After 17 months on the job what grade would you give Joe Douglas?

What grade would you give GM Joe Douglas?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give GM Joe Douglas?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Well his draft sucked. He boned the Anderson thing. Hasn’t really put himself out there, leaving fans still wondering who’s actually in charge. It’s the same thing as the last tandem we had. It’s more the Johnson’s who get the F, but Douglas seems like another weak hire.

Woody is the real GM.  Has been for 10 years

• Post of the Week 1

I'll be nice and give him a solid C grade.

Not adding any significant talent in 17 months isnt making his life any easier and putting out quite possibly the worst Football team I've ever seen assembled in the NFL is bad but setting up the Jets with extra picks and a boatload of money is cool if he can execute.

Fully expecting a disaster but until then C.

• Upvote 2

I go back and forth on him at this point, so a C seems fair for now.  A lot of question marks out there with his moves, beyond Becton.  However, I find it a bit questionable that one of the things he's getting the most flack for is probably one he also had the least control over.  When it comes down to Anderson, let's not forget that reports this past offseason were the Jets were actually the highest bidder for him, yet he chose Carolina anyway.  Bottom line, he decided he'd rather have Rhule than Gase, which is a concept I think we'd all 100% agree with at the moment.  Tough to put that on Douglas.

With that said, he still certainly deserves major flack for the horrific job he did replacing Anderson, so I'm not at all excusing him for that part, but acting as though he simply decided the Jets didn't need him at all doesn't really fit in with what actually happened.  He just needed a backup plan that was a whole lot better than Perriman, which obviously he did not.

FA overall hasn't been good for him to date, while the draft class is largely unknown beyond Becton.  Of course, the problem with that is it's tough to say whether they're actually bad players, considering the rest of them haven't even really been given any chances.  While I would normally consider that an indictment of the players on its own, when not good enough to step on the field, it's tough to really do that when it's Adam friggin' Gase making the call on that nonsense, who repeatedly goes with the old players that have already proven to suck instead.

• Upvote 2

lol and you see what is wrong with jet fans

anybody that goes above a c and that is being generous is nuts

his job is to make the team better -he signed terrible contracts and brought in terrible players while letting adams and anderson go

a draft is graded by results-so far his draft is a D -one player that contributed and a 5 year old should be able to hit on a first rounder

he drafted a qb (who will never play) instead of trying to find a WR

he is like all of the previous gms-he sucks 

pay ozzie 5 times what he made in Baltimore and give him the keys-we need a proven winner -like the cubs did with theo-our only hope

C right now.

I like his general approach. I like the assets he got for Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams. Becton looks like a beast.

That said, he obviously didn't make a ton of moves to improve the team in the short term and the roster, one off-season in, is still really bad.

Really, the grade he has right now is kind of irrelevant. One year from now, with a new coach (that he'll presumably have a significant part in hiring), potentially a new QB, a 2nd draft class (and hopefully this one healthy) and what will presumably be a slightly more active FA period things could look very, very different. 

But it's hard to give him "high marks" at this point when the team is such a dumpster fire.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Douglas correctly identified that this team would not be competitive in 2020.  And now you have people complaining that the players he signed to 1-year deals were failures.  Duh.  The guys you're signing to 1-year deals are other teams' castoffs.  By the very definition that they were let go and forced to settle for 1-year deals, they are failures.  2021 will see a turnover of about 50 % of the roster.  Stop sweating the small stuff. 

I'm pretty sure he also already knew Darnold was a dud prior to the season, hence why he didn't invest heavily around him.  I could be wrong there.  Either way he deserves the chance to bring in his own QB.

The draft is a big old TBD but we should all be encouraged by the Becton pick, at least.  His injury is just another in a long line of injuries that have been a Gase problem since his Miami days.  Prior to the injury he was playing at the highest level of any of the rookie OT's.  If he ends up a true franchise LT, he'll be the best Jets' draft pick since 2007.  

Douglas deserves a B.  If we continue to tank properly, for once, he gets an A.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

A for draft day trades (we need bodies) and he still did very well in the first two rounds.

A for Becton.

I'll give him a B for Mimms because I think he'll be good.  It could go up or down.

A for Mann.  C- minus for the rest of the draft.  This could go up if any of these guys ever play.

B for Fant.  D for the rest or the free agents.

Overall a B minus, thanks to Becton looking like a ten year cornerstone.

The team is terrible, yes, but I don't think we can blame Douglas, necessarily.  He's only had one draft and everybody got hurt.

• Upvote 2

I gave him a C.

I loved his plan - don't overpay overrated vets, don't make a safety the highest paid player on the team, focus on building through the draft, prioritize short term deals for 2020, load up with draft capital for next year and beyond. 

On paper, the Jamal Adams trade is one of the best trades we have ever made. The Becton pick looks stellar (assuming he can get back on the field and stay there). 

But the execution on everything else is suspect. I thought resigning Anderson was a no-brainer and said so at the time. The Perriman signing looks awful. The Van Roten signing looks just as bad. Fant is meh. I hated the fact that we only took 1 WR in the most loaded WR draft class ever - This is making the Mims injury that much more frustrating than it would have already been. I didn't love the Morgan pick - again, wanted another WR there. I didn't love the Davis pick - again, wanted another WR there. It's concerning to me that a healthy Perrine can't get on the field. I'm hoping that is just Gase being Gase. In general, I don't think he put a strong enough supporting cast around Darnold in year 3, injuries or no injuries. I still need to see him separate himself from this head coach and push Gase out of the organization. 

C - some good, some bad. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

If he gets Lawrence and either a stud WR or OLineman in the 2021 draft he will start looking like a genius next year.  Right now, not so much.  But everything has broken the wrong way, more or less.

Agree with this. His plan can still turn into a slam dunk with a little luck - but luck seems to be something that this organization has none of. 

• Upvote 1

Bechton looks like a great pick. None of the other draft picks have been healthy or really made an impact. Hopefully that will change as the season goes on. That would be very encouraging if they turn out to be good players.

Letting Robby go seems like a big mistake but to be fair Perriman has been injured.

his FA signings are fair at best but none of them are cap crippling and all of them except McGovern can be cut after this season without ramifications.

he is doing a good job with the cap, he will need to use it well this offseason. 

hopefully by this time next season we will be clearly on the right track with significant and tangible signs of improvement.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Because we are talent deprived and he let two of our best players walk out that door. It's his job to extend the ones we have that are worth keeping. He's set up Darnold to fail in 2020, and that is egregious and negligent of him considering how much the Jets invested in Darnold. Bottom line he made us a worse team than we were when he arrived. It doesn't take talent to create a crappy culture,  cap space, and sell assets for crap shoot draft picks.  Right now Joe's moves are looking more and more like he's another John Idzik.

Yes and this past offseason was a weak FA group.   Again, I’ll give you Robby Anderson was a bad move.   I’ll disagree about Jamal Adams.   He was going to want a Kong’s ransom for a new contract and Joe Douglas got good value in a trade for a safety.    E didn’t set up Darnold to fail, the online is improved.   He provided a quality RB from all accounts of preseason, but Gase keeps going to 37 year old Gore.   And Darnold is the one not seeing open receivers.    That’s on Darnold.   Not Joe Douglas.    

This offseason is supposed to have a good group of FA available and Joe Douglas has set the Jets up to be able to go shopping then.  Jury is still out on if he will sign the right guys though.  

you can’t fix 6 years of bad drafting in one draft and offseason.   It’s just not possible.   

I give him a B+.

He has a plan in place and he’s executing it perfectly.   While I don’t agree with his strategy it is his plan and he’s delivering on it.  Right now that’s all I can ask.

The only reason he doesn’t get an A is because of RA and a couple of bad FA signings last year but even those were long-shots out of desperation from what Mac left him.  I’m not going to hold the Rookie injuries against him yet.  

• Sympathy 1

As those of us with kids in college know, sometimes they get bad grades initially and then improve greatly and get the hang of it.

I like JD and what he is trying to do, but your Freshman year still counts.  I have given him a D.  

Kalil was terrible.  Not signing Robby was terrible.  GVR was terrible.  Extending Griffin ok.   His draft picks are not contributing when compared to other teams, which is on him for now.  

The Leo and Jamal trades have good potential but are incomplete until Davis and the picks pan out.  

This season is a wash.  I think JD's ultimate grade will be next year when his picks and signings are able to be conditioned property, better coached and play.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

And I'm pretty sure Murray threw it knowing the flag was against us.

I'm sure that he did, but I am still pissed that wasn't immediately returned.  If the ball is on the floor, pick it up.  If the ball is in your hands, run towards the end zone.  I hold these truths to be self-evident.  As a coach, I demand them or face the lash! 

Grade Incomplete but the early signs  are pointing to an F.

Becton...sure, that was super difficult right?     A

Mann  A (who cares)

George Fant   C/D

the flip side of the scales ...

Ryan Kalil F

Letting Robbie Anderson walk .    F

Hoping and praying with injury plagued  Breshad Perriman FF

Greg Van Roten. over-achieving marginal NFL talent and jet fan ,   F

Drafting James Morgan instead of a wide receiver  F

Pierre Desir    F

Quincy Wilson F

Conor McGovern ( D/F, grade incomplete )

Mims   (Grade Incomplete)

Ashtyn Davies for Leonard Williams.  (Grade incomplete)

Zuninga (Grade Incomplete)

Lamical Perine (Grade incomplete)

Byrce Hall (Grade Incomplete)

Cameron Clarke (Grade Incomplete)

• Post of the Week 1

He gets an incomplete B. He's done a good job getting solid assets during the tear down and his first round pick looks like a future star already.

The rest of the draft is more of a wait and see at the moment and he failed Sam Darnold this season. If his other draft picks tank then this is a C at it's very best.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

But the execution on everything else is suspect. I thought resigning Anderson was a no-brainer and said so at the time. The Perriman signing looks awful.

If you put Perriman on the Panthers with Rhule/Teddy and kept Robby here with Gase/Sam, do you think you'd feel the same way?  I'm not sure if there's such a big gap with the players vs. the systems/QB they are playing in...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If you put Perriman on the Panthers with Rhule/Teddy and kept Robby here with Gase/Sam, do you think you'd feel the same way?  I'm not sure if there's such a big gap with the players vs. the systems/QB they are playing in...

Possibly, but I think we'd be happier. 

Anderson looked like he was improving to me last year. I also am big on trying to keep decent young players who the Jets actually developed themselves, since we have so few of those guys around. 

The other issue is Perriman has nagging injury issues and Anderson has been very durable. 

I would have really liked to see Anderson back for another year in the same system with Darnold. I agree that Darnold/Gase vs. Rhule/Teddy is a major confounding variable. 

• Upvote 1

The correct grade is inc.  Too many unknowns.  Certainly, the team is in chaos and as the GM he deserves to be targeted.

So the question is, can he reverse the direction.

GMing is a zero sum game.  If he hits at 55%+, we have a winner.  But it takes patience.

Becton and Mann are solid picks.  Everyone else grades inc.

His FA signings aren't looking good.  But OL takes awhile to gel.  Might look better is a couple of weeks, might not.

Trade of Adams--excellent.  If he can get a used, bent 5 iron for Bell, he gets another excellent.

He just needs more time.

So far Douglas has executed the tear down, which is easy.  The hard part is what follows.   Thus far it’s been more of the same.   Unfortunately he has dug himself a massive hole to climb out of and he’s going to have to pull off a couple extraordinary drafts to get this going.  Getting one quality starter per draft isn’t going to advance this franchise.   

12 minutes ago, addage said:

The correct grade is inc.  Too many unknowns.  Certainly, the team is in chaos and as the GM he deserves to be targeted.

So the question is, can he reverse the direction.

GMing is a zero sum game.  If he hits at 55%+, we have a winner.  But it takes patience.

Becton and Mann are solid picks.  Everyone else grades inc.

His FA signings aren't looking good.  But OL takes awhile to gel.  Might look better is a couple of weeks, might not.

Trade of Adams--excellent.  If he can get a used, bent 5 iron for Bell, he gets another excellent.

He just needs more time.

sorry but this is the lamest excuse people use

even if a slow re build-the team should be getting better not worse

at the start of the season there were plenty that were predicting playoffs and the AFC east crown now they are saying it was the master plan of Joe to burn it down-he sucks

after one looks at our wrs and tight ends they should quickly know joe must go just like a different joe years back joe walton