What big time college coaches could the jets target to replace Gase?

Philc1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I felt discouraged after the Stanford loss in 18, but besides that, no.

I'm not sure they could do better.

Especially if he finds a way to keep Lea long term. 

My expectations for them have been lowered through the decades.  I'm pretty happy with consistently winning 10 games and the occasional playoff birth. 

That's fair. I'm just impatient as sh*t. 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Funny timing.  I was about to come here to a post new thread about a "rumor" I was told yesterday when visiting some old friends on the Iowa Strength staff.

First off, I have no idea how true this is, but I don't know why the person who told me would pull my leg.

So the story is I go down to visit a good friend who is part of the Iowa S&C staff.  I have a Jets hat on.  I'm talking to my buddy and one of his colleagues.  After awhile the conversation switched to the Jets.  Yada yada small talk.  We all joke about how bad they are etc.  And the colleague mentions that he knows Joe Douglas from "their early days".  He doesn't expand on that and I don't press him on it.  Anyway he's very complimentary of JD etc.  At some point I bring up about how I'm sure Gase will be fired etc.  This guy then tells me don't be surprised if you hear the name David Shaw.  Apparently JD and Shaw know each other(which when I got home I realized they both were with the Ravens at the same time for a stretch) and that Douglas had been at a lot of Stanford pro days and practices in the past.  And that basically ended anything interesting or Jets related

So that's it.  That is the story.  I have no idea if any of that is true,but I don't know why this guy would make it up.  I don't know this colleague very well outside of about 2 or 3 previous brief conversations.  He didn't say anything about Shaw's desire to leave Stanford or anything like that as I'm sure he doesn't know.

Just thought I'd share, even though it may be useless info.

I could buy into David Shaw. Class guy who seems to get the most out of his players. Just a thought......he coached against Sam when he was at USC. Does he believe that Sam is "the guy?" Would he sacrifice a great job to go down the tubes in the NFL with a crappy QB? Seems to me that's why both Kingsbury and Rhule ultimately passed. Of course, if we land the #1, and he could coach Trevor Lawrence, may be a totally different story. I think it will probably come down to no really successful, established guy in a great situation will want anything to do with the Johnsons.

46 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yeah maybe. Kelly's failures with ND are pretty notorious among fans. He has consistently let us down by botching big in season games. None of us give a damn about those Bowl games lol. 

I don't know what you Notre Dame fans expect from Kelly. Whether you like it or not the school will not let in the type of academic misfits that the Clemsons and Alabamas happily take in. Kelly does as much as he can with the good but not elite talent that he is able to recruit.

• Upvote 4

He won’t come but here me out......Lane Kiffin.

1. Has previous Head Coaching experience at NFL and College
  2. still young
  3. Offensive guru
  4. well versed with using analytics
  5. learned from mistakes at previous failures
  6. runs great offense

oh I’m im an Ole Miss fan so I don’t want him to leave but have seen him first hand already turn the program around in one year.  Yeah I am biased

On 10/17/2020 at 9:48 AM, JTJet said:

I dont understand this honestly. One would think it would be highly appealing. 

Hypothetically, IF we get the first pick...

- His golden boy QB.  

- Another 1st Rd pick. 

- Tons of cap space. 

- Multiple 1st Rds 2021. 

- Nowhere but up. 

I think the point is nothing above is an actual incentive for him to coach the Jets instead of Clemson.

• He's not going to get a pay raise (already on pace for his annual increases to hit $10MM by next year).
  • He's not a metro-NY area type guy to say the least. He's from Alabama, briefly played for Alabama, position-coached there after graduating and, as @sec101row23 and @Adoni Beast have correctly said, that's the only coaching job offer in the USA that'd be more attractive to him than the one he's got.
  • He'd be going from proven great to must prove he's not just a cushy-college fraud status overnight. 
  • Down there he more or less - if not absolutely - answers to nobody. He's the top of the food chain. Everywhere he goes in public down there, people probably point to him with starstruck OMG it's Dabo eyes, like they just saw Jesus himself and are blessed just to be walking on the same earth with him (though they probably think Dabo also walks on water, not merely on the dry land). 
  • Here, he'd have to answer to Douglas - even if the Jets keep the existing structure, JD is still the GM who has final say on picking the players - and/or to one of two dumbass Johnson brothers.
  • There's also only glowing local and national media writing & reporting about how marvelous he is; compare that to the treatment & second-guessing he'll have here from the likes of Manish Mehta & more.
  • The fans there are true believers in the Clemson religion and always will be. Jets fans are more like cult members too dumb to get out despite knowing they're in a cult and knowing how the cult makes no sense at all and all they do is complain about it (quite justifiably, I might add).

It's purely NFL-only football fans who think that becoming an NFL HC is the job every football coach truly desires. In reality it's not only a life downgrade from being the HC of a top NCAA program; it's a dramatic downgrade. Never mind coming to the NFL to coach the talent-barren Jets at that who are and have been more NFL punchline than NFL football team. 

Why would he possibly want to leave his perfect, dream life for this sh**show? Frankly if he's dumb enough to make such a terrible life decision then it shows he's a fraud with no brains anyway. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's purely NFL-only football fans who think that becoming an NFL HC is the job every football coach truly desires. In reality it's not only a life downgrade from being the HC of a top NCAA program; it's a dramatic downgrade.

And no matter who you are, no matter how successful you are at the college level, the NFL is where the recognitions is.

Ask people to name the all time great football HCs and its Belichick, Shula, Walsh that come to mind.  As much as Saban etc belong

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

For some reason people view this guy as a joke.

Hes better than anyone we've had since Parcells

He'll be like 66 next year. That's not an age for a new HC hire unless maybe the guy's like some type of folk hero legend, which Caldwell is not.

He's had his 2 chances at that level. The next HC opportunity he gets, if he ever gets another, will be as interim HC to mop up a season if the HC above him gets fired before January.

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And no matter who you are, no matter how successful you are at the college level, the NFL is where the recognitions is.

Ask people to name the all time great football HCs and its Belichick, Shula, Walsh that come to mind.  As much as Saban etc belong

This is a myth among NFL-only fans (particularly big-market teams like NY that don't have a prominent college program anywhere near here, let alone with a NYC area identity). It's a huge mistake to believe that this matters to everyone -- or even to most people. 

He has a perfect life. Leaving Clemson, while he's on top of the world, to become the HC of the NYJ is a sub-moronic thing to do, and would be something done only by a person who just isn't smart.

You're mistaken in thinking he sees himself as insignificant small potatoes because he's not an NFL HC. He's living as close to his dream as possible, which is to be in Saban's shoes not Gase's shoes. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He'll be like 66 next year. That's not an age for a new HC hire unless maybe the guy's like some type of folk hero legend, which Caldwell is not.

He's had his 2 chances at that level. The next HC opportunity he gets, if he ever gets another, will be as interim HC to mop up a season if the HC above him gets fired before January.

My point was for all the complaining and whining people throw after his name, he won with the Colts and did a great job with the Lions.  I just dont get the hate

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is a myth among NFL-only fans (particularly big-market teams like NY that don't have a prominent college program anywhere near here, let alone with a NYC area identity). It's a huge mistake to believe that this matters to everyone -- or even to most people. 

He has a perfect life. Leaving Clemson, while he's on top of the world, to become the HC of the NYJ is a sub-moronic thing to do, and would be something done only by a person who just isn't smart.

You're mistaken in thinking he sees himself as insignificant small potatoes because he's not an NFL HC. He's living as close to his dream as possible, which is to be in Saban's shoes not Gase's shoes. 

Its not a myth.  

We all know the appeal of being a big time HC at a big time college.  I get it.  But still its a notch below the NFL, benefits aside.  The NFL is the top of the coaching tree, you have to win while on somewhat equal footing, not because youre an Alabama or whoever and you walk onto a field just about every week knowing you out recruited the opponent just by showing up and have better talent across the board, that a loss is 90% of the time an upset

But the league is littered with successful college HC's who had to try and become successful in the NFL.  Saban included.

I just threw Dabo out as a half a joke, especially in light of everyone dumping out on Darnold and getting hard for Trevor

• Upvote 1

Herman Edwards.

lol

Say what you like about Herm, you have to admire his personal work ethic, self-discipline, and how he comports himself. Impeccable, snappy dresser, stays fit, talks alot of nonsense that people like me actually understand. 

We used to call him Preacher Man. Probably one of the funniest things was a post-game (win) locker room pep talk. "It's not the skill, men, it's the WILL!" Curtis Martin kind of went, "Wooo . . . ?" and then trailed off. He had his helmet in his hand and I could see his brows knitting in confusion. In other words, "So let me get this straight, Coach. Some fat slob down the block who never even played touch football can gain 1,697 yards as a pro if he wants it bad enough. I'll write that down. I guess . . . ?" Hahaha.

1 minute ago, jetophile said:

Some fat slob down the block who never even played touch football can gain 1,697 yards as a pro if he wants it bad enough. I'll write that down. I guess . . . ?" Hahaha.

No but all things being equal?

Look at one of the many RBs with more talent than your C Martin example.  They didnt come near what CM produced through determination and will

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No but all things being equal?

Look at one of the many RBs with more talent than your C Martin example.  They didnt come near what CM produced through determination and will

I know, but still hilariously funny. I'm sure that clip is out there somewhere and I'm sure someone else besides me remembers it. It was precisely as I said with no embellishment whatsoever.

I really wish that Herm had worked out for the obvious reasons, but the secondary reason was the entertainment value.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

A lot of people have skill at the NFL level, what separates them is the work ethic and will to do what it takes to be the best version of themselves on and off the field. 

I guess you had to be there. That same week was the rides at Disney World speech.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

My point was for all the complaining and whining people throw after his name, he won with the Colts and did a great job with the Lions.  I just dont get the hate

Meh he's not all that. He was a better OC than Cam Cameron, had a brief good stretch after being handed a SB level team he was already coaching, and I'm sure he's a better HC than Adam Gase (who coincidentally also had his biggest success with the same ready-made HOF QB).

As far as the Lions job, meh. His one 11-win season there was purely on the backs of the Suh-dominated defense, not Caldwell's 20 ppg offense. After being spotted a 5000-yard QB and two stud WRs, it took him 4 seasons to field a top-16 offense. FFS Calvin Johnson chose retirement (and repaying the Lions) rather than playing for him any more, even at his ungodly salary. 

But regardless, it's a dead-end hire the day it's announced. A lot of the goal in replacing Gase is going to be to convince FAs - and Lawrence - that the Jets aren't career poison, and that staying away from here (even taking less money elsewhere or staying in school another year) isn't the smart career move. Hiring 66 year-old Caldwell doesn't accomplish that. A hire of "He's better than Adam Gase" is not nearly enough of an upgrade.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I was just saying what I believe Herm Edwards ment by that. 

Point taken, not belaboring it. It was just a microcosm of Herms hilarious body of work. It's still funny to this day and probably always will be. Guy is a great motivator, no question. We're on the bus.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think the point nothing above is an actual incentive for him to coach the Jets instead of Clemson.

• He's not going to get a pay raise (already on pace for his annual increases to hit $10MM by next year).
  • He's not a metro-NY area type guy to say the least. He's from Alabama, briefly played for Alabama, position-coached there after graduating and, as @sec101row23 and @Adoni Beast have correctly said, that's the only coaching job offer in the USA that'd be more attractive to him than the one he's got.
  • He'd be going from proven great to must prove he's not just a cushy-college fraud status overnight. 
  • Down there he more or less - if not absolutely - answers to nobody. He's the top of the food chain. Everywhere he goes in public down there, people probably point to him with starstruck OMG it's Dabo eyes, like they just saw Jesus himself and are blessed just to be walking on the same earth with him (though they probably think Dabo also walks on water, not merely on the dry land). 
  • Here, he'd have to answer to Douglas - even if the Jets keep the existing structure, JD is still the GM who has final say on picking the players - and/or to one of two dumbass Johnson brothers.
  • There's also only glowing local and national media writing & reporting about how marvelous he is; compare that to the treatment & second-guessing he'll have here from the likes of Manish Mehta & more.
  • The fans there are true believers in the Clemson religion and always will be. Jets fans are more like cult members too dumb to get out despite knowing they're in a cult and knowing how the cult makes no sense at all and all they do is complain about it (quite justifiably, I might add).

It's purely NFL-only football fans who think that becoming an NFL HC is the job every football coach truly desires. In reality it's not only a life downgrade from being the HC of a top NCAA program; it's a dramatic downgrade. Never mind coming to the NFL to coach the talent-barren Jets at that who are and have been more NFL punchline than NFL football team. 

Why would he possibly want to leave his perfect, dream life for this sh**show? Frankly if he's dumb enough to make such a terrible life decision then it shows he's a fraud with no brains anyway. 

Point taken. 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh he's not all that. He was a better OC than Cam Cameron, had a brief good stretch after being handed a SB level team he was already coaching, and I'm sure he's a better HC than Adam Gase (who coincidentally also had his biggest success with the same ready-made HOF QB).

As far as the Lions job, meh. His one 11-win season there was purely on the backs of the Suh-dominated defense, not Caldwell's 20 ppg offense. After being spotted a 5000-yard QB and two stud WRs, it took him 4 seasons to field a top-16 offense. FFS Calvin Johnson chose retirement (and repaying the Lions) rather than playing for him any more, even at his ungodly salary. 

But regardless, it's a dead-end hire the day it's announced. A lot of the goal in replacing Gase is going to be to convince FAs - and Lawrence - that the Jets aren't career poison, and that staying away from here (even taking less money elsewhere or staying in school another year) isn't the smart career move. Hiring 66 year-old Caldwell doesn't accomplish that. A hire of "He's better than Adam Gase" is not nearly enough of an upgrade.

He was a pretty successful HC at two stops.  One team historically the bottom of the NFL.  That was my point, not to bring him in as our next HC.  I just didnt get the joke of posting his name as if it had zero merit 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not a myth.  

We all know the appeal of being a big time HC at a big time college.  I get it.  But still its a notch below the NFL, benefits aside.  The NFL is the top of the coaching tree, you have to win while on somewhat equal footing, not because youre an Alabama or whoever and you walk onto a field just about every week knowing you out recruited the opponent just by showing up and have better talent across the board, that a loss is 90% of the time an upset

But the league is littered with successful college HC's who had to try and become successful in the NFL.  Saban included.

I just threw Dabo out as a half a joke, especially in light of everyone dumping out on Darnold and getting hard for Trevor

No, it is a myth that this is what every HC wants to be. Depends on his life goal. 

• If his life goal is to have coast-to-coast NFL fans remember him like Don Shula, yeah sure that's not going to happen in Clemson or Alabama.
  • If his life goal is to feel fulfilled and happy and surrounded by people who love him, only a f***ing moron would trade his life for Adam Gase's life. 

The league is littered with successful college HCs who try out the NFL yes, but it's uncommon when they've previously had zero NFL ties in their lives to date, and even more uncommon when they're already sitting on a $9-10MM/year gig. Unlike Saban, who's had NFL coaching jobs going back to the 80s and 90s, Dabo's whole life has been Alabama and Clemson; that's it. Probably the only time he's breathed the air outside those areas is for away games and maybe some family vacations.

There are plenty like this. Bobby Bowden could have landed an NFL HC job. I'm pretty sure he turned down such offers because, for him, it would have been a life downgrade. Not everyone gives a crap about the chance of being an NFL HC, let alone to coach for the Jets at that.

• Upvote 1