Trevor Lawrence Not the answer: MERGED

Paradis

32 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Colts fan here .....Was just listening to John Clayton on WFAN Indianapolis (Colts flagship radio station ) suggesting the horrifying...HORRIFYING idea of the Colts trading for Darnold ...........Add this  >>>>>I am a lifetime USC Trojan fan and want NO PART of Darnold !.......I hope you guys get it turned around !!!!!

I’ve been predicting Sam to the Colts for 2 second round picks. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

no he wasn't... that's ignorant to ignore his prior develop under the regime pre-Gase... Adam got his hands on Ryan after he'd be playing for 3 or so seasons, he proceeded to flash for a FEW GAMES... before Gase metastasized across the whole roster and ruined him and every other semblance of talent. 

Dude had 93.2 QB rating under Gase and made the playoffs . He certainly shown more under gase than darnold has .

Besides his obvious talent, you MUST draft Trevor Lawrence if your there at #1 pick because you have to ask yourself with the current state of QB contracts, do you pay this version of Sam Darnold ~36 mill in 2 years.  The answer should be no, so Trevor on the cheap for the next 4 years to me greatly out weighs the money Darnold will want in 2.  Although, I will say that I would love to pay Sam Darnold that money because that means he is indeed a FQB, but not this David Carr'd version of Sam.  The jets take much of the blame for this, but it is what it is at this point. Take a miraculous turn around for JD to not take Lawrence at #1.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Dude had 93.2 QB rating under Gase and made the playoffs . He certainly shown more under gase than darnold has .

Gase also took over Manning and rode him to a SB.

whats your point. Gase took over in 2016 and had flashes of success with Tannehill (wildcard appearance) before he fcked him up. Same story would probably hold true with Darnold in theory had Gase taken over his career 4 seasons in. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Disagree. That's how you end up with Quinnen Williams. Any GM worth their salt should be trying to poke holes on anything that seems that slam dunk. Get to know the prospects/plans intimately. What the risks are...  It seems juvenile not to entertain plans B and C and make an educated decision. 

I mean consensus/conventional wisdom seems a little different when you're dealing with the most hyped QB prospect in a decade vs. dealing with a DT at 3rd overall.

11 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Has anyone actually taken the position that drafting Lawrence is the only thing this team needs to be competitive?

Nope. In fact, ALL of my rosterbating includes Lawrence, Ettienne, and Wyatt Davis (all in the 1st) to go along with some promising WR talent in the mid rounds (2 of: Seth Williams, Tylan Wallace, Justyn Ross, Terrance Marshall), and a lumbering TE with great hands. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Gase also took over Manning and rode him to a SB.

whats your point. Gase took over in 2016 and had flashes of success with Tannehill (wildcard appearance) before he fcked him up. Same story would probably hold true with Darnold in theory had Gase taken over his career 4 seasons in. 

Tannehill got hurt. You seem to have alot of excuses for Sam. But wanna make big deal out of 1 bad game by lawrence.

it dont even matter i want gase and sam gone

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I'm a Trevor Lawrence fan, and he may wind up being the direction we go in, but some of you - the same majority blowing Sam before we drafted him, are completely out of control right now. 

Trevor in Green and White right now, isn't going to look all that different from Sam or anyone else with this organization and roster. Take a deep breath.

Fake news. 

Can't get emotionally invested in a tank season. The majority of college QBs soon become a product of their  environment. No one who watched Allen and Jackson would have thought they would have such a successful pro career and Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield would struggle. 

Every once in a while you get a transcendent talent like Mahomes or Wilson. Sure Lawrence might become another such generational talent but right now he's 0-6 if he's on the current Jets roster under Gase.

Wake me up when Gase is gone and I might get excited again. 

7 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Can't get emotionally invested in a tank season. The majority of college QBs soon become a product of their  environment. No one who watched Allen and Jackson would have thought they would have such a successful pro career and Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield would struggle. 

Every once in a while you get a transcendent talent like Mahomes or Wilson. Sure Lawrence might become another such generational talent but right now he's 0-6 if he's on the current Jets roster under Gase.

Wake me up when Gase is gone and I might get excited again. 

They would of never been drafted in rd 1 if anyone believed that 

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

Colts fan here .....Was just listening to John Clayton on WFAN Indianapolis (Colts flagship radio station ) suggesting the horrifying...HORRIFYING idea of the Colts trading for Darnold ...........Add this  >>>>>I am a lifetime USC Trojan fan and want NO PART of Darnold !.......I hope you guys get it turned around !!!!!

How the hell is that horrifying?

Colts fans have been basically watching Peyton, Luck and now Rivers behind center for the last 25 years.

The most spoiled fan base when it comes to QB play this side of Green Bay and New England.

You remember that sh*tastic year of Curtis Painter?

Want that to become the new norm?

Teams like Pittsburgh, New Orleans and Indianapolis who have aging QB’s and routinely pick in the 20’s should be tripping over their own feet rushing to land a 23 year old QB with the natural talent that Darnold possesses.

• Upvote 1

I agree with a lot of what Keyshawn says, however,

1) Lawrence is just head and shoulders a better prospect than Darnold was coming out. I had a lukewarm assessment on Lawrence's tape last year, but this year he has made a jump. I'm starting to think you can make an argument that Lawrence is a better prospect than Luck coming out. 

2) I can give Darnold a pass because of the weapons and coaching, but the injuries are now an issue. It's been 3 years in a row that he has missed games. Durability typically doesn't get better as you get older. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I agree with a lot of what Keyshawn says, however,

1) Lawrence is just head and shoulders a better prospect than Darnold was coming out. I had a lukewarm assessment on Lawrence's tape last year, but this year he has made a jump. I'm starting to think you can make an argument that Lawrence is a better prospect than Luck coming out. 

2) I can give Darnold a pass because of the weapons and coaching, but the injuries are now an issue. It's been 3 years in a row that he has missed games. Durability typically doesn't get better as you get older. 

lol. Cool. What are your credentials, sir?

• Thumb Down 1

Here’s the thing.... The Jets suck.. They suck real bad. Darnold likely returns starting next week. There is 10 games left.  The Jets are starting to get a little healthier. I’d be willing to bet we win at least 3 or 4 games when all this happens. So yeah... they’ll pick top five AGAIN! But the Jets WILL NOT get TL. I promise.

Like it or not Jet fans... We will continue to suck forever. 

Death, taxes, Jets suck. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I'm a Trevor Lawrence fan, and he may wind up being the direction we go in, but some of you - the same majority blowing Sam before we drafted him, are completely out of control right now. 

Trevor in Green and White right now, isn't going to look all that different from Sam or anyone else with this organization and roster. Take a deep breath.

It’s funny you bring this game up cause it’s literally the only bad game he’s had his whole life going back to high school 

• Upvote 1

Assuming we get the No. 1 pick right now (or even No. 2 to be honest, because I love Fields as well), I wouldn't trade Darnold.  You pick up his 5th year option, and you see what he has with a new coach, and possibly better talent.  It might be similar to the Kelly Bryant issue at Clemson, but Darnold's value is at it's lowest coming off a sh*t show this year between injuries and Gase.  

This way, we allow Lawrence to develop instead of throwing him into the fire right away, and possibly have him understand the game.  If Darnold does well, you have a luxury problem.  If Darnold doesn't do well, he's still young and under contract for one more year retaining some value.  

The risk is of course, someone like Darnold fetches a high second or low first to someone that fetches low second or high third.  However, the payoff could be someone that fetches a good first round pick if he remotely proves to be good when we actually have a bit more talent around him.  I don't understand the Darnold must be traded the moment we secure the first pick line, because we're selling really low on Darnold, when guys like Tannehill rebuilt their value without Gase.  

If we hate Gase so much, and we agree that he isn't an offensive genius (and I'm guilty of buying into his kool aid), then why trade Darnold much like Miami traded Tannehill?  I'd rather see if there's a chance he could rebuild his value.  

On to Lawrence, I think he's a slightly better version of Darnold coming out of college.  He has a better arm, and I think a better understanding of pre-snap concepts.  The issue really about his transition to the NFL depends on the system, because I don't think many QBs will survive on the garbage we throw out there.  I see more complex offenses being run in like Conference USA.  

We need a system that utilizes RPO because both Darnold/Lawrence (Fields) are athletic enough to be a threat, although we don't need to go Lamar Jackson level.  Pre-snap motions to allow the QB to discern what kind of coverage, so they have a better understanding.  A coach that actually understands how to make adjustments to the system based on their player's skills.  

I don't know if Lawrence is the answer, but I don't think trading Darnold the moment Lawrence becomes a Jet is the answer as well.  

• Upvote 2

Nothing matters no players no coaches, nothing, the only thing that is important about the NY Jets is they are being run by the worst owners in all pro sports. Period and until that changes the Jets will Never. Go. Anywhere.

The rich boys must sell this team

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

"Guys, taking Peyton Manning isn't going to save the Colts. We have much bigger issues with this team that led us to the first overall pick, we should trade down and build around Jim Harbaugh." -- some Colts fans in early 1998

I love this. It deserves to be on the JN home page or something. Awesome!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know many are sold on him being the savior (same ppl who were sold on Sam) and i'm not saying they're wrong - but let's also honor the strength of the program he's playing on, the talent on offense he's surrounded, system etc... he looked very pedestrain at times last year, including the big games like the championship when he faced a defense with NFL future stars. 

IOW - he's not perfect. 

And I wonder if playing for this Jets team - you're gonna see yet another QB struggle with a talent depleted roster. 

100% he's going to struggle, any qb is going to struggle with this roster... its absolutely the worst most talent depleted roster in the league.  The two things I keep thinking about right now is 1) is Lawrence a better prospect than Darnold was, and do I think he can be a better pro.  2) Is building a roster around Lawrence on a new rookie deal a better prospect than having to pay Darnold soon (probably when we still arent sure about him) and build around him.  

Frankly, I dont know which way I'm fully leaning yet. 

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Last year against LSU ?

He has a sub par game against the best team in the country and that's what we want to focus on. Okay.  Jets Fans Gonna Jet.  What is it "to Jet" you ask?  When you look a gift horse in the mouth and find the one cavity that needs filling.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

To you I say watch Darnold throw a football then watch Lawrence or even Fields and there is a night and day difference. That being said ANY QB is a crap shoot as we have seen through out the years. When you have a QB like Darnold who came into the NFL with major mechanic flaws and a very short period of work at the QB position you will run into trouble because mechanics are very hard to change, that stuff is engrained at a young age in a football career while Darnold was playing LB.

So Im excited about the fact we will be getting a QB who knows the position has flawless mechanic's and has shown he can play under some serious pressure and still win .... See the Clemson Ohio State game for proof of that

• Upvote 2