What big time college coaches could the jets target to replace Gase?

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was a pretty successful HC at two stops.  One team historically the bottom of the NFL.  That was my point, not to bring him in as our next HC.  I just didnt get the joke of posting his name as if it had zero merit 

I agree he's not a joke or the worst of the worst -- that's Adam Gase. I might not object to his being on the staff of whatever new coach is hired. But only if he's specifically hand-picked by the next HC, not because of another Jets arranged marriage that sends the best candidates running away. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny timing.  I was about to come here to a post new thread about a "rumor" I was told yesterday when visiting some old friends on the Iowa Strength staff. First off, I have no idea how true thi

Matt Campbell   Iowa State.     

Bring Dabo with Trevor

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JiF said:

That said the intriguing guys that come to mind in college are;  Matt Campbell, Kirby Smart, Luke Fickell, Chris Peterson - that's my short list but it's so hard to predict.  I'll be real, I had no clue about Matt Rhule when his name started circling. 

Bite your tongue!!!  Kirby is just fine where he is.

But seriously, he would need to show some more innovative offenses before I think he should be seriously considered for an NFL job.  He didn't seem to know what to do Justin Fields a few years ago.  He is a great recruiter and his teams play great defense in a wide open era of offensive football.  But on the other side of the ball, his offenses are designed to be conservative, run between the tackles, not turn the ball over, and score just enough points to win.  

I like him bringing in Moncken this year, but I still need to see a more innovative offense out of the Dawgs before I would think of Kirby as a strong NFL candidate. 

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

I dont understand this honestly. One would think it would be highly appealing. 

Hypothetically, IF we get the first pick...

- His golden boy QB.  

- Another 1st Rd pick. 

- Tons of cap space. 

- Multiple 1st Rds 2021. 

- Nowhere but up. 

I would add to this a young Franchise LT..means one less pick 1st round pick you to spend on a necessary piece.  

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it is a myth that this is what every HC wants to be. Depends on his life goal. 

• If his life goal is to have coast-to-coast NFL fans remember him like Don Shula, yeah sure that's not going to happen in Clemson or Alabama.
  • If his life goal is to feel fulfilled and happy and surrounded by people who love him, only a f***ing moron would trade his life for Adam Gase's life. 

The league is littered with successful college HCs who try out the NFL yes, but it's uncommon when they've previously had zero NFL ties in their lives to date, and even more uncommon when they're already sitting on a $9-10MM/year gig. Unlike Saban, who's had NFL coaching jobs going back to the 80s and 90s, Dabo's whole life has been Alabama and Clemson; that's it. Probably the only time he's breathed the air outside those areas is for away games and maybe some family vacations.

There are plenty like this. Bobby Bowden could have landed an NFL HC job. I'm pretty sure he turned down such offers because, for him, it would have been a life downgrade. Not everyone gives a crap about the chance of being an NFL HC, let alone to coach for the Jets at that.

I never said every HC, did I?  If I did I meant most

As I said before I get the appeal of a big time HC gig at a top school.  I dont need to be convinced of the quality of life part of the equation.  Theres nothing to convince me of here.  I get it.  

For me and you it might be enough.  These guys are top HCs, top of the food chain for a reason.  Theyre driven to be the best, not to be comfortable.  Thats not how most are wired.  

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is a myth among NFL-only fans (particularly big-market teams like NY that don't have a prominent college program anywhere near here, let alone with a NYC area identity). It's a huge mistake to believe that this matters to everyone -- or even to most people. 

He has a perfect life. Leaving Clemson, while he's on top of the world, to become the HC of the NYJ is a sub-moronic thing to do, and would be something done only by a person who just isn't smart.

You're mistaken in thinking he sees himself as insignificant small potatoes because he's not an NFL HC. He's living as close to his dream as possible, which is to be in Saban's shoes not Gase's shoes. 

Sometimes people like to challenge themselves.   
Your point of a perfect life might not very well be perfect to him. 

It’s not about prestige it’s about a new challenge. I suspect he’s a pretty competitive guy and competitive people don’t like being complacent.
exactly to your point he has everything and everyone in his pocket.  Now, he may love that but he also may want a new challenge. 

If he has been considering that new challenge than going with TL and the up I,omg available resources might be an attractive situation for him.

It happens all the time, you make it seem like top level, highly successful college coaches - with perfect lives - don’t ever leave for the NFL. Happens all the time.  

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Jim Harbaugh

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban.

Dabo Sweeney

Brian Kelly

ANY of the above coaches I would love to be able to hire.

It has to be Harbaugh.

Harbaugh demands respect right out of the gate. Dude has built and run his own NFL program and took it to a Super Bowl. Cut to the chase. I know for a fact that Harbaugh can coach in the NFL. Why hire a college guy only to realize after 2 - 3 years that the NFL isnt his cup of tea?

What I dont like about a college coach transitioning to the NFL is that he goes from college kids to coaching millionaires who know more about the NFL than he does. Who is going to take the rookie HC serious if he tries to be the hard axx? So, he winds up being a Butch Davis type players coach.

Who was the last college guru to make it big in NFL as a HC? Pete Carrol had prior NFL experience at HC.

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

It has to be Harbaugh.

I don’t see a successful college coach leaving one of the premier schools, particularly down South, for all of the reasons described above.

Harbaugh?  I get the sense that the bloom is off the rose on both sides at Michigan.  

In the big picture, I think the Southern schools are going to pull away from the others in terms of level of commitment to football.  You can see it already.  

Harbaugh would be the type of guy who could make a difference here.  He would want a Gruden type deal, and I think JD’s contract is going to constrain them.  

What is important is that the Johnson’s step back from football operations.   No FA is coming here.  Who knows what Trevor does. 

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

What is the David Shaw appeal for some of you guys? I've never understood it. 

Me neither.  His offense is dated as hell and wouldn't do us any favors. Recently had a family friend who's kid went to play for Shaw, a WR.  And I told him, "Shaw's offense only helps TE's.  Not WR's."  But he wants his kid to go to medical action.  Playing the smart move there I guess.

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Me neither.  His offense is dated as hell and wouldn't do us any favors. Recently had a family friend who's kid went to play for Shaw, a WR.  And I told him, "Shaw's offense only helps TE's.  Not WR's."  But he wants his kid to go to medical action.  Playing the smart move there I guess.

His offense has produced about 2 draft picks per season since he got there, and that excludes the TEs.  So while it may not "help" WRs, it certainly doesn't only help TEs.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Lith said:

Bite your tongue!!!  Kirby is just fine where he is.

But seriously, he would need to show some more innovative offenses before I think he should be seriously considered for an NFL job.  He didn't seem to know what to do Justin Fields a few years ago.  He is a great recruiter and his teams play great defense in a wide open era of offensive football.  But on the other side of the ball, his offenses are designed to be conservative, run between the tackles, not turn the ball over, and score just enough points to win.  

I like him bringing in Moncken this year, but I still need to see a more innovative offense out of the Dawgs before I would think of Kirby as a strong NFL candidate. 

I see Kirby as an NFL HC not for the ingenuity he brings to the game but rather the stability.  He’s a win at the LOS guy and I think if that’s your makeup you know how to build the right way.  And I would trust him to build a coaching staff where he didn’t need to be the expert in the room. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

I see Kirby as an NFL HC not for the ingenuity he brings to the game but rather the stability.  He’s a win at the LOS guy and I think if that’s your makeup you know how to build the right way.  And I would trust him to build a coaching staff where he didn’t need to be the expert in the room. 

I get what you are saying, and I still think bringing in Moncken was a great hire.  But I still see him as a conservative, defense first kind of guy who will need to open things up on offense to beat the best teams.  We have been really good uner Kirby, but aside from the Rose Bowl win against Oklahoma, we have never had the offensive explosiveness needed to beat the top 2 or 3 teams in the country.  We are always right in that 4-6  discussion, but have not been able to get over the top.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I get what you are saying, and I still think bringing in Moncken was a great hire.  But I still see him as a conservative, defense first kind of guy who will need to open things up on offense to beat the best teams.  We have been really good uner Kirby, but aside from the Rose Bowl win against Oklahoma, we have never had the offensive explosiveness needed to beat the top 2 or 3 teams in the country.  We are always right in that 4-6  discussion, but have not been able to get over the top.

For sure and I think that had a lot to do with the QB which to your point is concerning but again the stability.  He wouldn’t necessarily have to work through that if the QB was in place or set up to be in place. 

PJ Fleck from the U. Of Minnesota is sort of in the Matt Rhule mood.  He has turned MN into a national power and has developed several Gophers into NFL players. 

Hiring Roman or Daboll because of their offensive experience will be short sighted.  We need someone that will reset the culture in our organization.  

Right now the only defensive starter guaranteed to return is Q and he may be traded.  We are going to need a HC who knows how to teach.  Not another coordinator that is going to want to sign and play jag players that have played for them before.  We are going to need to play most of our draft picks.  

Turn around our culture so we can start using all of our cap space on free agents who would be willing to come here.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, SR24 said:

Joe Brady and don’t **** it up. None of the “well appoint your staff” horse sh*t that happened with Ruhle 

This is who I would like.  I also want to see how the teams in the division fare the second time around against him after having some game film on him and if hes able to adjust in game if they are shutting him down.

10 hours ago, Pcola said:

PJ Fleck from the U. Of Minnesota is sort of in the Matt Rhule mood.  He has turned MN into a national power and has developed several Gophers into NFL players. 

Hiring Roman or Daboll because of their offensive experience will be short sighted.  We need someone that will reset the culture in our organization.  

Right now the only defensive starter guaranteed to return is Q and he may be traded.  We are going to need a HC who knows how to teach.  Not another coordinator that is going to want to sign and play jag players that have played for them before.  We are going to need to play most of our draft picks.  

Turn around our culture so we can start using all of our cap space on free agents who would be willing to come here.  

I don't know anything about Fleck, but I agree that changing the culture is the most important factor. 

• Upvote 1
On 10/17/2020 at 9:45 AM, sec101row23 said:

Trevor may not have a choice, Dabo will.   There is literally zero chance Dabo comes to New York.  

What about Venables? I know that would be extremely outside the box. Has a college DC ever left to become a pro HC. Idk id give it a shot, someone who has been around wining for a long time and is extremely respected. Even if it didnt work out, at least it would be something new lol

On 10/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

James Franklin is terrible at actually coaching football. 

How about Moorhead? Interested to see what he does at Oregon at OC. Dude was the main reason for the teams Rose Bowl run a few years ago. Dont understand why Miss State gave up on him so quick (for fraud mike leach toboot lol)

On 10/17/2020 at 10:39 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

How about PJ Fleck?

He's on the same career path as Ruhle just younger and more energetic. 

This would be my number 1 choice but he seems very committed to Minnesota right now.

3 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

What about Venables? I know that would be extremely outside the box. Has a college DC ever left to become a pro HC. Idk id give it a shot, someone who has been around wining for a long time and is extremely respected. Even if it didnt work out, at least it would be something new lol

Venables has turned down multiple interviews for top NCAA programs.  I don't think he'd be interested in the job security the NY Jets are offering, 

Just now, Ruby2 said:

How about Moorhead? Interested to see what he does at Oregon at OC. Dude was the main reason for the teams Rose Bowl run a few years ago. Dont understand why Miss State gave up on him so quick (for fraud mike leach toboot lol)

Yes, I'm interested as a OC.

No, for a failed head coach.  

• Upvote 1
On 10/17/2020 at 9:59 AM, SAR I said:

Perhaps.  Doesn't matter.  No more rookie head coaches.

SAR I

All the best coaches in the league sans Belli and Reid are "rookie" head coaches. Who was the last retread to do anything? Kubiak one year handed an insane defense? I guess the next would be Reid.

Rookie coaches might not always work out, but there is 0 guarantee retreads do. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Ruby2 said:

All the best coaches in the league sans Belli and Reid are "rookie" head coaches. Who was the last retread to do anything? Kubiak one year handed an insane defense? I guess the next would be Reid.

Rookie coaches might not always work out, but there is 0 guarantee retreads do. 

Rookie head coaches don't do anything in New York.  Not sure why.  Probably because it's an overwhelming market where the fans and media are out for blood.  I heard a rumor that Jets fans once tried to run their brand new head coach out of town after 4 games.  Can you imagine?

SAR I

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Venables has turned down multiple interviews for top NCAA programs.  I don't think he'd be interested in the job security the NY Jets are offering, 

Yes, I'm interested as a OC.

No, for a failed head coach.  

I hear you but how exactly did he fail as a head coach, 14-12 at Miss State, like its Miss State, what do they expect lol

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Rookie head coaches don't do anything in New York.  Not sure why.  Probably because it's an overwhelming market where the fans and media are out for blood.  I heard a rumor that Jets fans once tried to run their brand new head coach out of town after 4 games.  Can you imagine?

SAR I

That is a fair point about our absolute dogcrap media, and the pressure here. I dont necessarily see any retread doing much better in that regard but conceptually you have a point.

10 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

That is a fair point about our absolute dogcrap media, and the pressure here. I dont necessarily see any retread doing much better in that regard but conceptually you have a point.

Yeah, it's just toxic here.  20 million people, Jets an easy target, their fans always angry, it's a complete mess.  Losing sucks, but losing in New York is a whole different situation. 

Just when the paint was drying on Jennifer Gase's new kitchen, she's fending off hundreds of texts and Facebook posts from concerned friends about planes flying and billboards arising demanding her husband's firing.  It's just wrong.  I can't see how any great/young HC prospect would take this job.  It's why we keep getting bottom-of-barrel candidates like Edwards, Ryan, Bowles, etc.  It's why we're fortunate that someone like Gase would come here.  And why we need to give him more time before throwing him away.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I can't see how any great/young HC prospect would take this job.  It's why we keep getting bottom-of-barrel candidates like Edwards, Ryan, Bowles, etc.  It's why we're fortunate that someone like Gase would come here.

SAR I

Gase wouldn’t be a HC right now if it wasn’t for the Jets

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
1 minute ago, GangGreened said:

Gase wouldn’t be a HC right now if it wasn’t for the Jets

You don't know that.  Put Gase on the Chiefs and Reid on the Jets, you'd be begging for Gase.

Head coaches don't matter until the team is ready to win.  We are far away from that.  Gase will have the time he needs to get this thing turned around.  And when Douglas has the players in place and ready to win he'll decide at that time if Gase is the right guy for the job.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You don't know that.  Put Gase on the Chiefs and Reid on the Jets, you'd be begging for Gase.

Head coaches don't matter until the team is ready to win.  We are far away from that.  Gase will have the time he needs to get this thing turned around.  And when Douglas has the players in place and ready to win he'll decide at that time if Gase is the right guy for the job.

SAR I

IF... IF Gase stays he needs to fire the OC and hire a real one.  One that calls the plays and runs the show. 

Only way this works. 

12 hours ago, Pcola said:

And you know that either couldn't because of what, the teams they've coached on havent reset the culture of their organization?  The Bills were far worse off than the Jets the Ravens dont have a culture of success and havent retained it?  

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yeah because Gases track record and Reids arent on two different levels.  

Come on, using your critic of NY, Reid would have commanded immediate respect from the NY media, would have been viewed as a great hire.  As opposed to Gase being a questionable hire given he won nothing in Miami and the cloud that surrounded him over relationships with his players.  So if its a media or fanbase thing, Reids a better hire in every way, on every level and I'd bet wouldn't have left us praying for the top pick.  

• Upvote 1