Problem is still and always will be the Johnsons

Bugg

29 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

He is not Vito Corleone.  He's fuc*ing Fredo... 

That's where your instincts are wrong.  You think that CJ is calling the shots and he and Douglas are secretly meeting to discuss Gase's future and it's not how it's set up.

Gase is calling the shots, Douglas does what Gase tells him to do, and CJ does exactly what you want him to do-  keeps away from football matters.  Adam Gase is your "football man".  You just haven't figured that out yet.  You'd think the Bell ejection would have been the latest clue.

SAR I

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Except no one calls you disloyal if you walk out of Sharknado halfway through 

We promise we won't call you disloyal if you disappear for a few years and come back when we're good again.  I don't think taking a few years off after all this torture is a big ask, frankly.  I think it's healthy, might be a good thing for many of you.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's where your instincts are wrong.  You think that CJ is calling the shots and he and Douglas are secretly meeting to discuss Gase's future and it's not how it's set up.

Gase is calling the shots, Douglas does what Gase tells him to do, and CJ does exactly what you want him to do-  keeps away from football matters.  Adam Gase is your "football man".  You just haven't figured that out yet.  You'd think the Bell ejection would have been the latest clue.

SAR I

Gase is the wrong guy to be calling the shots.  He has CJ duped big time.  

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

We promise we won't call you disloyal if you disappear for a few years and come back when we're good again.  I don't think taking a few years off after all this torture is a big ask, frankly.  I think it's healthy, might be a good thing for many of you.

SAR I

Please when Jets suck is when I really shine

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

hold on justa minnit...

defense wins championships isnt a thing anymore?

Is "defense wins championships" true?

I believe is still does. Offense gets you to the playoffs but defense tends to get you the ring. Even the best offenses are liable to have an off day... defense needs to be there. Kind of like that it’s easier for a team with strong paint play to win NCAA tourney than a team who lives and dies by the 3.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase is the Vito Corleone of Florham Park.  It's obvious.  This "football man" you're begging the Johnson's to hire.  He's already there.

And his instincts are strong.  He whacked his GM and President.  He got himself a wartime consigliere.  The bad players, the lazy players, and the malcontents are lying in holes in the desert.  Florham Park has gone to the mattresses.

SAR I

Except Vito Corleone ran a successful long term enterprise. It's not only about getting rid of your rivals, it's about building something long term that carries on. This is s sheethouse built in sand.

For better or worse to run an NFL team means from time to time you have to deal with malcontents and whack jobs. You cannot run things limiting your personnel to boy scouts. Bill Parcells had a different standard for Lawrence Taylor, as did Jimmy Johnson with Michael Irvin. Not saying anyone Gase has dumped is destined for a bust in Canton, but you fight with the army you have. 

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

hold on justa minnit...

defense wins championships isnt a thing anymore?

Nope.

A good quarterback and a set of great WR's eliminates the front seven, and if there is no talent in the secondary it's open season.  The NFL could save themselves a lot of time and money by putting Jersey barriers where the OL's and DL's are, line up 6-on-6, and just throw on every down.

Quarterbacks, WR's, and DB's.  That's all the NFL is.  All the other players are just window dressing.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Gase is the wrong guy to be calling the shots.  He has CJ duped big time.  

Now that's the actual conversation.

Not Gase-As-Offensive-Guru.  It's Gase-As-Team-Dictator. 

Is he the right guy for that?  Evidence so far shows he may be.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I believe is still does. Offense gets you to the playoffs but defense tends to get you the ring. Even the best offenses are liable to have an off day... defense needs to be there. Kind of like that it’s easier for a team with strong paint play to win NCAA tourney than a team who lives and dies by the 3.

Like KC coming back form big deficits multiple times in the playoffs? or the Pats blowing past the Falcons? Not saying defense isn't important, but it is overvalued. By design how the rules are written and enforced, the NFL wants scoring. Defenses no matter how good their personnel or scheme are going to fail several times every game; THAT'S THE IDEA. If you want to invest in safeties  and run-stopping DTs over QBs, LTs, and WRS, that's on you. You aren't serious. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Like KC coming back form big deficits multiple times in the playoffs? or the Pats blowing past the Falcons? Not saying defense isn't important, but it is overvalued. By design how the rules are written and enforced, the NFL wants scoring. Defenses no matter how good their personnel or scheme are going to fail several times every game; THAT'S THE IDEA. If you want to invest in safeties  and run-stopping DTs over QBs, LTs, and WRS, that's on you. You aren't serious. 

Yes I agree there are examples in both sides but I’d still bet on a balanced team over a lopsided one with great O and terrible D over the course of the playoffs when it’s one loss and done. In a single game, the great O team has the advantage but hard to string several wins together against the other best NFL teams when your defense sucks. At some point you’ll probably have to win one slobber knocker to get to promised land.

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Except Vito Corleone ran a successful long term enterprise. It's not only about getting rid of your rivals, it's about building something long term that carries on. This is s sheethouse built in sand.

For better or worse to run an NFL team means from time to time you have to deal with malcontents and whack jobs. You cannot run things limiting your personnel to boy scouts. Bill Parcells had a different standard for Lawrence Taylor, as did Jimmy Johnson with Michael Irvin. Not saying anyone Gase has dumped is destined for a bust in Canton, but you fight with the army you have. 

I agree, but who have we lost that actually would help us in, say, 2022 when we're ready to actually compete again?

Osemele is 31 and always injured.

Bell is done.

Adams plays the wrong position for a max deal.

Trumaine took our money and checked out.

Mosley is still under contract and may be convinced to play next season.

So I don't see some magnificent foundation of expensive FA veterans here that would help us right now or in the future when we're good again.  And Mosley isn't a closed book yet.  Maybe the virus really was a concern to him.  Maybe he will play like a beast next year.  This isn't Gase failing to get guys to play for him.  It's Gase getting rid of very bad FA signings who have no value and Adams working his way to the Cowboys.  And Crowder, Gore, Fant, McGovern, and Van Roten are playing hard.  They're not faking injuries or whining.  Gase is managing them well.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Now that's the actual conversation.

Not Gase-As-Offensive-Guru.  It's Gase-As-Team-Dictator. 

Is he the right guy for that?  Evidence so far shows he may be.

SAR I

Well... If CJ is stuck on Gase, then Trevor Lawrence becomes an imperative.  Sam Darnold is talented, but he is not the rigth QB for the system Gase wants to run.  However, Trevor Lawrence would be ideal... 

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Well... If CJ is stuck on Gase, then Trevor Lawrence becomes an imperative.  Sam Darnold is talented, but he is not the rigth QB for the system Gase wants to run.  However, Trevor Lawrence would be ideal... 

If that's the case then this season is playing out perfectly. Gase and Christopher Johnson are taking massive credibility hits, but the end result will have us go 0-16, get Lawrence, and see the 2021 Jets in a great place for a rebuilding team in its second year.  

The only tradeoff between a 0 win Jets team and a 5 win Jets team is our sanity for draft position.  Maybe its a worthy sacrifice.  In a pandemic year where fans aren't spending any money, hmm, seems like a smart idea.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If that's the case then this season is playing out perfectly. Gase and Christopher Johnson are taking massive credibility hits, but the end result will have us go 0-16, get Lawrence, and see the 2021 Jets in a great place for a rebuilding team in its second year.  

The only tradeoff between a 0 win Jets team and a 5 win Jets team is our sanity for draft position.  Maybe its a worthy sacrifice.  In a pandemic year where fans aren't spending any money, hmm, seems like a smart idea.

SAR I

Could very well be.  If they go 0-16 they will wind up with TL and be loaded for bear with all the other draft pics. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

I just like to be a fool. I tend to shy from these blanket statements.

Whatever formula you have that wins is what wins.  Sometimes is really balanced,other times it's obvious that one side oftheball is the strength...