Do we start to look at Darnold in a different light when we see how much worse it is without him?

24 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

The Jets are horrible either way but I think, between last year and now this year, it's abundantly clear the team is much better when Darnold is at QB.

I don't know that reincarnations of Elway, Montana, and Marino could have success with the current state of the Jets. 

It's fair to say that Darnold has done a reasonably good job with the embarrassing lack of talent around him, and to his credit has never complained that he's probably been the least supported top 5 QB pick of all-time. He just plows forward being tough and trying to be a good leader.

For the record I watch a ton of cfb and Lawrence is the best college QB I've ever seen. I still don't think it's the slam dunk decision that everyone thinks it is to dump Darnold for Lawrence and pass on the ransom a trade down would reap. Sam might just take off with a competent roster around him.

Yes

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There is no doubt they will take TL if they can.

Two question though...

II they're not at #1 - do they still move on from Sam? -I think they do.

What do they get for him in a trade?

Absolutely not. Of they take Fields or any other QB not named Lawrence, I will be calling that freaking idiot we call a GM Fries because he belongs with Mac. 

There is plenty still to be determined about Darnold, but no one can argue with the fact that when he has been on the sidelines over the last 2-1/2 years, this team has been non-competitive. He has held together the least talented offensive roster in the league as well as can be expected for an extremely young QB who has had ZERO competent guidance since he entered the league.  Darnold is at the bottom of the list of what is wrong with this team.

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Darnold hasn't been good this year, but two things you can't deny:

1) We are 0-lifetime without him with some of the worst offensvie performances I have ever seen. 

2) Think about every touchdown we have scored on offense this season. The majority of them have been Sam running around making schoolyard plays. 

The organization can't realistically pass on Lawrence, but you can't tell me that Darnold was given a legit shot here. 

Also we have averaged in the two (2) games Darnold missed  a mere FIVE POINTS, that is telling and not a coincidence.

And it doesn't look good for the "Genius" or how well the Jets have provided support to develop Sam Darnold.

45 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

Darnold is not the problem.

Darnold is not the solution.

Both these statements are true.

This is the answer. Also, Sam will be coming back at some point. Not to say it won't be difficult/near impossible but he does hold his future in his hands. If he wants to stop the Trevor Lawrence talk and have JD build around him the next few years, take the team out of the top 5-10 draft picks. Put the team on your back and win some games. The ball is in his court. 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Darnold looks no different than Flacco 

Time to move on 

Darnold is damaged goods 

IF WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DRAFT TREVOR LAWRENCE AND WE DON'T THEN THE NY JETS ARE REALLY AS DUMB AS THEY ARE A BAD FOOTBALL TEAM 

Yes im hollaring. 

Only clowns wouldn't want to draft Trevor Lawrence if given the opportunity. 

#kevincanwait GIF by CBS

I've been a Jets fan for over 40 years.  I've never been more excited about either a draft pick or a Jets QB in all of that time than I have been for Sam.  It's breaking my heart that he either may not be as good as originally thought or that he was that good and that he's been ruined beyond repair.  I'd love to see Gase fired immediately so we can possibly see if Sam can still be salvaged.

Having said that, if we get a shot at Lawrence, it makes a ton of sense to draft him and trade Sam away - not just because TL may be a better prospect, but also because we'd have a "generational player" under a rookie contract for 4-5 more years, whereas Sam is going into year 4 next year.  Even if Sam can still be the guy, the rest of the team won't be championship caliber for at least another year or two - which would be outside of Sam's rookie contract window, but still within TL's. 

If we don't end up with the #1 pick, there's a chance that keeping Sam will be the right play (depending on how he finishes this year), but if we do end up with #1, I think it's got to be Lawrence.

• Upvote 1

No.  I see Sam about the same.  A bunch of rough edges that have never been smoothed out or shaped.  But I already think his time here is about done.  If Sam isn't part of the long term future and you have no plans to re-sign him to even compete...  Douglas has to do right by him.  Just rolling him out there for the next 10 games to get hammered while you salvage the team for draft picks -- doesn't do him any good.  And it probably kills what little interest there is in his trade value.  Flacco is what he is.  But Sam deserves another shot with a franchise not owned by Humpty & Dumpy.   He looks absolutely wrecked from the last few years.  It's just very sad to see.

24 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I think Darnold will be a good QB. Just not here.

The Jets have once again ruined a potential franchise QB with their ineptitude.

Yet we’ll do awesome with Lawrence....

Trade the pick most likely giving us 3 1s this year and 3 1s next year. Load up with cheap contracts and give Sam a supporting cast. 

12 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

The Jets are horrible either way but I think, between last year and now this year, it's abundantly clear the team is much better when Darnold is at QB.

I don't know that reincarnations of Elway, Montana, and Marino could have success with the current state of the Jets. 

It's fair to say that Darnold has done a reasonably good job with the embarrassing lack of talent around him, and to his credit has never complained that he's probably been the least supported top 5 QB pick of all-time. He just plows forward being tough and trying to be a good leader.

For the record I watch a ton of cfb and Lawrence is the best college QB I've ever seen. I still don't think it's the slam dunk decision that everyone thinks it is to dump Darnold for Lawrence and pass on the ransom a trade down would reap. Sam might just take off with a competent roster around him.

Oh, he's definitely taking off somewhere else. On top of the fact that taking off on a jet plane will also tie up the pain nicely, it's also a pun of sorts that is so Jets. Taking off on a jet plane, taking off somewhere else . . . only not as a Jet . . . Jets gonna Jet.

I'm already going through permutations of agony or some form of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's 5 Stages of Grief over this one and it's not even here yet. What a waste. I hate the Jets.

So for everybody that wants to trade Darnold today, what is your plan when we don't get Lawrence? People talk like it's a lock, but with 10 games to go there is still only a small chance we land the #1 pick.

Remember, we will lose the SOS tie breaker to most of the other suckie teams. All it takes is one other team to match us, and no Lawrence.

What then? He really want to roll next year with Flacco and Morgan?

Just now, viffer said:

So for everybody that wants to trade Darnold today, what is your plan when we don't get Lawrence? People talk like it's a lock, but with 10 games to go there is still only a small chance we land the #1 pick.

Remember, we will lose the SOS tie breaker to most of the other suckie teams. All it takes is one other team to match us, and no Lawrence.

What then? He really want to roll next year with Flacco and Morgan?

You don't trade the pick until you have the #1 selection AND Lawrence declares for the draft.