Bill Barnwell Proposed Darnold trade at deadline

GreekJet

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Is this etched in stone the way "no way we get a first for Jamal Adams" was?

I never said that, so not sure who you are talking about.

Again, we should have gotten a first and then some for Adams, considering he had been to two pro-bowls in his young career.

Now....about Sam Darnold's accomplishments.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I never said that, so not sure who you are talking about.

Again, we should have gotten a first and then some for Adams, considering he had been to two pro-bowls in his young career.

Now....about Sam Darnold's accomplishments.

Not saying you did but plenty of people said we'd never get a single first.  As did the clowns on TV.

Darnold is all about potential and Id bet that most think he still has the tools and talents needed to be a top QB.  Hes 23, is younger than this past years number 1

A team like a Indy who you would think dont have a shot at a top pick/QB would gladly give up a first and more for someone who is viewed with his talent, if they agree of course

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not saying you did but plenty of people said we'd never get a single first.  As did the clowns on TV.

Darnold is all about potential and Id bet that most think he still has the tools and talents needed to be a top QB.  Hes 23, is younger than this past years number 1

A team like a Indy who you would think dont have a shot at a top pick/QB would gladly give up a first and more for someone who is viewed with his talent, if they agree of course

Again, a team with playoff aspirations whose QB goes down without a solid backup might be willing.

I wouldn't turn down multiple picks for Darnold depending what they were.  To me, a high 2nd and 3rd in the same draft is just as good as a very low 1st.  Just my opinion of course.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That's right.  Teams that need a QB, that are prepared to draft one - will have to ask themselves- Two questions..

1) Is Darnold a better prospect than whoever it is they're going to draft?

and if Yes...

3) Is the gap big enough and/or is his experience valuable enough to take on the extra salary you're going to have to pay him.  It won't be top teir money, but still more expensive.

If the answer to both of those questions are Yes, then they can get a first.  

If not, that same process will go down the chain until there's a round that a team can say Yes to both questions.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I thought a first and a second.  

Then again, Adams actually has done something with his career.

There are a lot of teams needing QBs in the next few years. 
Tampa Bay, Detroit, Redskins, Colts, Steelers, Bears, Vikings. 
QBs always get another chance & we’re not talking about a 27 year old. 
Sam got dealt a sh*t hand here no doubt but if we have the opportunity to reset with a 5 year rookie deal, I don’t think we can pass it up & fans are always clamoring for the next savior to come to town to boost hope & sell tickets. 
We paid the bearded old man 15 million after he brought some fun & entertainment to the team in 2015. 
I think a mid 1st is probably a steal for a team to try & bring Darnold along. At that spot in the draft it’s a total crapshoot anyway & QB is way more important than any other position one of those teams might be looking at. 
It’s not a sin to lose your spot to a hot college QB with Trevor Lawrence pedigree. 
The guy has lost like 1 game in his High School & College career! 

I don't believe Douglas would be so stupid as to trade Sam Darnold before the end of the season, but if he is that dumb, it actually might be my last straw with the franchise. 

I promise to spare the board a drama queen goodbye forever thread, but I really don't know how much more incompetency I can mentally or  emotionally withstand at this point.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

this alone is why we won't trade him to indy.  can you imagine it - they picked up Nelson, Darnold and 2 other 2nd rounders.  lol.

And look at the 2 players the Colts drafted. Quenton Nelson & Darius Leonard in the 2nd round!

Jets have paid 30 million so far for 1/2 of 1 game for CJ Mosely! Lol

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I don't believe Douglas would be so stupid as to trade Sam Darnold before the end of the season, but if he is that dumb, it actually might be my last straw with the franchise. 

I promise to spare the board a drama queen goodbye forever thread, but I really don't know how much more incompetency I can mentally or  emotionally withstand at this point.

I’ll guarantee you JD isn’t that stupid. But he saw something in Morgan like the Ravens saw in Flacco out of Delaware. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I’ll guarantee you JD isn’t that stupid. But he saw something in Morgan like the Ravens saw in Flacco out of Delaware. 

That's fine. And if he decides to move on from Sam after the season is done, that is his prerogative. But to trade Sam before knowing what you're trading for would be a McCagnan move.

Here is a crazy thought...Sam is fixable post-gase! I don't like the Darnold trade talk. He is still 23!

Trade down top 3 pick to accumulate picks and build this thing properly around him with an actual coach around him.

I believe in Sam! There is too much love around the league for him apart from at the jets.

As an aside, I am going to do my nut if gase not gone soon. Guy is a disgrace!

52 minutes ago, JetHammer said:

Here is a crazy thought...Sam is fixable post-gase! I don't like the Darnold trade talk. He is still 23!

Trade down top 3 pick to accumulate picks and build this thing properly around him with an actual coach around him.

I believe in Sam! There is too much love around the league for him apart from at the jets.

As an aside, I am going to do my nut if gase not gone soon. Guy is a disgrace!

Tannehill was 100x the QB Darnold is under Gase. Darnold just stinks, sorry.

I could see the Jets trading Darnold now if they got a 1st round pick for him.  

I also think that their are other QBs in this draft who would be worth it over Darnold plus a 1st.  

But unfortunately, the Jets have hosed themselves of that opportunity by getting Darnold’s shoulder damaged, just like Pennington and Sanchez. 

I like Darnold.  I can see the Steelers, 49ers or Cowboys risking a pick on his, particularly if Darnold did a reasonable extension.  But for the Jets and their roster, they can’t pay $25mm for Darnold in 2022.