What big time college coaches could the jets target to replace Gase?

Philc1

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Hell naw son.... and I'm a Notre Dame fan lol. 

You need some context on those records. 55 of those wins were gimmie wins between stints coaching at Central Michigan/Cincinnati. Then another 12 wins were vacated at ND in 2012. 

So his record that matters is 83-37 at ND. 

But even that you cant trust. He has a notorious track record of losing important in season games every. single.  f*king. year. especially near the end of the season, taking them out of championship contention and leading to a "runner up" bowl game. 

He took ND to 1 BCS Championship game in 11 years and got absolutely smashed by Alabama. 

Hard pass. 

How exactly was his record full of easy wins when he coached at Central Michigan and Cincinnati. He was facing teams with the same level of talent that he was coaching. Kelly is an excellent coach and I would hire him 100 times out of 100 over Shaw who sucks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Trevor may not have a choice, Dabo will.   There is literally zero chance Dabo comes to New York.  

I dont understand this honestly. One would think it would be highly appealing. 

Hypothetically, IF we get the first pick...

- His golden boy QB.  

- Another 1st Rd pick. 

- Tons of cap space. 

- Multiple 1st Rds 2021. 

- Nowhere but up. 

Just now, JTJet said:

I dont understand this honestly. One would think it would be highly appealing. 

Hypothetically, IF we get the first pick...

- His golden boy QB.  

- Another 1st Rd pick. 

- Tons of cap space. 

- Multiple 1st Rds 2021. 

- Nowhere but up. 

He has zero desire to coach in the NFL.   Ain’t happening.  

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

How exactly was his record full of easy wins when he coached at Central Michigan and Cincinnati. He was facing teams with the same level of talent that he was coaching. Kelly is an excellent coach and I would hire him 100 times out of 100 over Shaw who sucks.

Personality wise Kelly is a better fit in the NFL than a lot of the other college coaches.   I think he could be a better NFL coach than college coach. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pennington said:

At the time he coached at both those universities, they were the only schools in their conferences worth a sh*t give or take a few others. 

Yes he is better than Shaw, but NEITHER one of them is a good option. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Personality wise Kelly is a better fit in the NFL than a lot of the other college coaches.   I think he could be a better NFL coach than college coach. 

He's not my first choice but I wouldn't be upset with the hire unlike Shaw who is terrible. I want a young up and coming coach that can grow with the team. Joe Brady is the next McVay or Shanahan and he should be the choice.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

At the time he coached at both those universities, they were the only schools in their conferences worth a sh*t give or take a few others. 

Yes he is better than Shaw, but NEITHER one of them is a good option. 

I would have liked a Kelly hire 10 years ago but I don't think he has the time or energy to take on this job. Joe Brady and Arthur Smith should be the only two candidates.

22 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Matt Campbell   Iowa State. 

Would be very interesting to see the "cloud" defense with elite players. Campbell has figured out how to shut down the air raid/spread offenses (or slow them down significantly) in the BIGXII. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

I would have liked a Kelly hire 10 years ago but I don't think he has the time or energy to take on this job. Joe Brady and Arthur Smith should be the only two candidates.

Yeah maybe. Kelly's failures with ND are pretty notorious among fans. He has consistently let us down by botching big in season games. None of us give a damn about those Bowl games lol. 

50 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The timing may be right for Shaw to make the move to the NFL right now.   I know he loves it at Stanford and his family loves it there, Stanford loves him as well.   It will depend on what his appetite is for the NFL.   I’d drive out to Palo Alto and pick him up personally if he wanted the job.  

Maybe he would like to leave California? Granted, most don’t head to NJ, but California is one of the few places that is worse than NJ tax-wise. 

I like Campbell as a candidate. I liked him when we settled on crazy eyes. Dabo strikes me as being as big a pipe dream as Lincoln. Both have really sweet gigs at their schools. And at best, both can wait and pick their sweet spot. It sure as hell isn’t here with this crew and in this city.

More likely than not, if we’re fortunate enough to get Gase dumped, we’re looking at a retread or coordinator. Bieniemy is still the dream, but Monken or the Titans OC someone mentioned would be good with me. I can say this Wink Martindale chatter is making me nervous. If that happens this franchise is literally locked in a forever loop.

49 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jim Harbaugh 

Doug Pederson (If Eagles fire him)

Dino Babers, Syracuse  - if people gonna throw Campbell in the convo I'll throw in this energetic guy. 

Sean Payton for Sam Darnold

I don't want another teams fired coach. That's what we have now. ?

40 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Hell naw son.... and I'm a Notre Dame fan lol. 

You need some context on those records. 55 of those wins were gimmie wins between stints coaching at Central Michigan/Cincinnati. Then another 12 wins were vacated at ND in 2012. 

So his record that matters is 83-37 at ND. 

But even that you cant trust. He has a notorious track record of losing important in season games every. single.  f*king. year. especially near the end of the season, taking them out of championship contention and leading to a "runner up" bowl game. 

He took ND to 1 BCS Championship game in 11 years and got absolutely smashed by Alabama. 

Hard pass. 

I'm a Notre Dame fan too.  I think you're selling coach a bit short here.

Put him at a football factory in the south without the academic restrictions of the Irish and he'd be a lot more successful. 

Put him in Florida or, God forbid, Southern Cal and he'd consistently be in the playoffs. 

I just dont think this is the situation to bring in a collegiate coach for his first HC'ing gig in the NFL.  A Harbaugh, Saban, Edwards - someone with HC'ing experience, maybe but not a first timer.  I really think this is a job for a battle tested NFL HC who can overcome the organizational ineptitude.  I've mentioned a few; Jim Caldwell, Marvin Lewis, Gary Kubiak, Mike Shanahan all come to mind.  Let these guys get something established, see if a 2nd/3rd tour has some stickiness to it and if it doesnt, see who the next upcoming hot shot is now that you've created a foundation.

That said the intriguing guys that come to mind in college are;  Matt Campbell, Kirby Smart, Luke Fickell, Chris Peterson - that's my short list but it's so hard to predict.  I'll be real, I had no clue about Matt Rhule when his name started circling. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm a Notre Dame fan too.  I think you're selling coach bit short here.

Put him at a football factory in the south without the academic restrictions of the Irish and he'd be a lot more successful. 

Put him in Florida or, God forbid, Southern Cal and he'd consistently be in the playoffs. 

I just dont agree. 

For all the academic restrictions of ND, you know as well as I do we find ways around that, hell we got busted for doing so. No different than every major college program. 

I know you have verbally said out loud at least several times in the last few years, "dammit we need a change" after losing big in season games. Cmon man, you know you have lol. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I hear you, but Pederson is a Reid guy. Don't let a mistake scare you from a potentially good hire. 

It doesn't, but I believe Frank Reich was the brains of the operation. As soon as he left the Eagles started going downhill.

• Upvote 2

No college coach will leave their cushy job for the Jets. And the owners are too spineless to appoint one.

The Johnsons will probably go for an NFL coordinator or ex head coach. Some loser like Marvin Lewis. Maybe Robert saleh from the 49ers. 

Bienemy will coach the Texans, so i think he's out of the picture.

Your new head coach in 2021: Marvin Lewis. 

52 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think he's the closest thing to Andy Reid. I'm shocked your down on him. He won Super Bowl with a backup who should have stayed his starter. 

Making the playoffs a year ago with what was left on that roster is kind of amazing on its own.

Who would complain about his pedigree, exp and SB ring?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I just dont agree. 

For all the academic restrictions of ND, you know as well as I do we find ways around that, hell we got busted for doing so. No different than every major college program. 

I know you have verbally said out loud at least several times in the last few years, "dammit we need a change" after losing big in season games. Cmon man, you know you have lol. 

I felt discouraged after the Stanford loss in 18, but besides that, no.

I'm not sure they could do better.

Especially if he finds a way to keep Lea long term. 

My expectations for them have been lowered through the decades.  I'm pretty happy with consistently winning 10 games and the occasional playoff birth. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I can guarantee you that Dabo will never come here.  He’ll never even answer the phone.   

Why should he? He has superior talent where he is, total control, and never has to deal with any people as incompetent and meddling as the Johnson. Matter of fact, has Dabo ever met the President or AD of Clemson??

• Upvote 1

Just now, predator_05 said:

No college coach will leave their cushy job for the Jets. And the owners are too spineless to appoint one.

The Johnsons will probably go for an NFL coordinator or ex head coach. Some loser like Marvin Lewis. Maybe Robert saleh from the 49ers. 

Bienemy will coach the Texans, so i think he's out of the picture.

Your new head coach in 2021: Marvin Lewis. 

Ruhle wanted the job.  Kingsbury wanted the job.

So if not a college guy you think the job will go to a NFL coordinator or an ex HC?  lol

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Your new head coach in 2021: Bill O'Brien. 

WTF, how many shltty choices can you come up with and why, trying to turn my stomach even more

BTW, he can coach, just dont let him anywhere near personnel decisions.  Houston did win, Watson was developed and he won with QBs like Fitz and Hoyer

But its never happening

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

WTF, how many shltty choices can you come up with and why, trying to turn my stomach even more

BTW, he can coach, just dont let him anywhere near personnel decisions.  Houston did win, Watson was developed and he won with QBs like Fitz and Hoyer

But its never happening

Your new head coach in 2021: Jim Caldwell.

• Haha 2