Time to Trade Darnold

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

The truth is based on what the Jets did this offseason and the lack of offensive skill players the Jets cannot say they believe in Sam Darnold.  

I believe in Darnold.  Let me repeat I believe in Darnold but the Jets don’t.   They clearly don’t.....

I say trade Darnold now rather than later.  The fact is that the tape on Darnold is NOT GOING to improve for Darnold with these players absent a miracle with Mims, so trade Darnold now while his value is best.  

STFU

21 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

The truth is based on what the Jets did this offseason and the lack of offensive skill players the Jets cannot say they believe in Sam Darnold.  

I believe in Darnold.  Let me repeat I believe in Darnold but the Jets don’t.   They clearly don’t.....

I say trade Darnold now rather than later.  The fact is that the tape on Darnold is NOT GOING to improve for Darnold with these players absent a miracle with Mims, so trade Darnold now while his value is best.  

So punish sam and maybe our future because we believe JD knows all? Hard pass 

This is a very tough decision.  My take is Sam has some real talent and could be a very good NFL QB.  He also doesn't appear to be the mentally tough big picture guy to lead at an elite level without a lot of development.  He was also hyped by one of the great hype machines in college football USC.  

He needs to sit and learn, possibly for a couple of years.  The problem with that is the rookie salary cap will be over and before he proves it he will get paid big money.  

The drafting of Morgan was a sign of hedging by Douglas.  They clearly like him which is why they haven't thrown him to the wolves and are trotting in a washed up Vet.  The fact that they are willing to protect Morgan and run out Sam, when healthy, who clearly isn't ready to play at the NFL level with the current construction of this team speaks volumes. 

I suspect Sam will be moved.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Extremely difficult for a QB to come into a team mid-season and make an impact. Darnold is gone this off season.

If this is the plan I wouldn't play him another down in a NY Jets uniform. 

I would be playing White-Morgan to see if there's anything there. 

Flacco we all know his career is over. 

I would even consider signing Josh Rosen. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If this is the plan I wouldn't play him another down in a NY Jets uniform. 

I would be playing White-Morgan to see if there's anything there. 

Flacco we all know his career is over. 

I would even consider signing Josh Rosen. 

I did make a bold prediction that we've seen the last of him in green... we shall see...

But Rosen -- blech. That guy makes Geno look like Joe Montana.

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know how anybody complains about locker room culture and then suggests signing Josh Rosen.  Do you think the team needs a player to aim their hate at instead of the coaches and front office?

The locker room culture here is created by Adam Gase and no one else. 

This team is undisciplined and unprepared for games. 

The last time I checked we needed a QB, Joe Flacco is not the answer.

It looks like to me JD wasted a 4th round pick on a QB who might never see the field when we needed a WR. 

The future is so bright here this will be how many rebuilds, I lost count. 

oh...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30115789/nfl-trade-deadline-offers-13-proposals-players-get-dealt-2020-including-sam-darnold-dwayne-haskins-zach-ertz#darnold 

Trading Darnold could be a win-win. The Jets would add a second-round selection and earn a conditional pick if, say, Darnold makes the Pro Bowl in 2021. In trading Darnold and turning the reins over to Joe Flacco and fourth-rounder James Morgan this season, they would be better positioned to follow through on that possible 0-8 start and come away with the first overall pick. The Colts could land on their quarterback of the future; and if Rivers struggles, they might even find their quarterback of the present.

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The locker room culture here is created by Adam Gase and no one else. 

This team is undisciplined and unprepared for games. 

The last time I checked we needed a QB, Joe Flacco is not the answer.

It looks like to me JD wasted a 4th round pick on a QB who might never see the field when we needed a WR. 

The future is so bright here this will be how many rebuilds, I lost count. 

What on earth does any of this have to do with signing the poor man's Jimmy Clausen?

If this is all about getting rid of the old wood so you can get your own guys esp at Qb OK. But Gase has actually said only good things about Darnold since arriving. I think a smart management keeps good players even guys they never drafted or traded for and builds on that. I mean how many five years plans do they think fans want to accept. 

23 hours ago, AFJF said:

***SPOILER ALERT***

The answer is first.  They will be picking first.

Okay, a question to you and those who follow Clemson football closer than I do (U of M, all the way - Row that boat!!):

Putting aside the what if's and assuming that we get the #1 pick and he doesn't return to school, Is TL projected to be THAT much better than Sam was coming out?  Is he really a 'transcendental', once in a generation QB?  

A couple of the scouting reports I read seemed similar to those of Sam.  Kind of the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

And to respond to the topic - No, I don't think we should trade him now.  As others have mentioned, his trade value sucks now and, frankly the plan is (or should be to Joe) obvious and good - Get rid of Gase; give him an OC who actually has success with QB's other than PM; then sign/draft a couple of studs on offense and turn him loose. 

59 minutes ago, 50 Years & Counting said:

Okay, a question to you and those who follow Clemson football closer than I do (U of M, all the way - Row that boat!!):

Putting aside the what if's and assuming that we get the #1 pick and he doesn't return to school, Is TL projected to be THAT much better than Sam was coming out?  Is he really a 'transcendental', once in a generation QB?  

A couple of the scouting reports I read seemed similar to those of Sam.  Kind of the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

And to respond to the topic - No, I don't think we should trade him now.  As others have mentioned, his trade value sucks now and, frankly the plan is (or should be to Joe) obvious and good - Get rid of Gase; give him an OC who actually has success with QB's other than PM; then sign/draft a couple of studs on offense and turn him loose. 

The devil you know is not always better.  If you know he isn't the guy, move on sooner than later.  Darnold's trade value is not the lowest it can be.  Next year is his last reasonable contract year.  I get thinking the kid can still turn out, but even if he does you are looking at a Kirk Cousins contract from 2022 onward.  Lawrence may not be any better, but he will probably be much cheaper.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

The devil you know is not always worse.  If you know he isn't the guy, move on sooner than later.  Darnold's trade value is not the lowest it can be.  Next year is his last reasonable contract year.  I get thinking the kid can still turn out, but even if he does you are looking at a Kirk Cousins contract from 2022 onward.  Lawrence may not be any better, but he will probably be much cheaper.

Sam Darnold has done nothing here, won nothing here. 

What did you buy his jersey.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Same can be said for Sam Darnold. 

So you think Joe Flacco is the answer? 

Sam Darnold's career a/ypa is 6.1 and TD:INT is 39:32.  Even in his sh*tty stint in Denver Flacco was way better.  These guys may not be the answer but there is no reason to go from bad to worse.  You should go back to trumpeting Manziel.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sam Darnold's career a/ypa is 6.1 and TD:INT is 39:32.  Even in his sh*tty stint in Denver Flacco was way better.  These guys may not be the answer but there is no reason to go from bad to worse.  You should go back to trumpeting Manziel.

What has Sam Darnold won here. He's worse than he was his rookie season. We need a QB and being they don't grow on trees I figured we should try anything, you know like MM and JD did with Doctson,Khalil and others turn over every stone until you find something decent. 

Id rather watch Josh Rosen compete for a spot than Joe Flacco go through the motions. 

Id much rather watch James Morgan and see if JD has any brains with his 4th pick. 

while i don;t have confidence in Sam,THAT is actually irrelevant.

what's relevant is, Do Gase and JD have confidenceand arethey trying to protect Sam?

I actually think the conservative play calling is an evidence that they WANT to protect Sam from 3rd and long.

Being more aggressiverequires Sam to be in the pocket longer., The OL isn't THAT much improved. 

We were going with 2nd/3rd choice RB. only 1 starting WR. 

So, i think that GAse and JD are doing whatever they can to field some players that can make plays, and OL that can passpro to see what Sam can do the rest of the waythis season and NEXT as well... 

1 hour ago, 50 Years & Counting said:

I haven’t heard anyone (former QBs, players, GMs, draft experts) suggest Darnold is a better prospect than Lawrence.

PFF projects a franchise “will be changed forever” with the selection of Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who they tout as the best QB prospect in college football history.

This doesn’t mean Lawrence will be a HOF but he would immediately be the best NFL prospect this organization has ever had. That gives me hope. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What has Sam Darnold won here. He's worse than he was his rookie season. We need a QB and being they don't grow on trees I figured we should try anything, you know like MM and JD did with Doctson,Khalil and others turn over every stone until you find something decent. 

Id rather watch Josh Rosen compete for a spot than Joe Flacco go through the motions. 

Id much rather watch James Morgan and see if JD has any brains with his 4th pick. 

I’d much rather watch James Morgan play and lead us to 0-16.

However you can’t deal Darnold now. God forbid they do and end up with the 4th pick. Then we reach for a QB or have none at all. 

Just now, KINGDIRK said:

I haven’t heard anyone (former QBs, players, GMs, draft experts) suggest Darnold is a better prospect than Lawrence.

PFF projects a franchise “will be changed forever” with the selection of Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who they tout as the best QB prospect in college football history.

This doesn’t mean Lawrence will be a HOF but he would immediately be the best NFL prospect this organization has ever had. That gives me hope. 

Absolutely agree and you build around him starting with the OL then WR's. 

Trevor Lawrence or bust 2021

On 10/14/2020 at 8:57 AM, Charlie Brown said:

I don’t want to get rid of Darnold!!!!

I don’t!!

I am in the minority i think that he can be great.  It is just IMO that the Jets Management doesn’t agree or they would have made sure to get him some skill players. 

And all i am saying is  if they don’t believe in him move in from him now while he still has some trade value! Cause absent a miracle he won’t after this season. 

I agree with this 100%.  I also think Sam can be great.  We need to rid our franchise of this toxic HC.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Absolutely agree and you build around him starting with the OL then WR's. 

Trevor Lawrence or bust 2021

Let me dream.

We earn the right to draft Lawrence. We then sign Allen Robinson. Give Lawrence, Robinson and Crowder his first year with us? With a late 1, the top pick in round 2 to add another OL or another skill position player.

I know it sounds crazy to look at the bright side during one of our worst years ever, but we land Lawrence and everything changes. 

Just now, KINGDIRK said:

Let me dream.

We earn the right to draft Lawrence. We then sign Allen Robinson. Give Lawrence, Robinson and Crowder his first year with us? With a late 1, the top pick in round 2 to add another OL or another skill position player.

I know it sounds crazy to look at the bright side during one of our worst years ever, but we land Lawrence and everything changes. 

We also sign Ju-Ju Smith Schuster we are immediately a 110% better NFL team