Jump to content

Hymie Elhai again


AFJF

Recommended Posts

Some of you may have seen the JetNation radio interview thread with Marty Lyons yesterday which was a lot of fun to do.  But if you didn't hear it, there was one thing that really jumped out and scared the hell out of me.

I started a thread the other day to point out the fact that Adam Gase mentioned team president Hymie Elhai as being a part of the decision making in terms of when Sam Darnold should return from injury.  Elhai is not a doctor.  He is not a football personnel guy.  He's a team president with no football background other than being friendly with the Johnsons.

Then during the interview with Marty yesterday, unprompted, he says "Joe Douglas and Hymie Elhai are at the foundation and realize they have a lot of work to do"

Folks, we don't even know who is making the decisions at 1 Jets drive.  They tell us Joe D is the GM, but trading for Kalen Ballage before signing Kalen Ballage was 100% ordered by Gase.  He drafted him out of college and coached him with the Dolphins.  He was a Gase guy.  When they needed a receiver last season, Joe D traded for Demaryius Thomas, another Gase guy.  Of course Joe D denied it, but reports of him working with budget restriction sure looked legit this offseason.  Are those restrictions coming from ownership or the team president with a business background?

Now people who work for the team are saying publicly that Hymie Elhai is in the room to make major decisions?  His bio on the team's web site also says he's in place to guide Gase and Douglas in their responsibilities.

 

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting. Thanks for shedding light  on this guy and on how powerful this guy may be. But, would anyone here really be that surprised if a non football guy may be pulling the strings?

i certainly am not. It’s a classic Johnson move.

Why the brothers Johnson think that they should run their football team like Johnson and Johnson is beyond me. Oh wait I do. Profits. Like it or not, owning a NFL franchise is a guaranteed money maker. Even doorknobs can own one and stand to double their initial investment in the span of 10 years or so. So, it doesn’t matter that a guy who’s got no clue about football runs the show. So long as the balance book balances, the Johnsons are happy.


I’ve been in business for close to 30 years. I was young when I did. What I lacked in experience, I made up in drive. All I wanted was to be successful but I didn’t know how .

So, I did like most did. I looked around and researched just who’s successful. Once I found them, I applied those same successful traits  to my own practice. I did so to survive and thrive. The Johnsons being born on 3rd base never had to. I wonder if they ever asked themselves, how do the Rooneys do it? Nah...

The Johnsons are the problem. And wait until Woody returns!!! 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If true, we should all look for a new team to root for.  The Johnson's need to sell this team. How much would every JET fan need to contribute (lol) in order to buyout this franchise ?  We can be the Green Bay of the east.

Seriously, we need a petition or something to send to the league offices, and demand that our owners give up their rights to do anything other than write checks... They need to demand that the Johnson's hire a POFO to take over FOOTBALL operations like they did for the NYG when they forced them to hire George Young.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I simply dont understand why football isnt one part of the organization and business is a separate one - why on earth do they need to be blurred whatsoever?  

When looking at anything to do with the roster the only people making the decision should be JD, Gase and the guys JD brought with him to be his personnel group.

If there is something to do with sponsorships, stadium, apparel, etc there is very little reason for JD to be part of that discussion and the Johnsons and Hymie can do that.  

If the Johnsons wanted guidance on a GM and looked to Hymie, thats not great but also not the end of the world, but this NEEDS to be JD's ship to captain.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Some of you may have seen the JetNation radio interview thread with Marty Lyons yesterday which was a lot of fun to do.  But if you didn't hear it, there was one thing that really jumped out and scared the hell out of me.

I started a thread the other day to point out the fact that Adam Gase mentioned team president Hymie Elhai as being a part of the decision making in terms of when Sam Darnold should return from injury.  Elhai is not a doctor.  He is not a football personnel guy.  He's a team president with no football background other than being friendly with the Johnsons.

Then during the interview with Marty yesterday, unprompted, he says "Joe Douglas and Hymie Elhai are at the foundation and realize they have a lot of work to do"

Folks, we don't even know who is making the decisions at 1 Jets drive.  They tell us Joe D is the GM, but trading for Kalen Ballage before signing Kalen Ballage was 100% ordered by Gase.  He drafted him out of college and coached him with the Dolphins.  He was a Gase guy.  When they needed a receiver last season, Joe D traded for Demaryius Thomas, another Gase guy.  Of course Joe D denied it, but reports of him working with budget restriction sure looked legit this offseason.  Are those restrictions coming from ownership or the team president with a business background?

Now people who work for the team are saying publicly that Hymie Elhai is in the room to make major decisions?  His bio on the team's web site also says he's in place to guide Gase and Douglas in their responsibilities.

 

new here willy wonka GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is actually the first thing to worry me about landing a big time coach.

It’s one thing for this guy to be running non-football, business decisions - but making calls on when a player should be brought back, that’s quite worriesome.

Unless its to remind those who only wanting a player to get back on the field as soon a possible that theres a monitary aspect to rushing a player back 

I seriously doubt Hymie is deciding when players are able to play or not, carrying any real weight in that decision.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are overthinking this whole thing. The guy is the President of the organization & probably wanted to be informed on the decisions being made with Bell who the Jets paid a lot of to for NOTHING. 

WOULDNT YOU WANT TO BE INFORMED IF YOUR THE PRESIDENT? 

Joe Douglas is in charge of personnel. He has a 6 year contract. Bringing in Gase guys in a crappy free agent market is no shocker. Coaches bring in familiar guys. Gase & Douglas are working in unison. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Joe Douglas was going to be the hot commodity in GM corners after the 2019 season. He had options. He knew he had options. 

 

I find it hard to believe he would have taken this position if he knew he was not going to have control of player personnel decisions. Gase is clearly involved, but until he says it himself,  I will believe JD has final say on all personnel decisions. As far as this Hymie guy, he might also have a vote, but there is no way you lure a top GM prospect to this team by saying he has a "say" in personnel, he would have to have been promised "final say".

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This doesn’t sound like all he’s doing is counting beans:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/elitesportsny.com/2019/09/03/new-york-jets-name-hymie-elhai-team-president/amp/
 

“For over 20 years Hymie has developed a deep level of respect from both sides of the building,” Johnson added in the same release. “Over that time, he has grown to be an invaluable and trusted confidant for many, including, in recent years, myself.  Specifically, I witnessed first-hand, his leadership, communication and organizational acumen during our recent head coach and general manager searches. I expect Hymie to be a key unifier, working alongside Adam and Joe, for our organization moving forward.”

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zonajetfan said:

Joe Douglas was going to be the hot commodity in GM corners after the 2019 season. He had options. He knew he had options. 

 

I find it hard to believe he would have taken this position if he knew he was not going to have control of player personnel decisions. Gase is clearly involved, but until he says it himself,  I will believe JD has final say on all personnel decisions. As far as this Hymie guy, he might also have a vote, but there is no way you lure a top GM prospect to this team by saying he has a "say" in personnel, he would have to have been promised "final say".

The comment wasn't about player personnel decisions, it was about the foundation of the team.

Exactly what a CEO and his financial guy would be involved in

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This doesn’t sound like all he’s doing is counting beans:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/elitesportsny.com/2019/09/03/new-york-jets-name-hymie-elhai-team-president/amp/
 

“For over 20 years Hymie has developed a deep level of respect from both sides of the building,” Johnson added in the same release. “Over that time, he has grown to be an invaluable and trusted confidant for many, including, in recent years, myself.  Specifically, I witnessed first-hand, his leadership, communication and organizational acumen during our recent head coach and general manager searches. I expect Hymie to be a key unifier, working alongside Adam and Joe, for our organization moving forward.”

 

But he's not a "football guy." That argument always is lame to me. How may football players absolutely SUCKED as a GM/President? Matt Millen comes to mind. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Money ball works.  Unloading high priced talent that has underperformed, tanking for Trevor and sitting on a ton of draft picks.  Not to mention our 2020 draft class is being preserved in a pickle jar to keep them well preserved for next season.  

  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Unless its to remind those who only wanting a player to get back on the field as soon a possible that theres a monitary aspect to rushing a player back 

I seriously doubt Hymie is deciding when players are able to play or not, carrying any real weight in that decision.

Nah...It’s the doctors and coaches call.  There should be no monetary aspect. 

Should not the GM’s and certainly not the President with no background in football.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah...It’s the doctors and coaches call.  There should be no monetary aspect. 

Should not the GM’s and certainly not the President with no background in football.

Youre right.

But it sometimes is good to have someone reminding the coaches of the financial investment involved in players and that it might be prudent to wait a week.

There isnt a chance in hell that Hymie has any real weight in these decisions.  I dont care that the new guy was proper up as part of the decision making process.  Its nuts to think hes deeply involved in anything personnel wise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Folks, we don't even know who is making the decisions at 1 Jets drive. 

Between Douglas (Ozzie Newsome protégé) and Gase (Nick Saban protégé) we have enough "football man" in the building.  So the team President weighs in with an opinion now and then on cap management and contracts?  That's not unusual.

Elhai has been with the Jets for 21 years.  He started as an intern and worked his way up through all levels in the organization, most recently business affairs and legal.  He's seen more Jets games and more Jets players than any fans in this forum, I'd bet we've run across him in here, he knows what's what.  He's a "football man" as well.

SAR I

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Smart owners recognize when they do not have the acumen to build an on-field product. Smart owners get brilliant people beside them and ask them to create an organizational structure based upon a shared (the owner and on-field operations) strategy, and then step aside and let the operations people do their job. They create a "check with me" system where they have regular updates along with needs, and set a budget, but they basically leave it to the experts to do their magic.

Woody thought he was getting that when he was buying the Jets, with Parcells. Parcells , the vagabond that he is, probably, after spending some time with Woody, realized that he was not the type of owner that he felt he could work alongside. Supposedly Woody tried. But Parcells knows a smart owner when he sees one, and figured get out.

Just look at how Steve Cohen is walking into the Mets, and he hasn't even officially taken over. I am sure Cohen thinks that he is probably the smartest man in every room he walks into. But, he realizes he doesn't know how to run a baseball team on the field. He has already designated a baseball lifer (Sandy Alderson) to be his organizational chief. He has already committed to supporting the organizational structure by investing in analytics and people to support the on field performance. 

Cohen has purchased an organization for almost $2.5B, is leaking money due to debt and poor decisions, and is investing in infrastructure. Without even having to make any on-field decisions yet. And hiring smart people to create a proper hierarchy.

Smart owners realize that they should primarily leave on field decisions to on field experts. Guess what the Johnsons are?

Smart owners know what they don't know and hire accordingly.  Moronic owners don't know what they don't know and meddle in things where they shouldn't.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So to be clear: You wrote that Marty Lyons said Hymie and Joe D are the main guys in the organization. To which you conflated that Adam Gase getting a few bottom of the roster guys as a lack of leadership. So you made up a story in your mind and then got upset about it?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If you guy say think Hymie, Hinee or whatever his name is, is telling Gase when to play players returning from injuries than your past gone regarding this team. When things turn bad everyone goes overboard. 

Exactly.

This is Adam Gase's team, period.  He is calling all the shots.  He fired everyone that was in his way, he hired people who can help him get to where he needs to take us. 

It always hurts the most the moment when you rip the Band Aid off.  A little while later, it feels much better.  

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I couldn't care less about Hymie,Woody,Chrissy,Adammy,Joey all I want is to win games, win games and nothing else matters .

 

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Future reference, the phrase is "I couldn't care less".

Fixed happy now. 

Is class dismissed. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...