After 17 months on the job what grade would you give Joe Douglas?

What grade would you give GM Joe Douglas?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give GM Joe Douglas?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Becton is going to be a stud.  Mims we have no idea but I still like him.  Davis is looking like a whiff.  

everyone is piling on JD for not resigning Robby.  Unfortunately no one knows exactly what went wrong with the negotiations.  

Another misstep was not signing Logan Ryan to a one year deal and waiting way too long to trade Adams.  That led us to drafting Davis over another WR like Dunvernay

• Upvote 4

By the way ashtyn davis had an interception called back by offside penalty last week

He's coming. Zuniga was a whiff

Becton is going to be a stud.  Mims we have no idea but I still like him.  Davis is looking like a whiff.  

everyone is piling on JD for not resigning Robby.  Unfortunately no one knows exactly what went wrong with the negotiations.  

Another misstep was not signing Logan Ryan to a one year deal and waiting way too long to trade Adams.  That led us to drafting Davis over another WR like Dunvernay

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

I gave him a C because he isn’t big Macc but he’s also got massive room for improvement. I don’t think there is one free agent he’s signed that has been like “wow” and his rookie class is not inspiring when you look at other rookies around the league. If there were competent ownership this would be his second full season at the helm and we’d have a much clearer sense of success and failure, but the Macc stench is strong. I mean, one of the two last splashes the man made opted out of the season and the other seems like he never wanted to be a Jet. 

• Upvote 2

People give him bad grades for the FAs, but it’s not like he had much to work with.  His OL moves look poor (outside of Alex Lewis), but it’s not like any of the other FA tickets have set the league on fire.  Recall he was pursuing Thuney (who is a stud) but he was franchised.  Instead he had to completely remake the line, with not very much money to go around, so instead he settled on a few not so expensive rentals that was hoped would stabilize the line short term, and they could rebuild properly via the draft at a later time while not getting Sam killed like the year before.  Given the lack of talent in FA OL, he did about as well as could be hoped for and didn’t break the bank.

As far as cbs and wrs, he tried to get Anderson but the latter preferred to leave (not his fault) and the available cbs and wrs out there was ridiculously thin.  He did a good job resigning Poole, who has played ok for us.  It didn’t make sense to go after the few Amari Cooper or Byron Jones like players for stupid money at this stage of the franchise.

So imo he’s done ok given the terrible hand he was dealt.  We shall see how his draft turns out.  Worst signing:  CmG and Desir.  Best signing: Myers, Lewis and Poole.

i give him an A-

• Upvote 1

It's too early to really give him a grade right now.  I'll say the following though:

He looks to have hit a homerun with Becton and at one of the most critical positions on the field.  That's obviously his biggest positive.

I still like the Jamal Adams trade, despite that it's looking like the first of the 2 #1's we got from Seattle will probably be near the bottom of the first round.

Alex Lewis seems like a good signing so far as well.  I'm not sure it was for more than just this year but, if so, that's 2/5 of the OL rebuilt in 1 offseason.  That would be very good if so.  Our OL needed a complete rebuild and I was under no delusion that it was going to happen in 1 season.

Not re-signing Robby Anderson looks like a horrible move so far.

Connor McGovern has done poorly too

Braden Mann, as much as we joke, has lived up to expectations (plus he's a good tackler!)

Most of the rest of his draft picks haven't even played so they get an incomplete.

I don't think he's been in charge of firing Gase so I'll put that on the records of the "buffoon brothers", WJ/CJ.

Ryan Khalil last year was a hail mary that didn't work out but I liked that he tried something "out of the box" there (even though it failed).

• Upvote 3

Well his draft sucked. He boned the Anderson thing. Hasn’t really put himself out there, leaving fans still wondering who’s actually in charge. It’s the same thing as the last tandem we had. It’s more the Johnson’s who get the F, but Douglas seems like another weak hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Incomplete wasn’t a choice. I went with b mainly because of his draft.  I have faith that Mims and Clark will do well when they do get in. Zuniga too. Obviously Becton can be a 10 year block on the left side. Mann has been a good punter. Perine has shown some running ability even if he has to learn how to pass block.

and then there are the free agents. IMO they are better than the players they replaced. Fant is doing a good job as is van roten. Their main problem is they haven’t played as a unit. Perine to replace Robbie? In hindsight it doesn’t look like it was a good move. We don’t know what the effort was to re-sign Robbie. Robbie wanted more money and was able to reunite with his college coach.  The defense overall hasn’t been playing very well. Desir seems like he has the physical talent but hasn’t been playing the position very well. The dline is still not getting pressure on the Qb and the lb’s aren’t doing well to prevent long runs. But it’s not as much a talent issue as much as just not playing as a unit.

The Adams trade? It was a good deal especially since college football has resumed.  There was a concern that if the college season was cancelled it would pretty much not give the chance for the players to show how much they have improved. The players will also get one more year to refine their skills.  Not every player can take a year off like Bosa and still get drafted no. 1.

I don’t understand the Douglas hate.   He has had one draft and FA offseason....He is rebuilding from Idzik and Macs bad drafting.    Robby Anderson is a whifff.  All GMs have them but I’m not so sure RA would have the same production on the Jets.  Gase would still only use him as a deep threat

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Beaver said:

I don’t understand the Douglas hate.   He has had one draft and FA offseason....He is rebuilding from Idzik and Macs bad drafting.    Robby Anderson is a whifff.  All GMs have them but I’m not so sure RA would have the same production on the Jets.  Gase would still only use him as a deep threat

Honestly with how weak this team was offensively, this draft should have at least netted two receivers and two backs. Project QB’s, corners and safeties shouldn’t have even been on the board. He had the opportunity to take Claypool as well.

• Upvote 4

I mean, 4 years ago we had a similar poll up and the same people still posting Big Macc memes in 2020 were all over the board telling us of the great Exec of the Year.

I think the most important move in his career to date will be who he gets to partner with him as his HC. The second most important will be what he does at QB1 this offseason.

Obviously at this stage it’s an incomplete, but based solely on his personnel moves to date, Douglas is a full on C.

- Becton looks legit and it took balls to take him there with Whirfs staring him in the face
- The JA trade was better than I would have anticipated (although Russell doing his best to screw us). However, we have to see what Douglas does with those picks. I wanted him to trade JA to Dallas for #17 and take CeeDee. If Douglas blows those picks, then this trade will be a net negative on his record
- Loved the Ashtyn and Mims picks 
- Hated the 4th rd pick. You don’t select a QB in the 4th rd for anything more than to be a backup. We didn’t need to spend draft capital for that - there are always cheapo-deapo QBs on the market every offseason to hold a clipboard for you. See: Joe Flacco, Josh Rosen. A size-speed freak at a position of need (AGG) was staring Douglas in the face, and he instead took our current 4th string QB
- Not giving Robby a little more when we have 20m+ cap left was stupid, but I could see the logic there. Signing Perriman and assuming he’d be an adequate replacement almost had me calling for his neck in real-time. One of the dumbest moves I’ve seen in a long time 
- Zuniga is a bust 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Because we are talent deprived and he let two of our best players walk out that door. It's his job to extend the ones we have that are worth keeping. He's set up Darnold to fail in 2020, and that is egregious and negligent of him considering how much the Jets invested in Darnold. Bottom line he made us a worse team than we were when he arrived. It doesn't take talent to create a crappy culture,  cap space, and sell assets for crap shoot draft picks.  Right now Joe's moves are looking more and more like he's another John Idzik.

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

B right now (that is being generous) but that could swing wildly by the end of the year.  Gase must be gone and some of his picks have to actually  play a friggin game and look good, if not he drops grade wise.

I pretty much agree.

He has had 1 draft, which i liked at the time.  It is odd that virtually all his picks got hurt.  

He traded Jamal, but we won't know what he got for 2 full years, he did get more in draft pics than I would have thought.

This is his big off season.  He can bring in his coach, have at minimum a top 3 draft pick, but a 2nd first rounder, plus a high 3rd.  He has to get some impact players out of all of that.

• Upvote 1