jetstream23

"Gase's best chance to make it through the year might be to keep losing and make the job so toxic that nobody else would want it, even on an interim basis." - ESPN

lol...and away we go!

This speaks to exactly the problem the Jets may have.  Losing and getting a 1st overall pick isn't a bad thing....unless your tank is so epic and the organization looks so toxic that good Head Coach candidates and even college quarterbacks don't want to come here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30142647/nfl-hot-seat-ratings-coaches-players-get-fired-benched-2020-including-adam-gase-kirk-cousins

NFL hot seat ratings: Coaches and players who could get fired or benched in 2020, including Adam Gase, Kirk Cousins

The NFL can be a fickle league. Nobody roots for coaches to get fired or players to be benched, but those consequences are a fact of the football universe. We saw Texans coach/general manager Bill O'Brien get fired after Week 4 and Falcons coach Dan Quinn follow him out the door the following week. They're not the only ones who have come up for discussion; search for any player or coach on social media after a bad game or even a bad moment and you'll read about how they need to be benched, fired or excommunicated in order for their team to finally get things right.

Of course, most of the time, we're overreacting. Every week, there's at least one player or coach who is brought up as a possible candidate to be dumped but has no chance of being let go anytime soon. We also use the word "benched" as a one-size catch-all when it just doesn't apply. Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield struggled against the Steelers and was replaced by Case Keenum in the fourth quarter of a blowout, but he was pulled from the game because he has a rib issue and was taking hits in a lost cause, not because of his performance.

Let's work through the various coaches, players and executives who have been on the hot seat over the past few weeks. What's going on with them? Is there any chance that their team is about to make a move? And since we don't want people to lose their job, what can they do to get back on track? I'll start with the hottest seats and work my way down to the folks who don't really have anything to worry about:

Seats are aflame

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Adam Gase, coach, and Gregg Williams, DC, New York Jets

The entire Gase era in New York has felt like a game of "Can you top this?" for weird, oft-unforced errors. The latest came this week, when Williams blamed some of the defense's struggles on the offense. Gase responded after Sunday's 24-0 loss to the Dolphins by suggesting that he wasn't happy about his defensive coordinator's comments.

Now, most defensive coordinators wouldn't typically throw their offense under the bus for their defense's problems, but after watching Sunday's game, the former Saints defensive coordinator might have a point. Williams' defense allowed three touchdown passes to Ryan Fitzpatrick early in the game, but the Jets intercepted Fitzpatrick twice, held the Dolphins to a lone third-down conversion and won the turnover battle. They still lost by 24 points.

Gase's offense has been comically bad, but even the numbers undersell just how poorly the Jets have played. They have scored seven touchdowns in six games, which is bad, but take a closer look. One of those touchdowns was a pick-six. Two were scores in the final two minutes of the game when they were trailing by multiple touchdowns. One was a 46-yard Sam Darnold scramble for a touchdown on a play when none of his receivers were open. Another was a 69-yard Jamison Crowder touchdown on a third-and-7 screen where the Bills missed two tackles. Plenty of teams score touchdowns on scrambles and in garbage time, of course, but the Jets virtually only score those sorts of touchdowns.

ESPN Daily podcast: Barnwell breaks down Week 6 in the NFL.

At 0-6, the Jets are now the only winless team. Over the next three weeks, they will play the Bills, Chiefs and Patriots before their Week 10 bye. The ESPN Football Power Index (FPI) gives the Jets a 51.2% chance of hitting their bye at 0-9. They have a 57.4% chance of finishing with the first overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft, which would theoretically give them the right to draft Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence. (I say theoretical because they were once burned by a quarterback unexpectedly staying in college for one final season the last time they had the first overall pick.)

Even among 0-6 teams, the Jets are particularly awful. They've been outscored by 110 points, the ninth-worst mark for any 0-6 team since the merger. After the game, veteran back Frank Gore was fuming that the team didn't get its offense going until the fourth quarter and that it can't afford to wait until the final quarter again next week. The second-saddest thing about that phrase is that Gore was highlighting a quarter where the Jets were shut out as the offense they need to embody in the weeks to come. The saddest thing is that Gore was right, as they looked much better in the fourth quarter than they did at any point earlier in the game.

If they did want a glimmer of hope Sunday, they could have looked toward the opposite sideline, as the 2019 Dolphins were one of the eight teams with a worse point differential after starting 0-6. Brian Flores' team started 0-7 and then won five of its last nine games. After blowing out the 49ers and Jets in consecutive weeks, the Dolphins are now 3-3. They've gone from embarrassingly bad to average in a year.

Of course, the Dolphins got there by amassing draft picks, committing to their rebuild and keeping the faith with Flores. The Jets appear set to the keep the faith with Gase, but I wonder if it's for another reason ...

The fix: In most cases, I want to try to come up with a scenario where a player or coach could turn things around. Here, though, I think the Jets might be smarter than they seem. The best thing for their future is to finish with the worst possible record and draft Lawrence. With that in mind, the best thing for the organization might be to keep Gase around through the end of the season, given that the overmatched coach hasn't come close to winning a football game this season. It would take an unlikely 6-1 or 7-0 run after the bye for Gase to keep his job for a third season, but his best chance to make it through the year might be to keep losing and make the job so toxic that nobody else would want it, even on an interim basis.

• Sad 1

Not possible. All you gotta do is fire his ass and its not toxic anymore. JD is ******* up though by keeping him but it might not be his decision

• Upvote 1

Read the article.. not just the headline.

It’s just saying the Jets probably realize keeping Gase this season gets them the #1 pick. 

• Upvote 2

Seriously? This job is much more interesting with a completely dysfunctional 0-16 team with the first pick than a 5-11 team that showed some fight over the second half of the season.  

Ridiculous. There are only 32 nfl head coach positions in the world. The job guarantees you millions, plus this team will likely have the number one pick, multiple draft picks and tons of salary cap space.

The Browns could have had their pick of the litter after Hue Jackson went 1-15, 0-16, and built the most toxic coaching culture in football.  They just f*cked it up and stuck with Hue.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

IMO, this is pure nonsense. It sounds scary on the surface, but when you really think about it, it's bullsh*t. 

If this logic worked, why were the Jets able to replace Rich Kotite with Bill Parcells? 

There will always be guys willing to take a shot at HC of the NYJ. There are 32 of these jobs in the world. 

If we land Trevor Lawrence and promise HC candidates that this is a proper rebuild with 2-3 years of security, we will have plenty of coaches to choose from. 

I think the point is that Gase in his infinite wisdom doesn’t realize it’s a horrible strategy 

Whatever you think about the article, you have to admit that Gase is doing a heck of a job with the "keep losing and make the job so toxic" portion of the headline!

Even Charlie Weis was saying on Sirius NFL Radio, owned by the NFL, that the Jets should get it over with and fire Gase (he used different words).

I agree that keeping Gase and tanking effectively is the right call.  But there will be a price to be paid.  The resulting toxicity to the team and organization will be very, very difficult to clean up.

The Johnsons cannot leave themselves in charge if they do this.  For everyone's good, they should keep Gase, burn the team down, and then hire someone proper to build the entire thing back up.  I don't know who that is. 

If he's not getting fired today I don't think he'll be fired until after the season. It doesn't get much worse than it did yesterday and he's still somehow kept his job.

They don't want to make a move in season. 

My fear is that we win a couple meaningless games down the stretch and the owner uses that as justification to bring Gase back. He's stupid enough to do it. But I don't think the team has enough talent on it to win a couple of games anyway.

Hopefully the veterans start packing it in if they haven't already. It needs to get worse before it hopefully gets better.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Even Charlie Weis was saying on Sirius NFL Radio, owned by the NFL, that the Jets should get it over with and fire Gase (he used different words).

I agree that keeping Gase and tanking effectively is the right call.  But there will be a price to be paid.  The resulting toxicity to the team and organization will be very, very difficult to clean up.

The Johnsons cannot leave themselves in charge if they do this.  For everyone's good, they should keep Gase, burn the team down, and then hire someone proper to build the entire thing back up.  I don't know who that is. 

I think Charlie Weis is another guy who absolutely hates the Jets.  He feels jilted that Al Groh got the job over him.

• Upvote 1

Hate having to talk about this which seems EVERY other year, but damn jets, so here we go....

- Regardless of how terrible this place becomes/is there are only 32 of these positions across football.  Contrary to what the media says, there will be someone clamoring for this job come next year.

-  People underestimate how prideful and egotistical NFL coaches are.  Most of them have been in some assistant coach role that they turned some unit from chicken s*** to chicken salad.  Therefore, given the opportunity to run the entire ship, you would expect them to feel like they can make even make the jets contenders.  One caveat is, they would have request more control usually the worst the team/owner.

-  Then we get to the idea of control.  A coach with said ideals mentioned above, would demand more control.  Listen as terrible as the jets have been, a coach will always jump at the opportunity if given certain levels of control in the org. For example, Gruden.  Although he has Mayock his form of control was a 10 year deal, which guarantees he'll be there longer than you'd expect any GM.  

-Last but not least, possible #1 pick , top 3 in cap space, barely any bloated contracts, the ability to sign/bring your own coaching staff, NY allure( make it here, legend status, blah blah blah), capable GM,  and a "start from scratch roster", a coach can really put is imprint on this team for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure I'm missing more points, but this is my subjective take on the state of our future coaching search.  The question is, who sees what I see and who's willing to turn the jets around.

Oh but hey why would Trevor Lawrence want to dodge the Jets???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDecker said:

Hate having to talk about this which seems EVERY other year, but damn jets, so here we go....

- Regardless of how terrible this place becomes/is there are only 32 of these positions across football.  Contrary to what the media says, there will be someone clamoring for this job come next year.

-  People underestimate how prideful and egotistical NFL coaches are.  Most of them have been in some assistant coach role that they turned some unit from chicken s*** to chicken salad.  Therefore, given the opportunity to run the entire ship, you would expect them to feel like they can make even make the jets contenders.  One caveat is, they would have request more control usually the worst the team/owner.

-  Then we get to the idea of control.  A coach with said ideals mentioned above, would demand more control.  Listen as terrible as the jets have been, a coach will always jump at the opportunity if given certain levels of control in the org. For example, Gruden.  Although he has Mayock his form of control was a 10 year deal, which guarantees he'll be there longer than you'd expect any GM.  

-Last but not least, possible #1 pick , top 3 in cap space, barely any bloated contracts, the ability to sign/bring your own coaching staff, NY allure( make it here, legend status, blah blah blah), capable GM,  and a "start from scratch roster", a coach can really put is imprint on this team for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure I'm missing more points, but this is my subjective take on the state of our future coaching search.  The question is, who sees what I see and who's willing to turn the jets around.

Oh you can find somebody, but we are sick of having our team coached by just anybodys.

Make it so bad that nobody will take an interview.  Do people smoke crack before writing about this franchise?

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The ESPN Football Power Index (FPI) gives the Jets a 51.2% chance of hitting their bye at 0-9.

They think we have a 49% chance of winning one of our next 3?  

• Haha 2

What kind of stupid bullsh*t is this?

LOL

There are 32 of these jobs. Maybe 3 or 4 become obtainable every year to a select handful of people.

People thought the Jets job was toxic after we fired Rex, yet we ended up hiring Bowles who was thought of as one of the Top 2 hottest candidates available at the time (along with Dan Quinn).

When we got rid of Bowles, everyone thought the Jets job was toxic, yet we had Mike McCarthy practically banging the front door down begging for the position and had Matt Rhule ready to take over until we tried dictating his coaching staff.

This is a f*cking NY sports franchise that is steadily inching its way towards a generational QB prospect, a metric sh*t ton of cap space and 4 1st round picks over the next two years alone...

Toxic my assh0le 

Belichick might even decide that the grass is greener over here.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Team archer said:

Not possible. All you gotta do is fire his ass and its not toxic anymore. JD is ******* up though by keeping him but it might not be his decision

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

IMO, this is pure nonsense. It sounds scary on the surface, but when you really think about it, it's bullsh*t. 

If this logic worked, why were the Jets able to replace Rich Kotite with Bill Parcells? 

There will always be guys willing to take a shot at HC of the NYJ. There are 32 of these jobs in the world. 

If we land Trevor Lawrence and promise HC candidates that this is a proper rebuild with 2-3 years of security, we will have plenty of coaches to choose from. 

4 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Seriously? This job is much more interesting with a completely dysfunctional 0-16 team with the first pick than a 5-11 team that showed some fight over the second half of the season.  

4 hours ago, Barkus said:

Ridiculous. There are only 32 nfl head coach positions in the world. The job guarantees you millions, plus this team will likely have the number one pick, multiple draft picks and tons of salary cap space.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The Browns could have had their pick of the litter after Hue Jackson went 1-15, 0-16, and built the most toxic coaching culture in football.  They just f*cked it up and stuck with Hue.

The article was talking about THIS SEASON  and a mid season change, not the long term ability to hire someone.  

Connor Hughes,  who is closer to the team than we are, said that CJ is planning to turn all decisions over to Douglas, and let him hire the next coach. Once people see Gase and Co. get fired and are dealing with JD, their will be plenty of legit candidates for the job, especially with either the first pick or the haul from trading the first pick to work with. 

Probably.   

This is probably why Johnsons forced Gregg Williams on Gase—because Bowles kept blaming and firing any OC that could be seen as a potential threat as heir apparent or interim coach while Kacy Rogers kept a job despite the defense declining every year. Johnsons wanted a viable replacement on staff.

Since that hasn’t worked out, I renew my idea from the Bowles years. Fire Gase and give the interim job to a local HS coach. Sell the story rights to Disney for the next great family sports movie. An especially good idea now with so many HS football programs cancelled due to COVID.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The article was talking about THIS SEASON  and a mid season change, not the long term ability to hire someone.  

Connor Hughes,  who is closer to the team than we are, said that CJ is planning to turn all decisions over to Douglas, and let him hire the next coach. Once people see Gase and Co. get fired and are dealing with JD, their will be plenty of legit candidates for the job, especially with either the first pick or the haul from trading the first pick to work with. 

Probably.   

I read the article.

My response was to the original post of the thread - which extended the logic to the long term

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Charlie Weis is another guy who absolutely hates the Jets.  He feels jilted that Al Groh got the job over him.

then he should hate Bill Parcells