, but he really doesn't know the music.  

• Upvote 1

I am not qualified to be a head coach of any football team on any level.  Neither is Adam Gase.  The difference is that I have no delusions.

I believe I would have done a better job than Mike Maccagnan as GM.  Not because I have any qualifications.  Just because it would be impossible to be worse.

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No, I wasn't joking. ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, this.

Gase sucks but the majority of the posters here wouldn’t even know the first thing about coaching an NFL team, would command zero respect, know nothing about technique, game planning, organizing practices, watching film, etc. The only argument is that they’d let other people do the work and wouldn’t **** it up which isn’t much of an argument at all.

Right. Unless there are NFL or college coaches hanging out here, none of us would be effective coaches. I guess all of us could be tied with no wins so there's that. 

Even if you think you would be better at playcalling the players wouldn't respect some rando and your coaching staff would be empty because nobody would want to come work for "guy who calls fake punts on first down on madden so why not" so your team would fall apart pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

JN jackoffs think they can HC a pro sports team, of course!!!

No... the question is whether you'd do better than one of the crappiest HCs of all time. Honestly just shutting up and being a figurehead that lets your coordinators do their thing would be an improvement.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

No... the question is whether you'd do better than one of the crappiest HCs of all time. Honestly just shutting up and being a figurehead that lets your coordinators do their thing would be an improvement.

that'sbased on your experience coaching?i thought not.

we all know fans are arrogantarseholes. me? a humble arsehole. 

"According to ESPN, early in his career, somewhere around his second year with the Packers, Favre leaned over to the back-up quarterback, Ty Detmer during a team meeting and said, “Ty, I gotta ask you a question … What's nickel defense?” Detmer was stunned. ... So Detmer explained it to him"

It's amazing how far you can get in the NFL without knowing football basics if you have other qualities like leadership.

Favre didn't know what a nickel defense was two years into his NFL career but, he could scramble, escape pressure and throw a football like few others could.
Just as important, his teammates loved him and would march through a brick wall for him.

I'm guessing Gase knows football schematics a lot better than Favre did but has no clue how to communicate or inspire professional athletes. Some people have it, many don't.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

literally forgot what i voted for but my answer is simple.  i've never coached football, i played it until my soph year of HS.  i don't claim to know how it all works.  i don't think i'd know where to start, how to call out protections, read defenses, practice planning, play design, player evaluation, etc.  the intricacies of the position will be lost on me and i'd assume the majority of us as well unless we've coached the sport before.  don't take this as an endorsement for gase at all, i think the dude is horrible at his job but i don't think i'd do better.

• Haha 1

Just now, heymangold said:

literally forgot what i voted for but my answer is simple.  i've never coached football, i played it until my soph year of HS.  i don't claim to know how it all works.  i don't think i'd know where to start, how to call out protections, read defenses, practice planning, play design, player evaluation, etc.  the intricacies of the position will be lost on me and i'd assume the majority of us as well unless we've coached the sport before.  don't take this as an endorsement for gase at all, i think the dude is horrible at his job but i don't think i'd do better.

I'm sold. Report to One Jets Drive tomorrow 8am.

• Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think I would be because I wouldn’t run the ball up the gut on 2nd and a country mile.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, it is a lot easier to be a GM than a coach for the average fan.

The fact that the avg fan could not be a coach doesn't mean gase does not stink badly.

I'd let Darnold audible everything. Done. Better coach.

• Upvote 2