A scenario I think has not been discussed

Big Snell

We have a chance to draft an Andrew Luck, Lebron James, Sidney Crosby type prospect. The kind of player as a Jets fan we never ever thought would end up on our team. A guy who comes in on a 5 year rookie deal. Why the hell would we trade that for draft picks? Can we ban “trade for more picks” threads for the next 6 months? 

• Upvote 2

If we get the #1 pick, Lawrence declares for the draft, and we trade the pick--that would be rock bottom. The fanbase would be irate, you can't pass on a prospect like Lawrence and risk him becoming a superstar somewhere else. Even if Darnold turns into a serviceable middle of the pack QB, you have to pay him in a year and now you are juggling injury concerns, turnover concerns, and bad mechanics versus starting the timeline over with a uniquely gifted prospect. 

2 hours ago, genot said:

It's been a long time since i posted. Letting Anderson get away, and the horror that is Adam Gase we're the reasons. Darnold is not the problem here. We have the 1st pick,you trade down for a kings ransom

Whether Darnold is the problem doesn't matter.  He has one more "cheap" year.  For 2022 the 5th year option will be over $25M.  Then you have to sign him to a contract.  **** that.  When is this "king's ransom" going to pay off?  

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Whether Darnold is the problem doesn't matter.  He has one more "cheap" year.  For 2022 the 5th year option will be over $25M.  Then you have to sign him to a contract.  **** that.  When is this "king's ransom" going to pay off?  

Draft Lawrence.  Have Sam start next year with a real roster and head coach and then trade him at the deadline for picks.  Move on with Lawrence.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

We have a chance to draft an Andrew Luck, Lebron James, Sidney Crosby type prospect. The kind of player as a Jets fan we never ever thought would end up on our team. A guy who comes in on a 5 year rookie deal. Why the hell would we trade that for draft picks? Can we ban “trade for more picks” threads for the next 6 months? 

I’m really worried the Johnsons are going to botch this

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Draft Lawrence.  Have Sam start next year with a real roster and head coach and then trade him at the deadline for picks.  Move on with Lawrence.

I could live with that. Good point. Until they do the Jetsiest thing. Trade Darnold, pass on Lawrence, and draft a DT with the first pick and trot Morgan out there in 2021 !

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I am actually fine with trading down.  I haven't fallen in love with Lawrence yet.  That being said, you need to have a plan at QB beyond letting Darnold play out his deal.  Pick Lawrence, trade down and pick one of the others, whatever. 

For the last decade, the first overall picks have been Bradford, Newton, Luck, Winston, Goff, Mayfield, Murray and Burrow.  Trubisky, Mariota and Wentz went #2 and Bortles #3 overall.  Meanwhile, Wilson went in the 3rd, Cousins went in the 4th, Bridgewater and Jackson went with the last pick in the 1st round and Mahomes went #10 overall.  Getting the top "prospect" doesn't really mean sh*t. Find somebody that you like and can work with and go from there.  The problem is that I have no faith that this sh*theads can succeed with anything less than HOF talent.  I don't know where that leaves us, but if we get a new coach like Roman, I'd let him pick who he wants and roll from there. 

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Not realistic. 

If the Jets draft Lawrence, teams know that the Jets will have to move on from Sam after next year if they want to move forward with Lawrence (i.e. the Jets won't be picking up Sam's 5th year option and won't be offering him a long term extension). As a result, Darnold would have significantly diminished trade value at next year's deadline. 

If the Jets get the number 1 pick, Sam will be traded in the offseason, unless they decide to trade the number 1 overall pick for a haul (but we all know they are taking Lawrence). 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am actually fine with trading down.  I haven't fallen in love with Lawrence yet.  That being said, you need to have a plan at QB beyond letting Darnold play out his deal.  Pick Lawrence, trade down and pick one of the others, whatever. 

For the last decade, the first overall picks have been Bradford, Newton, Luck, Winston, Goff, Mayfield, Murray and Burrow.  Trubisky, Mariota and Wentz went #2 and Bortles #3 overall.  Meanwhile, Wilson went in the 3rd, Cousins went in the 4th, Bridgewater and Jackson went with the last pick in the 1st round and Mahomes went #10 overall.  Getting the top "prospect" doesn't really mean sh*t. Find somebody that you like and can work with and go from there.  The problem is that I have no faith that this sh*theads can succeed with anything less than HOF talent.  I don't know where that leaves us, but if we get a new coach like Roman, I'd let him pick who he wants and roll from there. 

You are entirely correct, and yet, the "generational prospect" hype that Lawrence enjoys basically guarantees that he will be the first overall pick. 

I struggle to see a scenario where Darnold will ever succeed as a NY Jet.  Bringing in a Harbaugh or other big name would help but he needs to have a strong support team around him to cover for his iffy mechanics and decision making.  It's going to take us too long. Maybe a team like Pittsburgh after Ben goes...

I would definitely entertain trade downs. Our roster is obviously super trash right now and needs a huge influx of talent. Having several 1st and 2nd rounders for a couple years would do just that.

Does anyone think Trevor Lawrence would be doing well on this Jets team this year?

People on this forum were calling Darnold the next can't miss prospect in 17.

• Upvote 1

Who has the draft capital and/or players to trade for the #1 pick?

As far as draft capital, I only see Jacksonville. This year, right now, they have 2 each in the first and second rounds and their 3d round picks (5th, 26th, 37th, 44th, and 69th). Plus their 2022 picks.

Would the Colts be tempted to give up some or all their first and second round picks plus Quinton Nelson and maybe Rock Ya Sin?

5 hours ago, Copernicus said:

There are 9 teams with 1 win and 3 with 2. Sam is good enough to win us a few games once Behcton, Mims, Perriman and Perrine are on the same page.  The Jets getting the #1 pick is far from a lock

If the Jets get rid of Gase, they are more likely to win.

We need to keep Gase for the rest of the season.  

13 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I’m actually far more concerned we don’t end up with the first pick.

I wouldnt be shocked if Darnold played an A game and we beat the Chargers or Dolphins. 

And the next game he Pennington's his shoulder, needs surgery, is not ready for TC next year, and nobody wants to trade for him?

No thank you.  IR him.