Do you have a walk-away/take a break point? What is it?

jgb

At what point do you walk away/take a break from this team?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. At what point do you walk away/take a break from this team?

• No walk away point. Green for life!
    • Jets don't fire Gase at the bye
    • Jets go 0-16
    • Jets keep Gase for 2021
    • Jets secure #1 pick and Lawrence announces he's picking up a double major in order to stay in school
    • Jets have top 3 pick and don't take a QB
    • Jets have #1 pick and take a QB not named "Trevor Lawrence"
    • Jets draft Lawrence and he refuses to sign/forces a trade
    • Jets fire Gase but re-hire Rex to replace him
    • Jets fire Gase but hire Coach X (specify in chat) to replace him
    • I'm already at/passed my walk away point

One of the outcomes of the pandemic is that season ticket holders have been given a break at the perfect time.  This is our 'reset' year.  Didn't have to wake up early, pack the car, and fight traffic 8x to watch this.  Didn't need to write a check to the Jets for $5K in April to pay for this.

This season is our reset.  We start next season with a clean slate and a young locker room that wants to be here, no more conflicts for Gase from players or the media, and begin to take positive steps on gameday.  

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

One of the outcomes of the pandemic is that season ticket holders have been given a break at the perfect time.  This is our 'reset' year.  Didn't have to wake up early, pack the car, and fight traffic 8x to watch this.  Didn't need to write a check to the Jets for $5K in April to pay for this.

This season is our reset.  We start next season with a clean slate and a young locker room that wants to be here, no more conflicts for Gase from players or the media, and begin to take positive steps on gameday.  

SAR I

If Gase walks out there on week one 2021 I hope the fans rush him from their seats and throw him in the river. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I will always be a jets fan but just less interested.  Lowest possible future point being how I felt about the knicks after Isaiah traded entire drafts for bad players years down the road.  The draft has been one of the only hopeful times I have had with this team the last couple of years. case in point, Sam Darnold and Becton.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

51db77f5fe9085caf9934bdbb39a22b6--emoji-tumblr-microsoft-windows.jpg

Already at that point. I used to be die hard for this team and the NFL.  Was always emotionally vested all year long. Last couple years started feeling numb.  Have not watched one second of football this year.  I get on this board once in awhile and realize nothing is changed and I'm not wasting any more of my life on this disgusting life sucking "sport".  I feel like I've gained years back onto my life !  This league and especially this team has become a comedy to me. 
     Having said that I do believe Joe Douglas knows what he is doing.  As Jet fans most of us are out of patience. However that's what is needed. Gonna take more than a year and a half to right this ship. Probably more like another 2 or 3 years.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

For some strange reason, I will never walk away from the Jets. I’ll always have hope. My level of interest has waned and I’m certainly less emotionally involved, but I will support the team as long as they exist.

if they do happen to do something so heinous that I have to walk away from them, rest assured I will start a thread telling you all that I’ve had enough, the team is ****ed, and I’m done. The difference is I won’t be a wanker who comes back as if I’d never said a thing and then get defensive when you all call me out on it. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

When do you walk away/take a break from this team?

If the WashingtonFT manages to:

1. Get a good, really good new name I like,

2. Changes their colors to a scheme I really like,

3. Shows some level of improvement in 2020 and,

4. MAYBE the NFL dumps Dan Snyder as Owner....

If that were to happen, I would (despite 40 years) start watching/following the WFT more, and the Jets less.

Honestly, that IS the outcome I probably want ideally.  To follow and root for my local, hometown team.  NY hasn't been my home for 35 years, and I share nothing culturally with New Yorkers anymore, if I ever did.  I'm a Virginian, a DC-NOVA-SOMD guy, thu and thru.  I root the Nats.  If I followed hockey, I'd root the Caps.  If I followed hoops, I'd root the Bullets, er, Wizards.  if I rooted college, I'd root UVA most likely.

I just grew up loathing the Redskins as a Jets Fan in Exile, for multiple reasons.  If those reasons mostly disappear, who knows. 

The older I get, the less I think of fandom as some "must do", and the more I think of it as a conscious, intellectual choice.  The idea of rooting my local team, discussed on my local radio, on local TV (not Sunday Ticket), and with the abillity to go to home games without a five hour grueling I95 drive......it's tempting.  Very tempting.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

If Gase walks out there on week one 2021 I hope the fans rush him from their seats and throw him in the river. 

It's time to realize what's going on.

Christopher Johnson is standing by his decision on Adam Gase.  Not only has he doubled-down (comments after Bills game) but he has tripled-down (cutting Bell).  Gase has called every shot since April 2019.  Maccagnan gone.  Trumaine, Osemele, Jamal, Bell, all gone.  Manish gone.  

Accept Adam Gase as your Jets Savior or move on.  It's going to be unbearable for you until 2023 otherwise.

SAR I

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Christopher Johnson is standing by his decision on Adam Gase.  Not only has he doubled-down (comments after Bills game) but he has tripled-down (cutting Bell).  Gase has called every shot since April 2019.  Maccagnan gone.  Trumaine, Osemele, Jamal, Bell, all gone.  Manish gone.  

Accept Adam Gase as your Jets Savior or move on.  It's going to be unbearable for you until 2023 otherwise.

SAR I

I thought you wanted Josh McDaniels?

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

I'm know I'm one of the lucky few that was able to see the glory DAY in 1969 lol... There are a few of us still left on this board, but for you younger guys, I feel bad for you. I know cause I still stick with this team through thick and thin... I have not watched but maybe one game this year, because the streams are not that good anymore. For some reason when I first did it via Reddit, they were great, but now they are all choppy and somewhat unwatchable. That said, I believe and have said this that until we get some football lifer that becomes President of Football Operations, and the Johnson's agree to stay out of any football operations, this franchise is doomed to continue this failure. I believe JD is a good GM, but even he has to be wondering why he took this job. I would love to be a fly on the wall to know if he truly believes in AG, cause I have to be wondering if he's starting to have his doubts... He needs to grow a pair and tell CJ that it's time for a change in HC of the NYJ...

Hire Mike Westhoff as Team President.

Hire Nick Mangold as Public Relations manager.

Fire Gase.

Put Bozo Joe on notice.

Salvage Sam with an actual OC.

Just where I would start.

• Upvote 1

This thread made me think of a scene in the movie Fever Pitch, when Jimmy Fallon's character is talking to one the boys he coaches at baseball practice. The young man says to him " coach, you love the Sawx, do they ever love you back?"  The ownership of this team continues to just rip out my soul and love for this team, bit by bit, every year. This is my 41st year of having tickets, and I have never, ever felt this horrible. Tell me you love, tell me you hate me, but just don't have zero feelings for me. That's what the Johnson's have done to me, and ,I think, to most of you guys. They don't give a rats ass about any of us. I can't really put a finger on what will be the exact final straw, but let's just say I'm close, really close. I never dreamed I could ever feel this way about this team, and it breaks my heart to post this. Thanks for listening.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I’m not watching football for the time being for whatever reasons and the jets are at an all time terrible, yet I’m still here reading about them daily, so I guess I’d have to go with the only way I’m out is if they relocate the team outside the metro area and even them I’m not sure I’d be completely out.  Ima glutton for punishment 

Me and this dude.

After 50+ years of rooting for this car wreck, ain't no way I'm following any other team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

When they kept Mac and let him hire Gase. At that point, I detached myself as a fan - and simply watch on as my horrid expectations are met. 

The 2019 offseason was the most important one for this franchise in a decade. It's exactly why we are in this spot and it all happened bc CJ didnt know wtf he was doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I thought you wanted Josh McDaniels?

Doesn't matter what I want.  What matters is what Christopher Johnson wants.  It's his team.  If you root for it, you buy-in to what he's doing.  If you don't, it's time to move on as this is going to take a few years.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Doesn't matter what I want.  What matters is what Christopher Johnson wants.  It's his team.  If you root for it, you buy-in to what he's doing.  If you don't, it's time to move on as this is going to take a few years.

SAR I

200.gif

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

200.gif

• Haha 2

In my teens and twentys i was as diehard as they come. 

in my 30s i started to care less and lose connections to individual players on the team as they got older

in my 40s im a jaded SOJ Fan.  Yeah ill root for the team but ive come to a realization...a super bowl win in 2020 will not give me the same utility as a super bowl win when i was younger. Times, people, and interests change

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

I don't know at this point.

I used to be a huge Knicks fan but their incompetence and the way the game is played today has totally turned me off to the NBA.

The Jets and the NFL as a whole has me going down the same path. I hate the way the game is played is right now and the Jets are an incompetent organization.

I don't think I would ever stop being a Jets fan but if I did I would probably just stop watching the NFL as a whole because the games suck right now.

I feel the same way.  The Knicks have been dead to me since Dolan hired Isaiah.  After he was fired, I had already felt disconnected from the franchise for a while so it's been easy to continue to feel that way.

I also hate the way the game is played today btw.  Watching the MJ documentary was really interesting because it reminded me how much I used to love the NBA.  Today the sport is a shell of what it was.  The same is true of the NFL in many ways.  Some people thought that Rams/Chiefs game a couple of years ago was one of the greatest games ever.  To me, it was one of the worst games I had ever seen (in the little bit of it that I watched).  It certainly wasn't an overnight thing though. That game was just a culmination of many years of the league completely losing its identity.  I still do care about the Jets but it's a different type of thing now.  If we won the Superbowl I'd be very happy about it but it wouldn't be the same.  It would probably feel more like we won an Arena League title.  It's amazing how far the NFL has fallen. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's not a time to remain calm.  It's a time to make a personal decision.  In or out?  Staying for the painful rebuild with Gase or leaving out of frustration?

Make the decision.  Then live with it.

SAR I

I'm still a fan, but the Jets are just plain awful and no joy to watch. For example, in week 6 I'd rather watch  Aaron Rodgers and the Packers take on Tom Brady's Buccaneers in Tampa than watch the Jets get massacred by Fitzpatrick led Dolphins.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Hire Mike Westhoff as Team President.

Hire Nick Mangold as Public Relations manager.

Fire Gase.

Put Bozo Joe on notice.

Salvage Sam with an actual OC.

Just where I would start.

I like the 1st three for sure.  I'm not sure JD has had enough time to really undue the mess this roster was and is. While there were some head scratchers we've debated on this forum, he is much better then our previous 3 bozo's, and I'd give him a few more years. I'm sure with a competent HC, he would probably prove to be just fine. The HC needs to report to JD, and JD needs to report to Westhoff, or whomever is POFO. I don't know who to blame for all the injuries, but the other thing I'd do is to find strength and conditioning coaches who actually know what they are doing. I don't ever recall this many injuries, so no matter who the HC is, that has to be one of the important changes. As far as the HC, he needs to have complete control over the entire team and have a philosophy of MODERN football. He needs to hire the right OC and DC to compliment his vision. If we do end up with the 1st pick, then this team can't just draft Trevor and think that anything will be different with the same roster. I'm not for or against Trevor at this moment, but as I've always said in the past, you can have Brady on this team, and even he won't be able to get us out of the mess we're in. The game starts and ends with controlling the line of scrimmage. I do believe if we stick with Sam, then he needs to be more of a leader and start holding his offense accountable. Get in somebodies face and mean it, and show some fire.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So... the best thing about being a season ticket holder is you don't have to pay to witness the latest train wreck in person. Jets should make a commercial from that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Man, this is a loaded question. I've been a fan, a real, die hard Jets fan for 45 years. I became a Jets fan as a kid in the 1970s, in the end days of Namath. I stuck with them even after we moved to Florida in the late 70s....and the rest of my family adopted the Dolphins (who they all still root for). Mud Bowl, O'Brien over Marino, Strike year, the collapse, all of the horrible,  insane crap that the Jets put us through,  and that was the Pre-DirecTV days. I only got to see an average of 3 - 4 Jets games a year, the rest of the time it was just reading the Box Score and game summary in the Palm Beach Post  and weekly SI magazine.  

Through the 1990s  through my time in the Army and rarely seeing a game, I stuck with them. Always had on a Jets cap. Kept up through printed media, and later, Jets Confidential. 

Even through Kotite, I stuck with them.  Heck, the 1996 Game vs Washington  when rookie Keyshawn caught a TD  and the refs inexplicably took it away....I was THERE!! in a freaking Kyle Brady Jersey! LOL 

1997  I was at the Seattle Opener, little did I know that would start the Silver Age of Jets football,  or that it would be a fleeting time. But I stuck with them. 

From Florida,  to all over the world, and then from South Carolina,  to Washington DC, up to Boston, and then finally back to Florida, I stuck with the Jets. 

I was vacationing in Ireland for the 1999 AFC Championship game. Found a sports bar in Dublin in the Temple Bar area that was playing it live, dragged everyone with me to watch....LOL.

All the bad and the flashes of good, I stuck around. Traveling to games across the country,  buying new merchandise and every other year or so, buying a new jersey....well, I stopped buying new merchandise a while ago, the last real Jersey I bought was Kris Jenkins, and I haven't bought anything new since I got my kids Decker and Marshall T shirts in '15. But now, I don't WANT any new stuff. I DESPISE the new, Johnson Jets uniforms. They SUCK. BADLY. 

The last 10 years has degraded my "fanship" to a point where its more amused contempt. I still went out of my way to watch games, but I haven't traveled to a game since Jax in December 9th  2012. 

The last 2 years have been brutal. Worst era since the 1970s. Worse than the Kotite years  Exponentially worse than the Coslett or Walton years.

Hiring Adam Gase, who has failed EVERYWHERE he has been, who was terminated under awful circumstances from Miami, who was known to alienate players, refuse to adapt his "scheme", jettison talented players due to his insanity or social awkwardness, was not only a strategic disaster, it sent a message to fans that the ownership group is to cheap to pay top talent, is too insecure to bring in someone with a top reputation,  and are such Betas, they're afraid to be dominated by a REAL Football Coach,  so they surround themselves with yes men and arse lickers. 

Everything this ownership group does has tried has predictably failed.  Once they got out of the shadow of Parcells, who walked away from the Jets BECAUSE of the owners,  it has been an absolute trash fire aside from a couple of unlikely and absurd years. Every hire is the cheapest option. Every Coach or GM is given nonsensical mandates, from having staff forced on them,  to ridiculous roster moves (Tebow). 

The last 12 months of "Jets Football" has been an absolute joke. They are THE WORST TEAM IN FOOTBALL.  They are now historically bad. They have destroyed a QB prospect in a manner NEVER SEEN BEFORE.  It looks almost intentional. 

I have watched a grand total of 8 quarters or so of Jets games (Mostly the Denver game), and couldn't be bothered to go to a bar to watch. Redzone is where the TV stays on Sunday afternoons now.

Adam Gase is an absolute JOKE. From the coked up INSANITY of his introductory presser, to his not being able to relate to or communicate to players, to his "OFFENSIVE SYSTEM" that is a retarded version of a 15 year old offense, to his insecurities and ego that keep him from actually hiring a properly structured staff,  he has brought the Jets to their absolute bottom. 

And all of this, All of it falls on Ownership. 

Where am I as a fan? I hold this team in contempt. I ENJOY laughing at them now. I have zero hope for them ever turning it around and being a winner under the current ownership. My interest? Yeah  after 45 F#cking years, I'm still invested. I have too much history to just walk away. But financially supporting the team? Nope. Not now. No new merchandise for this household. No plans to travel for a game. No Sunday Ticket. I've already unsubscribed from the Jets on every platform aside from this place, and until the Johnsons either sell, or finally realize that they are incompetent morons with no business trying to be involved in the business of Football and let a Pro handle things, I'll be talking sh*t with you guys here, the few Jets fans I know personally (a dwindling group tbh), and having more and more contempt for the Jets Organization.  

But walk away? **** that.  I'd rather stick around and laugh at the incompetent fools. Its too much fun....

Sorry about the book, it wasn't planned. Just kinda happened. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

for me taking a break means, i willnot exert any effortto wacth the Jets play...

i was hoodwinked by THIS BOARD to think Sam Darnold was gonna be somethig and I bought nfl package and watched crap for 2 years.

previoulsy i had not watched Jets football since ....2015 where I tuned in for a coupke games....  before that was 2011...

if they are on national TV, i willtune in...for as long as i can bear it...  otherwise...   i chat about teh sorry state and watch redzone...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

About 4 years ago I think it was.

I still check in and get hyped for a new season, but I have to take a break every 5 years or so. It's kind of a decades long pattern. There's nothing I can do to make the team better, but I can enjoy my everyday life. It's kind of liberating.

• Upvote 2