Underestimating the Damage. Indifferent to the Fans

TMAC

By now, most of us are conditioned to a loss each and every Sunday.  We expect it and even welcome losses with the hopes of getting a very high draft choice.  But it appears that severe damage is being done to this franchise.  Damage that will last long after Adam Gase has finally been shown the door.  What does Chris Johnson, CEO, actually do?  The last time we heard from him he was singing Adam Gase's praises to the astonishment of everyone.  When I think of him, the image of Nero fiddling while Rome burned comes to mind.  I just don't get it.  The Texans and the Falcons jettisoned coaches with infinitely better track records and qualifications than Barney Google Gase.  What the hell is wrong with this franchise?  As the losses mount up, the feelings of despair and disgust will mount.  If I was the owner, I would care about this.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TMAC said:

By now, most of us are conditioned to a loss each and every Sunday.  We expect it and even welcome losses with the hopes of getting a very high draft choice.  But it appears that severe damage is being done to this franchise.  Damage that will last long after Adam Gase has finally been shown the door.  What does Chris Johnson, CEO, actually do?  The last time we heard from him he was singing Adam Gase's praises to the astonishment of everyone.  When I think of him, the image of Nero fiddling while Rome burned comes to mind.  I just don't get it.  The Texans and the Falcons jettisoned coaches with infinitely better track records and qualifications than Barney Google Gase.  What the hell is wrong with this franchise?  As the losses mount up, the feelings of despair and disgust will mount.  If I was the owner, I would care about this.

Firing a head coach in mid season is generally viewed as a waste of time that accomplishes nothing

He'll get fired, whenever it is nothing changes until next season.  Theres no real point in repeating the same question about why he hasn't been fired 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alka said:

We don't know what is happening behind the scene.  It's possible that Chris Johnson wants to fire Gase, but Joe Douglas might be telling him to wait.  I'm sure that Johnson is confiding with Joe Douglas, and that they have a game plan.

That would be the only thing that makes sense.

Or they’re just cheap schmucks who refuse to pay two ex-HCs at the same time no matter how badly they suck

9 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Dude - It doesn't matter what happens. Fans keep running back and paying their PSLs and Season Tickets regardless of the dumpster fire put in front of them every year. Not a single NFL team loses money. Not one. They could give 2 fux about the fan base. 

They make more money by sucking. Every dollar below the cap or not spent on qualified executives goes right into Woody’s pocket.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Jets aren’t trying to pay two head coaches and two GMs at the same time

They already are paying two HCs. Fire Gase and they’ll be paying 3 lol.

Pro tip: Hire good ones and you’ll only have to pay one at a time and for less than the combined salary of 3 schmucks.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Ownership is incompetent.  They don’t believe in finding a good GM and letting him pick the coach.  Instead Idzik had to inherit Rex, Bowles was hired and MacCagnan basically was told if he wants the job that is his coach and Douglas was basically given Gase as well.   Also don’t forget the Jets ownership when interviewing coaches two years ago wanted to have a major say in the coaching staff.   

Two years ago this was a hot job.  Darnold had one year under Bowles and showed potential.  There were some other players like Anderson and Adams.  Instead the Jets rejected McCarthy and other coaches wanted to basically form their staffs for them.  So we ended up with Gase.  

This time around what coach wants to come here?  The ownership is a disaster.  The fans are fed.  Some of them are also jerks and will put up billboards of your dressed as a clown.  

There was an article somewhere recently that had one agent saying he wouldn’t let his guy coach the Jets.  This is an organization that ruins people’s careers.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

They already are paying two HCs. Fire Gase and they’ll be paying 3 lol.

Pro tip: Hire good ones and you’ll only have to pay one at a time and for less than the combined salary of 3 schmucks.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

The coaches salaries are inconsequential (or at least should be) for the Johnsons. If this Hymie guy (team president) is in CJs ear he is explaining to him fan base apathy poses far greater financial risk. 

Gase is now reaching toxic levels and much to CJs chagrin he’s going to be forced to pull the plug soon. The Johnsons are a bit more aloof/out of touch than most owners, but even they are self-aware to know that they need to make a move to change the narrative around the team. 

Gase is getting eviscerating to the point that people are comparing him to Kotite. The guy (his fault or not) is a PR disaster and has been since he got here. The writing is on the wall. It just comes down to CJs breaking point. 

At this point NFL football, like the NBA has moved on from needing good teams in the NY market.  Being an owner in the NFL is like buying a mutual fund that mimics the entire stock market.  You're not buying a team you're buying a piece of the entire NFL.  A large basket of teams and sharing the profits.  The market goes up because some companies over perform even though some are going under.  Football fans will turn on a Jets or Giant games to see stars on other teams perform, make bets or have a fantasy football interest outside of the actual game results.

Granted if I rip my eyeballs out of my head watching the Jets or drink to the point I can no longer earn a living and afford to buy the crap advertisers want me to buy that might reduce revenue at some point.  While I'm still able to function ads for booze and drugs will continue to bring in huge amounts of revenue from the NY market.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Alka said:

We don't know what is happening behind the scene.  It's possible that Chris Johnson wants to fire Gase, but Joe Douglas might be telling him to wait.  I'm sure that Johnson is confiding with Joe Douglas, and that they have a game plan.

That would be the only thing that makes sense.

Rule #1.  The Jets never have a plan.  

3 hours ago, GreekJet said:

The coaches salaries are inconsequential (or at least should be) for the Johnsons. If this Hymie guy (team president) is in CJs ear he is explaining to him fan base apathy poses far greater financial risk. 

Gase is now reaching toxic levels and much to CJs chagrin he’s going to be forced to pull the plug soon. The Johnsons are a bit more aloof/out of touch than most owners, but even they are self-aware to know that they need to make a move to change the narrative around the team. 

Gase is getting eviscerating to the point that people are comparing him to Kotite. The guy (his fault or not) is a PR disaster and has been since he got here. The writing is on the wall. It just comes down to CJs breaking point. 

Look up "penny wise, pound foolish" in the dictionary to see a photo of the Johnson brothers.

I think the more likely scenario is...

1) They knew they were doing a tear down

2) Gase was very much a part of that process and plan - so they're committed to him

3) Gase convinced them - even with the tear down he'll keep them competitive (his massive ego would have him saying this)

My guess is they're holding on as long as they can hoping Gase can turn it around enough so they can keep him next year.  I truly believe their goal is still to keep him next year.  Right now I'm sure he's pitching CJ how he has the team practicing really hard and he knows they're going to go on a run like last year.

He clearly has Chris believe in his genius.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don’t think that the plan is to fire Gase UNLESS the losses keep getting uglier and uglier, Gase loses the locker room, and the public outcry is so loud that it forces CJ’s hand.

probability of all this happening is quite high however.

Totally agree about losing the locker room.  Losing games is one thing but when the team deserts the coach then it ceases to be a team.

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think the more likely scenario is...

1) They knew they were doing a tear down

2) Gase was very much a part of that process and plan - so they're committed to him

3) Gase convinced them - even with the tear down he'll keep them competitive (his massive ego would have him saying this)

My guess is they're holding on as long as they can hoping Gase can turn it around enough so they can keep him next year.  I truly believe their goal is still to keep him next year.  Right now I'm sure he's pitching CJ how he has the team practicing really hard and he knows they're going to go on a run like last year.

He clearly has Chris believe in his genius.

Or, they are terrified that putting Williams in charge of a squad, as he tries to build his own resume for future opportunity, lays total waste to the well being of the roster. 

My hope is that they seemingly have Gase under control right now as it pertains to personnel deployment and when they play. The only hope left for this season is that no one does any further damage to what few assets they have left.

• Upvote 1

As much as I want to believe it because of their horrible play, the truth is the players haven't quit, they are just not good enough to win. 

Crowder is playing his azz off. Fant is playing hard, McGovern, Gore, Maye, I haven't seen lack of Effort. The younger guys are playing terrible, Herndon, Jeff Smith, Wesco, Shepard, but Becton was playing hard. 

With Bell gone & Mosely opted out the guys left on this team won't give up on Gase. They are fighting for their professional futures right now with Joe Douglas watching. They just cut Le'veon Bell, no ones safe! 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, TMAC said:

The Texans and the Falcons jettisoned coaches with infinitely better track records and qualifications than Barney Google Gase.  What the hell is wrong with this franchise?

O'Brien and Quinn coached 6 seasons and were managing teams infinitely more talented and with established franchise quarterbacks.

Adam Gase has coached 1 season with what is considered the worst roster in the league that's always injured and with an unproven quarterback that isn't of his choosing.

O'Brien and Quinn had 6+ years to show that they were right for the job.  Talk to me about your disappointment with Gase when he has a legitimate roster and more than 1 season.

Gase isn't your problem.  Maccagnan is.  And will be for quite some time.  We don't need to fire people.  We need to hire people.  Players.  Lots of them.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

O'Brien and Quinn coached 6 seasons and were managing teams infinitely more talented and with established franchise quarterbacks.

Adam Gase has coached 1 season with what is considered the worst roster in the league that's always injured and with an unproven quarterback that isn't of his choosing.

O'Brien and Quinn had 6+ years to show that they were right for the job.  Talk to me about your disappointment with Gase when he has a legitimate roster and more than 1 season.

Gase isn't your problem.  Maccagnan is.  And will be for quite some time.  We don't need to fire people.  We need to hire people.  Players.  Lots of them.

SAR I

Hire players? We tried that. They all want to leave, maybe it is or maybe it isn’t him, but it’s happen in both places he was the head coach. Also seems like nobody who gets hurt really tries to come back and play anytime soon. Maybe they are pussies, possibly medical staff suck or maybe they are totally and completely uninspired. I honestly don’t know, starting to care less and less. But starting to seem less and less that anyone wants to take a paper cut, let alone a bullet for this head coach. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

At this point NFL football, like the NBA has moved on from needing good teams in the NY market.  Being an owner in the NFL is like buying a mutual fund that mimics the entire stock market.  You're not buying a team you're buying a piece of the entire NFL.  A large basket of teams and sharing the profits.  The market goes up because some companies over perform even though some are going under.  Football fans will turn on a Jets or Giant games to see stars on other teams perform, make bets or have a fantasy football interest outside of the actual game results.

Granted if I rip my eyeballs out of my head watching the Jets or drink to the point I can no longer earn a living and afford to buy the crap advertisers want me to buy that might reduce revenue at some point.  While I'm still able to function ads for booze and drugs will continue to bring in huge amounts of revenue from the NY market.

Big tip on that is when the NFL started allowing Jets and Giants games to run at the same time. That simply was never done until very recently. The local team matter less and less to viewers. fans don't really factor into it any more. It's all about TV. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hire players? We tried that. They all want to leave, maybe it is or maybe it isn’t him, but it’s happen in both places he was the head coach. Also seems like nobody who gets hurt really tries to come back and play anytime soon. Maybe they are pussies, possibly medical staff suck or maybe they are totally and completely uninspired. I honestly don’t know, starting to care less and less. But starting to seem less and less that anyone wants to take a paper cut, let alone a bullet for this head coach. 

What you're describing would be the biggest lockerroom revolt in NFL history and there is no way that the vicious NY media wouldn't have been tipped off and reporting 'anonymous' leaks by now.  

When you're a bad team, the only guys you can attract are bottom of the barrel.  And that's not just ability, that's character too.  Those looking for an unrealistic payday and/or checked out.  Those who feel they paid their dues already, have multiple homes and Ferrari's, and don't want to get hit anymore.  

The exodus you're seeing aren't players sick of Gase; they're players Gase is sick of.  To date, every player that's gone deserves to be gone.  Osemele didn't want to play with an injury.  Trumaine was an awful player looking at us as retirement.  Mosley is laughing his ass off on our dime.  Jamal never wanted to be drafted by anyone other than Dallas.  Bell is done and Gase knew it before he took his first snap.  

Maccagnan's mistakes are epic.  Don't blame the coach.  Gase is the biggest victim on the whole team, this pile of sh-t he's been given.  He's doing what needs to be done.  You can't win with players who don't want to play.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

What you're describing would be the biggest lockerroom revolt in NFL history and there is no way that the vicious NY media wouldn't have been tipped off and reporting 'anonymous' leaks by now.  

When you're a bad team, the only guys you can attract are bottom of the barrel.  And that's not just ability, that's character too.  Those looking for an unrealistic payday and/or checked out.  Those who feel they paid their dues already, have multiple homes and Ferrari's, and don't want to get hit anymore.  

The exodus you're seeing aren't players sick of Gase; they're players Gase is sick of.  To date, every player that's gone deserves to be gone.  Osemele didn't want to play with an injury.  Trumaine was an awful player looking at us as retirement.  Mosley is laughing his ass off on our dime.  Jamal never wanted to be drafted by anyone other than Dallas.  Bell is done and Gase knew it before he took his first snap.  

Maccagnan's mistakes are epic.  Don't blame the coach.  Gase is the biggest victim on the whole team, this pile of sh-t he's been given.  He's doing what needs to be done.  You can't win with players who don't want to play.

SAR I

Yes - It's clear to everyone who watches football that Gase's game plans are flawless and his ability to call plays that confuse the defenses is second to none. He is the future of football. Unfortunately, he's not the present of football ...

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

gase can not coexist with good players-we saw it in Miami and saw it here-he thinks he is the smartest football guy in the room when he is not-the players of substance all had problems with him in Miami and now here with the Jets. His ego is writing checks his brain and coaching ability cant cash. The only reason jets are not firing him is because  they dont want to be paying another coach not actually coaching.

Gase while in Miami had problems with Tannehill, Landry, Drake , Cameron Wake, Kenny , Juwuan James , Kenny Stills and even Gore

the name jet players hated him too -adams and bell-guys that know football never like Gase because he is a clown

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

gase can not coexist with good players-we saw it in Miami and saw it here-he thinks he is the smartest football guy in the room when he is not-the players of substance all had problems with him in Miami and now here with the Jets. His ego is writing checks his brain and coaching ability cant cash. The only reason jets are not firing him is because  they dont want to be paying another coach not actually coaching.

Gase while in Miami had problems with Tannehill, Landry, Drake , Cameron Wake, Kenny , Juwuan James , Kenny Stills and even Gore

the name jet players hated him too -adams and bell-guys that know football never like Gase because he is a clown

Gore on this team feels like asking Secretariat to pull a garbage wagon 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

If this was the first time it happen, then I’d give him the benefit of the doubt. If he really needs the “ perfect” players he should retire from coaching, enjoy that fat payday and spend his days masterminding playing Madden. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Every jersey sale is split equally. The jets and the pats and the bucs all make the same cut when Tom Brady sells his 12. Let that sink in and you'll understand why they are this way

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Actually, I believe the Cowboys don't split their jersey profits with the rest of the league.  Jerry went to court on that.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Gore on this team feels like asking Secretariat to pull a garbage wagon 

I feel bad for gore-he was an elite back for years and now he is stuck with the jets to end his career-on the plus side he probably is so miserable the transition to being retired will not be as hard

Maybe I'm being naïve but I really don't think it's hard to turn a franchise around in the NFL.

Look at the Panthers -- a lot of people thought they were tanking this year. Worst defense in the NFL they were saying.

Bring in a good HC, bring in a good OC. Sign a few key pieces, hit on a few draft picks. Turnover the roster.

Team can be totally different overnight.

If we have the first pick and a new coach we could easily look totally different in 2021.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Maybe I'm being naïve but I really don't think it's hard to turn a franchise around in the NFL.

Look at the Panthers -- a lot of people thought they were tanking this year. Worst defense in the NFL they were saying.

Bring in a good HC, bring in a good OC. Sign a few key pieces, hit on a few draft picks. Turnover the roster.

Team can be totally different overnight.

If we have the first pick and a new coach we could easily look totally different in 2021.

Problem is it is now well-known; sensible and smart people do not want to work with the Johnsons. That's been true for 20 years.