Trevor Lawrence is the answer: MERGED

Rhg1084

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

RE: Tanking (which I do not believe in)

So let's take the leap of faith that the team wants to do this and decides that the resultant loss of revenues, damage to culture and diminution of brand value will be offset by the benefit of increasing the possibility acquiring a can't miss prospect (which I also do not believe in). On the face, a disasterous business decision. 

The only way to do this is through purposely reducing the quality of coaching and the product put on the field, al la the Indians from the movie Major League

However there is no possible way the players themselves would try to lose games. They are, if nothing else playing for their professional lives. Underperform and NFL stands for Not For Long. No one would ever give up money and career so a team could tank. No one, ever.

The whole idea is insulting to me as a fan. So if this is indeed the truth about the team, fine. In that case I want to see Willie Mays Hayes steal bases, Wild Thing find his control and Raul Serrano stop relying on Jobu. (expeltive deleted) the Tank.

May any team management in any sport that evens consider tanking be (expletive deleted) in the (expletive deleted) in (expletive deleted) for eternity 

Keeping Gase reinforces the impression that they are indeed ok with terrible coaching,  and I'm quite sure that Jeff Smith, Greg Van Roten, Alec Ogeltree, Pierre Desir and Co. are trying their best.....they just suck.

This team had 2 possible Pro Bowl caliber players on the roster 3 months ago. One was traded, the other opted out. 

? 

On 10/17/2020 at 2:18 PM, Rob Moore said:

I don’t remember all the details of that colts season but as the injuries and bad luck piled up, it seemed most fans shifted into tank mode....totally different from a planned tank.

I wholeheartedly agree that organizationally you can’t pull off a tank...management might want to do it, might even take the steps needed to do so, but players and coaches do not tank.  One needs to simply watch the movie Major League for proof!

I despise the idea/thought of tanking anyway.  It’s not the honorable way to go about it.  Plan, coach, play your best and let the chips fall where they may.

Some or even most fans "into" tanking doesn't = the team is tanking

After that season the GM and HC, and I think the whole FO and coaching staff with them, were fired. On top of that so many players were cut (and several never played again for anyone). They were in on nothing other than trying to win ballgames, right to the end of the season. They just sucked is all. 

17 hours ago, JTJet said:

Believe me #SuckforLuck was a very real operation in full effect. It was hilarious to watch at the time as a Jets fan living in Indy. 

Watching the Colts fans pretend to support their team but not show up to games while Painter was playing. The local news was doing everything it could to make it seem the team and fans were serious about the season. I would say the stadium was barely at 40% capacity that season. 

In hindsight not as funny when watching our team/fans do the exact same thing. Sucks really. 

I wrote a whole dissertation about how that is a fallacy. Please don't make me do it again. 

39 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I wrote a whole dissertation about how that is a fallacy. Please don't make me do it again. 

Go ahead get your jollies off. I lived and worked through it a block away from Lucas Oil stadium the entire time. 

It was real. 

7 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Yes, we are. We won one Super Bowl and made two AFC championship games since 2010 and one in 98. They haven't won any (that's enough of a difference - isn't winning Super Bowls the barometer). Also, they lost in the worst possible way by choking a Super Bowl. The 98 Super Bowl they had no chance to win and we beat them 28-3 that year. The Jets and Denver were much better teams in that same year. The actual Super Bowl was in the AFC Championship game. No contest IMO.

Yeah, nope.  No one is worse than the Jets except maybe the Browns.  

• Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I don't care if you sold hot dogs at the stadium. It wasn't. And no, I'm not doing it.

I'll believe what I saw with my own eyes over some random message board investigative journalist. 

By Mike Vaccaro

October 17, 2020 | 3:42pm

image.png.6db8ce53f6e8ff57c949b2aeef27039e.png

Trevor Lawrence celebrates with Clemson coach Dabo Swinney.Getty Images

Mick Jagger sang it in 1966, and it rings true in 2020: “Kids are different today.”

Trevor Lawrence is a junior at Clemson. By all appearances, he enjoys his status as the quarterback for the perennially awesome Tigers, enjoys being a perennial Heisman Trophy candidate, enjoys his BMOC status. Life is never better than when you are the quarterback hero of a great team.

Still, he is eligible to enter next spring’s NFL draft. And that means he not only gets to start earning a king’s ransom, he gets to start the clock on when he can possibly command the kind of windfall Patrick Mahomes earned from the Chiefs a couple of months ago, a number that could well be half a billion — with a “B” — dollars before he’s done.

So while you could certainly understand the appeal if Lawrence wanted to spend his Saturdays next autumn singing the Clemson fight song another 14 or 15 times … well, kids are different today. I hear every mother say. You have to believe Lawrence will be hard-pressed to pass up the chance to get paid. And that means whichever team winds up with the 1-1 slot in the draft will have that to look forward to.

If he comes out. And he’ll almost certainly come out.

But, then, 23 years ago, Peyton Manning was almost certainly going to come out after his junior year at Tennessee. He was like Lawrence is now: a can’t-miss prospect. And the Jets had finished 1-15 in 1996 and earned the 1-1 for the second year in a row. In 1996 they’d picked Keyshawn Johnson. Now, with Bill Parcells freshly hired, they were in position to draft the man who would feed Keyshawn the damned ball for the next 10-12 years.

image.thumb.png.6522276b45d9f4a29f0b2b63c07a12c6.png

Trevor Lawrence AP

Except … well, you know.

Back page of The Post, March 6, 1997: “PEYTON MOURNING.”

Subhead: “Manning jilts Jets, decides to stay at Tennessee.”

There was a grim-looking picture of Parcells. There was a picture of Peyton declaring his loyalties to the orange and white, choosing Knoxville over Fun City.

Parcells said all the right things that day.

“The common feeling in this country today,” he said, “is everybody sells out for money and opportunity. I would say I admire that decision. I think it took some courage to make it.”

Our man Steve Serby had this to say: “You cannot knock a kid for following his heart. You have only one chance to be a college senior. One chance to be forever young. One chance to be Big Man on Campus. One last chance to get away with the panty raids.”

And, look: it worked out. For Peyton there was no national championship with the Volunteers and no Heisman Trophy, but there would be two Super Bowl titles for him, one in Indianapolis and one in Denver, there were 71,940 passing yards, 539 touchdowns, a certain space in the Hall of Fame, status as one of the best to ever play the position.

And it worked out OK for the Jets for a while, too. Vinny Testaverde came here in 1998. Parcells turned the Jets from 1-15 to 9-7 to 12-4 and the AFC Championship game.

Still …

Manning as a Jet would have been a game-changer in many ways, for so many reasons. The possibilities are endless, beyond the Lombardi Trophies he might have added to the Jets’ lonely collection: sharing the same division with Tom Brady most of the way. Sharing New York City with his brother for a good chunk of the way. As it was, even based mostly in Indiana, Peyton became a Madison Avenue staple. How much more of him would there have been?

It’s an old lament.

But it surely has to be at least a fissure in the minds of anyone who seeks solace from the possibility — or probability — if an 0-16 or 1-15 season for one (or both) of the locals. Kids are different today. Lawrence will probably come out. Check back again in January.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/17/the-potential-trevor-lawrence-heartbreak-looming-over-jets/

• Thumb Down 1

I'm done pinning my hopes on a college boy.  Went through that too many times to go through it again.  Darnold was it for me.

I'm convinced that if the Gods deem the Jets worthy of a great quarterback it will happen, doesn't have to be the number one pick, doesn't have to be in the first round even.  I will let the chips fall this time and I will not allow myself to get excited or destroyed by a college kid ever again.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

He’s coming out for sure. It’s 2020 not 1998. Too much money involved now 

Yep, the pressure will be on him to declare for the draft and he will have the lesson of Matt Barkley drummed into his skull every time he even thinks about staying in school for one more year.

I honestly doubt that Trevor Lawrence stays in school.  All he has to do is rewatch Dak’s injury.  Dak cost himself at least $40M and could miss more than an entire year.  He’ll declare and Joe Douglass’s reputation around the league will help him feel good about going to NY.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Yet you’ve pinned your hopes on Gase. 

No, I have not.  I merely accept our fate as a condition of fandom and make the best of it.

Gase is calling the shots.  Might as well support the guy.  He's not going anywhere.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, I have not.  I merely accept our fate as a condition of fandom and make the best of it.

Gase is calling the shots.  Might as well support the guy.  He's not going anywhere.

SAR I

, through the end of December.