Time to Trade Darnold

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Charlie Brown, long time listener and big fan here. But we should NOT be trading Darnold mid season, or under any circumstances that don’t involve the drafting of Trevor Lawrence.

- Look at all the players around the NFL who have prospered post-Gase. There is plenty of hope for Sam with the right coach.

- Fire Gase asap / See if Sam can improve a little to bring hope into the next HC who is interviewing or increase his trade value during the offseason

- Even if Sam continue to regress, the truth is we have to see the rest of this season out with him for as much evaluation as possible.

- Douglas was clearly tanking and now is in tank overdrive. So I think we will have a good shot at the Trevor pick and Sam will be sent off for a 2nd rounder in the offseason...unless Gase is fired and JBC finds a way for Sam to improve and we win a few more than we would have.

I don’t want to get rid of Darnold!!!!

I don’t!!

I am in the minority i think that he can be great.  It is just IMO that the Jets Management doesn’t agree or they would have made sure to get him some skill players. 

And all i am saying is  if they don’t believe in him move in from him now while he still has some trade value! Cause absent a miracle he won’t after this season. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don’t want to get rid of Darnold!!!!

I don’t!!

I am in the minority i think that he can be great.  It is just IMO that the Jets Management doesn’t agree or they would have made sure to get him some skill players. 

And all i am saying is  if they don’t believe in him move in from him now while he still has some trade value! Cause absent a miracle he won’t after this season. 

i'm not understanding where you think the jets management doesn't believe in the guy.  they do and then did get him quite a bit of offensive help this season.  if you want to go back and blame mac, then do so.  he's the guy that set the stage.  even gase was brought in because he was a Qb whisperer. but trade darnold now?  there's no reason until to until they get lawrence or his replacement drafted and signed.

what's funny about this is that there were quite a few people pounding their hands on the table to draft darnold when he entered the draft.  a lot of those same people are not saying he was no good from the start and he's just another bad usc Qb yada, yada, yada.  i think darnold has the ability.  i also think he needed to be sat down to process the game especially when the oline play continued to be sub standard and he was getting pressure.  his injury is a blessing in disguise.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm not understanding where you think the jets management doesn't believe in the guy.  they do and then did get him quite a bit of offensive help this season.  if you want to go back and blame mac, then do so.  he's the guy that set the stage.  even gase was brought in because he was a Qb whisperer. but trade darnold now?  there's no reason until to until they get lawrence or his replacement drafted and signed.

what's funny about this is that there were quite a few people pounding their hands on the table to draft darnold when he entered the draft.  a lot of those same people are not saying he was no good from the start and he's just another bad usc Qb yada, yada, yada.  i think darnold has the ability.  i also think he needed to be sat down to process the game especially when the oline play continued to be sub standard and he was getting pressure.  his injury is a blessing in disguise.

I wish you were right but I’m not convinced because who is Sam throwing to and who is running the ball. Gore?

That tells me they are not looking for Sam to excel. 

I think Darnold’s value right now is at its low point. Now is not the time to trade him. I’d keep playing him and hope for the best for both him and the team, and reevaluate after the year. If they’re in a #1 overall type position and decide to make the change at QB, they need to move Darnold before the draft, though, and not do it the way Arizona traded Rosen. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

This is probably their thinking. But i would trade Darnold and start Morgan. 

You still have to hedge your bets because there is no guarantee you can get a QB yet.  Sam’s value is as low as it can get right now, barring severe injury.   He doesn’t cost a lot of money and he’s insurance in case the draft doesn’t go your way. 

• Upvote 1

The Jets will NOT get a first round draft pick!!!! They will not get a second round pick!!! They MAYBE can get a third round pick or a fourth round pick for him!!!!! No team at this moment want him because of his turnovers and decision making. Another reason, Darnold in three season has missed games and has not played a full season, These things hurt him a lot and no team is willing to take a risk. Jets management have to make a decision and the main person is the new head coach and offensive coordinator. They will decide his fate if he stays or goes!!! 

34 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Anyone who watched Ryan Tannenhill absolutely demolish the Bills after not practicing and thinks Sam is the only problem here really needs to re-think some things.

This idea that Tannehill was trash that needed to be salvaged is pretty curious. He was always an above average starter even in Miami. Durability was his issue. Whenever he played he was pretty decent.

Darnold sucks. It's tough to process but it is what it is. The team around him is awful but he's bad too.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Buy high sell low? So, we should take our first round pick that we gave away an additional 3 2nds for a handful of magic beans? Then who is going to be our QB? Now we are stuck getting the best we can and forced to take a QB in the 1st and maybe trade up (okay, that's funny as we suck so, we are already going to pick high).

No faith in Sam? I don't get it. We spent our first 2 picks on Sam with a LT and a WR. 

Plus, we get another year on the cheap with Sam. You wait until the draft and see what we want to do before even think about trading him. My guess is that Sam will be fine if we loose our coaching staff.

I would instead extend Sam while he is cheap and isn't playing very well. :-)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I wish you were right but I’m not convinced because who is Sam throwing to and who is running the ball. Gore?

That tells me they are not looking for Sam to excel. 

well, except for perriman replacing robbie, douglas supplied the offense with players that are better than the ones they replaced.  even the wrs are better.  it's just that the injury bug hit the team.  it's tough to make significant changes mid season.

the bottom line is they made a good effort to address the offense but the injuries are too much to make it seem so.  that and them not being able to field the same oline players game in and game out.  it all takes time.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The truth is based on what the Jets did this offseason and the lack of offensive skill players the Jets cannot say they believe in Sam Darnold.  

I believe in Darnold.  Let me repeat I believe in Darnold but the Jets don’t.   They clearly don’t.....

I say trade Darnold now rather than later.  The fact is that the tape on Darnold is NOT GOING to improve for Darnold with these players absent a miracle with Mims, so trade Darnold now while his value is best.  

Where is the Titanic when you need it!!!!

• Haha 1

It's so sad to read that we should accept, welcome and encourage the denigration of our franchise to appease Gase. It implies either complete disengagement or malfeasance by ownership - and the scary thing is that the evidence probably supports that assumption. 

What a bizarre and awful situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

The truth is based on what the Jets did this offseason and the lack of offensive skill players the Jets cannot say they believe in Sam Darnold.  

I believe in Darnold.  Let me repeat I believe in Darnold but the Jets don’t.   They clearly don’t.....

I say trade Darnold now rather than later.  The fact is that the tape on Darnold is NOT GOING to improve for Darnold with these players absent a miracle with Mims, so trade Darnold now while his value is best.  

There is a lot of truth in this 

52 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Buy high sell low? So, we should take our first round pick that we gave away an additional 3 2nds for a handful of magic beans? Then who is going to be our QB? Now we are stuck getting the best we can and forced to take a QB in the 1st and maybe trade up (okay, that's funny as we suck so, we are already going to pick high).

No faith in Sam? I don't get it. We spent our first 2 picks on Sam with a LT and a WR. 

Plus, we get another year on the cheap with Sam. You wait until the draft and see what we want to do before even think about trading him. My guess is that Sam will be fine if we loose our coaching staff.

I would instead extend Sam while he is cheap and isn't playing very well. :-)

Interesting, especially extending Sam now on the cheap. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Trading Darnold now makes no sense because his value already took the hit. They are better off playing him and trying to develop him the rest of the way. Then they have two options:

1. If they get the 1st overall pick, his value is higher

2. If they don't get the 1st overall pick, they have a better feel for what they think about him

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

It's so sad to read that we should accept, welcome and encourage the denigration of our franchise to appease Gase. It implies either complete disengagement or malfeasance by ownership - and the scary thing is that the evidence probably supports that assumption. 

What a bizarre and awful situation. 

This is so much bigger than Gase. This is Woody, an unaccomplished trust fund baby, leaving the franchise to his LESS accomplished brother.  

The Johnsons are a disaster.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Chuck, I have always admired your opinions, going back to JI, however this is a bad idea,

• Upvote 1

Follow the money.  

Darnold over the next years is both uncertain and very expensive.  

While keeping Gase and trading/dumpling other players, the Jets are primed for a super tank.  There will be a QB available to them in the draft.  

I like Darnold and want to give him a chance, but this roster is too bad, and his first 3 years were too wasted.

If someone were to offer a high pick for him now before the trade deadline, I would do it and roll with Flacco, White and Morgan and fulfill the tank.  

I think Darnold on a new team would agree to an extended contract with a lower year 5, so that the team could develop him and give him a chance.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

This is so much bigger than Gase. This is Woody, an unaccomplished trust fund baby, leaving the franchise to his LESS accomplished brother.  

The Johnsons are a disaster.  

Yep, at this point its like complaining about the color of your car right after it burst into flames while your in it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Really? Get rid of our starting QB, that’s the answer?

How about getting rid of the guy that destroys all careers he touches and finding out what Sam truly is first?

If we keep Gase for another couple years and jettison every player we have, we’ll just look back 2 years from now when Gase is fired and say “damn, we gave away our team for this guy?”

Ok trade Darnold & Gase in a package deal. They deserve each other.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Depends on what you can get, but if you can get a high 2nd you do it in a second. 

They're taking a QB next year anyway, so he's being traded then regardless. 

Two things you have to take into account:

1) will you get more for him now or later (you seem to think more and I agree)

2) will get rid of him make the team better or worse? (I believe worse, and that's a good thing right now)

Just go all in on the tank....no reason to hide it at this point and get Lawrence.

• Upvote 1