Shame on you Chris Johnson

jgb

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Too lazy to do the research but I'd bet the Jets pay more ex-GMs and ex-HCs that are long gone than anyone. Hire a good HC for real money and it's cheaper in the long run, ya mo-rons!

That's probably a horrifying reality, also not gonna do it. It'll probably give me bad dreams like when Snoopy eats a late night pizza. The Jets are probably still paying Dick Steinberg and we all know where he is . . . is it WHY he is? ?

• Haha 1

Look at the Jets former stadium landlords. New owner Steve Cohen plans to LOSE $400 million over the next two years building the club into a perineal winner. He’s putting Sandy Alderson, a baseball lifer, in charge of everything that is baseball and has no plans to deny any of Alderson’s requests for personnel, infrastructure and on-field talent.

THAT IS HOW OWNERS CREATE WINNERS. Put an industry expert in charge and provide financial resources. The Johnsons do neither of these things.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Look at the Jets former stadium landlords. New owner Steve Cohen plans to LOSE $400 million over the next two years building the club into a perineal winner. He’s putting Sandy Alderson, a baseball lifer, in charge of everything that is baseball and has no plans to deny any of Alderson’s requests for personnel, infrastructure and on-field talent.

THAT IS HOW OWNERS CREATE WINNERS. Put an industry expert in charge and provide financial resources. The Johnsons do neither of these things.

Love this approach as well.  And very happy that Sandy is going to be the point person.  I have a feeling the Mets as a franchise are going to be viewed in an entirely different light (much, much better!) going forward.

I'm also a NY Ranger fan btw, and they too seem to be in a fantastic position going forward.

Next up will hopefully be the Jets (maybe with Trevor Lawrence?)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Umm, Adam Gase is an industry expert and Joe Douglas has all the cap money he needs. 

And if Mr. Johnson were cheap as this ridiculous narrative goes, Bowles and Maccagnan would still be here as he's paying them and players like Mosley and Bell to not be here.

The problem isn't Christopher Johnson's plan to put a football man at the top and rebuild.  The problem is Woody Johnson's retention of Rex Ryan and hiring of John Idzik which started this entire catastrophe.  Be angry, but realize your angry with Jets brass who are no longer here.  It took 10 years to bring us to this point.  It's going to take more than 1 to fix it.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Love this approach as well.  And very happy that Sandy is going to be the point person.  I have a feeling the Mets as a franchise are going to be viewed in an entirely different light (much, much better!) going forward.

The Mets billionaire is no different than the Jets billionaire.  Just rich fans who bought something.  Cohen going to Alderson is going backwards.  I'm no Mets fan but last time I checked Alderson's teams constantly underperformed, the pitchers he built around aren't contributing in the league, and his big ticket signings were just as bad as Maccagnan's.  Whatshisname hurts himself on a dude ranch or taking a shower.

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm also a NY Ranger fan btw, and they too seem to be in a fantastic position going forward.

Same here, huge Rangers fan, but the reason our rebuild is years ahead of schedule is because we picked the right young players in the draft and picked up smart pieces via trade and FA.  The Jets GM just had his first draft and they're injured, we can't validate all but one of them right now.  We have a ton of cap next year.  The time to judge Joe Douglas is a year from now.  Same for Gase who can't show his abilities with this crappy roster decimated by injuries.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

Umm, Adam Gase is an industry expert and Joe Douglas has all the cap money he needs. 
And if Mr. Johnson were cheap as this ridiculous narrative goes, Bowles and Maccagnan would still be here as he's paying them and players like Mosley and Bell to not be here.
The problem isn't Christopher Johnson's plan to put a football man at the top and rebuild.  The problem is Woody Johnson's retention of Rex Ryan and hiring of John Idzik which started this entire catastrophe.  Be angry, but realize your angry with Jets brass who are no longer here.  It took 10 years to bring us to this point.  It's going to take more than 1 to fix it.
SAR I

Thanks for the thoughtful insight Adam.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I feel bad for the season ticket holders being extorted by the Johnsons to buy season tickets every year.  What a miserable product to be paying for.  Mercifully you didn’t have to pay the extortion fee this year.  

The Johnson's are very good to the season ticket holders, I have no complaints.  Of course we want wins, goes without saying, but we get great parking, great perks, visits to the training facilities, private practices, VIP scrimmages, free merchandise, food discounts.  Brand new stadium is holding up perfectly after 10 years and we own it, its nice to have our own facility.

And, very importantly, the lack of a ticket price increase since 2009 means that the PSL's cost us nothing.  In effect, Woody and Christopher paid off my PSL's for me, and for that too I am grateful.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I feel bad for the season ticket holders being extorted by the Johnsons to buy season tickets every year.  What a miserable product to be paying for.  Mercifully you didn’t have to pay the extortion fee this year.  

As weird as this sounds Covid 19 gave Joe Douglas the ability to do what had to be done to this organization, which was strip it bare of everything Idzik/Macc did to it over the last 10 years. Without fans in the stands having to personally endure this horrific tear down, it's like he gave season ticket holders a pass on 2020. 

This team was going nowhere in its present form. Sure, no one expected the avalanche of injuries but does it really matter as long as we get some of the draft picks back to see what they've got? 

Everyone crying about Bell, he was gone next year anyway. We're 0-5. Now, without having to pay for games you can watch for free, or turn the game off if you want. I haven't followed NBA basketball for years, but haven't the Knicks been the recent Jets for 10 years too? 

So, we could have signed Clowney, Logan Ryan, or any number of free agent mercenaries to go 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, or we could finally rip the bandaid off start completely fresh & endure our worst year since Kotite & season ticket holders didn't have to suffer one bit. Although Joe Douglas might not look like a genius, let's give the man his due for minimizing the suffering of people that usually trek to that stadium 8 times a year. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Next up will hopefully be the Jets (maybe with Trevor Lawrence?)

Is Trevor Lawrence buying the Jets? ?

I've been in sports hell for the better part of 50 years as a fan of the Jets, Mets, Rangers and Knicks. The Mets and Rangers are both clearly pointed in the right direction with the Rangers well positioned to be a dominant force. Even the Knicks finally have some young talent and a good Coach. The Jets are the only one that offers me no hope as they continue their calamitous run of poor choices. The Jets messed up when they banned Manish from the facility. They should have banned the Johnsons.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The Jets did not conduct themselves in free agency like a team who owner has removed himself from money spending decisions.

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Too lazy to do the research but I'd bet the Jets pay more ex-GMs and ex-HCs that are long gone than anyone. Hire a good HC for real money and it's cheaper in the long run, ya mo-rons!

Bowles and Macc are both off the books at the end of this year. Not sure about assistants.

Gase will be on the books for two more years. Plus a lot of assistants. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Johnson's are very good to the season ticket holders, I have no complaints.  Of course we want wins, goes without saying, but we get great parking, great perks, visits to the training facilities, private practices, VIP scrimmages, free merchandise, food discounts.  Brand new stadium is holding up perfectly after 10 years and we own it, its nice to have our own facility.

And, very importantly, the lack of a ticket price increase since 2009 means that the PSL's cost us nothing.  In effect, Woody and Christopher paid off my PSL's for me, and for that too I am grateful.

SAR I

I agree with this but you left a few out. Because the team is so terrible we also get:

• Unlimited elbow room on gameday with nobody sitting next to you
  • Easy entrance and exit to the stadium since the parking lots are empty

Who needs all those germs sitting next to you and long parking lot lines. THANK YOU JOHNSON BROTHERS.

Not all heroes wear capes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Mets billionaire is no different than the Jets billionaire.  Just rich fans who bought something.  Cohen going to Alderson is going backwards.  I'm no Mets fan but last time I checked Alderson's teams constantly underperformed, the pitchers he built around aren't contributing in the league, and his big ticket signings were just as bad as Maccagnan's.  Whatshisname hurts himself on a dude ranch or taking a shower.

Same here, huge Rangers fan, but the reason our rebuild is years ahead of schedule is because we picked the right young players in the draft and picked up smart pieces via trade and FA.  The Jets GM just had his first draft and they're injured, we can't validate all but one of them right now.  We have a ton of cap next year.  The time to judge Joe Douglas is a year from now.  Same for Gase who can't show his abilities with this crappy roster decimated by injuries.

SAR I

I think there is a very big difference between the Mets' billionaire vs the Jets' billionaires.  Cohen is a businessman while the Johnsons have never done a thing.  Admittedly Cohen is crooked (probably crooked as heck) and who knows how much money he made as a result of that (maybe all?)  But Steinbrenner was a felon as well.  And I do think there might be something to crookedness being part of being a businessman (sort of like how Tour De France cyclists had to do illegal drugs to even compete).

But also very relevant is that baseball (unlike the NFL) has no salary cap.

As for the NY Rangers, they've been incredibly fortunate during this rebuild with ping pong balls being responsible for us getting Kakko and Lafreniere.  But they've definitely been pretty smart in their approach too.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The Jets did not conduct themselves in free agency like a team who owner has removed himself from money spending decisions.

What evidence is there of this?

I would assume that since we hired a Ozzie protégé we are going to be acting in an Ozzie manner, no?  Do you recall the Ravens making any flashy signings?  Did the Eagles bring in a haul of flashy WR's to bail Carson Wentz out?

I don't think the Johnson's are being cheap; I think that Douglas is building his warchest of draft capital to do it the old fashioned way, to do it the right way-  through the draft.

SAR I

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Everybody (correctly) thinks it's crazy that the Jets fired Maccagnan after letting him run an entire offseason, including a coaching change, as a lame duck. At the same time we're talking about the team that once fired its general manager and let him continue to run the scouting department for ten years. It took Maccagnan to get rid of Bradway and then it took Gase to get rid of Maccagnan. Williams is on standby but you would have to think we're reaching the practical limits of the get a bigger dumber animal approach here.

• Haha 1