Mims is alive!

Barkus

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The jets have been woeful at giving meaningful updates on these players to the fans.  We have heard almost nothing about any of the injured guys, thus no reason for future optimism.

Aka we totally whiffed on this draft class and please do us a favor and forget these guys exist. 

Costello was already running interference for the Jets today regarding Mims’ availability as they trot out Jeff Smith and Josh Malone instead. How bad can Mims actually be? Any update on what Becton’s injury is? Why isn’t he on IR if he can’t play?

4 hours ago, derp said:

Mims on the field ending the season well would be awesome. 

I assumed Lewis was going to get hurt and Clark would step in for him but somehow with all the injuries Lewis has stayed healthy. Bet Clark can push Van Roten though.

Van Roten has actually been doing well the last few weeks in which he likely needed time to get his feet under him. The Oline has progressed where pass blocking is decent and the main issue with the Passing game is WRs/TEs that can't get separation or catch. Oline can't easily be judged on the running game up to this point as Gore is old and pretty slow and Bell never panned out especially running from scrimmage. Maybe Perine can let us see if the run blocking is effective. And once hopefully Becton comes back the Oline will be even better. The one thing though we all learned was we said just mainly try to improve the Oline and if nothing else gets better OK. Not OK since the skill position players on O are killing this team. Outside of Crowder who is mostly doubled by teams and should always be, the rest of WRs/TEs I have seen on the field are worse than HS players. We needed better FA with another WR and TE that can actually catch. It didn't happen and it is now making it to where we can't get even average play from our QBs because of it and worse we can't evaluate any QBs with lesser exp. in Darnold or even if we wanted to try the younglings they have not enough weapons to have any consistency driving the field. I bet many on this forum can catch better even on the Jets split out wide running routes as long as the defender didn't take your head off which they are not allowed to do anymore anyhow.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

I’d rather just wait and see him next year. Don’t ruin him. 

Oh for f*ck's sake. 

These guys aren't china dolls. We have to start to see what we have in this rookie draft class. Mims was a critical, critical pick. Time to see this guy get on the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

lmao. Yes, they have to play Josh Malone instead. Is Mims already this much of a bust that they have to cover for him like this? At least activate the player and let him get some EZ looks.

Yeah I don’t get it.  Our current WRs are so good we can’t allow Mims to get run because he hasn’t had enough time to practice the Gase playbook?

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's a legit comment.  No rookie plays without any practice time before hand.  

We don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

Beckham missed all of camp, preseason and the first four games of his rookie season and played week 5. He can run red zone routes. They Jets also dont have any receivers left. If he's not active then it's safe to say his Jets career is trending in the wrong direction. Coupled with Claypool going off last weekend, just a bad look for Douglas.

Jets' Greg Van Roten Graded as Top NFL Guard by Pro Football Focus in Week 5

Green & White RG Has Played All 331 Snaps on Offense in 2020

Jets RG Greg Van Roten was rated Pro Football Focus' top guard in the NFL's Week 5 with an 86.4 grade.

He's one of two Jets players on offense (fellow guard Alex Lewis is the other) who have played all 331 snaps in the season. Van Roten (6-3, 305), who grew up in Rockville Centre on Long Island, signed with the Green & White in the offseason after playing the last three years with Carolina. He was named PFF's most improved player on the Panthers last season and graded out as the 15th left guard in the league.

"It's like a dream come true," he said in the spring. "In elementary school, in my fifth-grade yearbook, 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' 'I want to be an NFL player.' ... Then to come to the Jets and walk around the hallways and see the posters of all the guys I watched growing up has been just incredible so far."

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-greg-van-roten-graded-as-top-nfl-guard-by-pro-football-focus-in-week-5

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

I agree with your comments on the OL.  So many people are killing them, but to my eye, they are much improved from last year.  They may not be good, or even an averge line yet, but they are no longer in the discussion for worst in the league, and the data backs it up.

• 23rd in sacks per game up from 29th last year
  • 20th in percent drop back resulting in sacks; 29th last year
  • 20th in rushing yards per attempt; 32nd last year

Not average yet, but progress from last year.  And this is despite injuries and games missed by both starting tackles.  Football outsiders has us ranked 19th run blocking and 23rd pass blocking, compared with 31 & 30 last year.  Given that we have 4 new starters, and coming off a limited offseason, I expect they will get better as the year goes on.

We had nowhere to go but up from last year....no exaggeration that was some of the worst OL play I saw in my life...goes beyond not being able to block the man in front of you...the amount of miscommunication and missed assignments was alarming. 

But yes this year so far you can see the improvement...esp when Becton was healthy...

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's a legit comment.  No rookie plays without any practice time before hand.  

We don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

Teams literally sign guys sitting on their couch and start them the following week. Look no further than our very own Jets year after year. DT last year, Hogan this year.