Bell Was Not The Problem... FROM ARTICLE

THE BARON

Eh!

Bell is done.  This article is off.  Powell was far and away the better player than Bell last year.  He looked like a bolt of lightening compared to Bell.

He should have been resigned.

Now, I can't blame Bell for not wanting to be part of the 0-16 tank job, but I can't blame Gase for not featuring Bell either.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/le-veon-bell-was-not-the-problem/ar-BB1a1hZr?ocid=hplocalnews

Le'Veon Bell was not the problem

Tyler Calvaruso  34 mins ago

Winning games has never been Adam Gase’s forte, but few NFL head coaches are better at alienating talented players and tearing rosters apart.

The Jets sent shockwaves through the NFL on Tuesday night, cutting star running back Le’Veon Bell after not being able to find a trade offer to their liking. Bell’s departure was inevitable, but the thought was that he would either be dealt before the trade deadline or cut in the offseason. Instead, New York decided to eliminate the elephant in the room right away.
Such drama is nothing new at One Jets Drive. A player making headlines for either being unhappy or wanting out of the Big Apple is a yearly occurrence at this point. Make no mistake about it, though. It’s not Bell’s fault things ended this way. This one falls squarely on the shoulders of New York’s head coach — as most things tend to these days.

Bell’s time with the Jets did not have to end in a nasty, public divorce. He idolized Curtis Martin growing up and he wanted to be in New York despite years of the team losing. This isn’t a player who wanted more money or was making unrealistic demands that we’re talking about here. Bell wanted to be with the organization, and he wanted to get enough touches so that he could make a difference. The feeling was never mutual on Gase’s end.

Gase did not want to shell out money for a running back as the Jets did with Bell, but Mike Maccagnan made the move anyway. Instead of setting his pride aside and making Bell a focal point of his offense, Gase treated the All-Pro like a rotational player. He did little to feature Bell, who was stuck sharing carries with over the hill Bilal Powell at one point last season. Throughout his 17 games with the Jets, Bell was limited both on the ground and catching passes out of the backfield. Why? Because Gase didn’t play to his strengths.

Gase did the same exact thing with some of his best players in Miami. He thought Jay Ajayi wasn’t playing hard enough, so he shipped him off to Philadelphia. He played favorites and relegated the blossoming Kenyan Drake in favor of veteran Frank Gore, who is now likely to take carries away from rookie La’Mical Perine in New York. He couldn’t stand Jarvis Landry anymore, so he sent him to the Browns. Why did Gase have an issue with Landry? Because he asked for a bigger route tree.

Seriously.

“When I’d go to talk to [Gase] about it, he’d curse me out,” Landry said after being traded, per Bleacher Report. “‘Why are you telling me how to do my job?’ It got to the point where the environment was just awful.”

When the Dolphins fired Gase, some of his former players, Landry included, openly celebrated on social media. Gase didn’t exactly live up to his status as an offensive mastermind in Miami, but it wasn’t the Xs and Os that cost him his first head coaching job. It was his inability to manage personalities in the locker room, and that’s been a theme again with the Jets. Jamal Adams, though he made plenty of his own mistakes before exiting New York, was also critical of the culture Gase created. He and Bell are far from the only examples of Gase clashing with players since arriving in New York.

Frankly, it should have been Gase, not Bell, who was shown the door. Bell was never the problem at One Jets Drive. Now that he’s free of Gase, odds are he’ll find a new home and thrive as Robby Anderson has with the Panthers, Ryan Tannehill has with the Titans and DeVante Parker has under new leadership in Miami, among others.

If there is anyone to blame for Bell’s tenure with the Jets ending in such tumultuous fashion, blame Gase. He never had a chance to return to being the player he once was with Gase running the show.

image.png

this writer has obviously not watched Bell this season.  Lev Bell is a mere shadow of his former self on the field.  He will be barely more than a JAG wherever he lands.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The problem is that when guys like Powell got carries here, they looked markedly faster and more explosive than Bell. 

Let's not pretend that Bell was anything other than disappointing here. 

People say this, I didnt see it at all.  The game he purposely featured Powell when Bell went out, there was no difference other than losing a better pass catcher.  Powell had the worst ypc of his career last year.  Montgomery had the worst ypc of his career.    And guess who is also enjoying the worst ypc of his career?  Frank Gore  Perine is under 4 ypc in his limited role in which we're trying to not stunt his growth.

Is it just coincidence that not a single RB over the past 2 years has average over 4 ypc?  Or maybe there is a common denominator for all these RBs?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The problem is that when guys like Powell got carries here, they looked markedly faster and more explosive than Bell. 

Let's not pretend that Bell was anything other than disappointing here. 

Well, I was NOT going to go here...   i think that is what POwell's zip mouth emoji was about...

HE SAW Bell was washed last year....  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

People say this, I didnt see it at all.  The game he purposely featured Powell when Bell went out, there was no difference other than losing a better pass catcher.  Powell had the worst ypc of his career last year.  Montgomery had the worst ypc of his career.    And guess who is also enjoying the worst ypc of his career?  Frank Gore  Perine is under 4 ypc in his limited role in which we're trying to not stunt his growth.

Is it just coincidence that not a single RB over the past 2 years has average over 4 ypc?  Or maybe there is a common denominator for all these RBs?

Literally all of those guys looked like they were hitting the hole faster than Bell. 

I was shocked by how bad Bell looked as the season progressed last year. I did think he looked decent vs. Arizona this past Sunday. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Literally all of those guys looked like they were hitting the hole faster than Bell. 

I was shocked by how bad Bell looked as the season progressed last year. I did think he looked decent vs. Arizona this past Sunday. 

Literally not of them did but ok. 

• Upvote 1

I stopped reading when the article said "Bell wanted to be in NY". Anyone remember his twitter and the rolled eyes about coming to the Jets. Or the $100m comment he made in order to come to NY? Or, how he tried to play the Jets offer around the league, only not to find another take?

Bell was here foe a payday. And good for him. Stupid teams do stupid things.

The Jets' running game for 2 years has been mindless worthless runs between the tackles, often in long yardage downs. Even with a healthy Becton bulldozing anyone in front of him off to the left, , Gase rarely called plays right behind him. That has been the case no matter who the back is or was. Gase also runs empty backfield shotgun formations habitually on short yardage downs; there's almost no guesswork for a defense. 

• Upvote 2

Wtf.  There’s enough blame to go around. Of course Bell was the problem - the guy flat out admitted he mailed it in after getting his big $$ and runs like he’s in quicksand. 

but yeah, Gase is also the problem.  Too out of box for our big eyed HC to game plan around Bell’s pass catching strengths and make him a bigger part of this talentless offense. 

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thank you!

People don't want to look at these facts..

Please note not one person made mentions that Gase shipped a quality WR out because he asked for a bigger route tree?  This doesn't REMIND ANYONE of anything!!

Say Robbie Anderson!!!

Utter Madness 

• Upvote 2

Wow sounds exactly like what I said three posts ago... no wonder Sam hasn’t tried to challenge Gase at all. Other than the one time last year, where the result was improvement 
Adam gase Is a legend in his own mind. There’s nothing wrong with having a big ego - if it’s justifiable 

• Upvote 2

these articles are always player centric.  i'm not defending gase but bell is a big boy.  he signed a contract to play 4 or 5 seasons for the jets and he got paid handsomely for these two seasons.  i'll give him the benefit of the doubt up to a point then he has to start to own up to his part in what happened.