Tanking to save his job

kmnj

Joe D has been terrible 

his draft brought us only one player that has contributed 

his free agent signings have been terrible 

the guys he paid have been terrible 

now he is dumping anybody and everyone and some fans are buying into it  as this was his plan all along 

he is trying to hide his incompetence by using the tanking mantra- don’t be suckered in by it- this is not Ozzie a proven gm but a guy “Gase hired” and Gase is simply terrible 

If they jets were to get TL at first pick he would be 40 by the time the jets got players of substance around him if Joe runs the show- is he going to bring in more perriman ballage and gore types and pay more guys like Griffin ? Is joe going to promise Trevors family he will protect their son and give him weapons   He already lost all credibility there as he lied to Sam and his family

the solution ( if possible) vastly overpay a PROVEN commodity at GM and coach and hope for the best . As a fan who has attended 300+ games and a PSL owner I am tired of being asked to be patient while incompetent folks are in charge 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 10
  • Post of the Week 2

IMO, Douglas has cleaned the team of high contracts and next is going to be the coaches at the end of the season. Douglas must have a plan in his mind, to be adding plenty of draft picks for next year, Notice the free agents he signed the contracts are mostly one or two years no rich multiyear contracts. I do believe that he has a plan and just waiting to capitalize on the offseason. Remember Gase and Williams are not in his plans next year and notice not once has he really said anything about the coaching staff. 

I also believe, Douglas has someone in mind to coach this team and he has not let on and believe we will know at the end of the season. We all threw out plenty of candidates but there must be someone we never thought or named,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jbt said:

agree.  10+ years of bad drafting and free agent signings should of been fixed in 1 year by Joe D

Yeah but he's letting the little talent we have out the door and he's created the worst culture in sports. During his time here he's not made any great signings and his first draft class is looking below average outside of Becton. JD has a lot to prove. 

• Upvote 3

I think it’s pretty apparent that if you look back to this Spring, with the question of even having a season in the balance, and with the majority of our FA signings being bottom of the barrel on year deals while also holding onto $30M in cap space that Douglas wasn’t looking good win this year. (Hello Jamal!)  I don’t think he expected this shatshow either, but injuries and inept coaching have taken its toll.

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yeah but he's letting the little talent we have out the door and he's created the worst culture in sports. During his time here he's not made any great signings and his first draft class is looking below average outside of Becton. JD has a lot to prove. 

New flash bro, this organization has been the worst culture in sports since god knows when. This isn’t a quick clean up job. Now does he deserve to shoulder some blame? Hell yes. I don’t think he did good enough finding weapons in FA (not that there were many options but he should of kept Robby for a few more million.) I also think the OL FA pool was fairly shallow last year but I do think he could of went in on Conklin and had a mainstay at RT. 

Are his draft picks even playing?Perine seems to be decent in a limited role, Mims is hurt, idk where Zungia is, Morgan was a stupid pick and Mann is good. I’m actually just happy he hit on a franchise LT on his first try. I’m not angry about the draft because I acknowledge a lot of these players haven’t even seen the field and the ones that have aren’t too bad.

whatever, point is, the Jets are run by a head coach notorious for being a huge part of toxic locker rooms, sending talented players away, having a terrible personality and losing games by historical point differentials...that is the main issue here. JD has 4 years to learn from any mistakes he makes 1 1/2 in his first GM job. He isn’t trying to save his job. It’s secure if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I really think people need to rewind and remember the negotiations Douglas had before he took the GM job.

- He said no initially. Not interested. Why? He didn’t believe in Gase and knew the roster was horrendous. The initial offer was reported at a normal/reasonable 4 years.

- He only accepted the 6 year deal. He knew going in Gase wasn’t his guy, but that Gase was just hired and would probably be there for a couple of years. 

- This is Douglas cleansing the team of everything, old players, old contracts, and more importantly the coaching staff. 

- I’m fairly certain JD didn’t expect us to go 0-16 and/or get the 1st pick after this season, but he sure as hell traded Jamal Adams for the ammo to possibly trade up for a once-in-a-decade generational QB prospect in case Sam was just meh or worse. 

Joe Douglas learned from some of the best GMs, who had a heavy hand in all football matters. He’s going to build the team his way, on his timeline, from top to bottom - players and coaching.

He wasn’t taking this job to try to win with what was already here. The only one he probably had hope for was Sam, and even him he seems to be lining up to draft his replacement. At least he has the balls to do what no one here since Mancini has done, rip it down and build it up how you want to.

Hit the nail on the head. Why is it so difficult for some people to understand this?

I really think people need to rewind and remember the negotiations Douglas had before he took the GM job.

- He said no initially. Not interested. Why? He didn’t believe in Gase and knew the roster was horrendous. The initial offer was reported at a normal/reasonable 4 years.

- He only accepted the 6 year deal. He knew going in Gase wasn’t his guy, but that Gase was just hired and would probably be there for a couple of years. 

- This is Douglas cleansing the team of everything, old players, old contracts, and more importantly the coaching staff. 

- I’m fairly certain JD didn’t expect us to go 0-16 and/or get the 1st pick after this season, but he sure as hell traded Jamal Adams for the ammo to possibly trade up for a once-in-a-decade generational QB prospect in case Sam was just meh or worse. 

Joe Douglas learned from some of the best GMs, who had a heavy hand in all football matters. He’s going to build the team his way, on his timeline, from top to bottom - players and coaching.

He wasn’t taking this job to try to win with what was already here. The only one he probably had hope for was Sam, and even him he seems to be lining up to draft his replacement. At least he has the balls to do what no one here since Mancini has done, rip it down and build it up how you want to.

I agree with this, he wasn't trying to go 0 and 16 but he knew this wasn't a good team. He knew this wasn't a playoff team, otherwise you don't trade Jamal Adams.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Young Jetty said:

Hit the nail on the head. Why is it so difficult for some people to understand this?

People love seeing a perpetual 6-10/7-9 team. I guarantee more people around here would be happier if the Jets were 2-4, heading nowhere if Sam was 'showing signs' and they still had Robby Anderson putting up meaningless yards.

If you're going to be bad - BE BAD.

• Post of the Week 1

I love the myopic section of our fanbase. The alternative course of action was overpaying mediocre free agents--who everyone would be complaining about right now, as if Trumaine Johnson, and LeVeon Bell, and Ryan Kalil didn't drive home the point strongly enough--so we can go 6-10 while hamstringing our future and being just good enough to keep Gase for a third season and preventing our team from landing a premium draft pick. Yeah, that would have been great.

As another poster said, you don't fix a decade of ineptitude in one offseason. I should copy/paste my response since I've typed it so many times in the last few weeks...

In seven months we can have:

• A new HC of Douglas' choosing.
  • Trevor Lawrence.
  • An elite WR or interior OL help with Seattle's #1.
  • Mims (who will be good).
  • Becton.
  • An FA class where Douglas will be more willing to spend.

• Upvote 4

This is the key. Douglas knew he needed a 6-year deal because he knew the first two would be lost years. Tearing things down, getting rid of Gase, building a solid foundation through the draft. Starting this coming offseason is the beginning of his real or normal 4-year GM contract.

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

This is the worst NFL team in the history of the NFL. Worse than the Kotite Jets. Worse than the expansion Buccaneers with John McKay. Worse than the 2016-17 Browns under Hugh Jackson that went 1-31 over two seasons. The Jets took bad and made historically bad. Reports of the Jets tanking on purpose is felonious. Not one soul at One Jets Drive expexlcted the Jets would be the worst team in the history of the NFL after free agency and the draft completed. I realize we still have 11 games to go, but it's painfully obvious the Jets will lose out. Joe's transactions as GM are so bad/underwhelming during his time here we're now having a fire sale. Thus far Glass Joe's more comparable to John Idzik than he is Ozzie Newsome. It's like the Jets are going out of business or the team is moving. Feels like we're the Rams in St. Louis stinking up the joint right before Stan Kroenke moved the to Los Angeles.

The Lions are the worst team in the NFL and it's not even close. They have 1 playoff win since Eisenhower was in office(1991 Divisional Playoff win vs the Cowboys).

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

This is the worst NFL team in the history of the NFL. Worse than the Kotite Jets. Worse than the expansion Buccaneers with John McKay. Worse than the 2016-17 Browns under Hugh Jackson that went 1-31 over two seasons. The Jets took bad and made historically bad. Reports of the Jets tanking on purpose are felonious. Not one soul at One Jets Drive expected the Jets would be the worst team in the history of the NFL after free agency and the draft completed. I realize we still have 11 games to go, but it's painfully obvious the Jets will lose out. Joe's transactions as GM are so bad/underwhelming during his time here we're now having a fire sale. Thus far Glass Joe's more comparable to John Idzik than he is Ozzie Newsome. It's like the Jets are going out of business or the team is moving. Feels like we're the Rams in St. Louis stinking up the joint right before Stan Kroenke moved the Rams to Los Angeles.

I agree, I wasn’t around for the Kotite years but just from a pure numbers standpoint, it’s much, much worse. The fact that we haven’t done anything or fired anyone yet is mind boggling and extremely frustrating. It’s even disrespectful.

• Upvote 3

I think it's funny that Elway and Manning are the comparisons for how great a prospect Lawrence is. COMBINED Elway and Manning won a total of 1 Superbowl before their 15th season. They did win 3 in their 15th, 16th and 18th Season.  Look out 2035 here come the Lawrence led Jets.

By comparison, Roethlisberger won in years 2 and 5; Russel Wilson in year 2; Patrick Mahomes in year 3; Aaron Rodgers in year 6; Joe Flacco in year 5; and Nick Foles in year 6. Why is this important? Because what I want is a Superbowl sooner rather than later and the record indicates the can't miss prospect fair no better (actually worse) than prospects who are not the greatest surrounded by a great team. 

So, Lawrence as great as he might be is most definitely not the panacea many believe him to be. Perhaps the better course of action is to fix the team and then the QB might actually start to look like a pretty good player. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe D has been terrible 

his draft brought us only one player that has contributed 

his free agent signings have been terrible 

the guys he paid have been terrible 

now he is dumping anybody and everyone and some fans are buying into it  as this was his plan all along 

he is trying to hide his incompetence by using the tanking mantra- don’t be suckered in by it- this is not Ozzie a proven gm but a guy “Gase hired” and Gase is simply terrible 

If they jets were to get TL at first pick he would be 40 by the time the jets got players of substance around him if Joe runs the show- is he going to bring in more perriman ballage and gore types and pay more guys like Griffin ? Is joe going to promise Trevors family he will protect their son and give him weapons   He already lost all credibility there as he lied to Sam and his family

the solution ( if possible) vastly overpay a PROVEN commodity at GM and coach and hope for the best . As a fan who has attended 300+ games and a PSL owner I am tired of being asked to be patient while incompetent folks are in charge 

He's had a grand total of 1 draft class. And of the players we have seen Beckton looks amazing. The other are injured and it's impossible to grade them until they got on the field. Sure you could complain that he drafted injury prone players but it's also possible that JD has been protecting these players in a tanking season. Meaning, why play them injured when there is no upside. 

Regardless, his trades thus far have been really good. 

Am I ready to anoint him as a great GM? Hell no. But it's WAY too early to complain. If Mims comes out and looks horrible, then I will start to worry because not coming away with an elite WR from this draft glass would be negligent. 

20 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think it's funny that Elway and Manning are the comparisons for how great a prospect Lawrence is. COMBINED Elway and Manning won a total of 1 Superbowl before their 15th season. They did win 3 in their 15th, 16th and 18th Season.  Look out 2035 here come the Lawrence led Jets.

By comparison, Roethlisberger won in years 2 and 5; Russel Wilson in year 2; Patrick Mahomes in year 3; Aaron Rodgers in year 6; Joe Flacco in year 5; and Nick Foles in year 6. Why is this important? Because what I want is a Superbowl sooner rather than later and the record indicates the can't miss prospect fair no better (actually worse) than prospects who are not the greatest surrounded by a great team. 

So, Lawrence as great as he might be is most definitely not the panacea many believe him to be. Perhaps the better course of action is to fix the team and then the QB might actually start to look like a pretty good player. 

I don’t think Trevor Lawrence’s NFL comparisons have anything to do with how soon a team led by Trevor Lawrence can make the super bowl. The Saints lose Brees to a broken leg at the beginning of this season, Saints get the first pick, Saints draft Trevor, I doubt it takes that team 15 to win a ring.

idk what you were gunning for there. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think Trevor Lawrence’s NFL comparisons have anything to do with how soon a team led by Trevor Lawrence can make the super bowl. The Saints lose Brees to a broken leg at the beginning of this season, Saints get the first pick, Saints draft Trevor, I doubt it takes that team 15 to win a ring.

Kudos for to responding to that post. I couldn't muster up the will to do it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree with some of this, I definitely dont think fielding the worst NFL team in the history of the league was his goal but I also dont think he planned on winning this season.  Nothing he did this offseason speaks to a guy trying to win this season but he 100% made his job much much more difficult and I dont think that was his intent.  

My concern is, Adam Gase hired Douglas.  Let's be real.  For whatever reason, Adam Gase has CJ by the balls.  And this doesnt seem like a situation where the GM and HC arent on the same page.  They seem lock step with each other.  JD caving to Gase in every situation. 

So we'll see what happens but I have a weird feeling Gase is safe.  He's a terrible HC, no doubt but this is the worst Football team I've ever seen.  I'm firm believer coaching matters a lot and maybe another coach could muster a win or two but I really dont think it would look much different.  Every single position on the roster needs to be upgraded, again.

26 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

These two played in almost 50 playoff games combined. Whittling it down to Super Bowls won is a bad way of figuring out how successful they were and the impact they had in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The point is the road to the championship is through building a team. No one player gets you there. And the path to building a better team quicker means you trade out of the Lawrence spot if you get it and you draft more players. Mark Sanchez beat Brady, Manning and Brees on the road in the playoffs, not because he was a better QB than they were. It was because he had a better team. Don't pin your hopes on one player, it is the road to certain failure. TEAM TEAM TEAM that is what you need and it takes 30 to 40 really good players to compete for the SB. One QB alone will never get you there.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1