Urban Meyer

maury77

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Urban Meyer had 100% control over everything at UF and OSU, as does every major college coach. I doubt he could ever have picked out the University President at either place from a lineup. You think he would even take a call from either of the meddlesome lucky sperm brothers? 

If you bring in Meyer (or Sean Payton, or Bill Cowher, or Tony Dungy,or one of the Harbaughs,  or Doug Pederson), you give him the keys, a big check every year, and step back and shut up. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet2020 said:

Stop it already with washing Parcells balls already. He had nothing to do with the Jets beyond 2000 unless you think he was responsible for the BB resignation. 

Parcells changed the culture like a hurricane and the Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini teams still felt his presence.  Tannenbaum was still here.  Team captains were guys he drafted and coached.

The stench of losing and draft mistakes gets eradicated by a brutally honest and vicious head coach, you know, that "football man" calling all the shots.  Sound familiar?

Adam Gase is your Bill Parcells.  He's whipping this franchise into shape and taking no prisoners.

SAR I

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Parcells changed the culture like a hurricane and the Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini teams still felt his presence.  Tannenbaum was still here.  Team captains were guys he drafted and coached.

The stench of losing and draft mistakes gets eradicated by a brutally honest and vicious head coach, you know, that "football man" calling all the shots.  Sound familiar?

Adam Gase is your Bill Parcells.  He's whipping this franchise into shape and taking no prisoners.

SAR I

image.thumb.gif.bdc6ca549122acb3edf9da4b9e4d2c20.gif

If you hire a guy like Urban Meyer (not happening) you are undermining your GM so you might as well just let JD go as well if that's what you want to do.

The Jets have to stop trying to pair people together and let the GM hire his coach. Last time we did that was when Tannenbaum got to hire Rex. Ever since, we've been playing this game where we try and make it work with GM's and Head Coaches who were hired separately and I personally think it's a mistake. 

I understand Gase helped pick Douglas but this time around, after Gase is gone, we need to let Joe Douglas hire the Head Coach. If you don't trust Douglas to be able to do that, then what does it say about him anyway?

If you want to go hunting for a big time head coach then you should let Douglas go because any coach like Urban Meyer is going to want to come in and put their own people in the front office.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Adam Gase is Bill Parcells -- except he's been a total failure anywhere and everywhere he's been since 2014. Two rings with one team and a Super Bowl appearance with another? Nah, our guy has 30 double digit losses in five years as a HC.

Two peas in a pod those guys.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not a fan of him personally either.  But I do think he's a great coach.  I agree that he tends to pick out the best situations (easiest to win) and college is a different ballgame due to recruiting.  However, I still think he's a phenomenal HC and he did win games against the best teams too (even winning a title against Alabama with his 3rd string QB, Cardale Jones).

He's one of the greatest college coaches of all time, maybe the best big game/moment coach I've ever seen.  His teams were always ready to go and he always had a card or 2 up his sleeve and always pulled it the perfect time.  Dude was incredible from that perspective.  He was also an elite recruiter and elite at getting you to the next level.  The NFL is different.  I just dont think he gets the same buy in and I promise you, if he didnt win immediately, he'd quit, immediately.  He couldnt handle going 8-8 while building for the future.  That's not Urban Meyer.  

• Upvote 2

Some college coaches reach great heights because they are great recruiters and are perfectly suited for the unique leadership role that is todays college football coach. I have great reservations about meyer. I’d prefer a college coach who has competed and overachieved with a program that is not a draw in and of itself. What wildly successful college coaches at top programs have made the transition to the NFL. Pete Carroll? Anyone else? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Meyer is at the end of his career, and with health issues will not want to put in the time that it will take to turn around a wretched NFL franchise.

The Jets will be stuck with a first time NFL coach who is currently an offensive assistant. There are some candidates. Just have to pick right. Hopefully Douglas gets to make the call.

Agree.  Plus Meyer runs a gimmicky offense that has never translated to the nfl

25 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Some college coaches reach great heights because they are great recruiters and are perfectly suited for the unique leadership role that is todays college football coach. I have great reservations about meyer. I’d prefer a college coach who has competed and overachieved with a program that is not a draw in and of itself. What wildly successful college coaches at top programs have made the transition to the NFL. Pete Carroll? Anyone else? 

Harbaugh 

I think the key is to find college coaches who have some nfl background.  Either playing or coaching.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Urban is making $7.5 million per year from Fox Sports to TALK about football.  Why would he ever leave that for the Jets job?   The second things go bad he’ll have another “heart attack” and take off.   I wouldn’t go near him. 

Give him $12M a year to be President/Director of Football Operations and get out of the way?

LOL

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Harbaugh 

I think the key is to find college coaches who have some nfl background.  Either playing or coaching.

Agreed. Also, Harbaugh had his pre-NFL success at Stanford, which is not traditional power program. Urban Meyer was similar when he was at Utah, but that Urban Meyer no longer exists. He is now in the mold of Saban and Holtz, practiced in the skill of accumulating so much talent that "coaching" becomes far less important.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

If you bring in Meyer (or Sean Payton, or Bill Cowher, or Tony Dungy,or one of the Harbaughs,  or Doug Pederson), you give him the keys, a big check every year, and step back and shut up. 

I agree with you, that would be the only way it would work. My point is, the Johnson's have so destroyed this organizational integrity that none of the guys that you listed, or hundreds more, would even talk to them. They have made this a toxic job. Get ready for the press conference announcing the special teams coach of the Bengals or the OC of someplace like Duke as our next HC.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yeah, The NYJ, who have an unorganized hierarchy, who are a complete rebuild from top to bottom are the perfect situation for a coach whose health suffers in stressful situations. What could go wrong?

Sounds about right. The Jets actually kill their head coach. Probably in the middle of a game.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Urban is making $7.5 million per year from Fox Sports to TALK about football.  Why would he ever leave that for the Jets job?   The second things go bad he’ll have another “heart attack” and take off.   I wouldn’t go near him. 

I hear you about the $$$, but the ego is unpredictable. Look at how many wealthy men have run for President.

I'd be ok with having Urban for 3-4 years. Parcells was only here for 3 years. 

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

I'd keep my eye on Pederson. I have no idea why he's on the hot seat, but he obviously has Douglas connedtions. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

775144823_DonaldDuckLaughing.gif.8fe08cdd91d5e8cf97edef58b8630534.gif

If the Jets are gonna take a chance on an ex-college head coach that retired due to health conditions caused by stress, another option to Urban Meyer would be Chris Petersen.  A well-respected winning college coach at multiple schools. 

• 147-38 record with 6 BCS/CFP appearances
  • Took Boise State to a BCS bowl game in his first year and beat an Oklahoma team that featured a young Sam Bradford, Demarco Murray, Malcolm Kelly, Jermaine Gresham, Gerald McCoy, Curtis Lofton, etc.  The Boise State team had Ian Johnson, Titus Young and Kyle Wilson.  A coach that can compete with far less talent and resources. 
  • Even after leaving Boise State, they have been a contender, leaving behind a winning culture and national relevance.
  • Peterson took over UW in 2014 and elevated them from mediocre at best (7-9 each of the previous 3 seasons) and by 2016 led them to their first double digit win season since 2000. 
  • In 2016, led UW to the College Football Playoffs.
  • Wouldn't require full control, so Joe Douglas would still be in place
  • Not getting paid $7.5M, so he may be a cheaper option
  • Same age as Urban Meyer

Here is the kicker:  Perhaps he can convince Kellen Moore to move over from Dallas to be his offensive coordinator. Moore owes his career to Petersen.  Since taking over the offense under Garrett last year, the Cowboys went from 22nd in points and yards to 1st in yards and 6th in points.  So far this year they are 1st in yards and 3rd in points.  A significant portion of that is Dak but he was there the previous 2 years and the offense struggled.  Perhaps Moore can be groomed under Petersen to eventually take over as the next young offensive play caller turned head coach.   

An alternative OC would be Dirk Koetter who spent time as the OC at Oregon when Petersen was the WR coach.  He'll be gone from Atlanta at the end of the year. 

• Upvote 1