Trevor Lawrence Not the answer: MERGED

Paradis

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm still a Sam believer but I still want us to get Trevor for a few reasons:

1) Sam's salary cap hit

2) I think it will be much easier to hire a high-profile HC if they know they have "the next Elway"

3) Free agents will be more likely to come here if we have a high-profile HC and the hotshot young QB

4) This might just be more of a bonus but it will help excite the fanbase.

The next Elway?? The 2 bowls they won was thanks to Terrell Davis. In Elway's career he completed 60 % of his passes just 3 times in 16 seasons. Never threw more then 27 tds in a season and just 1 season where he had 4,000 yds passing.. :eek:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

18 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm still a Sam believer but I still want us to get Trevor for a few reasons:

1) Sam's salary cap hit

2) I think it will be much easier to hire a high-profile HC if they know they have "the next Elway"

3) Free agents will be more likely to come here if we have a high-profile HC and the hotshot young QB

4) This might just be more of a bonus but it will help excite the fanbase.

I feel similarly...I like Sam, I have his jersey and his bobblehead on my desk as I type. But the missing games for 3 seasons in a row concerns me. The inconsistent play concerns me. The laid back surfer mentality in New York concerns me. I think with the right coach and the right players Sam can be a good QB, maybe even a great QB...something the Jets haven't had since I don't even remember. 

But, if you have the chance to get the top rated QB over not just this season but multiple seasons and he has the chance to be an ELITE QB and you don't need to trade away 2 years worth of draft picks to get him, you have to take that chance. If Douglas is who we think he is, we won't be in this position again for the next 4 years. 

• Upvote 1

On paper Sam isn't the worst part about the team but if you get #1 you still take Trevor. You can still like Sam but also see the value of taking Trevor and resetting the QB contract clock. With a REAL HC and if Trevor is the real deal we can have the offense looking competent next year. Add a big time OL & WR in free agency to pair with Becton & Mims, and draft a WR with the Seattle pick and another OL or Eteinne at 33. Defense will still be a dumpster fire but the O can be serviceable. The HC hire will be make or break  

• Upvote 2

It's pretty simple, Darnold needs to save his own career here. He needs to get on the field and win some games to make it not a point of discussion. If we are staring at Trevor Lawrence with the top pick then Darnold didn't do his job. Good QBs will win a game no matter what kind of talent is surrounding them

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I loved KJ as a Jet but his is letting his USC homer glasses blind him from reality.    You line Darnold and Lawrence up side by side and you take Lawrence 10 times out of 10.  No knock on Darnold that is just where this kids upside is.   This clip explains why Jets will be taking Darnold if they have the number 1 pick and Lawrence decides to come out.  

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30146831 

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've been saying this all fall.  And I don't think it's necessarily propping Darnold up either.  Unless things change dramatically quickly overall on the roster, Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be a miracle cure.  

That's not to say you pass on him, but the issues with the Jets don't start with Darnold.  He's probably not even in the top 3.

Is that enough to hitch your wagon too?  That's also hard to say.  I lean no, and take Lawrence, but the roster will need to get better in a real hurry otherwise Lawrence could face a similar fate.

Was Elway a miracle cure for Denver?  No he wasn't in fact until the got Terrell Davis it looked like he would never win a Superbowl (although he took his team to several.)   Guess what, you still take Elway right?  Same with Lawrence.  No one has a crystal ball and can see the future but only an idiot passes over TL because of Sam Darnold.  Sorry that is just fact.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Was Elway a miracle cure for Denver?  No he wasn't in fact until the got Terrell Davis it looked like he would never win a Superbowl (although he took his team to several.)   Guess what, you still take Elway right?  Same with Lawrence.  No one has a crystal ball and can see the future but only an idiot passes over TL because of Sam Darnold.  Sorry that is just fact.  

That's pretty much exactly what I said.  I say right in my post that I'd still take Lawrence.  I think there is a pretty sizable group of people on this site though that just think a QB just fixes everything and we go from 0-16 to playoff contenders in the blink of an eye all on the big right arm and long sampson-esque hair of Trevor Lawrence.  I think those folks might be in for some disappointment.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The next Elway?? The 2 bowls they won was thanks to Terrell Davis. In Elway's career he completed 60 % of his passes just 3 times in 16 seasons. Never threw more then 27 tds in a season and just 1 season where he had 4,000 yds passing.. :eek:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

There's no question Terrell Davis (and their defense) was a huge part of him winning his SBs (though more so his first than his 2nd).  However, he still got them to 3 SBs that they lost (to NYG, Washington, SF) so it's not like he never had success prior to Davis.

As for your point about his stats, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  Are you aware that Joe Montana never threw for 4,000 yards in a season?  And that Joe Flacco is about to pass Montana for career passing yards?  This current era is MUCH DIFFERENT than back in the Elway/Montana era.  Go back and watch on YouTube if you'd like to see how different it is.

The NFL is a massively watered down product these days.  All these points and passing yards are probably largely a result of studies that found that "fans like offense".  

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I fcking livid with the Jets for not giving us a proper 3 year assessment period with Darnold. Look at this sh*t on the field. A disasterpiece. Total nightmare. We're supposed to evaluate his development with the last 2 years under Gase?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME... Look at Tannehill for Christ sakes.... "quick, lets go find a new toy and break it" 

I don't know if I'm ready to call TL generation. Too much Hyperbole in college evaluation these days.  Is it crazy to try something different and trade the #1 pick for 2-3 top 50 picks this year and next year and actually move the needle at WR/RB/Olne/secondary?

Same here.  Absolutely livid.  We've struggled for decades to find a FQB and when we finally have a guy that has the potential (Chad, to me, was a joke btw), we're seriously going to piss him away after 3 years of this sh*tshow we've surrounded him with?!  Adam Gase?!  Dowell Loggains?!  That OL?!  Those "weapons"?!  It makes me sick.

Otoh, if Trevor is what they say (and I don't follow college closely enough to really make a judgment) then I don't think we can pass him up.

• Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've been saying this all fall.  And I don't think it's necessarily propping Darnold up either.  Unless things change dramatically quickly overall on the roster, Trevor Lawrence isn't going to be a miracle cure.  

That's not to say you pass on him, but the issues with the Jets don't start with Darnold.  He's probably not even in the top 3.

Is that enough to hitch your wagon too?  That's also hard to say.  I lean no, and take Lawrence, but the roster will need to get better in a real hurry otherwise Lawrence could face a similar fate.

Talent-wise, Darnold is not the #1 issue, and he's probably not top #3, as you say.  However, when you aren't set at QB, QB is always the #1.  So, I guess what I'm saying is, Darnold is the #1 issue, despite not being the #1 issue.

• Upvote 1