Rhg1084

Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

I wouldn’t mind if that was true, but don’t see why Gase would tank unless he id assured he will be back next year.  🤢 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Question:  Has tanking/attempting to tank ever truly worked for an NFL team? 

I know then bucs reportedly tanked a game to secure the #1 spot in order to draft Jameis.  After some promise he turned into a turnover machine and is gone. 

The colts reportedly did it once Manning was done in order to get Luck.  They had success with Luck but injuries piled up and he retired way before his time.

The goal of a tank is to acquire that most desirable rookie and as a result build a long term winning team and ultimately a super bowl.  Have these teams, or any other teams that tried to tank, actually  achieved these goals? 

The other option is go out and win a few games that are enough to guarantee that you aint got a shot at Lawrence. 

Then, you build around Darnold and do OK. Maybe even make the playoffs only to get taken out by an Elite QB like a Mahomes. Burrow could be in that class. 

Brady made the Pats

P Manning  made the Colts

Mahomes the Chiefs

Montana the 49ers

You get the drill.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

This is stupid.  No they’re not. Doesn’t work that way. Players aren’t going to suck on purpose for team they won’t be on. 
cisches aren’t going to suck for a team that’s going to fire them. 
No GM can count on avre losing every game.  
Bell stinks! That’s why he was cut.  

• Like 1

How does this work, exactly? I have to assume at a minimum, Gase would be in on this. If so, I imagine he got some assurance that he'd be coaching next year, or some sort of financial reward guaranteed.

If Gase is in on it, are other coaches? How deep does it go?

Seems far out man.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is stupid.  No they’re not. Doesn’t work that way. Players aren’t going to suck on purpose for team they won’t be on. 

I think it’s more of the product being put on the field by upper management doesn’t stand a chance against any NFL teams. The players aren’t playing bad on purpose 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How does this work, exactly? I have to assume at a minimum, Gase would be in on this. If so, I imagine he got some assurance that he'd be coaching next year, or some sort of financial reward guaranteed.

If Gase is in on it, are other coaches? How deep does it go?

Seems far out man.

This is probably all a JD plan. Gase is a walking dead man 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Andy Reid didn't get the memo.

He was basically free.  Roll the dice.

He brought in a washed up Revis too. How’d that work out?

Just now, FidelioJet said:

He was basically free.  Roll the dice.

He brought in a washed up Revis too. How’d that work out?

They were desperate at CB. They aren't at RB, and Reid knows a thing or two about offense.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think it’s more of the product being put on the field by upper management doesn’t stand a chance against any NFL teams. The players aren’t playing bad on purpose 

If they were tanking vets would be set and only young guys would be playing.  Flacco wouldn’t be playing 

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

This is probably all a JD plan. Gase is a walking dead man 

This is what Gase wants. He’s “rich as f*ck” and would love nothing more but to tank and be the sacrificial head coach that gets fired and can collect 2 years of his remaining contract for doing nothing. The Jets are where you go to get paid a ton to do nothing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

If they were tanking vets would be set and only young guys would be playing.  Flacco wouldn’t be playing 

Flacco and Gore gives us exactly a 0% chance at winning any game. Morgan and Perine would give them a better shot at a W

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I wouldn’t mind if that was true, but don’t see why Gase would tank unless he id assured he will be back next year.  🤢 

That's what I was going to post. I like McAfee - but if this is true - Gase is coming back for 2021.

1 minute ago, PCP63 said:

Ban for misleading title? 

What? I literally posted what was reported by Pat McAFee 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

This was all part of Douglas plan 

I doubt that highly

Waiting for Peyton Manning (who secretly hates the Jets?) to call him "My drunken, idiot punter".  

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Bell was cut because of his injury guarantee for 2021 more than anything else.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is what Gase wants. He’s “rich as f*ck” and would love nothing more but to tank and be the sacrificial head coach that gets fired and can collect 2 years of his remaining contract for doing nothing. The Jets are where you go to get paid a ton to do nothing. 

Might be the most logical post right here 

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

The only time I remember it legitimately working is when the Spurs tanked for Tim Duncan. They won a title his rookie year and went on to win 4 more. 

I mean if you have a shot at a possible generational player you almost gotta do it, no? 

I guess one could argue the Astros did it over the course of multiple seasons, but they ain’t exactly a model franchise in terms of ethics.  

I 100% understand the thinking, but so many teams have supposedly tried to tank and it rarely if ever results in the ultimate goal.  I just feel like going about business like that isn’t the honorable way to do it and it somehow creates bad karma or just a general ickiness for lack of a better term.  

Of course there’s also a part of me that says who cares about doing the honorable thing and just build a winner by any means necessary. 

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Thats why they got rid of the ALL of the good players....lol

The next in a long line of young men whose futures will be crippled and ruined by this organization.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Waiting for Peyton Manning (who secretly hates the Jets?) to call him "My drunken, idiot punter".  

Wrong guy

27 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

The other option is go out and win a few games that are enough to guarantee that you aint got a shot at Lawrence. 

Then, you build around Darnold and do OK. Maybe even make the playoffs only to get taken out by an Elite QB like a Mahomes. Burrow could be in that class. 

Brady made the Pats

P Manning  made the Colts

Mahomes the Chiefs

Montana the 49ers

You get the drill.

I don’t know if Darnold can be in that class but I still think he can be very good.

We have a ton of money to throw at free agents next year, we better have a new coach, and a trade down from a high draft pick could net us a haul of premium-ish picks.  We are not just a QB away from being good.  We are devoid of talent everywhere.  I think An infusion of talent throughout the team via draft and FA and maybe properly developing/resurrecting our QB is the way to go. 

But if we’re picking #1 and staring at Lawrence, it’d be quite the ballsy move to trade down....I’m glad I’m in charge of these decisions.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

The NFL should start a lottery system. Purposely tanking is a shameful process and a total disregard to loyal fans.

Starting in 2022, yes the NFL should start a lotto system...

So this is why Gase has been playing "good soldier"?  Because he's going to get to develop a new QB next year?

Does anyone really think that's a good plan?