Time to Trade Darnold

50 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think that it is no contest that Darnold is FAR better than Andy Dalton.  I saw Darnold crush a far better team than them in Dallas last year with nothing around him and I just saw Dalton look like crap against a team that the Jets looked world's better against with NOBODY out there.

You put Darnold on Dallas and you see what happens! 

LOOOOLLLLLLOLLLLLLLLL

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, slats said:

I think Darnold’s value right now is at its low point. Now is not the time to trade him. I’d keep playing him and hope for the best for both him and the team, and reevaluate after the year. If they’re in a #1 overall type position and decide to make the change at QB, they need to move Darnold before the draft, though, and not do it the way Arizona traded Rosen. 

OK but doesn't that LOWER his value. Everybody at that point knows if we get the #1 Darnold is a goner and we will be taking Trevor. Trading him before the draft does nothing  to increase his value. Any willing trade partner knows they have the upper hand and would try and get a bargain.  His value is highest NOW. If your reasoning is 'see how it works out for him this year' that's a different story. But then you are risking the #1 pick and you're pretty much stuck with Darnold. If you keep playing him over the course of the year (the next 2 games, Bills & KC are pretty much losses with or w/o Darnold) you risk the chance of winning a few games and falling out of the #1 spot.  W/O Darnold, we are primed for the #1: a very tough schedule, an over the hill backup QB, a terrible HC, an undisciplined team and a terrible roster littered with injuries. . With or w/o Darnold this team is going nowhere this year or next. And in year 5 his contract shoots up to 25M.  I could see 3-4 games Darnold could win with the remaining schedule.  Worst case scenario, he wins those 3-4 and we are knocked down the draft. We are then pretty much stuck with Darnold or may even have to take a lesser QB prospect in Fields or Lance.  Trade him now or over the next few weeks and you should be able to get a #1 for him and you dont look back.  W/O Darnold , the odds of the Jets even winning one game are extremely remote.  These teams are really the only ones who could be possible trade partners, now or after the season, and of course that's pushing it since some may decide to stay put. Broncos, Pats, Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, Colts, Jags are really the only teams who may want to deal.  Every other team right now is set.   

5 hours ago, jgb said:

LOOOOLLLLLLOLLLLLLLLL

Laugh now but remember this.  Folks last year were saying Robbie Anderson was just a JAG now he is one of the top 3 WR in yards in the entire NFL....

Yea they were laughing at folks out here saying RA was NOTHING——but who is laughing now.

So we shall see.... :) 

On 10/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, Sammybighead said:

Really? Get rid of our starting QB, that’s the answer?

How about getting rid of the guy that destroys all careers he touches and finding out what Sam truly is first?

If we keep Gase for another couple years and jettison every player we have, we’ll just look back 2 years from now when Gase is fired and say “damn, we gave away our team for this guy?”

Trade Sam for value.  

I agree Sam can be a good QB on a good team, but the Jets have a good chance of landing the best QB prospect perhaps in history.  Trading same now helps the Jets get to 0-16.  Keeping Gase until the end of 2020 helps the Jets get to 0-16

Trade Sam, have JD hire his own HC and begin new with Trevor Lawrence in 2021 and a boatload of draft picks. 

On 10/14/2020 at 8:57 AM, Charlie Brown said:

I don’t want to get rid of Darnold!!!!

I don’t!!

I am in the minority i think that he can be great.  It is just IMO that the Jets Management doesn’t agree or they would have made sure to get him some skill players. 

And all i am saying is  if they don’t believe in him move in from him now while he still has some trade value! Cause absent a miracle he won’t after this season. 

You absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, cannot move Sam until we know we have the #1 pick. Otherwise he is our QB for the long haul. Have you forgotten we haven't had a QB that we drafted so high with all of the tools he has since Namath? That's the 60s! Why would you want to get rid of Sam, have no backup plan, and if we don't get Trevor we'll have to figure something else out. That would be the quickest way keep us in a hole for a long time. Sam is only 23 and can be a really good QB if given the tools AND a good coach. Only move Sam if Trevor is our pick, but we would have to be certain we have the pick. We could easily pick after #1 since half the league is tanking for Trevor right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 10/14/2020 at 8:39 AM, Charlie Brown said:

The truth is based on what the Jets did this offseason and the lack of offensive skill players the Jets cannot say they believe in Sam Darnold.  

I believe in Darnold.  Let me repeat I believe in Darnold but the Jets don’t.   They clearly don’t.....

I say trade Darnold now rather than later.  The fact is that the tape on Darnold is NOT GOING to improve for Darnold with these players absent a miracle with Mims, so trade Darnold now while his value is best.  

Time to fire Gase.  Darnold needs to be supported.  We have to prove not only to ourselves but also to the potential FA's that we want to win.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:44 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

The problem is, [Darnold] is struggling with his accuracy, his durability—so they're in a tough spot. And if everyone knows the Jets are taking a quarterback, then they won't get as much back."

The Arizona Cardinals used the 10th overall pick on Josh Rosen in 2018. One year later, they settled for a 2019 second-round pick and a 2020 fifth-rounder for Rosen in a trade with the Miami Dolphins. Once everyone perceived the Cardinals coveted Kyler Murray, teams were going to drive a hard bargain.

And the same thing would presumably happen with Darnold. This is the price the Jets would have to pay for their failures with regard to Darnold's development.

why is Flores not being excoriated for not "developing" Rosen? This whole teflon Sam thing is pretty unprecedented, never has an onverdrafted QB been made into a martyr in this fashion. Sam is apparently a robot that is controlled by his coaches, he is not actually in control of his body or his performance? wtf?

• Thumb Down 1

Here's the thing people on the "trade Darnold" train are ignoring. 

Imagine if you trade Darnold, Flacco gets cute and revives "elite Joe Flacco" for 2-3 games, miss out on Lawrence and Darnold becomes a franchise QB for the Colts?

It's pretty clear to me at this point. Either Sam will show some levels of improvement which will likely result in drafting outside of #1, or the Jets will land #1 which will mean Darnold continued to play poorly and the Jets end up trading him for what is likely to be a 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think that it is no contest that Darnold is FAR better than Andy Dalton.  I saw Darnold crush a far better team than them in Dallas last year with nothing around him and I just saw Dalton look like crap against a team that the Jets looked world's better against with NOBODY out there.

You put Darnold on Dallas and you see what happens! 

Listen, I have always believed in Darnold's potential and still think he can turn into a really good QB down the road. But you can't point to one game. Browning Nagle threw for over 350 yards and no picks in his first career game. Anything can happen in one game. When evaluating a player, you need to look for consistency

Game in and game out, Darnold hasn't been consistently good. He's shown flashes of being awesome and flashes of being terrible. I think it's fair to say that, with his physical talent, he could be better than Andy Dalton one day. Maybe. Maybe not. 

But, being a good QB comes down to consistently making good decisions and delivering the ball accurately. Darnold hasn't come close to doing that yet.

Meanwhile, Andy Dalton has made pro bowls. You have to be fair. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Meanwhile, Andy Dalton has made pro bowls. You have to be fair. 

This is the key line in what you posted and the key words are "has made" means past tense and when he was doing that in the past, he had ALL PRO WR & RB talent around him too....!  

Sam to me is better than what we saw out of Dalton last weekend.....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is the key line in what you posted and the key words are "has made" means past tense and when he was doing that in the past, he had ALL PRO WR & RB talent around him too....!  

Ok. Maybe. This isn't saying much though, is it? 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Sam has played exactly like that that numerous times and has never achieved "Good Andy/Good Fitz"levels....

so far he has been poor. he has had as many bottom tier games as he has top. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Broncos, Pats, Steelers, Raiders, Cowboys, Colts, Jags are really the only teams who may want to deal.  Every other team right now is set.   

I saw a Cowboys' fan trade scenario in the live chat while watching the Cowboys v Cardinals and at the time I thought it was crazy but the more I think about it, it could make sense.  The Cowboys are at the top of the NFC East with 2 wins.  Every game that Dalton plays like he did during that game, the more likely they will need to pay Dak.  According to the fan, Jerry Jones doesn't want to pay Dak what he is requesting.  So the trade proposal was Dak and a mid round pick (don't remember what) for Sam Darnold and Quinnen Williams. 

Dak to the Jets: It's risky for the Jets but he is expected to make a full recovery.  This was not a Bridgewater or A. Smith type injury and they turned out fine.   The Jets would also need to have a long term deal in place.  Perhaps a game-by-game incentive in the first year (perhaps $2M per game he plays), with a low base salary.  Jones does not have to deal with signing Dak to a huge contract.  Jets have the space and would be getting a proven franchise QB.

Q to the Cowboys: They have been looking to solidify their defensive line.

Darnold to the Cowboys: As many have said here, he could flourish in an offense with a good offensive line and surrounded by talented players at WR and RB.  Cowboys could provide him all of that to succeed.  He could lead them to the playoffs this year.

With Dak out for the rest of the year, the Jets could still challenge for the number one pick, then trade it away for a haul.  The early trade compensation for Lawrence was 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders. 

With the Seattle trade and giving up the 1st pick, the Jets would be looking at:

• 2 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rd in 2021
  • 3 1st, 2 2nd, 1 3rd in 2022
  • 2 1st, 2 2nd, 1 3rd in 2023

Over the next 3 drafts they would be selecting 19 players in the first 100 picks of each draft (could be 20, considering the 2021 4th rounder could also be in the top 100).  With Dak and Becton in place, the entire starting roster could be overhauled.  Filling in depth and hoping they find some gems with rounds 4-7 and UDFA.

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

I saw a Cowboys' fan trade scenario in the live chat while watching the Cowboys v Cardinals and at the time I thought it was crazy but the more I think about it, it could make sense.  The Cowboys are at the top of the NFC East with 2 wins.  Every game that Dalton plays like he did during that game, the more likely they will need to pay Dak.  According to the fan, Jerry Jones doesn't want to pay Dak what he is requesting.  So the trade proposal was Dak and a mid round pick (don't remember what) for Sam Darnold and Quinnen Williams. 

Dak to the Jets: It's risky for the Jets but he is expected to make a full recovery.  This was not a Bridgewater or A. Smith type injury and they turned out fine.   The Jets would also need to have a long term deal in place.  Perhaps a game-by-game incentive in the first year (perhaps $2M per game he plays), with a low base salary.  Jones does not have to deal with signing Dak to a huge contract.  Jets have the space and would be getting a proven franchise QB.

Q to the Cowboys: They have been looking to solidify their defensive line.

Darnold to the Cowboys: As many have said here, he could flourish in an offense with a good offensive line and surrounded by talented players at WR and RB.  Cowboys could provide him all of that to succeed.  He could lead them to the playoffs this year.

With Dak out for the rest of the year, the Jets could still challenge for the number one pick, then trade it away for a haul.  The early trade compensation for Lawrence was 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders. 

With the Seattle trade and giving up the 1st pick, the Jets would be looking at:

• 2 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rd in 2021
  • 3 1st, 2 2nd, 1 3rd in 2022
  • 2 1st, 2 2nd, 1 3rd in 2023

Over the next 3 drafts they would be selecting 19 players in the first 100 picks of each draft (could be 20, considering the 2021 4th rounder could also be in the top 100).  With Dak and Becton in place, the entire starting roster could be overhauled.  Filling in depth and hoping they find some gems with rounds 4-7 and UDFA.

I might consider sending Darnold and Williams to Dallas for a #1 and #2 in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Just now, Philc1 said:

Jets CANNOT trade Darnold yet:

1. 0.0 guarantee that Lawrence is coming here.  It’s at best a 50/50 shot he doesn’t stay at Clemson

2. Sam will be a better trade asset next year once he plays with a different coach and improved roster here

A GM has to make the decision if Sam Darnold is our QB it seems he is not. 

With or without Trevor Lawrence are you willing to go another year with Darnold at QB or do you move on.

Allen Robinson,Ju-Ju Smith Schuster in free agency JaMaar Chase, Travis Etienne in the draft things could change. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

A GM has to make the decision if Sam Darnold is our QB it seems he is not. 

With or without Trevor Lawrence are you willing to go another year with Darnold at QB or do you move on.

Allen Robinson,Ju-Ju Smith Schuster in free agency JaMaar Chase, Travis Etienne in the draft things could change. 

You can roster both Sam and Trevor.  The Chargers had a similar situation with Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers years ago it worked out fine

• Sympathy 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, ryu79 said:

It's so sad to read that we should accept, welcome and encourage the denigration of our franchise to appease Gase. It implies either complete disengagement or malfeasance by ownership - and the scary thing is that the evidence probably supports that assumption. 

What a bizarre and awful situation. 

A metaphor for the nation at large.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:49 PM, football guy said:

Here's the thing people on the "trade Darnold" train are ignoring. 

Imagine if you trade Darnold, Flacco gets cute and revives "elite Joe Flacco" for 2-3 games, miss out on Lawrence and Darnold becomes a franchise QB for the Colts?

It's pretty clear to me at this point. Either Sam will show some levels of improvement which will likely result in drafting outside of #1, or the Jets will land #1 which will mean Darnold continued to play poorly and the Jets end up trading him for what is likely to be a 2nd round pick.

And if Spartacus had a Piper Cub he could’ve beaten the Roman Legions

On 10/22/2020 at 12:45 AM, Philc1 said:

You can roster both Sam and Trevor.  The Chargers had a similar situation with Drew Brees and Phillip Rivers years ago it worked out fine

I’ll bet you both my kidneys that both Lawrence and Darnold are not Jets next year. 

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2020 at 9:43 AM, THE BARON said:

Trade Sam for value.  

I agree Sam can be a good QB on a good team, but the Jets have a good chance of landing the best QB prospect perhaps in history.  Trading same now helps the Jets get to 0-16.  Keeping Gase until the end of 2020 helps the Jets get to 0-16

Trade Sam, have JD hire his own HC and begin new with Trevor Lawrence in 2021 and a boatload of draft picks. 

I think the question is, if you can turn that top pick into picks 4, 20, and a 1st in 22(JAX, for example) does that make us a good team?

That gives us 6 firsts in the next 2 drafts. Take your elite WR in the top-5(Chase), invest more top picks in the OL. Maybe a RB or TE. You’ll still have high picks you can invest into the D, be it a CB or OLB. 

It’s risky as hell to pass on a QB like Lawrence, but I still believe in Darnold and the idea of cashing in is pretty tempting. My mind might change though depending on what kind of value we could get for Darnold. If it’s a 1st that gives us 2 extra 1sts this year on top of Lawrence plus the 2 next year. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I think the question is, if you can turn that top pick into picks 4, 20, and a 1st in 22(JAX, for example) does that make us a good team?

That gives us 6 firsts in the next 2 drafts. Take your elite WR in the top-5(Chase), invest more top picks in the OL. Maybe a RB or TE. You’ll still have high picks you can invest into the D, be it a CB or OLB. 

It’s risky as hell to pass on a QB like Lawrence, but I still believe in Darnold and the idea of cashing in is pretty tempting. My mind might change though depending on what kind of value we could get for Darnold. If it’s a 1st that gives us 2 extra 1sts this year on top of Lawrence plus the 2 next year. 

Thanks to JD's thrifty trade of a box safety, the Jets are already in position to compete after one more off season.  If they trade Darnold for a 3rd rounder (probably what they will get), if JD does a good job drafting, they can go from worst to first in the division to best in 2021.  Lawrence is so go, I would not even consider passing up on him unless I had a young Aaron Rogers, Mahomes or similar quality QB.  The rules of the game today are so tied into passing and QB's, you can't pass up on Trevor Lawrence.  No way is he "over rated" or "over hyped".  He is the best college QB I have ever seen with respect to qualities needed to excel the NFL.  

IF these idiots win a single game and blow the first overall draft pick out their ass with Trevor Lawrence on the line, I will drive my head through a wall. 

Picking TL is probably not a bad idea, unless the compensation for a trade is a Herschel Walker type deal. It can't be understated how much more talent this team needs and while TL might be great, he can't do it alone. We need assets on this team and fast. While it would have been great to see our rooks play this year it's unfortunate that they all got hurt. We need them healthy for at least the 2nd half of the season to see what we actually have in them. That makes going into next years draft knowing what we still need to work on.