Could the Jets trade UP in the draft

Rhg1084

Assuming they take Lawrence at 1.1, could you see a scenario where Douglas trades the 2 Seattle 1st round picks to move UP in the draft to draft say a Ja’Marr Chasse? I know I know, the Jets have a million holes, it’s a long process bla bla bla. I would just love the idea of pairing these two for the next 10 years. Would be amazing 

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yes

Especially since we should at least get a mid-late 2nd for Darnold.

Quite possibly a late 1st if someone like the Steelers, Saints or Colts decide that they still like Darnold a helluva lot more than Kyle Trask or Kellen Mond.

I know Douglas loves hoarding all the picks in the world, however if Chase is sitting there at like pick 6 or something like that it’d be worth while to try to move up and get him

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

I know Douglas loves hoarding all the picks in the world, however if Chase is sitting there at like pick 6 or something like that it’d be worth while to try to move up and get him

No way we'd be picking lower than 6th. How many games do you think we'll win?

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

No way we'd be picking lower than 6th. How many games do you think we'll win?

Ok in my scenario the Jets get the 1st pick and draft Lawrence. I’m saying after that would you trade draft capital ( the Seattle 1s or the 1st pick of the 2nd round) to move up to pair Lawrence with Chase?

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Never mind Chase, even if DeVonta Smith is sitting there in the 10-15 range, I’d attempt to make a move for him.

Even if we brought in an Allen Robinson, JuJu Smith-Schuster, etc in FA...I’d still do it.

It’s beyond time that this team made a true effort to add legitimate playmakers on the offensive side of the ball.

Trevor Lawrence (or even Darnold) with Robinson, Smith, Crowder and Mims as his Top 4 wideouts?

Yeah, that’s the good stuff.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok in my scenario the Jets get the 1st pick and draft Lawrence. I’m saying after that would you trade draft capital ( the Seattle 1s or the 1st pick of the 2nd round) to move up to pair Lawrence with Chase?

Ah, okay. Gotcha.

Um, tbh, I'm not really familiar with Chase. He's a WR, I take it? If he really is that good, it's an intriguing idea, but I may like to keep the extra picks to stock the cupboard.

I guess it would depend on the talent drop off from Chase to the remaining WRs we could target.

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

They don't have the capital to trade up for chase if they taking lawrence #1. They may be able to trade up to high teens, low 20s. Chase won't be there. Smith maybe...

They have the two Seattle 1st round picks plus pick 33 in the draft. What would it take to move up to like pick 6-8? 

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Ah, okay. Gotcha.

Um, tbh, I'm not really familiar with Chase. He's a WR, I take it? If he really is that good, it's an intriguing idea, but I may like to keep the extra picks to stock the cupboard.

I guess it would depend on the talent drop off from Chase to the remaining WRs we could target.

He’s the consensus #1 WR in the draft. He opted out of the season this year 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

They absolutely should not. Go 0-16 and get the top pick, then use as much capital as possible building the rest of the team.

Yea, The trade is sexy but we have so many needs. Have to trust that JD can draft solid players late first, early second and mid second (Darnold trade pick we get back).

• Upvote 2

The only big trade up I'd make is to get to 1 to take Lawrence.

If we're already at 1, the I'd only move up to jump a few spots here or there if there's someone I like and I think he's gonna get taken a few picks ahead of me, and I don't like the value in that range if I don't get my guy. Even then, I'd probably try to trade back unless I think my guy is a day 1 starter or otherwise potentially special.

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Assuming they take Lawrence at 1.1, could you see a scenario where Douglas trades the 2 Seattle 1st round picks to move UP in the draft to draft say a Ja’Marr Chasse? I know I know, the Jets have a million holes, it’s a long process bla bla bla. I would just love the idea of pairing these two for the next 10 years. Would be amazing 

For the QB they want, yes

No one else.

But a team like Cincy or Chargers wind up 1st, you should be at the front of the line looking to trade.  Unless JD really loves Sam

10 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Trading up when your team sucks is idiotic. The best thing we have going for us right now is that we have a lot of picks and they’re going to be high.

Yeah and if you believe TL your guy and Sam isnt, you trade up.  Passing up on a potential FQB, an organizational game changer is idiotic 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

A lot will change from now until the drafts but if the Jets secure the number one pick and select Lawrence then packaging Darnold and the Seattle pick to move up in the first wouldn't be a bad idea.  Perhaps Seattle loses a few games down the stretch and they end up picking in the mid twenties rather than the 30s.  Perhaps Chase shows up at the combine unprepared or with him sitting out the season may drop his stock a little.  There could be a scenario where he ends up dropping into the mid to late teens with OTs, CBs, EDGE, and QBs getting pushed up.  Jerry Jeudy this time last year was mocked as a top 5 selection and fell to 15.  If the Jets select Lawrence, pairing him with Chase, by giving up the Seattle pick and Darnold, would be intriguing.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Trade down from #1 and end up with a guy like etienne late 1st, your pick of any wr you like earlier and probably another guy like pitts as well

I still think you take Lawrence at 1.1 and keep Darnold and let them battle it out under a new coaching staff and a better roster, but by god would your scenario be enticing. 

To answer the OP's question, no one will trade away 1.1 this year, so unless we earn it ourselves, you can kiss it goodbye. 

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Nobody is trading Trevor Lawrence my man. NFL GMs aren't as dumb as a lot of Jets fans.

Cincinnati is drafting Trevor Lawrence if they finish with the top pick?  How about the Chargers?  Both would trade him for picks as they should.

Its some Jets fans.  As with every teams fanbase.  

Nobody is trading Trevor Lawrence my man. NFL GMs aren't as dumb as a lot of Jets fans.
Its still a crap shoot. Nobody with a young QB that they like and is playing well already is taking Lawrence. For example...
Cincinnati is drafting Trevor Lawrence if they finish with the top pick?  How about the Chargers?  Both would trade him for picks as they should.
Its some Jets fans.  As with every teams fanbase.