Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

Rhg1084

42 minutes ago, jgb said:

And PS you underestimate just how terrible the Jets reputation is among agents and professional football people. It’s league worst by a mile.

I mean, is it? You think he’ll sit there and say nah, I won’t play for the Jets... but the Jacksonville Jaguars? Sign me up!

Every team that will have a chance to get him is had and has been poor at developing QBs outside of maybe the Falcons, although I expect him to win way too many games.

• Post of the Week 1

I think the whole contract thing gets overblown.

First - Darnold hasn't done enough to expect a huge pay day; he certainly won't get a blockbuster deal with another team as things stand.

Second - who else do we have that we need to pay? It's not like signing a QB on a non-rookie contract is going to hamstring us and mean we have to let other guys walk. That would be one of those "nice problems to have" IMHO.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, is it? You think he’ll sit there and say nah, I won’t play for the Jets... but the Jacksonville Jaguars? Sign me up!

Every team that will have a chance to get him is had and has been poor at developing QBs outside of maybe the Falcons, although I expect him to win way too many games.

I think he could bet the field over the Jets yes I do. Also, got a feeling NYC ain’t a draw for him or his new fiancée who sure doesn’t want him unfettered in sin city. Could see him hoping a southern or small market team gets top pick following year.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

It’s a Draft Day reference, I think.

Unfortunately, that’s a movie and this is an actual live train wreck into a garbage dump built over an Indian burial group on a nuclear weapon test site.

But they made the seats wider to accommodate our morbidly obese tertiary diabetic population because of their no discrimination policy.

I shi t you not, part of the sales pitch for The New Dump was wider seats for fatter asses and fatter cupholders for fatter sausage fingers for Super Size soda. Yeah, well, I don't think I could gain four hundred pounds if I tried, but thanks, it's really not a selling point.

• Upvote 1

First, there is no guarantee that Lawrence will become an elite QB in the NFL. There have been plenty of highly rated QBs that did not make it in the NFL, namely Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell, and Sam Darnold.  I'm sure I could think of others.

Second, there is no QB is the history of the NFL that could succeed behind this OL. At least 3 new offensive linemen are needed, and I don't want to draft a QB before they draft a viable center that can stop the pass rush up the middle. In addition, which of these WRs does anyone think is any good? Crowder is the only one that bears any resemblance to a productive NFL wide receiver. Put Lawrence in this train wreck and you run the risk of turning him into David Carr.

I am not in favor of trading the first pick for less than appropriate value, but if some team offers 2 or 3 first round picks plus 2 or 3 three seconds they should take it and start the long process of rebuilding.. There's always another QB prospect down the road.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think he could bet the field over the Jets yes I do. Also, got a feeling NYC ain’t a draw for him or his new fiancée who sure doesn’t want him unfettered in sin city. Could see him hoping a southern or small market team gets top pick following year.

Yes okay he won't play football for a year because that's what football players do. Bo Jackson (a) was Bo Jackson and (b) had baseball for leverage, and Tampa still tried to pick off the bluff. Like the Chargers did with Manning. And we're talking about things that happened 20, 40 years ago. The only clear road to the Jets not getting Lawrence is somebody else winding up with the first pick.

6 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Yes okay he won't play football for a year because that's what football players do. Bo Jackson (a) was Bo Jackson and (b) had baseball for leverage, and Tampa still tried to pick off the bluff. Like the Chargers did with Manning. And we're talking about things that happened 20, 40 years ago. The only clear road to the Jets not getting Lawrence is somebody else winding up with the first pick.

Those who think it’s a 0% chance are in denial. Still likely he goes where drafted, but people here are such absolutists.

Trevor has the talent to "bet on himself" remain in school and be the #1, #1 next year.  In addition, the talent level at Clemson is not going to drop off, so he'll have the surrounding cast to further solidify the "bet on himself" and he'd probably win that bet, if it truly was just a "bet on himself" proposition.

However, the bet he can't guarntee is that this won't happen to him before he gets paid:

we keep hearing about how the plan is to get TL at pick one and build our franchise around him. Why in the world would TL want to trust Joe is the right  man to this ? He literally just lied to our "high first round franchise qb" in Sam that he was going to protect him and give him weapons to succeed. He lied to Sam and lied to his parents. If I am TL I am thinking why would I trust this guy after he just set  up his current QB to fail who was also a first round pick that was going to be the franchise QB?  If I am TL the only way I go to the Jets is if there is  a proven GM and Coach brought in AT THE SAME TIME to start fresh. I would also consider hiring Dabo as coach so TL knows and trusts his coach.

Gase has proven he is not the answer as has Joe

Is Joe going to surround TL with such GREAT WEAPONS as Perriman, Gore ,Ballage ,Perine and Griffin ? The first 4 names were all Joe Douglass additions to help Sam and Griffin he paid a nice contract to and is as useful as a pair of gloves to a guy with no hands.

Joe MUST GO Gase MUST GO-ownership (must go but wont)

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

we keep hearing about how the plan is to get TL at pick one and build our franchise around him. Why in the world would TL want to trust Joe is the right  man to this ? He literally just lied to our "high first round franchise qb" in Sam that he was going to protect him and give him weapons to succeed. He lied to Sam and lied to his parents. If I am TL I am thinking why would I trust this guy after he just set  up his current QB to fail who was also a first round pick that was going to be the franchise QB?  If I am TL the only way I go to the Jets is if there is  a proven GM and Coach brought in AT THE SAME TIME to start fresh. I would also consider hiring Dabo as coach so TL knows and trusts his coach.

Is Joe going to surround TL with such GREAT WEAPONS as Perriman, Gore ,Ballage ,Perine and Griffin ? The first 4 names were all Joe Douglass additions to help Sam and Griffin he paid a nice contract to and is as useful as a pair of gloves to a guy with no hands.

you need to relax. Too early to judge Joe D. 

He is acquiring picks. He is saddled with the 1 of, if not the worst HC the league has seen. Joe D is trying to be able to pick his HC and be done with Gase. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

What do we do? Do we just give up on Darnold and draft another QB who is likely no more talented than Sam just for the sake of resetting the QB contract clock?

I'm ok with Lawrence if he is going to be the next Peyton Manning. I am not ok doing it if it means staying on this hamster wheel drafting a QB this time giving up on one that actually has talent. 

I hear you

And while I think Lawrence is MORE talented than Darnold was when Sam came out, yet I still think that Darnold can be a star in the NFL, I really do hence I understand your post.

However the key is for those who want to "Tank" are missing the point I said that we have to trade Darnold now and reboot next year, if that is their thinking because Darnold is way better than most think out here and will win us 3 to 4 games this year, so the tanking talk just hurts Darnold in the minds of the fans...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

TL does not have very much leverage.

38 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If we have the 1st overall, with another #1, high #2, high #3, two 1sts in 2022, and we don't draft Trevor Lawrence and get a pick for Sam Darnold after 52 years I will seriously be 100% done with this organization. FACT! 

We will NOT have the Number one Pick because Darnold will win us some games!

The only reason we should be moving on from Darnold is if we are getting Trevor Lawrence. Without that, you get the right coach and players and build a system around Sam....ya know, like good teams do with their star players.

if “TLaw” as they call him wasn’t coming out in this draft, this wouldn’t and shouldn’t even be a discussion. But the hype (of us actually going 0-16) is real and very possible. Thus, we are faced with this scenario and thank God or what else would we hav to talk about this season?

I for one am rooting for 0-16 with Sam SOMEHOW improving and looking good to either:

- Increase his trade value

- If our new coach loves Sam and trades our high pick (whether its 1 2 or 3) for a haul to build around him.

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

He used his first round pick on a franchise left tackle. We all knew he was going to fix the line first. Too many holes to fix it all. He used his next highest pick on a WR. Too bad they have barely played this year, but you can't act like he hasn't signed a ton of OL help and added a potential star receiver.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That presumes Darnold will not be a good QB. I don’t think anyone knows whether he will be.

i don't think so. what it presumes is lawrence will be better than darnold and better able to fit in with the future plans.  they will need to exercise darnolds fifth year option next season with the attendant pay raise.  why would they do that when by drafting lawrence they son't need to think about it for at least 3 seasons.  tis doesn't mean darnold can't be a good qb.  he probably can but just not on the currently rebuilding jets.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

He used his first round pick on a franchise left tackle. We all knew he was going to fix the line first. Too many holes to fix it all. He used his next highest pick on a WR. Too bad they have barely played this year, but you can't act like he hasn't signed a ton of OL help and added a potential star receiver.

so basically what I said is true -one pick is contributing and I would argue any person on this board could find a decent player in round one? 

lol potential star-he could also be a potential devin smith johnny lam jones stephen hill

even if you give him the benefit of the doubt on our hurt "potential star" wr the rest of his draft picks suck and during the same time we lost quality players and he spend money on terrible ones that were here (griffin) or ones he brought in Perriman

• Sympathy 1