Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

Rhg1084

There are 100 roads to a SB. 95 start with a good QB. Without that nothing else matters anyway. JD will take the QB.
I don't believe that to be true. Having a decent qb is important but they don't have to be an elite qb. Look at recent history for example we have super bowl champion Nick foles, Eli manning, joe flacco...who played in that Superbowl against Colin kaepernick. The qb is the most criticized player on each team but no qb makes it to a superbowl without a team built around them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

What is more likely to turn this team around? Trevor Lawrence… or the 3 1st round picks plus we can get for him?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Lawrence, the 33rd pick and the 65th pick.

The Jets should walk away from the 2021 draft with the QB of the future and at least 2 good players.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Incorrect. Peyton signed at $46M contract in 1998. Joe Burrow signed a $36M contract last year, and this doesn't even factor in inflation.

High-drafted rookies are paid much less (in real and adjusted) dollars than 20 years ago due to rookie wage scale. 

Not incorrect. The second contracts now are way bigger so he would be delaying that by a year putting himself at risk, and players in college now realize how much they are getting ripped off playing for free. 

What do we do? Do we just give up on Darnold and draft another QB who is likely no more talented than Sam just for the sake of resetting the QB contract clock?

I'm ok with Lawrence if he is going to be the next Peyton Manning. I am not ok doing it if it means staying on this hamster wheel drafting a QB this time giving up on one that actually has talent. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Not incorrect. The second contracts now are way bigger so he would be delaying that by a year putting himself at risk, and players in college now realize how much they are getting ripped off playing for free. 

How’s Darnold’s second contract looking right about now playing for this terrible franchise? Coming out early to play for Jets is the definition of “penny wise, pound foolish.”

49 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't believe that to be true. Having a decent qb is important but they don't have to be an elite qb. Look at recent history for example we have super bowl champion Nick foles, Eli manning, joe flacco...who played in that Superbowl against Colin kaepernick. The qb is the most criticized player on each team but no qb makes it to a superbowl without a team built around them.

I did say “good” and not “elite...”

1 minute ago, jgb said:

How’s Darnold’s second contract looking right about now playing for this terrible franchise? Coming out early to play for Jets is the definition of “penny wise, pound foolish.”

Yeah maybe he should go back to school risk injury just to get taken by the Jets, DC or Jags in 2022 instead! QB factories ?

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Yeah maybe he should go back to school risk injury just to get taken by the Jets, DC or Jags in 2022 instead! QB factories ?

There’s more than one way to dodge the Jets than go back to school. Lawrence has many options. I am certain all will be weighed and analyzed by his team if/when we secure top pick. What he does next, we shall see. For record, I still believe he’s likely to come out. Just that odds of him not are significantly higher than the “0% no chance!” homers believe.

And PS you underestimate just how terrible the Jets reputation is among agents and professional football people. It’s league worst by a mile.

Here’s something for the conspiracy theorists who think Trevor could return to Clemson next year and snub the Jets.   In Saturday’s rout against Georgia Tech this past Saturday Dabo didn’t play DJ Uiagalelei, the heir apparent to Trevor next year.  Now you may say, no bid deal they wanted to give the other guys some reps.  BUT, when you realize that Saturday was Clemson’s 5th game of the season and if DJ played in it he would not be able to redshirt, you can play in 4 games and still declare a redshirt year.   We’ll see next week against Syracuse if DJ plays as Clemson should have that game under control in the 2nd quarter.   Something to follow for the Trevor could snub the Jets crowd.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

There’s more than one way to dodge the Jets than go back to school. Lawrence has many options. I am certain all will be weighed and analyzed by his team if/when we secure top pick. What he does next, we shall see. For record, I still believe he’s likely to come out. Just that odds of him not are significantly higher than the “0% no chance!” homers believe.

I think it’s close to 100% he comes out but I agree you never know what can happen. Still slim odds he’d pull an Eli or Elway but that’s the more realistic scenario then going back I think. But we’ll find out

11 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

I think it’s close to 100% he comes out but I agree you never know what can happen. Still slim odds he’d pull an Eli or Elway but that’s the more realistic scenario then going back I think. But we’ll find out

It is unlikely he doesn’t go to the team who secures the top pick, i completely agree. But if we get top pick i admit I’ll be nervous until the contract is signed!!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Great idea! Let’s just draft a HOF QB. How hard could that be? Hint, the fact that none of the guys on your list were the #1 overall pick is a clue.

If youre looking for QB other than Lawrence then who would it be?

1st round picks Namath, Aikman, Elway, The Mannings, Plunkett, Bradshaw all won Super Bowls. Bledsoe, Newton, Goff took their teams to the Super Bowl.

52 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I've always agreed with that premise: I prefer an elite QB (duh) but you need a good-enough QB to be a SB team/winner, and not necessarily an elite QB; your examples are good ones but there's a flaw in it you're overlooking.

The Jets can't pass up on Lawrence (assuming he's available to us) because of a fingers-crossed belief that Darnold is such a QB based on a combination of pre-draft hype plus a lack of demonstrated failure with an excellent surrounding cast. Even further, it'd have to be after 10 more games of Darnold futility and/or injury to end up with that #1 pick in in the first place.

Giving Darnold the benefit of the doubt merely means he might not be the letdown he's been. The huge problem is he'll be entering the final year of his base rookie contract. After that the Jets can use the 5th year option on him, but that's going to be nearly $30MM. That's just too much commitment to pass up on Lawrence. You get a QB like that if/when he's available, not when you feel like shopping for him. 

Plus while you only need a good-enough QB, all other things being equal, I'm not sure that's actually good enough if his cap hit is north of $30MM.

• Flacco wasn't suddenly a worse QB after his SB win, yet Baltimore never returned after his $ climbed $14MM from $6MM to $20MM (then elite QB money). You can't sell me the idea that the 2012 Ravens are still SB winners if you remove Anquan Boldin ($8MM) and Marshall Yanda ($6MM) from their roster. They failed to even make the playoffs 4 of the next 5 seasons after that Flacco contract, which proves the opposite of what you're trying to prove. They're 19-3 since getting his bloated salary off their books. Yes there are more reasons than that, but it sure helped not having a just-ok QB eat 1/6 of their salary cap.
  • Russell Wilson is and has been in the prime of his HOF career, but the fact is he hasn't returned to the SB since Seattle made the most of his $750K/year rookie cap hit that bought the team a couple overpriced non-QB mulligans instead of having to hit on all of them. Would the current 2020 Seahawks defense be just as bad if they had another $28MM to spend on it? I seriously doubt it.

Nope. Draft Lawrence, trade Darnold for as much as possible, and do a better job surrounding the young QB position with better talent. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think it would be one of the funniest things in the history of this league if the Jets got #1 and Lawrence was like, nah, I'm good.  I'll stay another year.  I mean, it would be so Jetsy and amazing, I really dont know if I could contain myself. 

Thinking that would be funny and amazing is the Jetsiest thing that could happen.  

7 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

1st round picks Namath, Aikman, Elway, The Mannings, Plunkett, Bradshaw all won Super Bowls. Bledsoe, Newton, Goff took their teams to the Super Bowl.

And the list of first round QB who were not even good QBs is even longer

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Plus while you only need a good-enough QB, all other things being equal, I'm not sure that's actually good enough if his cap hit is north of $30MM.

• Flacco wasn't suddenly a worse QB after his SB win, yet Baltimore never returned after his $ climbed $14MM from $6MM to $20MM (then elite QB money). You can't sell me the idea that the 2012 Ravens are still SB winners if you remove Anquan Boldin ($8MM) and Marshall Yanda ($6MM) from their roster. They failed to even make the playoffs 4 of the next 5 seasons after that Flacco contract, which proves the opposite of what you're trying to prove. They're 19-3 since getting his bloated salary off their books.

FTW!!

Fall Dancing GIF

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

fields or lance, i'd think

the idea beuing that we'd get a haul of picks for the #1...     i think