Trevor Lawrence Not the answer: MERGED

Paradis

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

All I said is hes being called so and so. You seem to be taking this as an affront to your scouting abilities.  Sorry I dont agree with you.  He does have a big arm, you've said he doesnt.  You have said he has accuracy issues, sorry he doesnt.  

The guy has been a top prospect from the time he went to HS,  He finished that with what 29-0 before he lost a game at Clemson?  If it wasn't for TL carrying the team they dont get to the BCS.  Then its a knock when he cant beat the better team, the guy who gets knocked for usually being on the better team?  These are the reasons he's being hyped.  Hes been that good.  His measurable are that good.  From his arm strength to his accuracy.  Sorry if you disagree. 

Again, I was repeating what is being said about the kid.  I wanted Watson, loved that he was a winner, like TL.  Youre way to invested and sensitive to this whole TL thing.  Dont kill the messenger reporting what you know is being said about him

Dude, ugh, I never said the bold.  I never disagreed he's a great prospect.  He's going #1 overall.  I'm not even disputing that and I dont why you keep act like I am and spinning sh*t around unless your just trolling me at this point. 

I'm simply giving a critique of a player that I think is being overhyped.  I watched every single snap he took last season and I'm sharing my thoughts.  At the same time, I'm providing a perspective on a different player who is more than likely going #2 overall and I also watched all his snaps last season.  It's not like I'm talking about some nobody player and creating something out of nothing.  Fields was the #2 prospect in the country coming out of HS and had better passing stats than Lawrence last year and IMO when they went head to head in the playoffs, looked like the better passer of the Football. 

If you do not appreciate my take, then cool disagree but you're making it out like I've said he's not good and I never ever said that, not once.  Lawrence is a great prospect.  I dont think he's generational.  I like Fields as a prospect who I dont think is generational either.  I shared why based on what I saw with my own to eyes, not someone else.  This isnt about my scouting abilities.  lol  It's about having a conversation about 2 very good QB's who the Jets might have a shot a draft.  While I'm confident we're going 0-16, nothing is guaranteed. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

agreed. That kind of risk assessment can't be done yet. Need to see where things shake out come the end of Dec

One thing we know, one way or another things are going to get crazy, there should be a hell of a lot of moves coming at season ends. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dude, ugh, I never said the bold.  I never disagreed he's a great prospect.  He's going #1 overall.  I'm not even disputing that and I dont why you keep act like I am and spinning sh*t around unless your just trolling me at this point. 

I'm simply giving a critique of a player that I think is being overhyped.  I watched every single snap he took last season and I'm sharing my thoughts.  At the same time, I'm providing a perspective on a different player who is more than likely going #2 overall and I also watched all his snaps last season.  It's not like I'm talking about some nobody player and creating something out of nothing.  Fields was the #2 prospect in the country coming out of HS and had better passing stats than Lawrence last year and IMO when they went head to head in the playoffs, looked like the better passer of the Football. 

If you do not appreciate my take, then cool disagree but you're making it out like I've said he's not good and I never ever said that, not once.  Lawrence is a great prospect.  I dont think he's generational.  I like Fields as a prospect who I dont think is generational either.  I shared why based on what I saw with my own to eyes, not someone else.  This isnt about my scouting abilities.  lol  It's about having a conversation about 2 very good QB's who the Jets might have a shot a draft.  While I'm confident we're going 0-16, nothing is guaranteed. 

Youre right.  I said that earlier we dont have to agree  

Trevor Lawrence hits every single measurable and you now have written a couple of pages all because I said the reports that praise his talent, size, arm accuracy etc are the reasons hes hyped.  

I'm not getting the anger, no one is contesting your ability to scout NFL talent

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

You're not way off or anything - but history says that it's never quite that linear/black and white. Organizations constantly deviate from common-think like "new coach wants his own prospect to mold". 

We're going to have Two 1s and one 2 at the moment. 

• 1st - Lawrence
  • 1st - ?
  • 2nd - ?

Here's a list of needs presently (dire needs)

• WR (2)
  • RB (1)
  • TE (2)
  • RT (1)
  • CB (3)
  • OLB (2)
  • DE (2)
  • OG (1)

Trevor Lawrence is going to have his ass handed to him in almost identical fashion as Sam. 

People on JN are either A) Dramatically underestimating how depleted this roster is, or B) Dramatically over estimating what TL is going to be able to do. Not saying pass on TL, but there's a much bigger conversation than "Take TL and don't look back".

I'm not underestimating anything about this roster.  It is complete trash.  I just trust that we have a competent GM, which makes all the difference.  Thus I would have no issue with going ahead and taking the QB now.  Sink or swim with Lawrence/Fields/Lance, Joe Douglas, and whoever the next HC is.

If they fail we're f**ked regardless, because then the Johnson's will hire another Maccagnan and the cycle will continue.  So why worry about that now?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The roster sucks but if we dump Gase, hire a good coach and make a few good moves we'll be fine.

You'd be surprised what a roster full of jags looks like when they're well coached. Look what the Panthers have done this year. Loaded with young guys, everyone thought their defense would be the worst in the league, patchwork offense led by castoffs like Teddy Bridgewater and Robby. Turns out when a good coach gets their hands on these guys they can play -- lose their best player and don't miss a beat.

IMO you take Lawrence and then you go ALL IN on surrounding him with talent. You draft a RB, draft two WRs, draft two lineman. Sign a few key pieces in FA. I honestly would have no issue neglecting defense entirely this year. Just acquire as much talent as possible on offense for to set him up to hit the ground running.

He is a good coach.... good luck going out a finding a new one. Destined for 15 more years of pain, bring it on.

Stick with Gase, let him build the team in his vision. I know we all love hating on gase but lets face it guys a superbowl coach. 

#GasedGod 

• Thumb Down 2

On 10/19/2020 at 3:54 PM, Savage69 said:

The next Elway?? The 2 bowls they won was thanks to Terrell Davis. In Elway's career he completed 60 % of his passes just 3 times in 16 seasons. Never threw more then 27 tds in a season and just 1 season where he had 4,000 yds passing.. :eek:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

I'll take six AFC championships, five super bowl appearances and two rings. Remember when Terrell Davis didn't help Elway to three other Super Bowl appearances? I'll gladly take the next Elway. I was just looking at two all-time lists and Elway was listed as 9 and 12. This is an awful take. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Darnold has played 4 games this season. Is that enough for you to confidently proclaim he has "completely regressed this season."

Absolutely.  Especially since him missing the last 2 games was:  1) His own fault, and 2) An alarming trend.  He's now missed 2+ games for 3 straight seasons to start his career.  Add that to the growing list of reasons to suggest he's not the guy.

30 starts is more than enough to say he doesn't have "it".

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FiremanEdIsMyDad said:

Yeah how about Super Bowl XLVIII? Masterminding a record setting offense and helped bring peyton back to prominence after noticeable decline..... Somehow people are quick to forget that

#GasedGod

Oh my bad, I thought you were trying to praise Gase by calling him a SB winning OC. I didn't realize you were giving him credit for one of the single worst offensive performances in SB history. In that case, I agree with you. The guy is just about the dumbest offensive mind ever. 

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Darnold has played 4 games this season. Is that enough for you to confidently proclaim he has "completely regressed this season."

He played four games and was "bad" in two of them and "meh" in the other two. That's not what we expected in year 3 of Darnold. 

I thought he would be better this year and he just hasn't been. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Oh my bad, I thought you were trying to praise Gase by calling him a SB winning OC. I didn't realize you were giving him credit for one of the single worst offensive performances in SB history. In that case, I agree with you. The guy is just about the dumbest offensive mind ever. 

I dont see you coaching in many superbowls....

#YouGotGasedGod

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, FiremanEdIsMyDad said:

I see football, what about you? You probably want The Sanchise back. Lets bring Rex off the ESPN desk while were at. Oh and why dont you look for Vinny Testaverde as a solid veteran backup. 

#GasedGod

Hows life in Buffalo?

Shltty I bet

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I’m a big fan of Sam but I’ve come to terms with the fact that this is probably the end of the road in New York.  I don’t blame Sam, I blame the organization.  The set this kid up for failure.  Not talent around him, no protection, and two of the worst coaches you could possibly ask for.  I’m not saying he was great but he showed flashes in the rare times he had some support.  Sadly we know he will go to another team and most likely be a good QB.  As for Lawrence I would obviously be happy if we got him but we can’t make the same mistake we made with Sam.  The kid needs much more support around him and better coaches.  We will have a lot of picks and cash to build around him.  They better do it right this time if it happens 

This is the unfortunate reality for those countless fans of struggling teams around the NFL like the New York Jets (3-12), the Jacksonville Jaguars (3-12), Tennessee Titans (2-13), Oakland Raiders (3-12), Washington Redskins (4-11), Chicago Bears (5-10) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-13).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2311552-why-nfl-teams-dont-tank-for-a-better-draft-position

This article is important because it is sobering to consider how "winning" the lottery for a franchise QB so often is not the answer to solving a team's losing prospects. All of these teams except the Jags or and Raiders landed their top of the Draft Franchise QB in 2017 or later -- Jets - Darnold; Titans - Mariota; Skins - Haskins; Bears - Trubisky; Bucs - Winston. In fairness, the Jags got their guy - Bortles in 2014.  

Anyway, the franchise QB they drafted did not deliver them to the promised land. Perhaps the QB you select at the top of the draft is far less important than the team/organization/Head Coach that selects him. Selected in the first round of the draft by teams like the Steelers, Ravens or Cowboys. Or by a coach like Andy Reid (Chiefs were losers before Reid). Well, then you've got a great chance to fulfill your potential, and then some. Taken by the Jets, Jags, Bucs, et. al. kiss your second contract goodbye. 

Notably, of the teams that have turned it around, the Raiders flipped the script by hiring Gruden and moving, the Titans have cast their lot with Mike Vrabel (who certainly appears to be the real deal), the Bucs hired Arians and signed Brady.

So, where am I going with this? ..... To paraphrase the Clinton 1992 Presidential Campaign. It's the organization, stupid.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:42 AM, JiF said:

Lol - For real though, why do I need to give anything a rest?  We're here on a message board, talking Football, specifically the future of the franchise and I need to give it a rest that I dont think Trevor is perfect?  Sorry bud, aint going to happen.  If I joined the ridiculous over hype Trevor crowd, what fun would it be?  The circle jerk is ridiculous at this point.  You should be thanking me for giving a contrainain perspective, not scolding me for it.  Especially considering I've actually taken the time to watch both players, every single damn snap they've ever taken and Im not just throwing out some garbage hot takes to be different and even more so because I kind of have a track record of nailing this stuff but whatevs, the experts.  lol

Right now, yes, I think Fields is better passer.  I think he need to do a better job handling pressure.  He tends to leave the pocket to eIarly.  That said, I think he brings a dynamic that Trevor doesnt.  I'm also basing the opinion off 1 year of play and I've said numerous times that my opinion is subject to change based on how this season goes.  I'm just simply looking at the 2 prospects and giving my take.  Sorry if it's inconvenient to the Trevor is God Club.  He's not, he has flaws and I'm not convinced ball placement and accuracy are easily fixable, like you suggest.   The league hasnt been kind to guys who struggle in that dept.

And all that said, Ive steady maintained, Im not sure how RIGHT NOW, you could pass on him assuming the Jets have #1 overall.  Something drastic would have to change or Fields would have to come out and have Joe Burrow like year leap frogging Lawrence, which I dont think will happen but there are more than 1 reason for that...

I'm personally okay with either one.  In fact I am glad we have two very talented quarterbacks available in case we end up with the 2nd pick overall. Fields is a hell of a consolation prize.  

On 10/20/2020 at 9:13 PM, FiremanEdIsMyDad said:

He is a good coach.... good luck going out a finding a new one. Destined for 15 more years of pain, bring it on.

Stick with Gase, let him build the team in his vision. I know we all love hating on gase but lets face it guys a superbowl coach. 

#GasedGod 

You Must be suffering from carbon monoxide 

On 10/19/2020 at 9:53 PM, joewilly12 said:

Keyshawn Johnson is sticking up for his USC buddy if Sam Darnold was the QB throwing the ball to Keyshawn he would think differently. 

He’s also not entirely wrong.  Gase makes all of his offensive players worse look at Tannehill, Drake, Robby etc