What was Mike McCagnans worst move?

GreekJet

What was Mike McCagnans worst move?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What was Mike McCagnans worst decision?

• Signing Darrelle Revis to mega deal
    • Re-Signing Mo Wilkerson to mega-extension
    • Caving to the demands of Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Drafting Christian Hackenberg
    • Drafting Darron Lee
    • Drafting Jamal Adams over Patrick Mahomes and DeShaun Watson
    • Signing Trumaine Johnson to mega deal
    • Trading the farm for Sam Darnold
    • Signing LeVeon Bell to mega deal
    • Signing CJ Mosley to mega deal
    • Drafting Quinnen Williams third overall

The entire 2019 offseason. Blowing the coaching hire... Helping hire Adam Gase. Drafting and blowing over 100M in FA on senseless signings. Neither the draft class, coaching hire, nor the signings supported/helped his promising rookie QB at the time. It's why we are in this position today.

He is the worst GM in franchise history.

Drafting Adams over Mahomes and Watson is winning by a large margin, but I think this just shows the influence that years of people trashing Adams has done on this board.  Adams gave the team a couple of years of All Pro level play on a rookie contract and fetched 2 first rounders in a trade before signing a big money contract.  Missing out on a franchise quarterback sucks, but look at the list of horrendous moves.  I'm not sure how you can objectively say that was the worst one.

I voted for signing Bell to a mega deal.  Signing an aging running back with a ton of mileage to a big contract is NEVER going to end well.  He was a malcontent who took a year off.  He also benefited from running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league for years, a polar opposite situation from the Jets.  Running backs in the NFL are largely plug and play.  It's all about getting a pair of young, fresh legs behind a quality offensive line.

It was a panic move made by a sinking GM to get a big name in the building after a failed start to free agency. He was negotiating against himself as most of the league showed little to no interest.  It was doomed to fail from the start.  It reminded me of Idzik trading for an oft-injured Percy Harvin playing on a big money deal in the middle of a lost season right before he was fired.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Drafting Adams over Mahomes and Watson is winning by a large margin, but I think this just shows the influence that years of people trashing Adams has done on this board.  Adams gave the team a couple of years of All Pro level play on a rookie contract and fetched 2 first rounders in a trade before signing a big money contract.  Missing out on a franchise quarterback sucks, but look at the list of horrendous moves.  I'm not sure how you can objectively say that was the worst one.

I voted for signing Bell to a mega deal.  Signing a running back with a ton of mileage to a big contract is NEVER going to end well.  He was a malcontent who took a year off.  He also benefited from running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league for years, a polar opposite situation from the Jets.  Running backs in the NFL are largely plug and play.  It's all about the offensive line.

It was a panic move made by a sinking GM to get a big name in the build after a failed start to free agency, and it was doomed to fail from the start.  It reminded me of Idzik trading for Percy Harvin in the middle of a lost season right before he was fired.

It’s kind of a joke the drafting Adams is winning. It’s easy to forget that a bunch of other teams also passed on Mahomes/Watson for far worse players than Jamal (Trubisky, Solomon Thomas, Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross).

That said I don’t think McCagnan did much homework on the 2017 QBs. He was holding out for the 2018 class and that was a big mistake. 

Hackenberg.  Arguably the most over-drafted QB prospect ever, even though he was taken in Rd 2 rather than Rd 1.  That's how bad of a prospect he was.  He couldn't even complete 60 % of his throws against Indiana.  In 4 tries.

Since the Hackenberg pick led directly to the Jets passing on the QB prospects in the following draft class, it's even worse than taking Adams.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

On another note it’s mind boggling to me how underrated his trainwreck of a job is to the rest of the NFL....He’s up there in Matt Millen Territory of terrible! 

He was worse than Matt Millen.  Matt Millen drafted Calvin Johnson, Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola, Shaun Rogers, Cliff Avril and Cory Redding.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Drafting Christian Hackenberg was the trigger for drafting Jamal Adams over Watson and Mahomes.  Had we not drafted Hackenberg the year before, QB would have been the target.

Those two events, leading by a landslide in the poll, are inexorably tied.

Maccagnan was comically bad. Will never work in a front office again probably.

• Upvote 4

Easily the worst GM in Jets history.  The guy had some of the largest draft capital and money to spend in NFL history, and according to PFF, the only guy on this roster that is currently under contract from his regime that is above a 70 grade is Jamison Crowder and Fatukasi (a backup DT).  2 players!!!

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was worse than Matt Millen.  Matt Millen drafted Calvin Johnson, Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola, Shaun Rogers, Cliff Avril and Cory Redding.

Exactly my point. Macagnan is literally one of the worse GMs of all time but yet for some reason the National media gives him a pass 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Exactly my point. Macagnan is literally one of the worse GMs of all time but yet for some reason the National media gives him a pass 

They loved him because he was quoted more than any other NFL GM ever. Almost always attributed to "anonymous source close to the Jets."

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GreekJet said:

We have had time to digest. I honestly think the answer is Hackenberg. Not because he wasted a 2nd round pick, but he refused to admit his mistake a year later. That led to the Jets passing on Watson and Mahomes. 

I think there’s some merit in this but at the same time even if a team has a Qb drafting a guy like Watson or Mahomes isn’t a bad thing to do.  It’s not like hack was progressing before he got drafted so it is doubtful hack ever would’ve been a real franchise type Qi.

I selected not drafting Mahomes or Watson. IMO his worst move was messing up the negotiations with fitzy in 2016.  By not making sure he was in training camp, Mac allowed Geno to take over the team.  When fitzy finally did show up, there was a schism and it let to the lockeroom discord.  Had fitzy been brought in earlier then maybe he wouldn’t have had better chemistry with the receivers other than Marshall and decker. When decker went down and Marshall got dinged up it became clear fitzy couldn’t do the job. Fitzy just wasn’t that good to allow a team to break apart. Mac should’ve kept Geno as Qb.

37 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

It’s because he left early and does not need to be the face behind one of the worst teams you will ever see. Obviously his finger prints all over this mess and his 2nd rebuild attempt (permitted by the owner) was as bad as it gets. 

Think about where the Jets have been since Mac tore everything down in 2017. CJ was right to gut the roster, but he allowed the wrong guy to pick the players. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hackenberg.  Arguably the most over-drafted QB prospect ever, even though he was taken in Rd 2 rather than Rd 1.  That's how bad of a prospect he was.  He couldn't even complete 60 % of his throws against Indiana.  In 4 tries.

Since the Hackenberg pick led directly to the Jets passing on the QB prospects in the following draft class, it's even worse than taking Adams.

I voted Hackenberg, as well. 

1) I first-guessed that Hackenberg would be a bust - I'm a PSU fan and watched almost every snap of his career. Any PSU fan would have told you he was garbage. 

2) Taking Hack led directly to passing on Mahomes and/or Watson. 

• Upvote 1