Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

Rhg1084

If this team was showing any degree of competence, maybe winning one single game, maybe staying close and competing with an opponent rather than folding like a tent by the end of the 1st Quarter then perhaps Trevor would say, "I can go there and help these guys take another step."  But this organization is now as toxic as it has ever been.

The fact that the Jets not only look like a high school team on the field and have had a culture problem with their players and now between the HC and the DC only pales in comparison to seeing the GM on TV trading a player during the middle of the game.

The Jets are banking on this college kid to come save an organization that is rotting from ownership down thru the GM and coach all the way to the locker room and the training/medical staff.  If the best player in college football has any levers to pull to avoid this place why wouldn't he?

Just wait until Woody comes back and gets involved this Spring.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, genot said:

Sam Darnold isn't the problem. If Douglas thinks he is and trades chim it will be another mistake that prevents this franchise from taking a big step foward

If there was not a chance to replace Darnold with a potentially better QB with four years of rookie contract left, I would try and make it work with Darnold for the next 2-3 years. 

But Darnold could be damaged, so if we keep him on the bench and healthy, draft a replacement and try to get at least a 2nd round pick for his potential, that seems better to me.  

What happened with Darnold is bad for him and the team, but that damage has been done. 

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

My concern is that Lawrence has never played for a team that wasn’t stacked with talent. And, he looked less than pedestrian in last year’s National Championship Game. 

How will he react to adversity? Because we know adversity is coming for him if he gets drafted by the jets. 

That's a big concern.  Lawrence wouldn't be coming to a bad team, he'd be coming to historically bad team.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Several examples have been listed on this board the last few days.  I'm not sure if you missed them.  The '97 Colts, 2011 Colts, and 2018 Cardinals are 3 examples.  Whatever people want to say about Andrew Luck, he led that sh*tty franchise to 3 straight 11-win seasons to start his career, including a 40-TD season and 3 Pro Bowl appearances.  

What was the alternative for this team, exactly?  "Going for it" only to pick 7th?  We KNOW that strategy doesn't work.  Not once has it worked.  I'll take 3 (or so) cases where tanking works over the zero times the Jets traditional approach (half-assed attempts to compete) has worked.

the 2nd two examples are terrible examples. Not tanking in the slightest. Manning was hurt and out - and we didn't know if he was going to play again.. it was a period of uncertainty that demonstrated how rooted the team was in his presence. The cardinals drafted Josh recently, traded for Peterson, and fired their OC in October.

Those are not tank jobs. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

the 2nd two examples are terrible examples. Not tanking in the slightest. Manning was hurt and out - and we didn't know if he was going to play again.. it was a period of uncertainty that demonstrated how rooted the team was in his presence. The cardinals drafted Josh recently, traded for Peterson, and fired their OC in October.

Those are not tank jobs. 

They could have went out and tried to replace Peyton in 2011, trading future assets to do so.  They knew he had neck issues entering that season.

Instead they rolled with Curtis Painter.  It didn't start as a tank but it certainly finished as one.  They were 100 % all in on Luck by Week 5.

Don't be like Warfish.  He not only says that tanking doesn't work, he says it doesn't exist either.  Whether tanking starts out as intentional or not, it 100 % happens and it did in the case of the 2011 Colts, for sure.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If Trevor were your son would you be steering him away from challenges?

It worked out pretty well for Eli.  15 years later and no one really cares (except maybe Chargers fans, though one can argue Rivers was the better QB) that his dad pulled that.  They just remember the 2 rings he won.  It also worked out well for Peyton when he dodged the Jets in '97.

I'm not saying Lawrence will do that.  Just that there is a pretty good precedent.

27 minutes ago, derp said:

The Jets are bad.

Orr’s statement that, if he’s being generous, the Jets will need 17 new starters next year is hyperbolic. I assume there is a reason he chose not to back that up or discuss future draft capital or cap space.

ok, let's see....2 corners, 1 safety, 4 linebackers, 4 WRs, 2 RBs 2 OL and 2 TEs.

Did I miss anything?

5 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

If memory serves, JD signed 3 free agent OL, and drafted a stud LT in the first round... to protect Sam Darnold. 

He then, signed 2 former 1st round WRs, and drafted a stud WR in the second round... to provide Sam with weapons. 

or did you FORGET about Josh Doctson?!

Why did you purposely omit our best players on your little list there? 

I believe that JD did his best to put a team on the field in 2020 that would look competitive and help get a read of what Sam could end up being.  

Loss of Covid practicing did not help.  

Doctson and Mosley opting out did not help.

JD took the Adams bait.

Injuries ravaged the team.

The coaching appears to have come up short. 

Voila!  We now have a team that is uncompetitive, will more likely get Sam crippled than show his ability, and the Jets are now better off tanking for TL.

Pretty simple to me.  I don't think the Jets were that far from being a crappy 4-12 team that does not get to draft a QB next year.  But the 2020 Jets are now, though 6 games, one of the worst teams in NFL history. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Please list me the available quarterbacks when Manning was officially done for the 2011 season. Please also direct me to the GM's and coaches that go 2-14 and keep their jobs. 

Please let me know who was the GM and coach of the Colts in 2012. 

Int. Jim Irsay's office - DAY

Irsay: Hey, Bill. I want you to lose on purpose this year so I can get Andrew Luck instead of waiting for Peyton to recover next year. 

Pollian: Lose on purpose, Jim? How?

Irsay: Well, sign Kerry Collins instead of Johnny Unitastarkentonmontana

Pollian: Got it. See you next season! We're gonna kick ass with this new guy, huh?

Irsay: Yes, yes we will. You'll be right here next year, right next to me.

Pollian: Thanks, Chief!

Irsay: Oh, and one more thing, Bill. We have to make it look good by winning a couple at the end of the season. But please, not too many or we'll blow this plan to smithereens.

Pollian: You got it, Chief! No smithereens.  I'll sign Collins insted of that Johnny guy and hope he gets injured so I can ignore that Johnny guy again and roll with the only QB we have that knows our system. That'll look like we're trying! Should I send Caldwell in? He's waiting in the outer office mumbling to himself...

This guy was on Gotham one time and now he's shilling screenplays on the board! 

@Maxman do we have any policies on how to deal with posters in the SAG??

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They could have went out and tried to replace Peyton in 2011, trading future assets to do so.  They knew he had neck issues entering that season.

Instead they rolled with Curtis Painter.  It didn't start as a tank but it certainly finished as one.  They were 100 % all in on Luck by Week 5.

Don't be like Warfish.  He not only says that tanking doesn't work, he says it doesn't exist either.  Whether tanking starts out as intentional or not, it 100 % happens and it did in the case of the 2011 Colts, for sure.

I would almost change my narrative to distance myself from Warfish lol but that's just not an accurate depiction of the 2011 colts... It's just not. They didn't decide to move on from Manning until much further into the process. And they didn't blow up the roster - Luck was able to step in a quickly get the train moving again. 

Sorry, not a tank job. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Don't underestimate the affect of this. Trevor will hear about it and read these articles especially from sports illustrated. Conor Orr knows exactly what he is doing. His goal is for one reader to read this.

this guy has 24k followers on twitter.   is he really an influencer.

Trevor will make his decision based on his own info and feelings not some random SI reporter.

i cancelled my renewal for SI today.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kmnj said:

so basically what I said is true -one pick is contributing and I would argue any person on this board could find a decent player in round one

lol potential star-he could also be a potential devin smith johnny lam jones stephen hill

even if you give him the benefit of the doubt on our hurt "potential star" wr the rest of his draft picks suck and during the same time we lost quality players and he spend money on terrible ones that were here (griffin) or ones he brought in Perriman

Have you so quickly forgotten about Mac...

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly. I guarantee JD went into this season with a best case/worst case scenario.

Best case: Team team builds on it finish from last year. Darnold, Quinnen, Vyncent Smith, Perriman, Bell, Herndon, Bless, Desir and his O-Line FA class develop and improve, outplaying their historic NFL performance (or get back to what they were in the case of Bell). The team outperforms expectations but we have a solid base to spend big in FA in 2021. 

Worst case: None of the above players play better than what they have shown thus far in the NFL. Tear it all down and start from scratch. Accumulate as many draft picks as possible because there are going to be a ton of new players in 2021. 

There may have been a couple layers in-between the two cases but the way JD spent money last offseason proves he felt that the worst case scenario was much more likely than the best case. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

And if he pull an Eli who says it works?

No one has sat out as the top pick, if Rivers wasn't available to trade and SD said FU then what?

And Eli wanted to play in NY, the opposite story for these morons to spin 180*

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It worked out pretty well for Eli.  15 years later and no one really cares (except maybe Chargers fans, though one can argue Rivers was the better QB) that his dad pulled that.  They just remember the 2 rings he won.  It also worked out well for Peyton when he dodged the Jets in '97.

I'm not saying Lawrence will do that.  Just that there is a pretty good precedent.

This is a great point, but not necessarily for the right reason. If worked out for Eli because he landed in the #1 sports market onto a team that built around him.

As a result, I read that he has become the NFLs highest paid player in history—due to salary and endorsements. 
Odell rounded out the top-10, and likely landed his deal because of his stay in New  York. 

Ask any NON fan who the worst team is in the NFL, and even they know it’s the Jets. 
If Trevor could right this plane and be the long flowey-locked face of this franchise he would easily land endorsements up the kazoo (name any hair product or shampoo, add some shoes, and multiply that by 10 insurance agencies). He could more than double his take home in this market. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Those are not tank jobs. 

I think the question "does tanking work?" is largely irrelevant and tends to miss the point. 

The important question isn't whether tanking works or not, it's whether ending up with the first pick works or not. In other words, who cares what a given team's motivation/plan was for a particular season - all that matters is whether they were better off getting the top pick vs. winning a few meaningless games. 

I think the argument is simply that we are better off getting the top pick this year, regardless of what Douglas was planning in August. 

• Upvote 1