Sign in to follow this  
neckdemon

Realistic Trade Down Compensation for Trevor Lawrence

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Could the Jets realistically get a better deal than what was given for Ricky Williams and would it be worth it? So a teams entire 2021 draft pick allotment plus a 2022 1st? Is that realistic and would you do it? If not....what do you think it would take to make the trade away from Trevor Lawrence worth it?"

Two issues, 1) Not everyone is as stupid as Mike Ditka - you need more than one player to win in the NFL - so no - no one is trading their entire draft.  2)  There exists a possibility that TL will balk at playing for the Jets - if TL does come out and wants to be traded - a la Elway or Eli, you do it.  So what do we get?  I would want the 2021, 2023 and 2025 First Round Picks and the 2022 and 2024 Second Round Picks (that's one 2nd rnd pick better than the RGIII trade - regardless the fact TL is a better prospect than RGIII - obviously the "Washington Football Team" overpaid.

Our opportunities to select impact players in the future would then be as follows:

1st Rnd       2nd Rnd      3rd Rnd

2021        2                 1                   2

2022        2                 2                   1

2023        2                 1                   1

2024        1                 2                   1

2025        2                1                    1

That's 22 potential impact selections in 5 years. 

• Post of the Week 1

If the Jets end up with the #1 pick, they're going to take TL unless some really serious red flag comes up. 

Why? Because if the Jets end up with that, pick they will have sucked the entire year. If the OL eventually gels and Sam Darnold starts playing well, the Jets will end up winning 2 or 3 games late in the year and not even have that pick. 

Of course, you listen. I mean, if some team wants to trade its entire draft for 2 straight years, you have to listen... I think the one thing that JD does well is get value in trades. Constructing a roster with all the picks he's acquiring may be the problem.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I can't do it.....as much as I want it to happen...as likely as it seems with every passing week....I can't get my hopes up until pick 1 is a forgone conclusion

I'm in the same boat i just like to have some fun :) I do believe though he will be the Jets QB next year this team is not winning a game this year schedule is lined up perfectly for that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Same was said about Luck.......how did that turn out. If you are offered a complete windfall and don't even entertain it you are a bad GM imo. 

It turned out really good. They made the playoffs Luck's first 3 years and were in the AFCCG by year 3.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

A QB with the talent that Trevor Lawrence has doesn't come around too often. 

You do not trade the #1 pick you select Trevor Lawrence. 

End of discussion. 

Yeah like they said about Sam. Even Mayock.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I can't do it.....as much as I want it to happen...as likely as it seems with every passing week....I can't get my hopes up until pick 1 is a forgone conclusion

Me too. Can't shake the feeling that they'll "jet" this up in some way. 

13 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

If the Jets end up with the #1 pick, they're going to take TL unless some really serious red flag comes up. 

Why? Because if the Jets end up with that, pick they will have sucked the entire year. If the OL eventually gels and Sam Darnold starts playing well, the Jets will end up winning 2 or 3 games late in the year and not even have that pick. 

Of course, you listen. I mean, if some team wants to trade its entire draft for 2 straight years, you have to listen... I think the one thing that JD does well is get value in trades. Constructing a roster with all the picks he's acquiring may be the problem.

The problem with trading the #1 is that you're then putting all your eggs in the Darnold basket. You're giving him a LTE at big money when he's shown zero ability to a) stay healthy an entire season and b) play at a high level.

The more I think about it, if the Jets get #1 OVR, you have o take TL. Trading the pick is the height of stupidity. You get TL on a rookie deal, cap space to bring in help and obstensibly a better QB. 

• Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

Me too. Can't shake the feeling that they'll "jet" this up in some way. 

My god i hope not we need something to feel good about I'm numb at this point well actually for almost 40 years but who's counting lol.

I would be looking hard to trade out of #1.  If the trade was there I would make it quickly.

Lawrence is good and worthy of the #1 pick but is not on the level of god hood being projected here.  He would get killed on the jets.

I actually did a little trade down scenario on one of the mock draft sites last night and got a bounty if picks to move down to about #7.  I ended up with 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders and 2 or 3 third rounders.

From that I got the following players:  (not in where picked order as i forget the exact order)

Jaylen Waddle

Devonta Smith

Kyle Pitts

Creed Humphrery

Travis Etienne

Stokes the CB from Georiga

one of the top rate OGs

Edge rusher

The Jets should not be dumping Darnold yet, as I've said often Darnold is Tannehill two years from now, 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

No team is trading TL.. 

Some guys here want the Jets do deal him.

The Jets would have 2 - 1st round picks for the next 5 drafts.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Same was said about Luck.......how did that turn out. If you are offered a complete windfall and don't even entertain it you are a bad GM imo. 

What the hell does Luck have to do with this? Btw, he was having a pretty fine career before his retirement.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The problem with trading the #1 is that you're then putting all your eggs in the Darnold basket. You're giving him a LTE at big money when he's shown zero ability to a) stay healthy an entire season and b) play at a high level.

The more I think about it, if the Jets get #1 OVR, you have o take TL. Trading the pick is the height of stupidity. You get TL on a rookie deal, cap space to bring in help and obstensibly a better QB. 

Precisely.

QB is the most important position on the team and the hardest to find. Mahomes turned the Chiefs around. Ben brought the Steelers back to life. The Packers were mediocre until Favre showed up. The Broncos have been trying to replace the loss of Elway at QB. If Lawrence is for real he would be the best Jets QB since Namath.

15 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Precisely.

QB is the most important position on the team and the hardest to find. Mahomes turned the Chiefs around. Ben brought the Steelers back to life. The Packers were mediocre until Favre showed up. The Broncos have been trying to replace the loss of Elway at QB. If Lawrence is for real he would be the best Jets QB since Namath.

Eagles and Ravens. That's where JD has ties. He likely will view drafting a QB like they do. Ravens are fine with building their team and taking a QB in the mid to late first round. The Eagle probably wish they never made the trade with Cleveland to move up to draft Wentz.  I see it as a window as to how JD might view it. Drafting a QB is putting the cart before the horse. He can pass on Lawrence because even if Lawrence succeeds elsewhere it doesn't mean he would succeed here. You need the infrastructure in place to help a young QB to succeed.

• Upvote 2

There are really two aspects to this, trade down comp if passing on lawrence and trade value of sam darnold.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Jesus H Christ this thread is terrifying

true.. and it's FAR from over / the end   :ahhh:  

You already know once the Jets draft Lawrence it will guarantee Trey Lance will be the best QB from that draft.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

How did it all work out? 

You realize you're completely backwards on this, right? If we pick one player it is TL. The team with the haul ended up better in the end, but that was just a running back, not a franchise QB. Have to take TL if there.

This depends a lot on the future of the team. If Gase is sticking around then might as well trade down, improve the roster across the board and let Darnold and Gase take control of their future. Gase plus another young QB is not likely to have much of a different outcome than Gase plus Darnold. When Gase washes out with a better roster than at least the team is an attractive roster for a new coach who can weigh in on QB options.

If Gase is out at the end of the year then leave it up to the new HC to decide whether to roll with Darnold or pick somebody else. 

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Andrew Luck started his career with 3 straight 11-win seasons, including a 40-TD season and 3 Pro Bowl appearances.  

Just stop.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You realize you're completely backwards on this, right? If we pick one player it is TL. The team with the haul ended up better in the end, but that was just a running back, not a franchise QB. Have to take TL if there.

Im asking trading away the entire draft for Ricky Williams how it all worked out. 

Was it successful. 

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Name QBs who have won the national championship and a superbowl?

Joe Namath and Joe Montana.  Cam Newton won 2 national titles and went to a Super Bowl.

This is a silly criteria on which to judge Trevor Lawrence. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Im asking trading away the entire draft for Ricky Williams how it all worked out. 

Was it successful. 

Why is this even relevant to this conversation?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Namath and Joe Montana.  Cam Newton won a national title and went to a Super Bowl.

This is a silly criteria on which to judge Trevor Lawrence. 

No more silly than people watching him play for a loaded Clemson squad and saying he is the best prospect since Elway and Manning (the elder son).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Why is this even relevant to this conversation?

It most certainly is when certain people are entertaining trading the #1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

7 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Could the Jets realistically get a better deal than what was given for Ricky Williams and would it be worth it? So a teams entire 2021 draft pick allotment plus a 2022 1st? Is that realistic and would you do it? If not....what do you think it would take to make the trade away from Trevor Lawrence worth it?"

@Scott Dierking

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

My house is not for sale right now. But if someone knocks on my door and offers $2m, then it is all of a sudden for sale.

Only fools close their ears to any offers.

Say you could guarantee Trevor Lawrence ends up the next Pat Mahomes (or something close to it).  How many 1st rounders would it take to give him up?  10?  More?  Would any number suffice?

Sometimes no offer really is good enough.  The word "priceless" is meaningful here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Say you could guarantee Trevor Lawrence ends up the next Pat Mahomes (or something close to it).  How many 1st rounders would it take to give him up?  10?  More?  Would any number suffice?

Sometimes no offer is good enough.  

agreeing kevin corrigan GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

It most certainly is when certain people are entertaining trading the #1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

But then, isn't the concern really none of the Jets? They would be the one, supposedly getting a boatload of picks.  Meaning the Jets are the Redskins, not the Saints. 

Really trying to understand your angle.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sometimes no offer really is good enough.  The word "priceless" is meaningful here.

No one can guarantee that, as you know. Iyt is impossible.

Listen, I am not advocating to trade the pick. But, I also have not seen Justin Fields play this year. I am interested in that.

if someone at the #2 spot wants to move up for TL, and gives me a boatload of other picks, I at least listen.

• Upvote 1

Pick Trevor. I don’t give a sh*t what anyone, including Trevor himself have to say. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

But then, isn't the concern really none of the Jets? They would be the one, supposedly getting a boatload of picks.  Meaning the Jets are the Redskins, not the Saints. 

Really trying to understand your angle.

My angle is you don't trade away a once in 25 year QB for any amount of picks, im a NY Jets fan I want Trevor Lawrence. 

The Ricky Williams trade netted neither team success. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

My angle is you don't trade away a once in 25 year QB for any amount of picks, im a NY Jets fan I want Trevor Lawrence. 

The Ricky Williams trade netted neither team success. 

Ok then, how did the Herschel Walker trade help the Cowboys? This cuts both ways. 

• Upvote 1