Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

12 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

He used his first round pick on a franchise left tackle. We all knew he was going to fix the line first. Too many holes to fix it all. He used his next highest pick on a WR. Too bad they have barely played this year, but you can't act like he hasn't signed a ton of OL help and added a potential star receiver.

That's a good nickname for Mims, "Potential".

Wonder when "Potential" is going to see the field?

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

....   Did any of his friends go to the guys birthday party ?...   We might trade down for a ransom and turn this team around in one day.   Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app    

It’s a Draft Day reference, I think. Unfortunately, that’s a movie and this is an actual live train wreck into a garbage dump built over an Indian burial group on a nuclear weapon test site.

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, kmnj said:

we keep hearing about how the plan is to get TL at pick one and build our franchise around him. Why in the world would TL want to trust Joe is the right  man to this ? He literally just lied to our "high first round franchise qb" in Sam that he was going to protect him and give him weapons to succeed. He lied to Sam and lied to his parents. If I am TL I am thinking why would I trust this guy after he just set  up his current QB to fail who was also a first round pick that was going to be the franchise QB?  If I am TL the only way I go to the Jets is if there is  a proven GM and Coach brought in AT THE SAME TIME to start fresh. I would also consider hiring Dabo as coach so TL knows and trusts his coach.

Gase has proven he is not the answer as has Joe

Is Joe going to surround TL with such GREAT WEAPONS as Perriman, Gore ,Ballage ,Perine and Griffin ? The first 4 names were all Joe Douglass additions to help Sam and Griffin he paid a nice contract to and is as useful as a pair of gloves to a guy with no hands.

Joe MUST GO Gase MUST GO-ownership (must go but wont)

If memory serves, JD signed 3 free agent OL, and drafted a stud LT in the first round... to protect Sam Darnold. 

He then, signed 2 former 1st round WRs, and drafted a stud WR in the second round... to provide Sam with weapons. 

or did you FORGET about Josh Doctson?!

Why did you purposely omit our best players on your little list there? 

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The more I think about it the more I think all these Lawrence fanboys are living in an alternate reality. What makes you think drafting another FQB prospect will change anything on this team. I don't even know why I am bothering rooting for this team..what they did to Darnold should be against the law. 

It turned out ok for the Colts 

47 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't think so. what it presumes is lawrence will be better than darnold and better able to fit in with the future plans.  they will need to exercise darnolds fifth year option next season with the attendant pay raise.  why would they do that when by drafting lawrence they son't need to think about it for at least 3 seasons.  tis doesn't mean darnold can't be a good qb.  he probably can but just not on the currently rebuilding jets.

I've got to admit, I am torn. At this point, it seems pretty apparent that Lawrence is a better prospect than Sam was and is likely an upgrade, but in reality we will not know until we draft him. But I feel like with the flashes that we've seen from Sam despite the fact that he has been with the other-worldly bad Adam Gase for a year and half, makes me feel like Sam will be a pretty darn good QB if he gets coaching and more talent. That leaves me with a not so simple math equation. Which is greater, Sam + new coach + draft capital of the top pick OR Trevor + new coach + draft capital of Sam. I'm leaning toward the former because regardless of how certain anyone can say they are about Lawrence, you never really know.

Plus all of this presumes we will have the #1 pick and Trevor will not change his mind and stay another year at Clemson.  I have some doubts that both will occur. The Jags beat the Colts. The Raiders beat the Chiefs in KC. Upsets always happen. I can totally see the Jets winning 2 or 3 games. If they get healthy, have Darnold under center with his 3 starting wideouts and Herndon gets his head right, the Jets can beat the Fins and Pats at Met Life, and I can see them upsetting 1 team that takes them too lightly. My money would be on the Bills this week coming off a short week and big game and having to play away. Plus, no player likes being a laughing stock, and this weekend may be the last chance for the players to change the narrative.

People should not be so quick to jump on the dump Sam and draft Trevor wagon, because it may not happen, and then what . . . ?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I've got to admit, I am torn. At this point, it seems pretty apparent that Lawrence is a better prospect than Sam was and is likely an upgrade, but in reality we will not know until we draft him. But I feel like with the flashes that we've seen from Sam despite the fact that he has been with the other-worldly bad Adam Gase for a year and half, makes me feel like Sam will be a pretty darn good QB if he gets coaching and more talent. That leaves me with a not so simple math equation. Which is greater, Sam + new coach + draft capital of the top pick OR Trevor + new coach + draft capital of Sam. I'm leaning toward the former because regardless of how certain anyone can say they are about Lawrence, you never really know.

Plus all of this presumes we will have the #1 pick and Trevor will not change his mind and stay another year at Clemson.  I have some doubts that both will occur. The Jags beat the Colts. The Raiders beat the Chiefs in KC. Upsets always happen. I can totally see the Jets winning 2 or 3 games. If they get healthy, have Darnold under center with his 3 starting wideouts and Herndon gets his head right, the Jets can beat the Fins and Pats at Met Life, and I can see them upsetting 1 team that takes them too lightly. My money would be on the Bills this week coming off a short week and big game and having to play away. Plus, no player likes being a laughing stock, and this weekend may be the last chance for the players to change the narrative.

People should not be so quick to jump on the dump Sam and draft Trevor wagon, because it may not happen, and then what . . . ?

i'm not so quick because first lawrence has to declare for the draft and then the jets have to draft him assuming they get the no. 1 pick.  and if they do pick we have to see if he'll join the jets and not pull an elllway.  i certainly don't advocate trading darnold until lawrence is in the bag.  and if lawrence is that good, he will be trade capital even if the jets don't trade out of the pick.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm not so quick because first lawrence has to declare for the draft and then the jets have to draft him assuming they get the no. 1 pick.  and if they do pick we have to see if he'll join the jets and not pull an elllway.  i certainly don't advocate trading darnold until lawrence is in the bag.  and if lawrence is that good, he will be trade capital even if the jets don't trade out of the pick.

This is a cogent, logical and well thought out response. Are you sure you are a Jet fan?

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

50+ years and counting.  sometimes i find the acorn.

I'm right there with you. Raised in the shadow of Shea Stadium (at least until 3rd grade). Every off-season, I convince myself we are finally turning the corner. I can't believe I've gone from the ecstasy of the Jets drafting Darnold to these depths in such a short time. They never fail to disappoint me. I'm certain if they draft Lawrence, Darnold will go on to become the next Joe Montana and Lawrence will be out of football before his rookie contract is over. Why? Because that is how it works for the Jets, that's why.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I wrote a whole dissertation about how that is a fallacy. Please don't make me do it again. 

The Colts were starting a 41 year old Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter

Chris Hackenberg might be as good as Painter

19 hours ago, JTJet said:

Go ahead get your jollies off. I lived and worked through it a block away from Lucas Oil stadium the entire time. 

It was real. 

I live in Indianapolis.  My co workers who are colts fans and had season tix knew it was a total tank job for Luck

12 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I live in Indianapolis.  My co workers who are colts fans and had season tix knew it was a total tank job for Luck

Phil you would have to be oblivious at this point to see this is a Tank job AM I right?  The Colts were beyond Obvious in trying to get Luck

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The Colts were starting a 41 year old Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter

Chris Hackenberg might be as good as Painter

Please list me the available quarterbacks when Manning was officially done for the 2011 season. Please also direct me to the GM's and coaches that go 2-14 and keep their jobs. 

Please let me know who was the GM and coach of the Colts in 2012. 

Int. Jim Irsay's office - DAY

Irsay: Hey, Bill. I want you to lose on purpose this year so I can get Andrew Luck instead of waiting for Peyton to recover next year. 

Pollian: Lose on purpose, Jim? How?

Irsay: Well, sign Kerry Collins instead of Johnny Unitastarkentonmontana

Pollian: Got it. See you next season! We're gonna kick ass with this new guy, huh?

Irsay: Yes, yes we will. You'll be right here next year, right next to me.

Pollian: Thanks, Chief!

Irsay: Oh, and one more thing, Bill. We have to make it look good by winning a couple at the end of the season. But please, not too many or we'll blow this plan to smithereens.

Pollian: You got it, Chief! No smithereens.  I'll sign Collins insted of that Johnny guy and hope he gets injured so I can ignore that Johnny guy again and roll with the only QB we have that knows our system. That'll look like we're trying! Should I send Caldwell in? He's waiting in the outer office mumbling to himself...

13 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Tbf, this may just be the most garbage team of all garbage teams in NFL history.

But I still doubt he stays in school. If he really believes in himself than he has so much to gain from winning in New York.

Agreed. He strikes me as a kid who likes a challenge. The money is too good to pass up also. Anyone that thinks he stays in school instead of coming here is delusional.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ToonforPrez said:

Phil you would have to be oblivious at this point to see this is a Tank job AM I right?  The Colts were beyond Obvious in trying to get Luck

Yeah so obvious that the GM and coach who orchestrated the whole thing lost their jobs. They took one for ol' Jim, huh?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Colts fans during the Manning years were an insufferable lot, weren't they? Lol. 

27 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah so obvious that the GM and coach who orchestrated the whole thing lost their jobs. They took one for ol' Jim, huh?

Weren't the Colts HC & GM on the way out considering they were going to get the fisr pick and were a dumpster fire the previous 2 years?

when has tanking every truly worked out.

What team tanked for a QB wound up mopping up the division a couple years later? 

Zero, i'd wager. You have to gut your roster so completely.. and i mean, what it takes to be that bad to begin with - is... well it speak volumes about ownership/management. 

This will not go well. 

• Upvote 2
37 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

Weren't the Colts HC & GM on the way out considering they were going to get the fisr pick and were a dumpster fire the previous 2 years?

They went to the Superbowl in 2009, they were 24 - 8 in 2009 and 2010 combined. 2011 was the bad year, you know, the Great Tank Jobbery. DW Griffiths made a movie about it. Michael Moore remade it later as Coltenheit 911 The Story of 9/2011. It's the one where the GM tanks a season so he can be fired after that same season after the Saudis took all the good QB's available on August 24th and then the one that they did sign, a QB that once started a Super Bowl,  got himself injured after three games to do Jim Irsay a solid.

22 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I wrote a whole dissertation about how that is a fallacy. Please don't make me do it again. 

Can you point me in the right direction so i can read it? I'm genuinely intrigued on everyone's thought's in regards to tanking as opposed to not tanking. It would be appreciated very much.

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

when has tanking every truly worked out.

What team tanked for a QB wound up mopping up the division a couple years later? 

Zero, i'd wager. You have to gut your roster so completely.. and i mean, what it takes to be that bad to begin with - is... well it speak volumes about ownership/management. 

This will not go well. 

Several examples have been listed on this board the last few days.  I'm not sure if you missed them.  The '97 Colts, 2011 Colts, and 2018 Cardinals are 3 examples.  Whatever people want to say about Andrew Luck, he led that sh*tty franchise to 3 straight 11-win seasons to start his career, including a 40-TD season and 3 Pro Bowl appearances.  

What was the alternative for this team, exactly?  "Going for it" only to pick 7th?  We KNOW that strategy doesn't work.  Not once has it worked.  I'll take 3 (or so) cases where tanking works over the zero times the Jets traditional approach (half-assed attempts to compete) has worked.