Honest Question: Would YOU be a better HC than Gase?

jgb

Would you, a jagoff fan be better than this schlub?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make a better HC than Gase?

• Absolutely, I'd delegate the technical aspects to good coaches beneath me and definitely make better in-game calls
    • No, it's a lot harder than it looks.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I already did.   99% on this board wouldn't even know how to coordinate a practice, let alone the X and O stuff.    That includes me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I have no clue what I voted. I would have got into a fight with Joe Douglas over some of the moves on the oline and replacing Robbie Anderson; I probably would have been fired before the start of the season. What bothers me about Adam Gase is as much off the field as it is play calling between the lines. As a coach I would look directly in the camera during press conferences. I would communicate directly and look directly as I spoke to the players not watching flying tacos overhead.

Leadership...inspiring players, it's important. I don't think Gase has that, he's a football nerd but that's it.

I don't pretend to know a fraction of what Adam Gase knows about football... he simply cannot lead men. I know people better than Adam Gase.

What would an idiot no-nothing football fan like myself do with a clipboard and a whistle?
The line can't protect him, only Danny Boy Jones is the only QB getting hit more than Sam Darnold. I would have Sam roll out the pocket and keep him on the move.  I understand the dangers of a running QB but he is getting killed in the pocket waiting for our MASH unit wide receivers to gain separation from the IR.

I'd incorporate presnap motions. We're too one dimensional and predictable because we have crap football players hence limiting what our genius coaching staff can do.

Given we had so many wide receivers on IR for the first half of the season and Le’Veon Bell was ineffective as a running back, I would have used Bell almost exclusively as a pass catcher, lining him up everywhere.

Since our tight ends can't catch while our O linemen and rookie running back can't block, I would have the tight ends blocking the crap out of everything.

Trick plays can only do so much for a lousy football team but how about running a reverse, laterals, flea flicker, a fake field goal, the old Dan Marino fake spike, fake punt... with nothing to loose  why not have at least one trick play every week . If nothing else it would entertain us in this race-for-Lawrence season.

On defense with no viable cornerback and a threadbare roster I would not even attempt to improve on what Greg Williams is doing with a bunch of NFL imposters.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I don't have one. I will say that I doubt Adam Gase could make a buche noel or semolina rolls:

@The Crusher

43385819_265257837666808_3794676014766125162_n.jpg

69642074_375314973411975_5547580038295632049_n(1).jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Beaver said:

I already did.   99% on this board wouldn't even know how to coordinate a practice, let alone the X and O stuff.    That includes me.

That's what coordinators are for. Doing nothing and delegating everything but making better choices on basic things such as "hey OC, throw the ball this time" and "let's go for it on 4th down here" would be better than Gase.

• Upvote 1

I'd call slants. HB screens. WR screens. Play action passes. Out routes. In routes. Fly routes. Button hooks. Corner routes. TE seam routes. Etc. And my running plays wouldn't only consist of "RB Dives". 

Not only would I keep opposing defenses off balance but I'd act like a JETS FAN on the sidelines. You'd see me running up and down the sidelines like a lunatic celebrating a big play once in a while. 

My only problem would be on 4th downs. I never liked punting growing up playing Madden. It could be 4th and 22. That would worry me as an NFL HC. 

I would say NO just to be honest. But then I look @ our 0-9 record and ask myself, how could I possibly do any worse? 

One thing is for sure outside of a better balance of playcalling; I'd show fire on the sidelines. I'd encourage my players. I'd act like I cared and gave a damn. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If you answered no, then you're not allowed to post on the forum anymore lol... Just kidding. I know a lot of us have opinions, but not everyone is coach material. However after reading a lot of posts over the years, I believe there are a lot of us posters on this board that could be better HC's than AG.

I coached 9,10,11 yr olds for 3 years and we only won 4-5 games in that time.  So YES. Yes I would be a better HC. lol 

Joking aside, I think being a HC in the NFL is obviously a very hard gig. It takes a special type of person. Gase is not that person imo. I wanted him to be. But not hiring a QB coach or real OC is where it all went downhill. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I would absolutely be a better head coach.  A head coach needs to be able to delegate and put the best people in the right places for success.  I would listen to my coaches and encourage my players to give me feedback on what is working and what's not.  

I would have others run the offense and the defense, and manage the team the way a head coach is supposed to.  I would hold coaches and players accountable, and fire and cut players who are not living up to the standards that I set.

@GREENBEAN  I did the same thing and there's a few things I'd like to add.

There is a huge humongous difference between being a positional coach, an OC or a DC and a Head Coach.

I've brought this up in the past in a few threads about what the head coach's job actually entails. Let's start at about 18 hours a day. It's about so much more than x's and o's.

Not getting into politics but I will liken it to becoming the president of the United States. Did you ever notice how quickly the president ages? That's because their job is the deal with everything going wrong behind the scenes and all the BS, and then they have to come talk to the media and say everything's going to be fine LMFAO!

This is why I stuck it out for Gase for so long, and let me also add that the constant critiquing from the media and the fans flying planes can't help. The amount of pressure and stress must be like living hell.

It was hard enough coaching kids just trying to get everybody to show up and pay attention. I had one kid that didn't want to be there he was one of the twins, he would line up and as soon as we would hike the ball he would just lay down on his back LOL.

Definitely a ridiculously hard gig and I would say about 90% of the HC's job has nothing to do with coaching football. It has more to do with press conferences, menu planning, talkin to trainers, deciding specific weights for players, hiring and firing talking to the GM about the practice squad, game planning, watching film, and probably about another thousand problems a day coming across your desk. You're dealing with everything wrong and trying to make it right.

If you can delegate to the right guys it becomes a full functional well-oiled machine. Finding the right guys is a task in itself.

Just for s**** and giggles go look up the executives on the Jets official website. How many people are actually involved with the Daily Business. I think I counted nine presidents and 18 vice presidents?

This is why whenever the head coach answers a question at a press conference he says he has to look at the tape, he has to talk to the trainers, he'll get together with the GM and discuss the move Etc.

I made this analogy the other day. When you go see Van Halen live you do realize that they didn't kind of carry their own amps in there and set up. They roll with about 15 big rig 18 wheelers full of equipment. The construction got crew, the stage crew, the guitar text, the soundboard guys, the lighting crew, the road manager Etc. It takes hundreds of people to perform in one town for one night.

Same Difference!

This is why you can't just say it's Sam Darnold or Adam Gase

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I would bring the never punt and always go for 2 attack into the NFL and become a legend 

I'm surprised the "always go for 2" day hasn't happened yet.  I do think there will be a coach who tries this.  And I wouldn't be shocked if a good # of teams adopted it.

22 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm surprised the "always go for 2" day hasn't happened yet.  I do think there will be a coach who tries this.  And I wouldn't be shocked if a good # of teams adopted it.

..i'm kinda surprised seattle hasn't    :eusa_shifty:

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

On 10/12/2020 at 11:44 PM, jgb said:

I honestly think most of us would be better. It's sad but completely true.  Plus bonus points, I make eye contact when I talk to people.

u make  " eye contact " ? ! ? !..

970362_10200774628642062_2117422949_n.jp

... me too !     :ahhh: 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, EM31 said:

In terms of the OP question.  How is it measured?  Better/worse/same than 0-9?

I would leave the current coordinators in place, give the DC nominal in-game decision making power and then dare anyone to prove I am worse.

Yep just delegating everything and not being such a wuss in decisions such as “punt or go for it” and it’s an immediate improvement. Plus you could force younger guys into game

On 11/14/2020 at 9:19 AM, Greenbloodblitz said:

@GREENBEAN  I did the same thing and there's a few things I'd like to add.

There is a huge humongous difference between being a positional coach, an OC or a DC and a Head Coach.

I've brought this up in the past in a few threads about what the head coach's job actually entails. Let's start at about 18 hours a day. It's about so much more than x's and o's.

Not getting into politics but I will liken it to becoming the president of the United States. Did you ever notice how quickly the president ages? That's because their job is the deal with everything going wrong behind the scenes and all the BS, and then they have to come talk to the media and say everything's going to be fine LMFAO!

This is why I stuck it out for Gase for so long, and let me also add that the constant critiquing from the media and the fans flying planes can't help. The amount of pressure and stress must be like living hell.

It was hard enough coaching kids just trying to get everybody to show up and pay attention. I had one kid that didn't want to be there he was one of the twins, he would line up and as soon as we would hike the ball he would just lay down on his back LOL.

Definitely a ridiculously hard gig and I would say about 90% of the HC's job has nothing to do with coaching football. It has more to do with press conferences, menu planning, talkin to trainers, deciding specific weights for players, hiring and firing talking to the GM about the practice squad, game planning, watching film, and probably about another thousand problems a day coming across your desk. You're dealing with everything wrong and trying to make it right.

If you can delegate to the right guys it becomes a full functional well-oiled machine. Finding the right guys is a task in itself.

Just for s**** and giggles go look up the executives on the Jets official website. How many people are actually involved with the Daily Business. I think I counted nine presidents and 18 vice presidents?

This is why whenever the head coach answers a question at a press conference he says he has to look at the tape, he has to talk to the trainers, he'll get together with the GM and discuss the move Etc.

I made this analogy the other day. When you go see Van Halen live you do realize that they didn't kind of carry their own amps in there and set up. They roll with about 15 big rig 18 wheelers full of equipment. The construction got crew, the stage crew, the guitar text, the soundboard guys, the lighting crew, the road manager Etc. It takes hundreds of people to perform in one town for one night.

Same Difference!

This is why you can't just say it's Sam Darnold or Adam Gase

SO which one of the 18 VP's, roadies and ball boys chose not to hire a QB coach or serviceable Offensive Coordinator?  Thats the guy who we should have a problem with. 

I agree that a HC is someone with a million things on their plate. Which is why I dislike when a HC chooses to run their particular unit on the field on top of it all. It takes a special breed to do that.  Like a HC being the GM. I like John Harbaugh. Myriad coordinators and position coaches come and go, btu the Ravens essentially stay the same organizationally. He's a real HC. 

When a HC decides not to hire position coaches it insinuates that he will assume that responsibility as well.  The ultimate goal is football. Just like for Van Halen it's music. If the music sucks. none of those people have jobs. so that's the most important thing. Our product sucks. Who's the problem? 

While I think Adam Gase is not a good head coach, I am under NO delusion thinking I am more capable when I only played the game for fun and do not understand all the intricacies needed to coach at a professional level. 

And my guess is most people voting yes, unless there are some current or former high school/collegiate coaches on this website, are in fact suffering from delusion. 

46 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

While I think Adam Gase is not a good head coach, I am under NO delusion thinking I am more capable when I only played the game for fun and do not understand all the intricacies needed to coach at a professional level. 

And my guess is most people voting yes, unless there are some current or former high school/collegiate coaches on this website, are in fact suffering from delusion. 

It's a trick question. Gase is destructive. Ask Tannehill, Devante Parker, Mike Gesicki, Kenyan Drake, etc. All you have to do is tell your coordinators to handle everything and sleep in your office. Better. 

Gase doesn't know what he doesn't know. That makes him the worst possible person for the job.