What big time college coaches could the jets target to replace Gase?

12 hours ago, Pcola said:

PJ Fleck from the U. Of Minnesota is sort of in the Matt Rhule mood.  He has turned MN into a national power and has developed several Gophers into NFL players. 

Hiring Roman or Daboll because of their offensive experience will be short sighted.  We need someone that will reset the culture in our organization.  

Right now the only defensive starter guaranteed to return is Q and he may be traded.  We are going to need a HC who knows how to teach.  Not another coordinator that is going to want to sign and play jag players that have played for them before.  We are going to need to play most of our draft picks.  

Turn around our culture so we can start using all of our cap space on free agents who would be willing to come here.  

Fleck's used car schtick would last about 3 days in the NFL before they tuned out his "row the boat"  stuff.  Fleck would be a disaster in the NFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny timing.  I was about to come here to a post new thread about a "rumor" I was told yesterday when visiting some old friends on the Iowa Strength staff. First off, I have no idea how true thi

Matt Campbell   Iowa State.     

Bring Dabo with Trevor

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You don't know that.  Put Gase on the Chiefs and Reid on the Jets, you'd be begging for Gase.

Head coaches don't matter until the team is ready to win.  We are far away from that.  Gase will have the time he needs to get this thing turned around.  And when Douglas has the players in place and ready to win he'll decide at that time if Gase is the right guy for the job.

SAR I

Gase won’t be here next year.

And maybe your argument would hold a little water if he actually fielded a competitive team. Instead he loses by 10+ every week.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, it's just toxic here.  20 million people, Jets an easy target, their fans always angry, it's a complete mess.  Losing sucks, but losing in New York is a whole different situation. 

Just when the paint was drying on Jennifer Gase's new kitchen, she's fending off hundreds of texts and Facebook posts from concerned friends about planes flying and billboards arising demanding her husband's firing.  It's just wrong.  I can't see how any great/young HC prospect would take this job.  It's why we keep getting bottom-of-barrel candidates like Edwards, Ryan, Bowles, etc.  It's why we're fortunate that someone like Gase would come here.  And why we need to give him more time before throwing him away.

SAR I

54DC0034-AFAF-44A4-A78D-1B4A191D6F67.jpeg

• Haha 1
On 10/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, BettyBoop said:

Jeff Monken, Army

A good one. Also-Bob Chesney, Holy Cross. Same idea; buy in early on a sharp guy that does way more with less in a tough job. But the Johnsons simply don't have that kind of foresight or we wouldn't be in this mess.

The big time college guys (Swinney, J.Harbaugh, Meyer) will want 1. control and 2 money. The Johnsons are stupid and cheap.

They will AGAIN wind up with The Next Bland NFL Coordinator after the Exhaustive Search by 3rd Party Brilliant Football Minds. People with functioning grey matter wouldn't let Charlie Cassserly wash their car. Bill Bellichick openly mocked all that. The Johnsons took his counsel and paid him to boot. 

This is where the Rooneys, or Maras, among others,  have us beat. They know football . Johnsons have NO CLUE AT ALL. Granted the Maras may  make mistakes, but they'll cut bait and move on. 

On 10/17/2020 at 12:09 PM, jetophile said:

Point taken, not belaboring it. It was just a microcosm of Herms hilarious body of work. It's still funny to this day and probably always will be. Guy is a great motivator, no question. We're on the bus.

But he is horrible at game decisions and has not a clue how offense works. Nice man, but he had no business being anything more in the NFL but DC. And really his Cover Who defense was usually really bad at the end of games.The Quincy Carter/Ravens game ....

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

But he is horrible at game decisions and has not a clue how offense works. Nice man, but he had no business being anything more in the NFL but DC. And really his Cover Who defense was usually really bad at the end of games.The Quincy Carter/Ravens game ....

Remember when he said that Ron Mexico was like a chicken that you had a chase around the yard? Sweep the corners! I was in it for the comedy when it was all over because that's all I had left. Yeah, agreed very nice man; but I know, I know, that a handful of pennies won't get me on the subway.

He's done very well for himself outside of coaching Arizona State on the lecture circuit. Good for Herm.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

Funny timing.  I was about to come here to a post new thread about a "rumor" I was told yesterday when visiting some old friends on the Iowa Strength staff.

First off, I have no idea how true this is, but I don't know why the person who told me would pull my leg.

So the story is I go down to visit a good friend who is part of the Iowa S&C staff.  I have a Jets hat on.  I'm talking to my buddy and one of his colleagues.  After awhile the conversation switched to the Jets.  Yada yada small talk.  We all joke about how bad they are etc.  And the colleague mentions that he knows Joe Douglas from "their early days".  He doesn't expand on that and I don't press him on it.  Anyway he's very complimentary of JD etc.  At some point I bring up about how I'm sure Gase will be fired etc.  This guy then tells me don't be surprised if you hear the name David Shaw.  Apparently JD and Shaw know each other(which when I got home I realized they both were with the Ravens at the same time for a stretch) and that Douglas had been at a lot of Stanford pro days and practices in the past.  And that basically ended anything interesting or Jets related

So that's it.  That is the story.  I have no idea if any of that is true,but I don't know why this guy would make it up.  I don't know this colleague very well outside of about 2 or 3 previous brief conversations.  He didn't say anything about Shaw's desire to leave Stanford or anything like that as I'm sure he doesn't know.

Just thought I'd share, even though it may be useless info.

Shaw is the perfect guy for the Jets but I just don't think he'll ever leave Stanford. Great coach.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, playtowinthegame said:

I think he's the closest thing to Andy Reid. I'm shocked your down on him. He won Super Bowl with a backup who should have stayed his starter. 

The Eagles offense hasn't been the same since Frank Reich left.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Fleck's used car schtick would last about 3 days in the NFL before they tuned out his "row the boat"  stuff.  Fleck would be a disaster in the NFL.

Well let’s assume that his X’s and O’s could take precedent over how he motivates his current student athletes.  And just maybe he could come up with different methods of motivating his professional athletes.  While we are not talking about the Jets bringing in Lou Holtz to write a Jets fight song, whoever we bring in is going to have to bring out the most of a very young roster.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And you know that either couldn't because of what, the teams they've coached on havent reset the culture of their organization?  The Bills were far worse off than the Jets the Ravens dont have a culture of success and havent retained it?  

This wasn’t a knock on either candidate, just that at least in Roman’s case, the culture that Harbaugh has created in Baltimore could be taken for granted.  For any first time head coach coming in here is a hard enough learning curve, having to deal with the NY media, but also having to break the losing, tanking culture this team has had For most of the past 10 years, can they handle it?  Daboll has seen disfunction before.  But no matter how much he has learned from McDermott, McDermott doesn’t have to deal with the NY media.  He was able to build that Buffalo roster with little to no scrutiny.  It’s much easier to have a great culture in Buffalo.  In NY everything that a player or assistant says is overanalyzed and looks poorly on the head coach.

Matt Rhule turned over Temple and Baylor.  Fleck turned over E. Mich and Minnesota.  We need an organizer who can bring in talented coaches that can develop all of the draft picks we have the next couple of years.

We screwed up Darnold.  If we don’t turn this around soon, the Johnsons are going to run off a good portion of the fan base.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

What about Venables? I know that would be extremely outside the box. Has a college DC ever left to become a pro HC. Idk id give it a shot, someone who has been around wining for a long time and is extremely respected. Even if it didnt work out, at least it would be something new lol

Venables is the highest paid assistant coach in the country.   His boys are playing for Clemson and are Sophomores.   He’s not going anywhere for a few years.  Aside from Dabo, Venables and Jeff Scott are the two most responsible for Clemson’s success over the last 8 or so years.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Pcola said:

This wasn’t a knock on either candidate, just that at least in Roman’s case, the culture that Harbaugh has created in Baltimore could be taken for granted.  For any first time head coach coming in here is a hard enough learning curve, having to deal with the NY media, but also having to break the losing, tanking culture this team has had For most of the past 10 years, can they handle it?  Daboll has seen disfunction before.  But no matter how much he has learned from McDermott, McDermott doesn’t have to deal with the NY media.

I hear what youre saying but I think the NY media is a crutch.  The NY media in just about every case, every hire that wasn't considered a failure from day one like with Gase, every candidate from Herm to Mangini to Rex to Bowles were all given a fair chance to show what they could do with the team.  None were given any harder a case as other major cities give their new hires.  Judge is given a chance to change the Giants culture.  But a clown like McAdoo wasn't.  

Its too hard to find that perfect HC, the one who has already turned an org around and would command immediate respect from the media and lets not forget, the fan base.  

• Upvote 1

If we’re looking for a guy that has been a successful nfl coach that is available I think Chuck Pagano would be an excellent choice. I believe that he is healthy again, he is well respected, and was very successful at Indy. Even though he has a defensive background he has hired good offensive coordinators in the past and has a a Ravens connection.

On 10/17/2020 at 12:45 PM, FidelioJet said:

Sometimes people like to challenge themselves.   
Your point of a perfect life might not very well be perfect to him. 

It’s not about prestige it’s about a new challenge. I suspect he’s a pretty competitive guy and competitive people don’t like being complacent.
exactly to your point he has everything and everyone in his pocket.  Now, he may love that but he also may want a new challenge. 

If he has been considering that new challenge than going with TL and the up I,omg available resources might be an attractive situation for him.

It happens all the time, you make it seem like top level, highly successful college coaches - with perfect lives - don’t ever leave for the NFL. Happens all the time.  

On 10/17/2020 at 12:34 PM, Jet Nut said:

I never said every HC, did I?  If I did I meant most

As I said before I get the appeal of a big time HC gig at a top school.  I dont need to be convinced of the quality of life part of the equation.  Theres nothing to convince me of here.  I get it.  

For me and you it might be enough.  These guys are top HCs, top of the food chain for a reason.  Theyre driven to be the best, not to be comfortable.  Thats not how most are wired.  

Challenge shmallenge. This guy's a career college-only guy. He has no experience, at any point in his life, of playing or coaching grown men - let alone multi-millionaire grown men - as opposed to college kids who have to listen to him like Master. If he merely wanted a bigger challenge, he can go coach a different college team that doesn't get the crème de la crème of HS recruits. 

This particular person is all we're talking about. The presumption is he would be one of those who needs this extra challenge - and sees the NFL as more of a challenge than sustaining success at Clemson until Saban retires - when my point is there's nothing in it for him & that's not the challenge he's seeking. He's a very religious, small-town (or big town, but not major city) guy, whose life bubble has always been on or just outside a college campus. To someone like him the apex of accomplishment or status or whatever in life is to be national champion HC of his alma mater. 

There is no chance he'd see coaching the Jets as an upgrade in any way. The automatic presumption that this coach sees Don Shula and Bill Belichick as having more "legend" shine on their balls or food chain toppiness than Bear Bryant, pre-scandal Joe Paterno, or Bobby Bowden -- this is a presumption that only NFL fans think all (or even most) college coaches share. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

IF... IF Gase stays he needs to fire the OC and hire a real one.  One that calls the plays and runs the show. 

Only way this works. 

I've been saying that for months.  Gase is potentially a very good HC and we should let him get an OC and a playcaller.  Gase has the right demeanor for NY and knows how to control a locker room.  Parcells had Henning, didn't have to worry about that crap.  He just focused on organizational strategy, motivation, and attention to detail.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I've been saying that for months.  Gase is potentially a very good HC and we should let him get an OC and a playcaller.  Gase has the right demeanor for NY and knows how to control a locker room.  Parcells had Henning, didn't have to worry about that crap.  He just focused on organizational strategy, motivation, and attention to detail.

SAR I

Gase was hired for his offense. So now you are saying let's let the guy go winless, fire his offense and bring in a new offense while keeping Gase. The players hate Gase, the media hates Gase. The fans hate Gase. All he does is make his players play worse and lose games. Oh and his conditioning program is terrible, so the players always get hurt.

But yes, let's double down on Gase.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
3 hours ago, GangGreened said:

Gase won’t be here next year.

And maybe your argument would hold a little water if he actually fielded a competitive team. Instead he loses by 10+ every week.

The roster is the worst in the NFL and the injuries are the worst in the NFL.  There is no way to field a competitive team under those circumstances.  And that's on offense.

On defense, we have some players.  They just aren't responding to Gregg Williams as they did last year.  Had the defense lived up to expectations, we'd be 2-3 right now, perhaps 3-2.  

SAR I

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Gase was hired for his offense. So now you are saying let's let the guy go winless, fire his offense and bring in a new offense while keeping Gase. The players hate Gase, the media hates Gase. The fans hate Gase. All he does is make his players play worse and lose games. Oh and his conditioning program is terrible, so the players always get hurt.

But yes, let's double down on Gase.

It would be just like the Jets to be looking for a great offensive coordinator and accidentally finding a great head coach.

And that's what I think we are seeing.  That the Parcells-like vicious leader that can control a locker room, run interference with the media, and pick the right players is right here under our noses.  Get him an OC, get him a playcaller, and let him just be the HC.

SAR I

59 minutes ago, Joejet said:

If we’re looking for a guy that has been a successful nfl coach that is available I think Chuck Pagano would be an excellent choice. I believe that he is healthy again, he is well respected, and was very successful at Indy. Even though he has a defensive background he has hired good offensive coordinators in the past and has a a Ravens connection.

Really?  I thought he was flat out bad for indy, at least near the end of his tenure.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Todd Monken or David Shaw IMO.

I wouldn't be shocked if David Shaw gains some steam. His resume is interesting and it would make a lot of sense for the Jets to go the college head coach route.  I would be surprised if the Jets next head coach called the plays, but he has to be an offensive guy. Shaw seems to fit that mold.

No way would they go Monken, they passed last time and his stock dropped since then. That would be a tough sell and ticket sales will be a big part of this.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The roster is the worst in the NFL and the injuries are the worst in the NFL.  There is no way to field a competitive team under those circumstances.  And that's on offense.

On defense, we have some players.  They just aren't responding to Gregg Williams as they did last year.  Had the defense lived up to expectations, we'd be 2-3 right now, perhaps 3-2.  

SAR I

They should start by fixing that problem first. The answer there is firing Gase. Every year his teams are hurt. Tannehill missed a year under Gase I believe. Mosley was hurt last year. Everyone was hurt last year. Everyone is hurt this year. The Jets fired one trainer and changed nothing else.

Gase gets fired for the injury situation and history alone.

It would be just like the Jets to be looking for a great offensive coordinator and accidentally finding a great head coach.

And that's what I think we are seeing.  That the Parcells-like vicious leader that can control a locker room, run interference with the media, and pick the right players is right here under our noses.  Get him an OC, get him a playcaller, and let him just be the HC.

SAR I

We have a great OC as it is.  I think we should fire Gase and promote Dowell Loggains.

SAR I

If that is what you are seeing I suggest an eye exam.

Nobody else in the world is seeing that. Parcells was good at game plans and adjustments. Gase is good at blaming others.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Really?  I thought he was flat out bad for indy, at least near the end of his tenure.

Three 11-5, two 8-8, 4-12 his last year when Luck was injured and didn’t play all year.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Challenge shmallenge. This guy's a career college-only guy. He has no experience, at any point in his life, of playing or coaching grown men - let alone multi-millionaire grown men - as opposed to college kids who have to listen to him like Master. If he merely wanted a bigger challenge, he can go coach a different college team that doesn't get the crème de la crème of HS recruits. 

This particular person is all we're talking about. The presumption is he would be one of those who needs this extra challenge - and sees the NFL as more of a challenge than sustaining success at Clemson until Saban retires - when my point is there's nothing in it for him & that's not the challenge he's seeking. He's a very religious, small-town (or big town, but not major city) guy, whose life bubble has always been on or just outside a college campus. To someone like him the apex of accomplishment or status or whatever in life is to be national champion HC of his alma mater. 

There is no chance he'd see coaching the Jets as an upgrade in any way. The automatic presumption that this coach sees Don Shula and Bill Belichick as having more "legend" shine on their balls or food chain toppiness than Bear Bryant, pre-scandal Joe Paterno, or Bobby Bowden -- this is a presumption that only NFL fans think all (or even most) college coaches share. 

Sorry cant agree.  NFL is top of the food chain, I could care less if youre in NYC without a college team that counts of somewhere else with options.  College coaches, in a handful of cities carry clout.  

Problems start when you think these types of personalities think like fans, are happy with being a big fish in a small pond over being with the big boys in the top league for their sports

Its not a big deal, outside of a Harbaugh, Dabo or Saban type, some NFL team will give a college hotshot an offer and they'll take it.  If they dont, they dont and again there will be no proof, its all opinion, no way we can prove it as fact

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

We should be 5-0 right now, right?

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, GangGreened said:

We should be 5-0 right now, right?

Gase is doing the true rebuild.  He’s purposely making the team suck.  After he drafts Trevor the roster will suddenly play amazing and Sam will be in the XFL where he belongs 

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Sorry cant agree.  NFL is top of the food chain, I could care less if youre in NYC without a college team that counts of somewhere else with options.  College coaches, in a handful of cities carry clout.  

Problems start when you think these types of personalities think like fans, are happy with being a big fish in a small pond over being with the big boys in the top league for their sports

Its not a big deal, outside of a Harbaugh, Dabo or Saban type, some NFL team will give a college hotshot an offer and they'll take it.  If they dont, they dont and again there will be no proof, its all opinion, no way we can prove it as fact

Think there's been a shift lately. Swinney is making $10 million in salary,and God knows how much in endorsements. NYC is not really needed to complete things. And it's dirty, unpleasant and expensive. He, like Saban, probably only has to recruit when he closes the deal on a few high end recruits. It's a short season, and he's king of the castle. Clemson being in the ACC is a lock for bCS consideration every season. Definitely make the phone call, but doubt it gets any where. Unless you give him a very big pile of money and equity in the team. And the Johnsons are cheap f---s so...